Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I think I live near a meth house. For the past few months, every weekend very late at night I either smell strong chemical smells like fingernail polish or our eyes will start burning until I shut the window. There are no obvious suspects, all the houses on the street are tidy and manicured.

I was today years old when I found out about this:

View attachment 24216

Before advances in Medicine made Caesarean section a commonplace operation, splitting the pelvic boe open at the pubes was a technique for allowing childbirth under certain circumstances. And this is the context in which these saws were invented -- none of them motorized, obviously --- most famously the Gigli saw, which still sees regular use for cutting bone in other circumstances (e.g. amputation, removing ribs).

I'm gearing up to go offline on the 12/1.

Two-weeks spent alone in the absolute middle of nowhere (in between Death Valley and Area 51). Back to basics.
In between Death Valley and Area 51? Not Yucca Mountain I hope...

You aren’t kidding about that being the middle of fucking nowhere.

Death Valley in Winter is actually pretty nice, sixties in the day, thirties at night.

In between Death Valley and Area 51? Not Yucca Mountain I hope...

You aren’t kidding about that being the middle of fucking nowhere.

Death Valley in Winter is actually pretty nice, sixties in the day, thirties at night.
I lived in Death Valley for a spell working as a bartender at the resort there. I did it with a few buddies. As they say, it's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

So, at least one person ( Séadna Séadna ) knows who I am on here, at least enough to get confused between me and Ronnie Sanford Ronnie Sanford
So, someone may also have noticed I disappeared from the forum for over a year and suddenly came back. Figured I'd explain where I've been. Pretty much immediately after I got back from my trip walking the Camino de Santiago last summer (which was partially documented in this thread) I was diagnosed with depression and lacked the energy to do pretty much anything. Just as I was coming back to work, Covid-19 hit and despite what you may have heard of Sweden, there was pretty intense social distancing going on here. Which made me crash right back down into depression over the summer. I'm, clawing my way back now and finally have some energy to engage on forums and think about GMing again.

So, at least one person ( Séadna Séadna ) knows who I am on here, at least enough to get confused between me and Ronnie Sanford Ronnie Sanford
So, someone may also have noticed I disappeared from the forum for over a year and suddenly came back. Figured I'd explain where I've been. Pretty much immediately after I got back from my trip walking the Camino de Santiago last summer (which was partially documented in this thread) I was diagnosed with depression and lacked the energy to do pretty much anything. Just as I was coming back to work, Covid-19 hit and despite what you may have heard of Sweden, there was pretty intense social distancing going on here. Which made me crash right back down into depression over the summer. I'm, clawing my way back now and finally have some energy to engage on forums and think about GMing again.
Depression is no fun as it literally saps emotion out of life. Praying you get better soon? BTW you don’t live in the part of Sweden that goes dark this time of year do you? That couldn’t help!

Depression is no fun as it literally saps emotion out of life. Praying you get better soon? BTW you don’t live in the part of Sweden that goes dark this time of year do you? That couldn’t help!
Thanks! Appreciate it. As for parts of Sweden, they all go dark. But no I don't live above the arctic circle, I live in southern Sweden. Sunrise today was 08.09 AM, sunset at 3.38 pm, so just under seven and a half hours of sunlight today. Living further north, where I'm originally from, would actually be better as snow reflects a lot of light making it much brighter outside even when the sun has gone down, as long there are streetlights or the like. Unfortunately down here we rarely get snow that lasts more than a couple of days at most.

So, someone may also have noticed I disappeared from the forum for over a year and suddenly came back
Hey raniE I had noticed as I looked out for your posts on the Nordic scene in general. Very sorry to hear about your difficulties, but I can say it's great to see you again here.

Southern Sweden being accurate in relation to Sweden, but still 58 degrees north, roughly the same latitude as Juneau, Alaska.

I have a good friend living in Gothenburg. I can’t wait for the plague to go away so I can see him.
Huh, I work in Gothenburg (well, now I mostly work from home, but usually) and obviously live fairly close. So then you should have a good idea of what the conditions are like here now. Hope you can meet up with your friend soon.

Glad you're feeling a bit better. Depression's a #$%&@#.

What's the deal with restaurant burgers? Why do they come so tall I can't fit them in my mouth and have to disassemble them and then eat them layer by layer? Do people who aren't me actually like them that way?

And have I complained about this before? Getting a sense of deja vu here.

First day of vacation. In the don't-have-to-go-to-work sense, not the travel-for-fun sense. I've done some chores, some exercise, and some recreation. No real plans today. Heck, no real plans all week, other than working on my nanowrimo novel, which I really slacked off on this past week. Going out for a walk now.

What's the deal with restaurant burgers? Why do they come so tall I can't fit them in my mouth and have to disassemble them and then eat them layer by layer? Do people who aren't me actually like them that way?

And have I complained about this before? Getting a sense of deja vu here.
I always get the feeling they, unlike a fast food burger, aren’t supposed to be eaten with the hands. Which makes them useless to me, I’ll just take a steak with bread on the side in that case. If I can’t hold it and eat it with my hands I’d rather it came in a form that was easier to eat with a knife and fork.

