Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
My microwave broke, so I ran to Target to get a new one and one of them was a combo microwave/convection oven/air fryer and I'm like, you know, why not.
I have never owned a microwave oven and didn't have one in the house when growing up. At this point I don't see the point in owning one but it doesn't prevent people from offering them to me in the same concerned manner that people offer to buy groceries for the chronically unemployed. Is that weird?

I have never owned a microwave oven and didn't have one in the house when growing up. At this point I don't see the point in owning one but it doesn't prevent people from offering them to me in the same concerned manner that people offer to buy groceries for the chronically unemployed. Is that weird?
You cook using ovens and burners like a savage?!?! Oh right. You are a Savage.

Running around at work hectic flat out like a blue-arsed fly as usual this time of year.

Looking forward to a few days off at Christmas, then going back to work for a week, then followed by having all January off for the summer holidays

Looking forward to getting some gaming done in January, as well as some real life fun.

Now this would be even better if this little COVID thingy would just go away...

My grandpa always said they were a fast way to wreck good food.

The whole anti-microwave thing is honestly bullshit. It's from people using the microwave to do things that you should really be using something else for. But there are plenty of things a microwave actually does do well and faster than you could do with other kitchen tools.

There are certain foods that should never be microwaved, generally something you want to get in any way crispy, but stuff like say reheating a soup, melting chocolate, etc etc, there is nothing as efficient and you lose nothing flavor wise from doing it.

The whole anti-microwave thing is honestly bullshit.
I'm not anti microwave, I just don't believe I need one. I cook a lot at home and have never thought, "Oh man, I could really use a microwave right now." I leave meat in the fridge overnight to defrost. I re-heat things using the range or countertop oven. I boil water using a kettle. I don't eat garbage food like Hot Pockets or frozen burritos.

On a purely superficial level, a microwave would look kinda tacky in our little kitchen. A big white glowy box that beeps and boops wouldn't be a good fit.

Last edited:
Rather than bore you all with the lengthy rant I typed up about my job the last few days, I’m just going to say I feel like I’m dealing with the Four Horsewomen of the Apocalypse, all doing their best to get me to rage quit before I finally move to my new department, which currently has a target date of the end of this week.

I’m only exaggerating with 75% of that statement. One of the four is the one I’ve talked about on here who constantly contradicts herself and never gets held to it. She decided to interject herself into a conversation not involving her, contradicting herself as usual, then telling me my plans to do something were wrong. This was followed by her parroting back what I’d said as the proper way to handle things. Even people who ignore her behavior normally paused afterward to ask me “WTF?”

I know she’s bitter because she wanted the transfer, apparently not comprehending it’s only because her not getting transferred is why she got a lucrative promotion. Of course, she sent out a message saying she didn’t understand why taking the promotion meant she had to do more work, so maybe I’m overestimating her critical thinking skills.

Gotta love the Southern hemisphere. Christmas in summer time.
Here's a question for the ages: Did Helô Pinheiro have a bikini wax?
That is actually a pretty good question. She certainly had a bikini wax, albeit probably one far more sparing than what you Americans call a "Brazilian" — not a Brazilian tradition at all (if anything it's a relatively recent import here, albeit a popular one among sexually active women under 50) — removing only pubic hair outside what the bikini would cover.

That is actually a pretty good question. She certainly had a bikini wax, albeit probably one far more sparing than what you Americans call a "Brazilian" —
Who are you calling American?

— not a Brazilian tradition at all (if anything it's a relatively recent import here, albeit a popular one among sexually active women under 50) — removing only pubic hair outside what the bikini would cover.
According to the interwebs the name was coined by some Brazilian expats running a salon in New York sometime in the 1980s. As to the reliability of that particular etymological gem I couldn't really say.

I don't think there's anything particularly weird about not having a microwave if you don't use one. My family didn't have one until I was a teenager.

The teacher of my high school cooking class was of the age that she was around when microwaves were a new invention. It was a source of frustration for her that microwaves ended up just being used for reheating things, when they can be used for actual cooking.

The teacher of my high school cooking class was of the age that she was around when microwaves were a new invention. It was a source of frustration for her that microwaves ended up just being used for reheating things, when they can be used for actual cooking.

There are a few things that come out better in the microwave. I find it better for vegetables than steaming and at least one study found microwaved vegetables retained more nutrients.

I don't think there's anything particularly weird about not having a microwave if you don't use one. My family didn't have one until I was a teenager.

I've got one but for some reason I had to install it myself.
They wouldn't deliver the kitchen, either.

Last edited:
Got my COVID booster today—the Moderna vaccine, which is what my original jabs were. I had an appointment for early January, but a local pharmacy also offers ‘drop ins’ from 2-3 p.m. The catch is that they are not really drop-ins—the pharmacy still requires an appointment, but you can only make one for that particular time-slot on the day itself. So my wife called this morning and they had one slot available. She very generously gave it to me. Her shot is scheduled at a different pharmacy come Thursday.

Except for a sore arm, I had little reaction to the two earlier shots, so here’s hoping.

There are a few things that come out better in the microwave. I find it better for vegetables than steaming and at least one study found microwaved vegetables retained more nutrients.
Yeah, like I was saying, there are definitely things a microwave is actually better at. I will never bain-marie to melt chocolate again (unless I needed to temper it but fuck if I'm going to temper chocolate for some random home stuff I do).

Yeah this whole White Christmas thingy is pure fantasy, like Narnia or Neverland :-(

I'm told that Dunedin managed to put a white Christmas on once while my parents were living there in the 1960s. Mum's parents came to visit for Christmas and were somewhat perturbed.

I had a remote Christmas party for my work. So it is the first time I've actually been a part of the "Christmas" party (I work for a company out of Japan, so most of the major parties I miss, but they were doing it remotely since the owner of the company is stranded in Holland because of health issues).

It is strangely nice to feel like I belong. Like, I've been a part of this company for longer than almost all of my coworkers. I've been here for 10 years. But I'm remote so it is different than people who are in office.

Also I ended up drunk as fuck so I'm really really skunked right now, AMA.

Also, I have been drunk ONCE in the last like year, and the next day is the day that my neighbor decides to blow the leaves in his yard.

How dare he do loud yard work at a totally reasonable 11am on a Tuesday morning while I'm hung over.

What?!? You have power and obvious lane divisions. I would think I'm northern Canada that would count as Tuesday.
You don't see the slaves running in their hamster wheels to light those street lights. As for roads. we have exactly 24km of them total, none of them going anywhere but in circles. So maybe Wednesday.

You don't see the slaves running in their hamster wheels to light those street lights. As for roads. we have exactly 24km of them total, none of them going anywhere but in circles. So maybe Wednesday.
25km is that like a couple blocks or something?

Pondering whether to make myself something special for Christmas dinner on Saturday, or just more-or-less ignore the fact that it's Christmas & eat one of my usual meals.

.... wait... decision that I'm unsure of.... this calls for a die roll! :dice:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back