Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
There is not enough scotch for the week I have been having...

Last week of the quarter and I have hit my my emotional and empathic thresholds. You can lead a horse to water but you can't drown them...

Jesus, Rob. I hope you feel better soon.

Here everything's still crap and getting crappier, COVID-wise, but I feel somewhat better fter sorting out some super confusing super personal stuff.

I will survive, but it has felt as if this year, has been two years. Small problems have been magnified by online and hybrid learning and cultural attitudes have made clear the value of what I, and my colleagues, do.

T The Butcher my troubles pale with what you are dealing with, I am glad to hear you are feeling somewhat better moving forward.

Thanks to my boss, I finally scheduled my first vaccine shot through Kaiser (our healthcare provider). It was hard to find on their website, but I was able to get in this Friday. I've never been so happy to get a shot in my life lol

Had my first covid vac shot last week.
Seems like all the cool cats are doing it :grin:

Day two was full of headaches and mild temp, plus lethargic+++
Day three was just lethargic, but after that ok.
Arm is still a bit sore one week out.
Now just looking forward to when I can get the booster out of the way

This may end up being a yearly thing I reckon
Hopefully all these vacs can help turn the tide with this bloody virus

Stay safe everyone :thumbsup:

Finally got a tracking number for my replacement memory module. It's been over a month since I sent the dud one back. Then I shall build my laptop in all its 64GB glory. In fact, if I had known I could take it up to 64GB I might not have bothered with the desktop - although it does a nice job of running Kerbal Space Program.

Speaking of which, I'm into building silly-big booster systems to get transfer vehicles for refuelling infrastructure into the Jool system. With all the boosters going on launch there are still enough particle effects to slow the machine down. I guess that must be CPU bound as there's a much more studly GPU on the machine than I had on my last one. It looks like a single body - which could be a large, complex booster assembly or a space station with half a dozen ships docked to it - gets its own thread in the engine, That would explain why complex ships or stations still herniate the machine and is apparently a function of how Unity works so it's not likely to change. It also means that building a sick Ryzen-based gaming rig won't achieve anything beyond making a mess with my ham-fisted attempts at water cooling.

This is also good as the achilles heel of workstations like the Z440 is their use of Xeon chips - which are quite pricey, even on the open market. This means that you're best off getting an ex-lease machine with the right CPU rather than attempting to pimp it after the fact. An 8 or 12 core CPU could run to £1k or more, which is more than I paid for the machine. I don't have anything that's enough of a thread fest to justify that so I'll be sticking with the E5-1630v3 it came with for a while yet.

Last edited:
Finally got a tracking number for my replacement memory module. It's been over a month since I sent the dud one back. Then I shall build my laptop in all its 64GB glory. In fact, if I had known I could take it up to 64GB I might not have bothered with the desktop - although it does a nice job of running Kerbal Space Program.

I thought about doing that, but wanted a better Surface. I just find it too useful. Replaced my laptop and my old Surface with one of the newest ones with an i7, so it's currently my fastest computer (my desktop has an i5). My desktop has 40GB RAM though... I've thought about getting rid of that 8GB stick and getting a 16GB, but I figured I'll wait on that for the new build- I'll probably have to get another in the next couple of years.

Really tired. Not from yesterday's shot- I woke up with plenty of energy. But then I went for a seven-mile run & now I'm spent. Fortunately, work should be pretty easy today.
I’ll point out that while you were doing that, I sat in the recliner eating Rocky Road ice cream and I feel completely refreshed! Now it’s time for a nap!

I'm partial to a couple of snooker balls in a sock. I figure if you're contemplating DIY flail weapons, leaving a mark is the least of your concerns.

I never said what was in the pillow...

