Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
One of my neighbors just moved up here from LA and he was jumping between being excited and freaking out by the snow we got here. It's strange times when a Californian beach bum screams "OH MY GOD IS IT SNOWING IN OCTOBER?!". Meanwhile I remember when I had to incorporate snow-pants into my Halloween costume as a kid because there was a solid foot and a half of snow and sub-zero temperatures.

You'd get a good belly laugh out of a Seattle winter. A good 6" of snow shuts everything down.
London will shut down for the wrong sort of leaves on the tracks,[1] let alone snow. A few years ago I was stuck in a train around New Cross Gate for 6 hours before they got the trains underway again.

Apparently they use some sort of reflectometer or something along those lines to measure the positions of the trains on the tracks, and the leaves interfere with the sensors.

Last edited:
My wife was there for a week a few years back and said it was lovely. Said there was a great Greek restaurant there.
Melbourne is also good for that sort of thing. There are some big expat communities and loads of Greek, Turkish, Italian and other restaurants there. It's quite a class act, really - big city facilities without feeling too rat-racey, plus a nice cafe culture. I think if I was going to move back down under I'd give serious consideration to setting up shop in Melbourne.

One of my neighbors just moved up here from LA and he was jumping between being excited and freaking out by the snow we got here. It's strange times when a Californian beach bum screams "OH MY GOD IS IT SNOWING IN OCTOBER?!". Meanwhile I remember when I had to incorporate snow-pants into my Halloween costume as a kid because there was a solid foot and a half of snow and sub-zero temperatures.
The city had to essentially cancel Halloween here a couple of years ago because it was like -45 or something.

I lived in L.A. for five years. The one day it snowed that I can recall I was out of town

I had the pleasure of visiting Banff during the summer many years. The Hotel there made me think of The Shining.

I had the 'pleasure' of camping a bit west of Banff (Kananaskis) for a Scouting World Jamboree. I got borderline hypothermia camping in the snow there, and almost had to be evacuated, but got better pretty quickly, though I was pretty stuffed afterwards. We went to Calgary later in the week for a Rodeo, and the people were remarking on my accent- I'm like that's not an accent, it's a cold!

The community teaching hospital where I work two days a week (and which holds a special place in my heart because I was a resident there, and still do general surgery there) fucking caught fire.

It’s been evacuated (with three casualties so far, two of the critically ill COVID patients) and all patients have been discharged or transferred.

I am devastated. My employment is secure — if all else fails they’ll post me somewhere else — but my heart goes out to the very sick and very uninsured people I treat there. COVID hit is hard enough and I wonder what will become of them now.

There arent 16 different kinds of dinner plate sized venomous spiders in Chicago...
Part of the fun of being a world traveler is finding out people's perception of deadliness.

When I was leaving the Middle East for the United States. "You can't move to America. It's crazy there. You'll get killed!"

I just said that maybe Vegemite is actually kind of gross when you think about it. It's not like I stopped eating my mandatory daily allotment or anything.

There arent 16 different kinds of dinner plate sized venomous spiders in Chicago...
Good point. Living in an area with effectively no poisonous anything or hostile animals I forget that's a consideration.

I guess I would look the same to an australian as a Californian does in Seattle the first winter when they realize they won't be seeing sun as they know it for another six months.

Dumarest Dumarest Affidavit has to be one of the strangest English words I'm (sort of) familiar with.

Part of the fun of being a world traveler is finding out people's perception of deadliness.

When I was leaving the Middle East for the United States. "You can't move to America. It's crazy there. You'll get killed!"
Being a frequent traveller to Mexico, I've also experienced this. People don't have the faintest idea. They're only going by what makes the headlines.

That said, most members of my family-in-law have been robbed at least once, even by people in police uniforms, and my father-in-law even got kidnapped once, which was an extremely stressful experience.
Also, travelling the Mexico City subway with anything in your pockets while looking foreign and/or rich, you can be sure your pockets will be empty by the time you get off. And no, you won't notice until it's too late. Luckily, I only keep unimportant or worthless stuff in my pockets when I'm there.

But if you follow the guidelines in the travel guides, you'll be perfectly fine travelling most of the time.

Last edited:

I just said that maybe Vegemite is actually kind of gross when you think about it. It's not like I stopped eating my mandatory daily allotment or anything.
I found some Vegemite in the supermarket the other day, so I got a couple of jars. Supply here in Blighty seems to be getting very patchy these days.

In related news, my other half doesn't want to move to Australia because she's afraid of snakes. They have cobras in Indonesia, and around Christmas they have horny cobra warnings. It's like Redbacks under the dunny seat but with snakes.

Good point. Living in an area with effectively no poisonous anything or hostile animals I forget that's a consideration.
Don't you have these?

27048676a177a91ffac89c2ac9d62bd6-1024x576.jpg

Yes. You may have noticed a while thread dedicated to the hatred of this vermin. It's my main objection to Canada as a whole. They send us their little bundles of flying hate to shit on our homes and attack our children.
Could be worse. Could be venomous reptiles, I suppose. I mean, we do have poisonous snakes and other toxic creepy-crawlies here, but they mainly tend to be employed in middle management.

My infected family members all seem to be recovering well from Covid without anyone hospitalized. Mostly just cold symptoms for a few days. So that's a relief.

In other news, my work just announced they are extending WFH to next April at the minimum. Might as well start getting cozy for the winter.

8 new cases confirmed at work, no spreading. 2 preventive 10-day quarantines.

My wife and I currently have 3 weeks vacation. One more week to go. I've been checking out drumset reviews on Youtube.

We had eight trick-or-treaters tonight, which is more than we had last year, but way, way less than we got at our old place down the road. We got 100+ over there.

We had eight trick-or-treaters tonight, which is more than we had last year, but way, way less than we got at our old place down the road. We got 100+ over there.
I haven't had a trick or treater in ten years.

I just had someone come trick-or-treating tonight for the first time ever, and had to hunt down some oleh-oleh my other half forgot to pack when she went.. Halloween was never a thing outside Murica when I was a lad.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back