Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
My mom broke her leg past Monday, so I had to cancel everything and fly to Granada, and fly back with her to Barcelona on Tuesday, so all my plans for this week went to shit. And I'm swamped with work at this point, my wife is waiting to be laid off the bank (which is good news, actually, we're impatiently waiting for it to happen), and my oldest daughter is acting out a bit.

Fucking 2020 and fucking 2021.

My neighbour-one-over's dog has been crying for weeks. I thought it was because he wasn't getting walked much, due to the lockdown. It turns out the neighbour's oldest boy, who was the dog's human, has run away. :sad: He's a nice kid, but he's been getting into fights at school, and he doesn't even know why. He's spent some time at an alternative school for troubled teens, alongside kids who support themselves by breaking into cars. His mother's beside herself with worry, because apart from one short call to say that he wouldn't be in touch with her regularly because one of his new friends stole his phone(!), she's heard nothing from him.

This Summer, I put a bunch of old rpg books that, realistically, I was never going to use, into my FLGS's auction. It was roughly 40 books, and I set the starting price for each item at the minimum allowed, which was $2. I figured if I was lucky, all the books would sell and I'd have $80 in store credit. Well, it turned out a lot better than I expected: all my stuff sold, most of it for more than the minimum, and I now have $578 in store credit. So I was going to go the FLGS tomorrow and see about spending some of it. But now my car's "check engine" light has come on, so I will have to get that tended to, instead. Hopefully the car will be a quick fix & I can still got to the FLGS afterwards...

E E-Rocker Since I've been rebuilding my library should have just shipped them to me, I'd probably have bought quite a few of them if I didn't have them already.

edit: Also, I hope the car repair goes well and ends up cheaper than you thought!

This Summer, I put a bunch of old rpg books that, realistically, I was never going to use, into my FLGS's auction. It was roughly 40 books, and I set the starting price for each item at the minimum allowed, which was $2. I figured if I was lucky, all the books would sell and I'd have $80 in store credit. Well, it turned out a lot better than I expected: all my stuff sold, most of it for more than the minimum, and I now have $578 in store credit. So I was going to go the FLGS tomorrow and see about spending some of it. But now my car's "check engine" light has come on, so I will have to get that tended to, instead. Hopefully the car will be a quick fix & I can still got to the FLGS afterwards...
Could just be your regular maintenance. Are you near an even mileage? Like 90k or 120k of 60k?

Looks like I'll be 600 USD in the hole this month---how? Had to buy groceries at new prices (and normal bills), usually, I foot other bills rather than groceries. I make a hair over 900USD, no way I can catch up with that. I think selling a kidney MIGHT be the best way.

If I was a superior I would be very alert to such behaviour. Don't you learn about this during your training/career? Then again, I am one of the narcissism-aware crowd by experience; perhaps you only notice narcissistoid patterns when you've become aware, and even then it can be tricky.

I think you’re quite right about people needing to be able to recognize narccistic behavior and it being allowed because they don’t recognize it as such. I was exposed to it from an early age, but unfortunately I took it as the way things were, and it took many years before I realized it wasn’t OK to be treated like a resource, rather than a person.

I think another reason my coworker gets away with it is because people are often afraid to comment on it. Over the years I’ve seen a lot of social networks in the workplace, where grievances with one member gets everyone to come down on you, workplace rules be damned. Combined with a general fear of direct confrontation i’ve seen in recent years, it leads to people like I’m dealing with.

I had a little good news today. It turned out that I had overpaid self-assessment tax and HMRC refunded me. Paid this month's VAT and now just one more payment until I catch up with my tax for the past couple of years.

I hope it's an easy fix, good fortune on that. I've fought a lot of car problems over the years (trouble with not being able to buy nice and new with warranties.) The sad thing is--of all the problems I had with cars, the 1981 F150 I had in the '90s had fewer problems, oh it had plenty, but never major. Blew a hose once (reminded me to carry duct tape), had issues with its 3-speed transmission slipping out of gear, and got that fixed. But that was all for a nearly 17-year-old truck. I miss it some days. Tough as a tank. Not pretty, no A/C which is here in Texas sometimes rough.

Sadly I left the country for a couple of years and gave it to my dad--who didn't get the oil changed often enough and messed it up (Literally, the first vehicle I owned that I could change the oil myself without trouble because it didn't pack an engine in too small a space like my previous two cars.) He taught me to change the oil, so I don't get it.

Some of you will be familiar with the saga of my HP computer. From the depths of the interwebs today, I present this - what's wrong with this picture?

Z8Bracket.jpg

Hint: this is Walmart flogging a part for a $10,000 computer. I have no idea how this came to pass, although it looks like maybe they're pulling an Amazon and flogging stuff for third parties.

Last edited:
Some of you will be familiar with the saga of my HP computer. From the depths of the interwebs today, I present this - what's wrong with this picture?

