Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Update.

COVID still bad, and getting worse. Brazil looking at 4K dead a day. Over 300K dead total and vaccination at a crawl.

Morale still shit but doing my best and slogging through. Literally cried watching the news this week (during lunch at the hospital's mess hall. Had to duck into the toilet like a freshly broke-up teen), and also experiencing relationship and extended family drama on the side.

Gaming a distant memory, though my best bud (from the old gaming group) was kind enough to hear me going on and on about said drama. So the benefits of gaming are still with me, in a way, I guess. But I only ever think of gaming when I log in here.

Kid's healthy, business is decent -- I start seeing patients at a new place next week, and more or less holding on to that as something to look forward to -- and everything else is fine, and I try to think of these things to put my troubles in perspective.

But maybe this is what "moral fatigue" looks like.
I hope things get better for you soon Butcher. Seems like a lot to bear.

I got slightly sick after the convention, pretty much an hour after we closed up shop. Most likely a reaction to all the stress leaving. Hopefully nothing worse.

Talked to my brother for about an hour. He's pretty frustrated because he has to limit his sodium and sugar and liquid, and it's a lot to get used to. We had a pretty good conversation though.

Later my parents gave me a tour of their new house via FaceTime. It looks really nice.

I've started the process of migrating across to the new kit. Starting with the HP desktop (actually desk side). I installed the splitter card and second disk a few days ago and it's now got SSDs in it that cost more than the machine did. "On the cheap" didn't work out quite as well as I had hoped. Some of the software is on it now, but there's still more to come.

The old laptop might hang around a bit for video conferencing. I have a Logitech C270 and a Jabra headset, but Windows 10 sound is really cantankerous and obtuse when it comes to troubleshooting audio in conferencing apps. People moan about Pulse Audio on Linux, but Windows 10 sound problems are opaque, random and there are no tools to troubleshoot it.

Some days I really curse plug and play. It works great except when it doesn't, and then you're screwed.

Haven't upgraded the monitor yet - I still have the old NEC. It's 9 years old now and still trucking along. The 4K screen is in the queue behind some tax at the moment.

Happy Easter. We went out for ramen and I drank this thing called the Sapporo Tower. Pic related.

IMG-0590.JPG

We had a great dessert of fish-shaped waffles filled with Nutellla.

On the way home we heard the Zombie song which Bunny says it is 90's Edgelord. I explained that rejecting Judeo-Christianity in the 90's was srs bsns. I don't judge even though her generation had Linkin Park which is even more edgy LOL

Last edited:
I like Sapporo beer, but WTF is that thing?
They call it the Sapporo Tower. It's essentially a large chilled pitcher of beer, maybe 6 or 7 drinks? People were gawking at me like I had two heads. We were at this pretentious dining, shopping, apartment combo called Bella Terra. The kind of place with overpriced apartments and a Whole Foods. I think South Park made an episode making fun of places like this.

Just noticed the old lady in the pic isn't wearing a mask, hah!

They call it the Sapporo Tower. It's essentially a large chilled pitcher of beer. People were gawking at me like I had two heads.

For a moment I thought there was ice actually floating around in the beer. *shudders*

I don't know where you are, but overhere we're not required to wear masks outside.

They call it the Sapporo Tower. It's essentially a large chilled pitcher of beer, maybe 6 or 7 drinks? People were gawking at me like I had two heads. We were at this pretentious dining, shopping, apartment combo called Bella Terra. The kind of place with overpriced apartments and a Whole Foods. I think South Park made an episode making fun of places like this.

I was really worried at first, because my sense of perspective was thrown off for a second. I thought it was larger than the lady in the background when I initially looked at the image.!

I'm spending way too much time on social media at work lately. Once the routine things have been handled, my task is to sit and wait until something goes wrong. And due to Covid restrictions, we have fewer people around making things go wrong. I can't seem to use the time constructively. Studying is impossible, because someone walks into the office every five minutes and even thought it's not me they need, I still have to interact with them. Asking for more work is impossible, because the department has already made it clear they'd rather have me sitting idle and immediately available than picking up outside issues.

I write most of my blog posts at work, but I can't do that five days a week. So I've been spending the dead time on Reddit, but Reddit in 2021 is garbage. There's still interesting content on there, but the effort to find it puts me in mind of wading through chest-high sewage to smell a flower.

Does anyone have suggestions for me?

Been trying to see if I can get an appointment to get vaccinated now that I'm eligible. Not trying too hard, because I suspect it will be awhile before I actually can.

I'm spending way too much time on social media at work lately. Once the routine things have been handled, my task is to sit and wait until something goes wrong. And due to Covid restrictions, we have fewer people around making things go wrong. I can't seem to use the time constructively. Studying is impossible, because someone walks into the office every five minutes and even thought it's not me they need, I still have to interact with them. Asking for more work is impossible, because the department has already made it clear they'd rather have me sitting idle and immediately available than picking up outside issues.

