Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Endless Flight

I have the power!
Administrator
Reaction score
I just figured I would start up a thread for things that happen in real life that I would like to share, and maybe you would like to share to.

I haven't posted much the last few days because my mind has been on my pending layoff from my job. I've been working for my employer for about nine years. It's a huge corporation in the food business. I have mixed feelings about my job. I like my job but I hate what my company has done the last few years to try and stiff us as employees. I'm not sure if I should blame my company, our customers (other corporations), or capitalism (not really debating the merits of the system, just what I think sometimes). Anyway, I'll be done next week after I take a final vacation. I've been job hunting in the meantime. I have a knack for landing on my feet even though it can come with some bumps and bruises. I'm just glad I have a great wife and daughter and family to support me.

I'm not fretting too much though. For fun, my family and I will be attending the Boston Comic Con and we are doing some awesome stuff there. I'm going to take some of my comics and get them signed there and hopefully buy some artwork. We are going to be meeting a famous comic book legend and we are excited. Can't wait.

I'm also prepping to get a play-by-post game going here once I figure out what I want to run. But I'll save that for the RPG forums.

Anyway, I wanted to share some thoughts instead of just making it seem I was absent for a few days if you noticed. If you would like to share something feel free!

Hope you have fun at the convention and may your job hunt go well for you.

On an unrelated note, today I made a new Fanfiction.net account separate from my normal one I've had since 2011. This fanfic account, which goes under the pen name of Doc Sammy (same as my username here) is solely dedicated to RPG fanfiction and possibly some campaign journals as well.

I'm going to be planning some works in addition to my games.

Hang in there, EF. Hope you land on both feet with nary a bruise. And have fun at the con — post a report here when you're back.

My life right now is dominated by a 2-month-old baby. :smile: I miss gaming and martial arts but look forward to resuming both as soon as we have a better handle on baby's routine.

EF, I've got nothing but confidence you'll land on your feet. Good luck and good hunting! Oh, and have fun at the con! :smile:

And Butcher, congrats on the Baby Butcher! That's awesome! :smile:

Congrats on the new baby, Butcher!

Gaming life returns eventually. Not always as quickly as we want, but it does.

Congrats! Before you know it, your baby will be asking you to buy them their first car. Time flies! My daughter is almost that age and it seems not long ago I was driving my wife to the hospital.

Hang in there, EF. Hope you land on both feet with nary a bruise. And have fun at the con — post a report here when you're back.

My life right now is dominated by a 2-month-old baby. :smile: I miss gaming and martial arts but look forward to resuming both as soon as we have a better handle on baby's routine.
This has been my life for the last five years. We're having kid number four in November and my oldest is five and a half.

New baby, schedule, couple months, right :grin:

My twenty year old finally landed a job. He was at A&W when he was 18 and lasted three days. Now he's going to be washing dishes at the Italian place just around the corner. He's matured a lot and I hope he can handle it. Eight hours straight on you feet leaning over a sink isn't easy. I did it for a couple weeks right out of high school. Really hard on the back.

Oh well, in nine years our youngest will be eighteen and I'm hoping to be on a more regular schedule by then ;)

I have daughters, a 5 year old and and a 15 month baby giril. We get to play more or less regularly because the girls go to bed early, so we play 2-3 hours in a weekday, not much, but very focused. And thus, we get to play a bit almost every week. Long gone are those 8-9 hours sessions. But we play. Actually, I'm running three games with different frequencies. Not bad.

You are basically fucked at least until the Baby Butcher is one year old. From that moment on, babysitters are a real possibility and maybe you can get some :grin:

I have daughters, a 5 year old and and a 15 month baby giril. We get to play more or less regularly because the girls go to bed early, so we play 2-3 hours in a weekday, not much, but very focused. And thus, we get to play a bit almost every week. Long gone are those 8-9 hours sessions. But we play. Actually, I'm running three games with different frequencies. Not bad.

8-9 hour games have been gone long before I even thought of having kids! :sad:

Mine is five, and she's just starting school now. It's not so bad for us - evening activities are fine, as the other one can look after her, so I can still go to roleplaying club - but weekend games are difficult due to my partner's unpredictable schedule. I used to be in a great, vaguely monthly, SLA Industries campaign, but due to various things (Including a very un-amicable breakup between two of the players) there's only been one game this year, and I couldn't even make it.

I'm hoping my monthly-ish D&D campaign (Different group) can start up again next year, it was on hold as two of the players moved away for a work secondment.

Upside of a non-gaming wife is that the kids don't really keep me from gaming.

I will say that my rule has long been that, since we game at my house, that any players have to be people I'm comfortable having around my kids...and since my daughter is autistic and known for suddenly disrobing, or getting into food, or what have you, that's kept my player pool very, very small.

Two of my players are married and before they moved, they just brought their kids over to play with my kids. Now that we play online, that's one of the huge things we have to put out there to potential new players: We have kids at both locations, and that means we may have sudden stoppages in the game, this is unavoidable and non negotiable.