I'm working an extra night shift today. I traded it for a night off at the end of the week, so I'll be finished by Thursday morning. I'll be off now.

I always get the feeling they, unlike a fast food burger, aren’t supposed to be eaten with the hands. Which makes them useless to me, I’ll just take a steak with bread on the side in that case. If I can’t hold it and eat it with my hands I’d rather it came in a form that was easier to eat with a knife and fork.
My favourite burger joint (which admittedly was a local chip shop and not a restaurant) went wide with their burgers instead of tall. Damn, those things were so good. Wish I knew how they made them taste the way they did.

My favourite burger joint (which admittedly was a local chip shop and not a restaurant) went wide with their burgers instead of tall. Damn, those things were so good. Wish I knew how they made them taste the way they did.
Greasy spoons usually have good burgers, and although I'm not a big fan of too wide burgers that's much better and easier to eat than too tall. It's "proper restaurants" that don't seem to know how to make an eatable burger to save their lives.

Greasy spoons usually have good burgers, and although I'm not a big fan of too wide burgers that's much better and easier to eat than too tall. It's "proper restaurants" that don't seem to know how to make an eatable burger to save their lives.
My tallburger's saving grace was a very tasty meat patty. Other than that, it was a bun and a giant onion ring. Next time I'll order the pasta.

Huh, I work in Gothenburg (well, now I mostly work from home, but usually) and obviously live fairly close. So then you should have a good idea of what the conditions are like here now. Hope you can meet up with your friend soon.
Depression sucks balls. I hope you stay here and chat just so you have some people checking in on you. I've been to Stockholm and Gothenburg about 10 years ago. Pretty places.

Depression sucks balls. I hope you stay here and chat just so you have some people checking in on you. I've been to Stockholm and Gothenburg about 10 years ago. Pretty places.
I've got some friends I can chat with too, but yeah, it's nice to get some sort of connection with the world. Not being able to physically interact with people is terrible.

Stockholm and Gothenburg are both pretty, although I much prefer living in Gothenburg. It's just all around a more friendly place. Plus I never really liked subways and Gothenburg doesn't have one, we have trams instead.

On a more serious note. One of the managers at work has covid. So I'm quarantined for now. I feel fine. But caution and all that. Course no one at my work place knows what to do. Its becoming quite the cluster fuck. I hope the health department is like whoa hold on here. We'll see I dont have much faith in government or my workplace.

So in the ongoing saga of school reopening Wednesday we hit new records for Covid case count, hospitals are losing capacity, percentage positive is hitting new highs, testing is being overwhelmed. So of course the school announcements a continuation of the plan to open for in person learning on December 2nd.
The governor is still asking everyone to stay home for Thanksgiving and do minimal travel/shopping.

I've emailed and called to try and get the school district to clarify why this is a good idea. No response from them. Very frustrating.

I make a few calls to the health department to just see is this for real? Are you guys really cool with school opening at the 'so far' peak of the pandemic? No one gives a straight answer but the feeling I'm getting is 'no but there's only so much we can do'.

Finally 8:30 this morning the district relents and says "We're pushing it back to Jan 2nd.".

The logic of Jan 2nd still confuses me but hey it's not Dec 2nd so I'll call this a battle won for today. Maybe people will get their shit together and December will be a month where cases go down but based on what I'm seeing I'm betting that's not going to happen.

Planning to do any reading or in-person gaming?

Actually I'm playing my last move in the great chess-game of life with my father.

Reading-wise - I got Audible and I'm planning on listening to bunch of books on the trip. Currently listening to Sandman (it's *wonderful*).

My "planned" listening list will be:

'The Immortality Key' - Brian Muraresku
'Heroes' - Stephen Fry
'Scipio Africanus' - BH Liddell Hart

My planned reading list:
Rifts: Worldbook 12 - Lonestar
Rifts: Worldbook 14 - New West
Rifts: Worldbook 28 - Arzno
Rifts: Black Market
Rifts: Mercenaries

I'm kicking off my first Savage Worlds Rifts campaign when I get back - setting it in Arzno.

I'm having my normal get-together for Thanksgiving. Family+friends+good times.
That sounds ominous.

It does! My dad died a few months ago. I gotta play my last move before all the treasure is taken! But it's nothing *actually* ominous. I don't know how to really talk about going through the belongings of ones parents which largely consists of remnants of your childhood, and haggle with one's siblings over who gets what. blah blah blah without making it sound "vulture-like".

heh I tried.

But I should add - the fact that my dad lived on a property so far off the beaten-path of civilization in a virtual fortress of solitude geared to the teeth with "stuff" that would fit right in a Mad Max movie, is actually pretty exciting. NO one will hear/see us blasting explosives into the night under the stars. Or whatever me and my siblings decide to do in honor of my pops going to Valhalla.

Good times will be had under the stars.

Edit: HEY! enough of that sad-face stuff. This is a *celebration*. And it will be two-weeks of it!

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back