Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Funny story, I just had a guy I met at the bar try really hard to convince me he was some kind of uber Hell Angels legacy member. He got a little bit upset when I suggested that I might double check his story (which I'm doing as we speak). Given where I live I suspect he thought no one would ever do due diligence. I guess we'll see!

I would imagine the HA would not take kindly to someone making a false claim in this regard.

As I type this, I'm attending via Zoom a Narcotics Anonymous that's taking place in New York City. The reason for that is my only nephew was given his 10 year sobriety chip.

10 years ago we almost lost him; I came home from work early one morning, and found him unresponsive on our front porch. I got lucky and a co-worker let me go early; if he had not, my nephew wouldn't be here today (the paramedics said had I called 20 minutes later, he'd have died. That would have been my normal time coming home from work). He spent days sedated while they worked to get the drugs out of his system (it took us hours to found out what he took, because the person who gave him the drugs was hiding out until my nephew's friends tracked him down). It was hard on my sister and I, as my father had passed the year before.

To see the man he's become, happily married (he met his wife at NA), hard working and a far better person than he used to be. I couldn't be more proud to see him reach this milestone, especially because my sister openly admitted she was wrong about something! That's a rare occurrence! :clown:

As I type this, I'm attending via Zoom a Narcotics Anonymous that's taking place in New York City. The reason for that is my only nephew was given his 10 year sobriety chip.

10 years ago we almost lost him; I came home from work early one morning, and found him unresponsive on our front porch. I got lucky and a co-worker let me go early; if he had not, my nephew wouldn't be here today (the paramedics said had I called 20 minutes later, he'd have died. That would have been my normal time coming home from work). He spent days sedated while they worked to get the drugs out of his system (it took us hours to found out what he took, because the person who gave him the drugs was hiding out until my nephew's friends tracked him down). It was hard on my sister and I, as my father had passed the year before.

To see the man he's become, happily married (he met his wife at NA), hard working and a far better person than he used to be. I couldn't be more proud to see him reach this milestone, especially because my sister openly admitted she was wrong about something! That's a rare occurrence! :clown:
This is incredibly heartwarming. Thank you for sharing

Colonization is seen as some kind of demon nowadays. I as a Finn, am very grateful for the swedes that gave us reading & writing, sewers, agriculture, etc., and brought us somewhat on par with other southern cultures. Thanks swedes for your efforts! I love you

Colonization is seen as some kind of demon nowadays. I as a Finn, am very grateful for the swedes that gave us reading & writing, sewers, agriculture, etc., and brought us somewhat on par with other southern cultures. Thanks swedes for your efforts! I love you
They didn't manage to train you out of kicking the everliving shit out of anyone who ever invaded, so that's a positive. Hakkaa paalle!

Last edited:
Having started a new job two weeks ago, I'm getting mentoring from a long-term fella in the same role. It's very helpful, he's guiding me through the complexities of the processes and stopped me falling into one or two pits.

He's also guiding me on the simple stuff that I don't actually need any pointers on, like how to open boxes. And how to stack things on top of each other, so that both things are visible. I don't want to be ungrateful, but he also repeats his points two or three times to make sure I've got it. It's not easy pretending to be interested throughout. I'm starting to feel a wee bit underestimated.

I thought it was your sisu. :grin:

Fun fact up in copper country in the upper peninsula in Michigan. There is a town called Hancock. All the street signs are in English and Finnish.
Interesting. I noticed when I was in northern Norway this summer that a lot more of the road signage there was in both Norwegian and Finnish than used to be the case. A very appropriate nod to the cultural history of the area.

So if I'd been buried on the sea floor for a couple of hundred years, my first item of business afterward wouldn't be publishing my findings.

Abstract: I saw a cool worm.

Introduction: The bottom of the ocean is home to many interesting animals. Being stuck on the bottom of the ocean for decades provides scientists ample opportunities to observe these fascinating creatures. In this paper I describe the cool worm I saw in year 131 of my stay at the bottom of the Indian Ocean.

Method: Human eyesight spans an angular diameter of ~180 degrees and is sensitive to wavelengths of 390-790 nm. I observed using this visual setup for 200 years, one month, and 3 days.