So, my twenty year old actually got a job washing dishes at a local restaurant, he was really excited. Today they called and said that the old dish washer came back and they didn't need him anymore :sad:

Sorry to hear that, David. Hopefully he'll find something else quickly.

That sucks, man.

It's going to be really hard for the younger generations coming up, especially when automation really hits - a lot of low-skill jobs are going away. Kids aren't going to change the world in service jobs, but the skills of professionalism, punctuality, task management, and conflict resolution are important ones.

One way or another, a big change needs to occur, or we're fucked in forty year's time.

That sucks, man.

It's going to be really hard for the younger generations coming up, especially when automation really hits - a lot of low-skill jobs are going away. Kids aren't going to change the world in service jobs, but the skills of professionalism, punctuality, task management, and conflict resolution are important ones.

One way or another, a big change needs to occur, or we're fucked in forty year's time.

I totally agree. I posted an article and commented on FB a couple weeks about this very issue. Many people propose governments providing a universal basic income when most labor jobs vanish. It's going to be very bumpy.

No apology necessary. I don't consider that topic politics.

No, I went on a bit of a rant about some specific government policies that have made it much harder for kids to get that first job.

For my son it's even harder because he's epileptic and the meds make his hands shake a lot. Oh well, he'll probably end up on government assistance, he's smart and could do so much more but at least it will be something.

So, a chapter in the book of noman's continuing 1st world problems.

I've been having tech-related problems since April. One thing after another.

A week ago, my internet connection vanished. I called my ISP's help support, and it went something like this:

Me: *Explains problem*

Helpdesk: "Have you tried Derp?"

Me: "Derp?"

Helpdesk: "Yes. Derp. Derpity derp derp."

Me: "Derp derp derpity derp."

Helpdesk: "Derp!"

Me: "Derp you, motherderper!"

I've never, in the history of ever, had an ISP support service fix my problems. I've always done it myself. This time, there was no fix.

I was previously using a smaller company that had recently been bought out by a larger corp. Service went to hell after that. Finally threw up my hands and switched to one of the big ISPs. This took awhile.

No internet for seven days, yo. I learned something about myself during this period. I'm addicted to the Web.

I was bouncing off the walls. No joke.

Got it set up today, which is why I returned and blitzed the forums with my magnificent, derpy goodness.

Anyway, that was my noman trouble. o_O

I was offered a job today and I accepted, so that is good news. I should be starting that in a couple weeks.

Also, a couple days ago, I got a summons for grand jury duty, so I'll be doing that in Nov and Dec for a few days each. My first time being picked.

I was offered a job today and I accepted, so that is good news. I should be starting that in a couple weeks.

Also, a couple days ago, I got a summons for grand jury duty, so I'll be doing that in Nov and Dec for a few days each. My first time being picked.

Hey, Endless. Congrats on the new job! That's great news!

Sorry about jury duty, though. It's a real pain in the ass.

Yeah, I mean I read online about people trying to find excuses to get out of it, mostly unsuccessfully. I just view it as my civic duty and I'll do it and maybe learn something from it.

There are a lot of "strategies" for getting out of JD. Most of them don't work.

You've got the right attitude. If you've never been present during a criminal court case, it's a real trip. :smile:

I did jury duty for several weeks it was long had moments of boredom but overall it was interesting. Make friends with the bailiff if you can.

Congratulations on the job!

I've sat on two juries. I hope you get a civil case. it's much more enjoyable to see people argue over money than listen to a violent crime case.

I was actually called to be a grand juror rather than a petit juror. From what I understand, we'll be looking at evidence and deciding if there's enough to indict.

Gratz!

I've only been nominated for jury duty once. Ultimately, I wasn't picked - I had to excuse myself because I got literally no sleep the night before I was called in, due to stressing about potentially being picked, so wouldn't have been any use - but I do agree that it's an important part of duty as a citizen, to my fellow citizens.

I was actually called to be a grand juror rather than a petit juror. From what I understand, we'll be looking at evidence and deciding if there's enough to indict.
Good luck. Please tell us what you can when you can.

Strangely enough, I've never been picked for any kind of jury duty. I have no idea why. I mean, okie, so the one time for a civil case trial I asked if I could be the one to pull the lever...

Awesome. I hate job searching so, so, so much. Its like all the stress of dating with zero chance of sex.
Just remember to hit on everything that moves and only decide to go out if you're really interested in the job search case....

EF, congrats on the new job!

I think I mentioned, in a similar conversation but different thread, that my wife had a recent "employment hiccup," but that's worked itself out, and she'll be starting her new position Monday. I'm very glad for her - and for me, since I tend to be the one who deals with the finances ... :eek:

Sorry I haven't been around much. I started my job last week and I've caught the cold. I've been going to bed quite early. Not much time to think about gaming. I'll recuperate in no time.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back