Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
My beard has has massive grey streaks in it and my hairline is receding, if I get carded they probably need to go have their eyes checked.

The first time I was offered a senior discount, at a museum/archaeological site in Phoenix, the age for the discount actually was 55.

I used to protest that I wasn't old enough, but lately I've just accepted it, maybe doing my best Grandpa Simpson imitation to sell it a little more.

You know there are two times in your life when you enjoy being carded. When you're 21(or your state/countries equivalent) and when you over 35 because it means someone might possibly think you're under 35.
I got carded in a hotel bar in Atlantic City. The barman said my passport wasn't good enough ID.

I was 30.

I got carded in a hotel bar in Atlantic City. The barman said my passport wasn't good enough ID.

I was 30.
I was a bartender for s few years and then worked in the insurance industry specializing in restaurants, nightclubs, and bars. In my experience, when a bartender is unreasonably strict about ID the joint probably got busted recently for serving to minors.

Not taking passport though is still weird. Probably just a doorman who isn't too bright and has never seen one. I've been out for drinks a lot of time with JP office staff from the company I work for when we are at events. Only thing they would have is a passport.

Not taking passport though is still weird. Probably just a doorman who isn't too bright and has never seen one. I've been out for drinks a lot of time with JP office staff from the company I work for when we are at events. Only thing they would have is a passport.
I agree that it is weird and gave you an answer explaining why a bartender would do that out of laziness, fear, and/or spite. They are probably following a scathing directive from senior management TO THE LETTER and passports weren't specifically mentioned.

Edit: Hell my assistant does that lazy shit all the time, following instructions to the letter and applying zero inference or initiative. He's a 65 year old man who should be working as a Wal-Mart greeter LOL.

I've never been carded. I had grey hair when I was twelve.
Back when I were a wee lad in Christchurch I genuinely think nobody gave a shit. Once upon a time, my dad took me to see Revenge of the Ninja, which was rated R16. Now, I was 12 at the time, and he asked for one and a half. The girl behind the counter didn't blink at all and just said "We don't do halves for this movie." Dad bought two tickets and we went in to see the movie.

In unrelated news, the trapped nerve in my neck is playing up again. I shall have to go to the quack and get a prescription for more controlled substances.

Eight hundred critically ill human beings are currently waiting for ICU beds in Rio.

Most of them, of course, will not make it.

This is the worse we have seen so far. This is the Great Dying that I feared since the start.

Confinement is weighing heavily upon our souls. The wife and I have little energy to spare to anything other than work, parenting and household chores. As soon as Baby Butcher sleeps, we fall asleep, exhausted ourselves.

I should be grateful that I, my parents and her parents have been vaccinated. But right now I am feeling like absolute shit and straining to hold the line at work and at home.

Eight hundred critically ill human beings are currently waiting for ICU beds in Rio.

This is the worse we have seen so far. This is the Great Dying that I feared since the start.

Confinement is weighing heavily upon our souls. The wife and I have little energy to spare to anything other than work, parenting and household chores. As soon as Baby Butcher sleeps, we fall asleep, exhausted ourselves.

I should be grateful that I, my parents and her parents have been vaccinated. But right now I am feeling like absolute shit and straining to hold the line at work and at home.
My heart goes out to you T The Butcher I know how much it can hurt to feel helpless. If you need anything please let me know.

It's been a long year and everyone wants it to be over and it's not. That's making it so much worse. You can be grateful and exhausted and feel like you're failing all at the same time. I think a number of us are.

I'm sorry. I wish things were in a better state.

i am really sorry, and am amazed you all are holding the line in the face of all of this. We are here for you however we can be, which may be nothing more than kind words on the page and maybe some liquor if you send us an address.

I just (20 minutes ago) had my dentist deny the covid numbers for the US. I called him on it openly in his office in front of his staff. Shall I send him down there to work in your ICU for a week? it seems fitting.

I just (20 minutes ago) had my dentist deny the covid numbers for the US.

This is the kind of thing that makes me see red. I have a friend that worked in as a nurse in a COVID unit, and he said on top of it being demoralizing seeing people go into the intubation room and never come out alive, people denying they had COVID even as they struggled to breathe just made it worse. One guy even accused them of giving him something to make the symptoms worsen so it would inflate their numbers. Crazy times.

This is the kind of thing that makes me see red. I have a friend that worked in as a nurse in a COVID unit, and he said on top of it being demoralizing seeing people go into the intubation room and never come out alive, people denying they had COVID even as they struggled to breathe just made it worse. One guy even accused them of giving him something to make the symptoms worsen so it would inflate their numbers. Crazy times.
Yea. Me too. Wife worked in the county health department in the infectious disease department running part of the response. I get to see it up close

I just (20 minutes ago) had my dentist deny the covid numbers for the US.
It's always the dentists! As if getting a bunch of pointy things shoved in your mouth wasn't enough. My last appointment involved the hygienist whining about how her wedding plans are ruined because of a "Minor flu".