Results: As seen in Figure 1, years 0-130 yielded no interesting sightings. In year 131 I observed a very interesting worm. Figure 2 shows a sketch of the worm, to the best of my recollection, completed back on dry land.

Conclusion: The worm was awesome.

wurrum.png
Figure 2: a cool worm

I've been applying for jobs recently and my god is it one of the most frustrating processes I've ever had to go through. I've specifically been looking at working in the kitchens for local school districts and their online application systems are consistently putting as many road blocks in my path as possible.

For example, one would not let me submit an application unless I had 3 references with Email addresses. For context 90% of my former supervisors did not have email, or work email. So I had to stoop to having a friend act as a reference.
Another requires 2 reference letters, the personal (as in home) mailing address, email and phone number of my most recent employer. Mind you this is for a part-time substitute cook position not a full time superintendent.

I know for a fact that the local school districts are hurting for people, especially support staff, the fact that they make their application process so ridged isn't helping.
I have half a mind to go back to working at the last school district I was at, even though it would be a half-hour commute each day, simply because I don't have to apply there.

I've been applying for jobs recently and my god is it one of the most frustrating processes I've ever had to go through. I've specifically been looking at working in the kitchens for local school districts and their online application systems are consistently putting as many road blocks in my path as possible.

For example, one would not let me submit an application unless I had 3 references with Email addresses. For context 90% of my former supervisors did not have email, or work email. So I had to stoop to having a friend act as a reference.
Another requires 2 reference letters, the personal (as in home) mailing address, email and phone number of my most recent employer. Mind you this is for a part-time substitute cook position not a full time superintendent.

I know for a fact that the local school districts are hurting for people, especially support staff, the fact that they make their application process so ridged isn't helping.
I have half a mind to go back to working at the last school district I was at, even though it would be a half-hour commute each day, simply because I don't have to apply there.

Yeah, our district is pretty stupid, but at this point things are so bad that if you apply, we'll hire you for something and worry about it later :-)

Yeah, our district is pretty stupid, but at this point things are so bad that if you apply, we'll hire you for something and worry about it later :-)
You'd think but I suspect the i's all have to get dotted and the T's crossed even when it's blazingly obvious the want and need you. The the government. It has its only drumbeat.

Interesting. I noticed when I was in northern Norway this summer that a lot more of the road signage there was in both Norwegian and Finnish than used to be the case. A very appropriate nod to the cultural history of the area.
That's interesting too for me. I'd thought that the Saami (Sami in some languages) language of the Laplanders would've been more appropriate in northern Norway.

I've totally neglected yardwork the last couple of years. honeysuckle and tree seedlings are popping up everywhere. My kids are now too old to want to play in the yard. I'm seriously considering getting either a place with a tiny yard or a condo.

Anyone else feel like home ownership is the evenings and weekends job?
The place I rent was sold and the new landlord hit me with a 50% rent increase (via a loophole in the rent control law), I was looking to try and buy a place closer to work, but it's hard with only one income to pay all one's bills with. I have found a new place to rent which is bigger and cheaper than my current place.

Yep...after my pre-op appointment this afternoon (for my knee, which has some ice hockey related damage) I come home to needing to fix irrigation problems in the backyard. Woo? Woo?! Wooooo??!?

You live in the south correct? It gets expensive and challenging up here in the PNW. Our illegal Canadians demand healthcare, 35 hr work weeks and $40/hr.
I live in the contested region LOL, but yeah, east coast.

I still wish I lived in New Jersey

Eh, at least I'll get out of Virginia in March. I'll be in Arizona, which is step up.

Boy do I dislike when the forums stop following forums threads I normally follow. Like this one.

the solution i've found for this is re-up your notifications. I've seen it happen after a couple hundred responses. Perhaps it is related to NOT responding for a long time. Anyhow, the easy solution is click and click and it refreshes it.

I’m planning a trip to Canberra to catch up with old gaming mates, the weekend after next.

On the way down I’ll spend a morning in the Capertee Valley, photographing rocks in the Gardens of Stone National Park and ruins at Glen Davis.

Weather permitting.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back