Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
You know there are two times in your life when you enjoy being carded. When you're 21(or your state/countries equivalent) and when you over 35 because it means someone might possibly think you're under 35.
You know what the drinking age is in Russia? When you are old enough to put your ruble on the counter you're old enough to buy liquor.

Today I spent 6 hours filling out paperwork, attending mandatory corporate training, and meetings with staff members. It was a mind-numbingly boring task and nearly gave me a migraine, but it was all worth it as I am now fully employed as a cook at an assisted living facility.

Mandatory training has always been a contentious issue for my role because I'm technically a 3rd-party contractor. The company that pays me and the organisation I work for both agree that I should do it and it should definitely be the other party paying for it. The org has finally agreed to take care of that, so I have no way to avoid it.

I've got to do an induction, basic hand hygiene and body fluid exposure, cultural safety, two different CPR courses, fire safety, fire warden training and communication with non-english speakers.

I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to all this, especially as I'll have my normal workload to contend with at the same time.

Hallelujah!
The nightmare of job hunting is over!

Congrats!

So, Mrs Nobby-W Nobby-W was complaining about the constant melodrama of the Korean soap she's watching, then said it wasn't as bad as Indonesian soaps, which could run to 3,000 episodes.

So, I thought to myself "Amateurs."

In the UK we have Coronation Street, which has been going since 1960 and is, I think, the longest-running soap in history with something like 10,000 episodes having been produced. The first episodes are so old they were shot in 405-line, which is an old British TV standard that pre-dates WWII. Bearing in mind that the last time I saw Coro Street Violet Carson was still playing Ena Sharples (my Grandmother used to follow it) I tried - without much success - to explain what the point of it was.

Anyway, she's found the first season on Youtube and is is now watching it to try and see what all the fuss was about.

Last edited:
Coronation Street is measured in Gail Husband numbers not seasons. Your wife now lies deep within the hollowed B.G. years, before the coming of the Gail.
I think I know who you're talking about, but I'm pretty sure the last episodes of Coro Street I ever saw (in their entirety anyway) predate Gail. It was still well within the Ena Sharples era that I last recall watching a full episode, sometime in the 1970s.[1] I was just a wee lad at the time and was probably waiting for something like The Six Million Dollar Man or maybe Space:1999 to come on.

Nobby-W Nobby-W Isn't As The World Turns the longest-running soap opera? I used to watch that after school with my brother.

Nobby-W Nobby-W Isn't As The World Turns the longest-running soap opera? I used to watch that after school with my brother.
According to the interwebs it predates Coro Street by a few years but got canned in 2010. It ran more episodes in total.

Last edited:
So last week, the officer who works under me found a water leak in an area with a lot of equipment. When I went to check it out, the leak had gotten worse. I called it in, and the source of the leak was found and stopped, and all the water cleaned up. I filed a report about it, and that was that.

Tonight my boss came in while I'm on patrol. She calls me on the radio and says she needs to speak to both of us. I'm thinking I'm in trouble over something. I come back to our work area, and she asks some questions about the incident. She then tells us that the person who oversees us at Microchip wanted us to know that we likely saved the company a lot of money, as damage to any of the equipment in that area could have halted production of silicon wafers (which would be very bad, given the automotive industry has a 2 year backlog for microchips for vehicles). To show his appreciation, we each got a $25 Amazon gift card. I was so relieved I wasn't in trouble for something! Security doesn't always get recognized when we do a good job like that, so it was really nice to have that happen.

In other news, I'm now officially eligible to get a covid shot in Oregon. Now to try and find one that carries the Johnson and Johnson one, as I want to get one and done if I can

This afternoon I discovered candlepower forums.

A forum devoted to flashlights. It was like a bizarre trek into parallel universe of fandom.

There were subforums devoted to LED Flashlights, Incandescent Flashlights, Headlamps, Flashlight Reviews, General Flashlight Discussion, etc.

