Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Nice...must be great to be able to play an instruement, you lookin' chillin' on that bass back there :grin:

I had an acoustic guitar but just couldn't wrap my fingers around those bar chords quick enough to play anything decent.
It's also great that your partner shares your love of music, that's pretty cool.

Sounds like you all had a nice vibe going at this gig, something to sip a tiki cocktail to :thumbsup:
Learn open chords like the folkies use.
162743.image0.jpg
That's what I learned first, long before I ever even heard the word barre. They're still my go-to and they're good for your manual dexterity as well.

Sad news, y'all. MySpace admitted that they've lost all photos, videos, and audio files uploaded from 2003 through 2015.

I learned today that my favourite mental patient is being discharged to go home tomorrow.

And when I say 'favourite', I mean for the last two weeks he's been sitting down uninvited in the office every day and telling me how awful his life is, then when the next person comes in, telling them how awful I am. He used what I hope were the last fifteen minutes we spend together on hinting that I should invite him to come and stay at my place while I pretended not to know what he meant. The only thing I like about him is that he has the same last name as the endboss in a videogame my partner plays.

Learn open chords like the folkies use.
That's what I learned first, long before I ever even heard the word barre. They're still my go-to and they're good for your manual dexterity as well.
C A G E D and B7 are all the chords you need. Major and minor versions, maybe with 7ths, but that isn't important. What's more important is getting basic changes, like G, C, D and E, A, D under your fingers. And above all, start by learning songs, not just individual chords. Wish You Were Here, House of the Rising Sun, Wanted Dead Or Alive, that kind of thing.

And this

They are done fixing my apartment after the water damage, and I'm slowly putting things back as I'm taking my time thinking about what to keep and where I should put it.

I'm pissed about a few things at work at the moment. That they are changing the plumbing in the building was something I could live with, despite several of the sewer pipes they are removing is just a handful of meters/yards from my desk, until we got informed this week we will move out of the building next year. There was nothing stopping them, apparently except poor planning, to not fix the plumbing after we move out and they will do a lot of other work on an empty building.

Were we will end up after the move... Well, I need more information, but it is currently leaning toward stepping up where I have my CV for passive job hunting, or starting to look for another place to work. The amount of annoying stuff is starting to move out of the "I only work here" zone and might even end up in "are you fucking kidding me?"

On a more fun and site related not. New gaming group, and the first actual gaming session scheduled for Tuesday. I hope everyone will be done with their characters until then. The system will be Drakar och Demoner Expert from -85, with some modifications and my normal "I only approximate the system" mentality, in a setting I've been creating since our first meetup and pitched during the second. Nothing fancy, just some 4-5 human cultures in the area, some demi-human cultures, and multi-layered backgrounds and conflicts.

We patronized some local restaurants this weekend. All of these are not much more than holes-in-the-wall and don't look like much, but they excel at their respective food types:
6de6e1e22b8f2b89bf70fc89c77875f1fcca40ed_400x260_crop.jpg
Mexican food

charley-s-famous-hamburgers.jpg
Hamburgers and milkshakes...haven't tried the kabobs

chef-john-s-fish-chips.jpg
Korean seafood, not just fish 'n' chips...they got a nice write-up last year: https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2018/sep/28/feast-its-deep-fried-world/

Last edited:
My partner has finally reached the point where she hates the company she's working for enough to quit with no job to go to and look into picking up a six- or twelve-month contract.

Financially, we're in good shape for this. But we have a mortgage and I can't help getting a little knot in my stomach at the thought of it.

Mine is close to quitting hers as well. It’s been a long time coming, and I don’t begrudge her doing it one bit. I wish she would have months ago.

My sister and her husband went out Saturday night instead of Sunday night, so my parents and I had to babysit my nephews Saturday night instead. Now, I know that I mentioned this before, but shortly after my older nephew was born, I was forbidden from teaching my nephews about Star Trek, tabletop games, and video games. My brother-in-law is still hardcore against gaming as he sees it to be a complete waste of time, but my sister appears to be softening on her stance though as she told me that my older nephew may ask me to show him my computer and PlayStation, and that I could if he asked.

Less than ten seconds after my sister and brother-in-law left Saturday night, my six year-old nephew asked, "Uncle Jack, can I see your video games?" So my parents babysat my one and a half year-old nephew Saturday night, and I babysat my six year-old nephew by watching him play video games for five hours. I only have a few strategy games and a couple of MMOs on my desktop computer and I figured those would be a bit much for a six year-old, so I showed him several games on my PlayStation 4. My nephew really liked Marvel Ultimate Alliance. He successfully saved New York City from a nuclear missile and beat up a heck of a lot of Doom bots.

Looks like I'll need to buy a second controller for their visit in July. Perhaps when he reaches about ten years-old, I'll run a Blood of Heroes session for him.

My sister and her husband went out Saturday night instead of Sunday night, so my parents and I had to babysit my nephews Saturday night instead. Now, I know that I mentioned this before, but shortly after my older nephew was born, I was forbidden from teaching my nephews about Star Trek, tabletop games, and video games. My brother-in-law is still hardcore against gaming as he sees it to be a complete waste of time, but my sister appears to be softening on her stance though as she told me that my older nephew may ask me to show him my computer and PlayStation, and that I could if he asked.