I just picked up an ASUS 15" vivobook i7 Win 10 laptop

Amongst other things, hopefully this should come in very handy for organising my rpg bits 'n pieces at the gaming table :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Today it was warm enough (78-80 F/26 C) that my wife and I both took some time off work to visit a local coffee spot and enjoy our drinks in a nearby park. We still don't dare have them inside the cafe. It was so warm we got iced coffee, for the first time since, I don't know, last September or October.

We also treated ourselves to some really tasty baked goods.

I'm visiting Orcas Island which is not submitting to my name change no matter how often I type Orcus Island. Come on people which is cooler a black and white whale with teeth or a demon prince from the abyss? I think we all know the answer to that question.

Central Georgia is having its highest pollen count in four years, with no indication of slowing down until June.

Yay.
Yeah it was bad around here a few days back and all the moms I know started freaking out they had Covid. I'm pretty sure I'm sitting in the highest vaccinated zip code in the state at 60+% so I'm doubting that's it.

By sheer coincidence, my brother ended up getting the one-dose J&J shot the same day I got my second Pfizer shot. As of April 20th, my entire immediate family will be fully vaccinated!
By end of April it will be everyone in my immediate family but my younger son (who is 15, so you know, no approved vaccine yet, though I've heard it is close).

I had my shot of Astra-Zeneca a week or so ago, but the Australian Government is no longer recommending it for anyone under the age of 50 , so I guess I'm part of an exclusive club now. I will need the booster in a couple of months, so that doesn't exactly fill me with enthusiasm for it.
Oh well, these things happen. no blood clots yet...

Last edited:
I had my shot of Astra-Zeneca a week or so ago, but the Australia is no longer recommeending it for anyone under 50, so I guess I'm part of an exclusive club now. I will need the booster in a couple of months, so that doesn't exactly fill me with enthusiasm for it.
Oh well, these things happen. no blood clots yet...
Apparently, in France they decided to give people who only had their first shot of Astra/Zeneca a second shot of another vaccine. Other countries may follow.

Apparently, in France they decided to give people who only had their first shot of Astra/Zeneca a second shot of another vaccine. Other countries may follow.
yeah I expect they'll do likewise here

I got lucky today, and got the Johnson & Johnson vaccine at Kaiser today. Plus I got to have lunch at the Hawaiian food cart I've been wanting to try for months now before getting vaccinated. Add in how nice out it is in Portland today, and it's been a really good day so far

Today at work there was one of those awkward situations were an employee inadvertently sent an email that should have been confidential between her & her supervisor to the entire staff. Didn't really affect me- I just deleted the email and went on with my life- but I do feel kinda bad for the employee who sent it.

Today at work there was one of those awkward situations were an employee inadvertently sent an email that should have been confidential between her & her supervisor to the entire staff. Didn't really affect me- I just deleted the email and went on with my life- but I do feel kinda bad for the employee who sent it.
I worked for Sprint in NYC in the late 90's and recall multiple times when someone blasted 7000+ people with an email asking where the coffee filters were or something equally stupid. Of course that person would get blown up with sarcastic replies because New Yorkers are heartless and cruel.

Last edited:
I worked for Sprint in NYC in the late 90's and recall multiple times when someone blasted 7000+ people with an email asking where the coffee filters were or something equally stupid. Of course that person would get blown up with sarcastic replies because New Yorkers are heartless and cruel.

We have to live up to the stereotype (I still do, even though I've lived in Portland for 7 years now)

Which is nothing compared to what teachers unleash when someone does a reply all...

Not my story but a guy I hung out with in college. He sent what he thought was an email to a buddy about the hot receptionist at work and what he thought date night with he might be like. Except he sent it by mistake to the group label to his co-workers which included said receptionist.

We have to live up to the stereotype (I still do, even though I've lived in Portland for 7 years now)
After living in NYC for a couple years I remember watching a group of teenagers beat the shit out of a dude and steal his wallet while I was on my way to get a tattoo. All I did was laugh. I didn't interfere or check on the dude or even call the cops. That's when I realized it was time to get back to CA.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back