"Off Topic"subforums devoted to lasers, headlights, and "Non-Flashlight Electronics"

This isn't a small forum either... Threads 322,728 Posts 4,825,830 Members 333,852

They even have their own forum drama

View attachment 28770

I was fascinated, browsing through discussions of minituae I couldn't even begin to understand, arguments about lumens and watts, a hatred of Alkaline batteries, coronas, tints, and a flood of terminology I'd need an incredibly specialized dictionary to decipher. The whole thing was surreal.

And the whole time I wondered if that's what this forum would look like to an outsider

But... April Fool's Day isn't until Thursday...

Recent spike in pandemic cases here
Snap community lockdown in Brisbane, likely to ruin Easter.
Oh yay here we go again...:blah:
It's shooting up here in Western Washington state as well. Of course we are also opening things up and just about to get immunization into high speed. WTF people what's a few more weeks at this point? Immunize THEN open up is it so hard?!?

So last week, the officer who works under me found a water leak in an area with a lot of equipment. When I went to check it out, the leak had gotten worse. I called it in, and the source of the leak was found and stopped, and all the water cleaned up. I filed a report about it, and that was that.

Tonight my boss came in while I'm on patrol. She calls me on the radio and says she needs to speak to both of us. I'm thinking I'm in trouble over something. I come back to our work area, and she asks some questions about the incident. She then tells us that the person who oversees us at Microchip wanted us to know that we likely saved the company a lot of money, as damage to any of the equipment in that area could have halted production of silicon wafers (which would be very bad, given the automotive industry has a 2 year backlog for microchips for vehicles). To show his appreciation, we each got a $25 Amazon gift card. I was so relieved I wasn't in trouble for something! Security doesn't always get recognized when we do a good job like that, so it was really nice to have that happen.

In other news, I'm now officially eligible to get a covid shot in Oregon. Now to try and find one that carries the Johnson and Johnson one, as I want to get one and done if I can
Cool on it all. I need to look at the eligibility for shots again. My wife hopes to get J&J one shot because she often reacts badly to medications (though she has never had a bad reaction to a flu shot).

Just got my first vaccine dose today. I got the Moderna one. Have the second appointment already set.
WebEssentialAFFrontClose_large.jpg

Cool on it all. I need to look at the eligibility for shots again. My wife hopes to get J&J one shot because she often reacts badly to medications (though she has never had a bad reaction to a flu shot).
Have you signed up here yet: https://covidvaccine.oregon.gov/

You can actually search by vaccine to find places that have J&J. There isn't many right now (only one was in my local area).

According to the interwebs it predates Coro Street by a few years but got canned in 2010. It ran more episodes in total.
AFAIK, they are all beat by The Guiding Light, an American soap opera that began on radio in 1937 and added a TV version in 1952 (the radio show continued alongside it until 1956). It was cancelled in 2009. I'm not sure how many episodes there were in total, but in 2006 there had been 15,000 of the TV show alone.

My understanding is that Coronation Street was originally broadcast only twice weekly, which means that its episode numbers are smaller than for American soaps, which typically aired daily, Monday to Friday.

My understanding is that Coronation Street was originally broadcast only twice weekly, which means that its episode numbers are smaller than for American soaps, which typically aired daily, Monday to Friday
Perhaps, but each episode of Coronation Street is approximately one hundred subjective years when you're 11 and Babylon 5 is on after it.

Ah, wonderful. Even with some recent rains, the pollen is really starting to kick in locally.

View attachment 28185

That yellow on the pavement? That's washed-up tree pollen (or as a friend once referred to it, 'tree bukkake').

Last night for dessert after dinner, my wife and I shared some cookies. It was a brand of ginger-snaps we're fond of, Anna's Ginger Swedish Thins.

My wife pointed out something about the box I'd never noticed:
Anna's.jpg

Now, you don't have to know Swedish to figure out that 'Pepparkaka' must mean something like 'spice cake' or 'ginger cookie,' but it's not a good choice for an English-language box.

So, I've finally installed the PCI-e splitter and set up two hot, throbbing NVMe drives on the Z440.

And it worked. First time. A fresh Windows 10 install went onto the machine without a hitch. KSP went on with no problems and I've got my saved game and designs back.