Less than ten seconds after my sister and brother-in-law left Saturday night, my six year-old nephew asked, "Uncle Jack, can I see your video games?" So my parents babysat my one and a half year-old nephew Saturday night, and I babysat my six year-old nephew by watching him play video games for five hours. I only have a few strategy games and a couple of MMOs on my desktop computer and I figured those would be a bit much for a six year-old, so I showed him several games on my PlayStation 4. My nephew really liked Marvel Ultimate Alliance. He successfully saved New York City from a nuclear missile and beat up a heck of a lot of Doom bots.

Looks like I'll need to buy a second controller for their visit in July. Perhaps when he reaches about ten years-old, I'll run a Blood of Heroes session for him.
Well either that or someone is going to be very upset with you and not leave the kids alone again. It is amazing what people get pissed about these days.

Try and get your brothers objections in email and show him how obnoxious he was 10 years from now when he denies it all.

To be devil’s advocate I can see trying to moderate your kid’s screen time. Kids spend far too much time glued to their screens these days. The issue is that if you make something too forbidden it just makes the kid want it all the more. Better to try and turn them onto reading books and a sport/being outside. Positive reinforcement rather than preventing them from accessing things they will inevitably gain access to.

To be devil’s advocate I can see trying to moderate your kid’s screen time. Kids spend far too much time glued to their screens these days. The issue is that if you make something too forbidden it just makes the kid want it all the more. Better to try and turn them onto reading books and a sport/being outside. Positive reinforcement rather than preventing them from accessing things they will inevitably gain access to.

Moderate, sure. Trying to remove completely in this day and age? Impossible. My brother-in-law tried, but all of my older nephew's friends and some of his schoolmates have video game consoles at home. He knew what a Xbox One was without my saying a word. I have a Xbox One controller hooked up to my desktop PC, and he saw it Saturday night, and said "Aww, you have a Xbox too?!" I had to disappoint him.

I'm fine with moderation. My kids become whiney crackheads with even minimal screen interaction unfortunately. It's annoying for me because I'd like to have it as an option but immediately after a show ends they just become disobedient, cranky and just general pains in the ass.

Honestly, I spend far too much time glued to a screen. Despite all the downsides to the internet, it's a net positive for me, so I stay on it a lot. If the Pub didn't exist, I wouldn't be on as much, but I would be on enough.

You sound like you are doing my winter break a month or so back. Except we tacked on five days at Disneyland.
Maybe...did you go to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park and see all the free-roaming animals? That's tomorrow's fun. We have annual passes to all these places so the only real cost for me is fuel and food. The passes have paid for themselves many times over.
Rhino_san_diego_wild_animal_park.jpg
fixedw_large_4x.jpg
SDZOoSafariPark.jpg

Got some cool photos at the aquarium...unfortunately photos I take in landscape mode all register as too large to post here, so this is all I can show you. The Giant Pacific Octopus:
20190326_100241.jpg

Bah, I still haven't figured out how to move the photos I took in Mexico last year from my cell phone to my PC harddisk without using Teh Cloud™...

We did the zoo and Safari park.
Maybe...did you go to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park and see all the free-roaming animals? That's tomorrow's fun. We have annual passes to all these places so the only real cost for me is fuel and food. The passes have paid for themselves many times over.

We also did the Midway and beach.
Bah, I still haven't figured out how to move the photos I took in Mexico last year from my cell phone to my PC harddisk without using Teh Cloud™...
What OS is your phone?

We did the zoo and Safari park.

We also did the Midway and beach.
Probably won't be visiting the USS Midway Museum or the beach, but might go to the Sweetwater Marsh National Wildlife Refuge and Living Coast Discovery Center in Chula Vista. Lots of marsh birds, turtles, sharks, raptors, and other animals to see.
San-DiegoRefuge.jpg
Sweetwater-Marsh-National-Wildlife-Refuge-3-1.jpg

And maybe Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.
things-to-do-anza-borrego-desert-state-park.jpg
EdwardNolan-Anza-Borrego-Foundation.jpg
5F3A2812_150527-3.jpg

Or maybe let the kids pan for gold at the Eagle Mining Co. up in Julian.
downloadfile.jpg
FBXT3321-L.jpg
Another possibility is the Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum since my son really likes fighter planes. So do I. And admission is free!
McDONNELL-DOUGLAS-A-4M-SKYHAWK-II-004.jpg
7ge7JRx.jpg

Luckily all these places, and tons more, are just short drives from our house so we have lots of options depending on the weather and how everyone feels.

Spotted a wild mule deer foraging outside the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.
20190327_103847.jpg

All wildlife is drawn to Bunch, as he is the Beastmaster but just doesn't know it.

I can confirm this as Bunch Bunch sent me this selfie in a private message a while back.
I have the pre-Photoshop version.
18lpr0u64okdfjpg.jpg

Working in the front yard and realized I cannot for the life of me recall the name of this drought-tolerant plant. Any amateur (or professional) botanists want to help me out? All I can say is it's either native to Southern California or another equally dry place, bees love it, and I've never once watered it (or anything else in our front or back yards for that matter).
20190328_150351.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back