Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Taking my son mountain biking today on grand targhee. Near the end of our two week road trip. I didn’t think about work much at all, and made me wonder if I really care about what I’m doing. We will see when I return I suppose.

I’m feeling senile at the moment. I found my copy of a Japanese RPG, and tried to Google for more info on it.

The top hit was me asking a question on the game on a forum, about a decade before I remember learning of the system.

Time to check me into the old folks’ home for senility, I guess.

I’m feeling senile at the moment. I found my copy of a Japanese RPG, and tried to Google for more info on it.

The top hit was me asking a question on the game on a forum, about a decade before I remember learning of the system.

Time to check me into the old folks’ home for senility, I guess.
The best is when you ask google a question and you answer it yourself a decade before. It’s amazing.

So I've been a casual follower of the Chris Chan saga for almost 10 years. Never active at any of the troll forums or anything, but watching the ongoing Youtube documentaries and commentators.

I always thought it would end in tragedy, but I never expected this horror. I've been kinda reeling since the news dropped on Friday. I think years from now this will mark the end of the Golden Age of the Internet.

So I've been a casual follower of the Chris Chan saga for almost 10 years. Never active at any of the troll forums or anything, but watching the ongoing Youtube documentaries and commentators.

I always thought it would end in tragedy, but I never expected this horror. I've been kinda reeling since the news dropped on Friday. I think years from now this will mark the end of the Golden Age of the Internet.
What is all this?

I always thought it would end in tragedy, but I never expected this horror. I've been kinda reeling since the news dropped on Friday. I think years from now this will mark the end of the Golden Age of the Internet
I dunno, I have never heard of this person before you mentioned the name.
Had to look it up to see what all this is about, one of the most trolled people on the net apparently.
I quickly learnt about the indie Sonichu comic, briefly watched part of a YouTube video by the creator, and that's a minute I'll never get back.
Maybe to indie comics it's a bit like the Zaklash thing was for the OSR.
Nasty allegations and whatnot, very distasteful icky stuff; but I don't think it'll be remembered by the wider public much more than perhaps a footnote

Last edited:
What is all this?
Dude, the Chris Chan saga is a deep rabbit hole. TLDR he's a person with mental problems and terrible parents who is ruthlessly bullied for their bizarre Internet presence. I think TristramEvans TristramEvans has linked some documentaries, that's how I found out about it.

um yeah, Down the Rabbit Hold probably has the most succinct overview, but it only touches on the surface...

Genosamuel has a much more comprehensive documentary series that's now on part 59 of...? which catches up to about two years ago now

Chrischan (once Chris, now transitioned to Christine) is a mentally disturbed person who attracted the attention of online trolls years ago with their horrific Sonichu comicbooks and bizarre Youtube rants. Over the years they have entered into a weirdly co-dependent relationship with the online trolls, who have formed whole communities. The harassment and torture he's recieved is in and of itself a disturbing and horrific reflection of humanity, but it's made more complex by Chrischan being a genuinely awful human being themselves, known for assaulting store employees, rampant homophobia and racism, and making fun of other mentally ill Youtubers.

They came to the attention of the internet in around the late aughts and is now considered "the most documented person in history", as every facet of their life has been monitored, recorded, and scrutinized by troll groups for over a decade. Chrischan also has, for years, subsisted off of a combination of welfare and donations from the same trolls, whom she regularly begs for money.

Everything came to a head last Friday though when Chrischan was arrested for...
...raping her mother, an 80 year old woman with dementia. Elder abuse aside, the charge of incest alone in Virginia carries a sentence of up to 10 years

Wow...that's very sad stuff...
Now I do vaguely remember seeing one of those ranting vids years ago, but had forgot about it
yeah, very sad...mental health issues often are

Very sad :sad:

Last edited:
Nasty allegations and whatnot, very distasteful icky stuff; but I don't think it'll be remembered by the wider public much more than perhaps a footnote

Hard to say; my perception was that he was very well known, but the internet is a labyrinthine place

Raleel Raleel it’s a hilarious coincidence you say that, as a few minutes ago a friend wrote me about doing exactly that....Unless you’re George and just trolling me

Bunch Bunch nice try, but I Googled and there’s no posts online about me looking for a retirement home.

As for Chris-Chan...I’m going to refrain from telling the whole story, but suffice it to say for many decades I found myself encountering someone that was clearly an asshole, but everyone else seemed to think was awesome. That fellow eventually got revealed to have committed sex crimes, and my faith in humanity died a little as so many people who always thought he was awesome defended him like he was their messiah

At that point I met some people who were calling out Asshole and everyone defending his actions. Naturally, we became instant friends. Over the years they mentioned Chris-Chan, but all I knew was they did a Sonic fan comic, until about two weeks ago, leaving me with some knowledge of things just before the story broke.

Well, with recent events all of my friends are coming to me and saying “I can’t believe people are defending Chris-Chan!” and I’m like “Truly, life is just a repetition of the same events over and over. Await your Replacement Dula friends as you stick to your guns against those calling him awesome still.”

Adding to the fun, I have a friend who is a hardcore Sonic fan. Last Monday I sent him a meme that I thought was a parody of Sonic from Gravity Falls. Turns out it was a Gravity Falls meme photoshopped into a Chris Chan meme. He thinks the meme is amazing and wants to know its source, and now I feel bad about sending it and don’t want to cause him to lose his Chris-Chan innocence.

I ran into an old, dear friend at Wal-Mart today. He asked me how I was doing, and without really thinking about it... I told him I was the happiest I'd been in a very long time, if not ever. And it wasn't until I said it, I realized it was true.