That sucks bro. I’ll bet some of those in ICU’s on ventilators will die because they really need ECMO. Hang in there. Remember, this will end, and you’re making a difference.

Thanks for the support, fellas. I can really use it.

Last week no less than FIVE friends of mine, from different places, buried a parent because of COVID. (Three old gaming friends, one from the whisky club, and a neighbor.)

One of them I visited in the ICU and made a video call from my phone to her family, so she could see them -- she was in major emotional distress and I ike to think that it did her some good.

She died ten days later.

i am really sorry, and am amazed you all are holding the line in the face of all of this. We are here for you however we can be, which may be nothing more than kind words on the page and maybe some liquor if you send us an address.

I just (20 minutes ago) had my dentist deny the covid numbers for the US. I called him on it openly in his office in front of his staff. Shall I send him down there to work in your ICU for a week? it seems fitting.

I have been spared from returning to the COVID wards so far, but I feel this may change at any time.

It's always the dentists! As if getting a bunch of pointy things shoved in your mouth wasn't enough. My last appointment involved the hygienist whining about how her wedding plans are ruined because of a "Minor flu".

Ironic, because dentists are very much at risk, for obvious reasons.

That sucks bro. I’ll bet some of those in ICU’s on ventilators will die because they really need ECMO. Hang in there. Remember, this will end, and you’re making a difference.

We don't have beds for everyone, let alone ECMO. (A measure reserved for the sickest of the sick.)

Last edited:
Tomorrow's our 9th wedding anniversary. There's not so much we can do so I got us an advocaatvlaai from a local bakery and we'll be ordering in sushi for dinner.

1616797302779.jpg

Links:
Vlaai - Wikipedia
Advocaat - Wikipedia

* there's a typo on the webpage but I forgive them

following instructions to the letter and applying zero inference or initiative
I have to admit I really enjoy doing that. At times.

Last edited:
Today I spent 6 hours filling out paperwork, attending mandatory corporate training, and meetings with staff members. It was a mind-numbingly boring task and nearly gave me a migraine, but it was all worth it as I am now fully employed as a cook at an assisted living facility.
Hallelujah!
The nightmare of job hunting is over!

Today I spent 6 hours filling out paperwork, attending mandatory corporate training, and meetings with staff members. It was a mind-numbingly boring task and nearly gave me a migraine, but it was all worth it as I am now fully employed as a cook at an assisted living facility.
Hallelujah!
The nightmare of job hunting is over!

Outstanding. Employed is good.

I also got us a couple of Belgian beers to go with the sushi. I'm sure this is considered blasphemy by some but they go together rather well. Let's just call it fusion cuisine. Leffe Bruin is also delicious with mole negro oaxaqueño by the way, though it doesn't quite beat Negra Modelo for that.

1616800934174.jpg

This afternoon I discovered candlepower forums.

A forum devoted to flashlights. It was like a bizarre trek into parallel universe of fandom.

There were subforums devoted to LED Flashlights, Incandescent Flashlights, Headlamps, Flashlight Reviews, General Flashlight Discussion, etc.

"Off Topic"subforums devoted to lasers, headlights, and "Non-Flashlight Electronics"

This isn't a small forum either... Threads 322,728 Posts 4,825,830 Members 333,852

They even have their own forum drama

flashlight.PNG

I was fascinated, browsing through discussions of minituae I couldn't even begin to understand, arguments about lumens and watts, a hatred of Alkaline batteries, coronas, tints, and a flood of terminology I'd need an incredibly specialized dictionary to decipher. The whole thing was surreal.

And the whole time I wondered if that's what this forum would look like to an outsider

I remember finding the newsletter of the British Brick Society in the library of Imperial College.

Within there was a full on diatribe about whether to consider contributions from Tile makers lest they sully the purity of the brick and also a schism as to whether the North Midlands bricks deserve their own independent newsletter. Other issues discussed what the the current placement of stone in front of brick meant for the declining respect the average British citizen had for the noble brick. In the words of one contributor "it's only going to get worse from here".

Some kind of brick from Wales seemed to be their 4E.

This afternoon I discovered candlepower forums.

A forum devoted to flashlights. It was like a bizarre trek into parallel universe of fandom.

There were subforums devoted to LED Flashlights, Incandescent Flashlights, Headlamps, Flashlight Reviews, General Flashlight Discussion, etc.

"Off Topic"subforums devoted to lasers, headlights, and "Non-Flashlight Electronics"

This isn't a small forum either... Threads 322,728 Posts 4,825,830 Members 333,852

They even have their own forum drama

View attachment 28770

I was fascinated, browsing through discussions of minituae I couldn't even begin to understand, arguments about lumens and watts, a hatred of Alkaline batteries, coronas, tints, and a flood of terminology I'd need an incredibly specialized dictionary to decipher. The whole thing was surreal.

And the whole time I wondered if that's what this forum would look like to an outsider

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back