And now I have questions. Starting with ... Why does Crystal Disk Mark have a Shizuku edition?

CrystalDiskMark.jpg

Last edited:
So, I've finally installed the PCI-e splitter and set up two hot, throbbing NVMe drives on the Z440.

And it worked. First time. A fresh Windows 10 install went onto the machine without a hitch. KSP went on with no problems and I've got my saved game and designs back.

And now I have questions. Starting with ... Why does Crystal Disk Mark have a Shizuku edition?

View attachment 29044
Because it can?

Went to the movies this afternoon. Given there was maybe 6 or 7 people in the theater with me, it felt a little weird. Enjoyed getting out, though the bus ride there took longer due to traffic/construction, and on the trip back, the bus got detoured due to police activity. Thankfully, the driver let me off on my avenue (as he had to stop for a red light), so I didn't have a real detour getting home.

Went to the movies this afternoon. Given there was maybe 6 or 7 people in the theater with me, it felt a little weird. Enjoyed getting out, though the bus ride there took longer due to traffic/construction, and on the trip back, the bus got detoured due to police activity. Thankfully, the driver let me off on my avenue (as he had to stop for a red light), so I didn't have a real detour getting home.
What did you see?

We actually enjoy going to the cinema in the quiet afternoon hours whenever possible. Full theaters are so noisy here.

On a normal Friday, even the first showing would have had more people. I like quiet, but it was too quiet, hence the feeling of weirdness

So We’re finally done with all the prep and most of the hosting of this year’s GothCon. I feel kind of drained. It’s been a major source of stress but also my main source of human interaction for the past six months. Not sure how I’ll spend my free time now.

So We’re finally done with all the prep and most of the hosting of this year’s GothCon. I feel kind of drained. It’s been a major source of stress but also my main source of human interaction for the past six months. Not sure how I’ll spend my free time now.
Based on past interaction with con organisers, drinking heavily and hating fans.

Update.

COVID still bad, and getting worse. Brazil looking at 4K dead a day. Over 300K dead total and vaccination at a crawl.

Morale still shit but doing my best and slogging through. Literally cried watching the news this week (during lunch at the hospital's mess hall. Had to duck into the bathroom like a freshly heartbroken teen), and also experiencing relationship (my fault, really) and extended family (not my fault) drama on the side.

Gaming a distant memory, though my best bud (from the old gaming group) was kind enough to hear me going on and on about said drama. So the benefits of gaming are still with me, in a way, I guess. But I only ever think of gaming when I log in here.

Kid's healthy, business is decent -- I start seeing patients at a new place next week, and more or less holding on to that as something to look forward to -- and everything else is fine, and I try to think of these things to put my troubles in perspective.

But maybe this is what "moral fatigue" looks like.

Last edited:
Update.

COVID still bad, and getting worse. Brazil looking at 4K dead a day. Over 300K dead total and vaccination at a crawl.

Morale still shit but doing my best and slogging through. Literally cried watching the news this week (during lunch at the hospital's mess hall. Had to duck into the toilet like a freshly broke-up teen), and also experiencing relationship and extended family drama on the side.

Gaming a distant memory, though my best bud (from the old gaming group) was kind enough to hear me going on and on about said drama. So the benefits of gaming are still with me, in a way, I guess. But I only ever think of gaming when I log in here.

Kid's healthy, business is decent -- I start seeing patients at a new place next week, and more or less holding on to that as something to look forward to -- and everything else is fine, and I try to think of these things to put my troubles in perspective.

I hope things turn around for you soon.

Update.

Morale still shit but doing my best and slogging through. Literally cried watching the news this week (during lunch at the hospital's mess hall. Had to duck into the toilet like a freshly broke-up teen), and also experiencing relationship and extended family drama on the side.

Ouch, hope things turn around for you, and for Brazil, soon.

Eh, mostly allergies, and sinus stuff. Texas weather you know, this time of year is like spinning a roulette wheel. Other than that, I'm trying to find time to work on my novel, game, and read. I may have to cut out other stuff. Mostly though the other stuff is sleep beyond occasional poking at online stuff here, and cleaning house.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back