I missed my appointment yesterday to get an estimate for adding wheelchair ramps to my front porch. And I'm making arrangements to acquire the corresponding wheelchair, in case I need to go somewhere-- for more than a few minutes-- that doesn't offer its own seating.

Double good news these past couple of days, I'm going to be moved into my new place by Monday and a replacement for my boss, whose leaving next week, got hired yesterday. Now all I need is a bunch of other new employee's to fill the empty positions and all my current big stressers will be taken care of.

As for Chris-Chan...I’m going to refrain from telling the whole story, but suffice it to say for many decades I found myself encountering someone that was clearly an asshole, but everyone else seemed to think was awesome. That fellow eventually got revealed to have committed sex crimes, and my faith in humanity died a little as so many people who always thought he was awesome defended him like he was their messiah

I've encountered my share of truly awful folks like that, including a couple who managed to drag down an entire company or major programme with their empire-building antics. It's amazing just how well a manipulative person like that can gain the trust of people and inoculate them from outside opinions. It's even more amazing not only how much damage they can do but how much damage they have to do before folks start seeing through their bullshit.

Me either. And I could have gone for my whole life without hearing about these events.
Yeah I guess these days when I start here it's a clusterfuck I just turn around and walk the other way most of the time. It's rarely worth grabbing the popcorn and watching.

Yeah it's been a bit of a rough week.
But then I see this, and it's all a bit lighter:

Ahh Billy... :grin: :thumbsup:

View attachment 33781

Mankcam Mankcam, I hope your week is going better now.

To get a bit rantish--is it just me, or is it the case that 'there's no such thing as bad weather, just wrong clothing' is a mantra of colder and wetter climates? You can always dress warmer and drier, but if it's 115 F (46 C), no clothing is going to help. Or am I wrong and is there an Arabic proverb that translates 'There's no such thing as too much heat, just the wrong burnoose' or something like that?

Also, no farmer ever coined that saying. They know there is such a thing as bad weather.

I stumbled onto the fact there is to be a sale on Youtube tomorrow of collectibles, and the lone sample picture is something I would like to own. Suffice it to say it took three minutes and three websites to get some idea of who is hosting the sale, but no explanation of how bids/purchases/whatever are handled.

I tried to watch a previous sale video, but gave up, as after 20 minutes I heard plenty of shaggy dog stories, but no explanation of buying or paying, even as they offered stuff for sale. I feel like they assume they explained how to buy things in the past, and thus everyone knows how.

As someone said recently in another thread, some folks shouldn’t get into retail.

Had a really good conversation with my brother tonight, which I'm very glad of.

The last time we had talked was last Sunday, and that was not a particularly good conversation. We didn't fight or anything, but I was tired and he was grumpy and neither of us really had much to say. And then his blood pressure dropped to life-threatening levels on Tuesday. He's stabilized now.

So glad that last Sunday's conversation was not the last conversation we had. That would have been a shitty way to go out.

The time has come: I'm declaring sock bancruptcy. Time to throw out all my single socks and buy new pairs.

And this time I'm not going to buy the absolute cheapest, because I'm tired of walking holes in them.
I missed the sock part and was legitimately worried for a moment that you were in financial trouble!

The time has come: I'm declaring sock bancruptcy. Time to throw out all my single socks and buy new pairs.

And this time I'm not going to buy the absolute cheapest, because I'm tired of walking holes in them.

I just buy packets of 7 pairs of identical black socks from M&S (unfortunately they aren't in NZ IIRC). This means that the concept of a pair gets somewhat notional. I just have a drawer full of more or less identical black socks and throw them out once they start developing holes, occasionally topping the drawer up with another packet. In NZ I used to do this with Gold Top socks, made (I think) by one of the many tentacles of Lane-Walker-Rudkin. I suggest you find somewhere you can get something like that and adopt this strategy.

I'm also known to make extensive use of the old Kiwi standbys of bare feet or Jandals during the summer. The former generates amusing looks of horror from the locals here when they see it. Unfortunately one can't wear such things into the office, but that's been a non-issue for a year and a half now.

Last edited:
In NZ I used to do this with Gold Top socks, made (I think) by one of the many tentacles of Lane-Walker-Rudkin. I suggest you find somewhere you can get something like that and adopt this strategy.
Gold Top socks from Farmers is what I settled on. Pricey, but they seem to wear pretty well.

Hopefully this will solve a secondary issue: spittingwife claims she owns black socks as well and I keep grabbing hers out of the clean the laundry. I dispute this, because she only seems to buy socks with unicorns vomiting rainbows and grumpy cats threatening the whole world on them, but having clearly identifiable spittingsocks will resolve the argument.

but having clearly identifiable spittingsocks will resolve the argument.
After years of dealing with “No, these ate my clothes, even if you have the receipt for them” I wish you the best of luck.

Gold Top socks from Farmers is what I settled on. Pricey, but they seem to wear pretty well.

Hopefully this will solve a secondary issue: spittingwife claims she owns black socks as well and I keep grabbing hers out of the clean the laundry. I dispute this, because she only seems to buy socks with unicorns vomiting rainbows and grumpy cats threatening the whole world on them, but having clearly identifiable spittingsocks will resolve the argument.
This is a winning strategy. Buy about 10 pairs of identical socks and just keep buying replacements as they wear out.

CRKrueger CRKrueger What do you call ones with one strap? We use them for showering all the time, a habit I picked up in Mexico.
Technically, any sandal without an ankle strap is a flip-flop. There’s toe-loops, thongs, etc, but the single strap as far as I know doesn’t have a specific term. The Aussies and Kiwis have different names possibly.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back