View attachment 36872

Hint: this is Walmart flogging a part for a $10,000 computer. I have no idea how this came to pass, although it looks like maybe they're pulling an Amazon and flogging stuff for third parties.

They’ve been flogging for third party for years now, at least since Fantasy Flight had the 40K RPG license.

View attachment 36872

They sell third party stuff in an attempt to compete with Amazon. Noble Knight is one of their 3rd party vendors

I just made up a big batch of chilli beans to freeze. Now I have a yen to make up a baked potato or something with sour cream on the beans. Life in the fast lane, eh?
So more-ish.
Slow down their party animal. Sour cream is for professionals. :grin: More seriously, yes, things with sour cream are very more-ish especially, for me, perogies.

I just made up a big batch of chilli beans to freeze. Now I have a yen to make up a baked potato or something with sour cream on the beans. Life in the fast lane, eh?
So more-ish.
Did the baked potato, chilli and broccoli with cheese yesterday for dinner. Yum. :smile:

I am not so typing today. My lecture notes are rife with examples of confirmation boas and confirmation bios. Both very different things than the actual subject at hand... :trigger:
I imagine a confirmation boa is an enormous snake that slithers up behind and whispers in your ear that you're right, you're always right.

Confirmation BIOS will be replaced by confirmation UEFI on an upcoming release. (solved/completed)

I imagine a confirmation boa is an enormous snake that slithers up behind and whispers in your ear that you're right, you're always right.
See I was thinking something a little more decorative...
iu

You know you’re a geezer when going to a grocery store at 7 in the evening on a work night feels like a big night out.

Yeah; my wife and I stopped by the local grocery one Friday a couple of weeks ago around 7:00 p.m. to find it was absolutely empty. I don't think we'd ever been there before at precisely that time-slot. Now we're wondering about making it our normal weekly shopping time.

Yeah; my wife and I stopped by the local grocery one Friday a couple of weeks ago around 7:00 p.m. to find it was absolutely empty. I don't think we'd ever been there before at precisely that time-slot. Now we're wondering about making it our normal weekly shopping time.
I've found the same with my grocery store. It's really nice in the time of Covid. Different story with Target though. They always seem busy.

Ah, tactical misanthropy. I approve.

That should be enough to buy 40 books so you end up right where you started!

Went out riding with the kid again Sunday. Mentally, neither of us were there, so we didn't make it anywhere near where we intended. I wasn't in the mood to take encouragement, and I didn't have the energy to give it. He has been hitting the trails hard, and I'm sure he was physically tired. So we canned it and came home

of course, on the way down, I slammed hard on the brakes and took a tumble trying to avoid my death. landed in rocks. I heard the crack of a rock hitting my helmet just above my ear. After I got over the numbness in my arm and leg, I checked myself out (mostly scrapes), and my kid came around the corner. Admonished him to always wear a helmet and that he was one helmet away from his dad being bleeding with a head injury.

Anyhow, I have permission to get an e mountain bike now :smile:

I’ve been involved with a detailed investigation for several weeks, the conclusion for which culminated on Friday, which I happened to have scheduled off.. I attempted to idiot-proof the finale, doing much of the work, so that all the woman covering me for had to do was forward a report when it was done and mark everything closed.

I came in to work yesterday to discover she fucked up and failed to forward the report. This led to me spending 2 1/2 hours in the morning, and a bonus half-hour in the afternoon, having to fall on my sword as well as fix the error. There’s a lot more detail I can give, but without witnessing it first-hand I doubt you all would believe the level of concentrated stupidity I experienced in relation to it.

About a half-hour before my day ended I got to deal with two individuals from another department who have decided they don’t have to follow protocols that have been in place long before I started my job.. As dealing with that would have kept me past my leave time, I decided to postpone that drama for a day, and deal with another item that came in.

Turned out the other item had been worked on by the same person who cost me three hours of my life. They messed up on the incoming item, having not followed protocol in multiple ways. The end result is that I filed a final report based on what was there, unaware there was another inquiry going on that invalidated the data on what was labeled the “final” inquiry. I am very much dreading having to deal with that today.

I don't know why but my students have decided this is the week to become overfamiliar and think they can get away with 'bants' and attitude.
They are wrong.
The best bit is the excuses when I call them on their bullshit.

Me:"Watch the tone, Sunny Jim!"
Them:"Well I only had 3 hours sleep!"
Me:"That sounds like a You problem."

Well, for an update on my own life, I feel very loved. I have not felt this loved at any point in my life and I am happy.

At the same time I am waiting for the other shoe to drop.

And at the same time I am stressed out of my head with work. I've been grinding my teeth, and that's (as the kids say) 'cringe'.

One of my friends has just submitted his PhD dissertation in computer science. He says he probably won't call himself 'doctor' because he's worried that someone might ask him for medical help. I bought a t-shirt printed with the words 'Not THAT kind of doctor' to celebrate the occasion. Just looking forward to being able to give it to him now (endless lockdown).

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back