Real Life ‘Inspiration’ for a Cyberpunk Game

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Crazy as it sounds she's pretty damn supportive of my motorcycle addiction. They scare the hell out of her and she won't get on one but she supports my hobby. That and as she likes to point out, she's got great life insurance on me. lol.
...you're a lucky man, but then I believe you know that:thumbsup:!

Picaroon Jack

And the Brothers Slack
Reaction score
I once stayed a couple of streets over and north from the intersection in your first picture. It was my first time in the city and I wasn't expecting such a stark contrast.
I lived at Turk and Larkin in the Tenderloin back in the 90s.

MoonHunter

Game Guru
Reaction score
ciudaddesierto1.jpg

I like more science fiction in my cyberpunk. This is an underground habitat to protect us from the environmental hell the pilots/ riggers have to move through to get between areas (and avoid corporate entanglement in the underground trains between habitats).

Pinterest tech one
Pinterest tech 2
Pinterest Mecha, Cyborgs, and robots

Last edited:

MoonHunter

Game Guru
Reaction score
I had some other thought... Cyberpunk often revolves around Corporate Shenanigans. So I looked things up... Nestle seems to be the closest thing we have to a Mega Corp and one that does Shenanigans. (Google it yourself... sigh)

However, Humanity will need a vice. In certain futures, we will have moved beyond that point. In Cyberpunk worlds, we tend to be lost or distracted in our vices. Advertising makes the point: I have two threads that happen to be about coca-cola. What Coca-Cola Doesn't Want You to Know and How Coca Cola Lies to the World Now the person doing these videos have an axe-grind, but it show two things 1) The Power of Advertising and 2) Addictive products. To keep a consumer buying products requires them to continue to need it (addiction maybe) and not know that it might be bad for them. Now the interview seen in one of the videos would never happen in a cyberpunk chronicle or if it did, it would be in a small info stream that could be buried (or used as a "See, we said it in public... we can not be held responsible" manner).

One of our cyberpunk player used the CP 2020 drug rules and hired some science types to make what the player envisioned. It was a food preservative, that was mildly addictive and had some contraceptive elements. The product was then underpriced and sold to the maker of kibbles (cheap food for the under class), food drinks (cheap food replacements.. often for the poor), and such. He made millions (rather than billions) and felt he was keeping the poor safer by keeping their numbers down (thus better employment options, less solyent, and such). By keeping his product sales to Trash Products (or things for the underclass) none of the big corps felt the need to quash him. (Well they did once, but he lead his team in a campaign against them... and since they had already destabilized a couple of corp divisions previously, they stopped them.) And the negotiated peace kept the corp out of "his nitch" of the market. He also took over and eliminated the Soylent (people made product) product line.

Yes, was he a villain? Yes in some chronicles he was. Was he a hero? Maybe. Was he just a protagonist in a cyberpunk world? Yes. Isn't that scary.

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com