I write most of my blog posts at work, but I can't do that five days a week. So I've been spending the dead time on Reddit, but Reddit in 2021 is garbage. There's still interesting content on there, but the effort to find it puts me in mind of wading through chest-high sewage to smell a flower.

Bring a book to work.

I sometimes listen/watch coursera courses. My kids don't let me have much quiet thought time so sometimes I'll put an earbud in and have a course on something interesting in my left ear and hear about my little pony in my right. I feel balanced out that way.

Been trying to see if I can get an appointment to get vaccinated now that I'm eligible. Not trying too hard, because I suspect it will be awhile before I actually can.
That's certainly been my experience.

My wife just got offered a position training people to do what she is currently doing. Better schedule (she was already 8-5, but it was Sun-Thurs, this would move her to Mon-Fri), more pay, and less dealing with people outside the company directly.

The whole experience with the company she is working for has been so nice, it feels bizarre these days to have a company actually promoting internally...

Wow, that place is at Huntington Beach? Man I bet that area has really changed since the 1960's-70's and early 80's. Used to surf and hang out there back then. Haven't been back really since the early 1980's. I think within the next couple years I need to take a road trip out that way and then up the coast to see how much it all has changed before I get go old to do it.

You can probably get ebooks from your public library that you can read in your browser.
More likely you can get on the list, because library ebooks get checked out like physical copies.

To celebrate my wife's promotion we ordered mexican food from a local place that has amazing tacos and tortas. Also apparently you can get delivery pitchers of margaritas. Also apparently, those margaritas are psychotically strong.

I am toasty.

Wow, that place is at Huntington Beach? Man I bet that area has really changed since the 1960's-70's and early 80's. Used to surf and hang out there back then. Haven't been back really since the early 1980's. I think within the next couple years I need to take a road trip out that way and then up the coast to see how much it all has changed before I get go old to do it.
Unfortunately Huntington Beach has become the capitol of upscale white trash knuckleheads- a wealthier West Coast variation of the classic East Coast jabroni. Standard uniform is ball cap and shorts, Tapout shirt, shitty tattoos. They all drive big trucks.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Huntington Beach has become the capitol of upscale white trash knuckleheads- a wealthier West Coast variation of the classic East Coast jabroni. Standard uniform is ball cap and shorts, Tapout shirt, shitty tattoos. They all drive big trucks.
Well that sucks. Ah well...

you can never go home again.jpg

Convinced a contractor who was late on a task that they should, in fact, use the architecture we put together 5 months ago rather than flail around for another 5 months not getting what they need to get done done. Notably, we also had it already packaged up and ready to deploy because we knew this would happen. Also, this will massively reduce costs.

Amazon has an in-browser Kindle reader, too.

It depends on the service - I know I've seen others here mention they use Hoopla, which doesn't limit checkouts that way.

Yeah. It's a great service. You do have limited checkouts in a month, of course, but any number of people can check out the same book. And there are lots of comics publishers as well as a rather strange array of book publishers available.

Really tired. Not from yesterday's shot- I woke up with plenty of energy. But then I went for a seven-mile run & now I'm spent. Fortunately, work should be pretty easy today.
According to a guy I know, vigorous exercise is pretty much the worst health mistake you can make. Worse than eating spinach.

I got my appointment for the COVID shot - I'm getting my first Moderna shot on the 22nd. I also went to the allergist with that information, and he said I should be fine. One thing he told me that I didn't know- the second shot brings the effectiveness up to over 90%, but in rare cases where you have a severe reaction to the first shot, there is a chance that your antibodies can form from that in the 4 weeks enough to give you a less effective immuno-response. He said he doesn't see it happening to me, but in the case that it does, that's an option if we think the reaction to the second shot will be bad enough.

The bad news is that I have to go back on allergy shots for another year after the fact that I'm still having problems (definitely more minor that before) this spring after going through almost a year with no problems. He said that because I told him about it this soon, I don't have to start back from scratch though, which is a good thing.

So, my hair is mostly blond with a little grey. Beard is more red than blond, also with some grey. Eyebrows are blond... except, I consistently grow one black hair in my right eyebrow. Which I always pluck when I notice it, because it just looks weird. But it always grows back.

I'd love to, but that's probably a step too far. Browsing the internet during dead time is fine, but I suspect I can't look like I've planned for idleness.

Hmmm. Maybe an ebook would be alright.
I like doing like campaign writing. I'll have a couple of sheets of paper under something job related and I'll brainstorm and doodle. Ill sketch out factions, NPCs, little bits of dungeon, little descriptive blurbs, whatever.

Edit: on a clipboard is best.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back