Real life weapons and armor

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

DarthThor

Active Pubber
Reaction score
Thought I’d start a thread here to talk about any weapons or armor y’all have that you wanna show off. Modern or historical both work but I plan on focusing more on medieval/fantasy replicas.

This summer I got bored and went to the hardware store. I came back with wood, a rawhide dog bone, a box of roofing nails and a shower curtain. After a couple weekends I had made myself a functional shield inspired by my then recent Skyrim play through in which the stormcloaks won.

Attachments

• C70FA4C1-313A-4902-B333-3E1032C1F07A.jpeg
    C70FA4C1-313A-4902-B333-3E1032C1F07A.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 7
I must see if I can find my wife's sword. She used to train with the Auckland Sword and Shield Club. They study George Silver's style.

Whenever I bring it up, she gives me the side-eye and reminds me that it's a mortuary sword, which makes it a girly sword. I'm not trying to steal your weapons, woman!

I must see if I can find my wife's sword. She used to train with the Auckland Sword and Shield Club. They study George Silver's style.

Whenever I bring it up, she gives me the side-eye and reminds me that it's a mortuary sword, which makes it a girly sword. I'm not trying to steal your weapons, woman!

eventually I plan on getting some real swords. I have a few wood blades for practice but all my steel weapons are a bit shorter (daggers, a tomahawk and a hammer) I’ve never been able to take proper training but I’ve beenunofficially training with my friend since early summer whenever we have a chance.

One of my favorite blades is my grandfathers service KA-BAR. He was in the navy during wwii and was close enough to actually see one of the mushroom clouds.

Attachments

• 9F286CDB-D35B-4D14-88F2-05933D61CC48.jpeg
    9F286CDB-D35B-4D14-88F2-05933D61CC48.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 5
My grandfather had a sword given to him in Burma just before the war - he was a geologist working on oil drilling in the region, although I don't know anything more about the sword's provenance. It was either a Yatagan or a Khyber sword called a Charras or something like that. The latter is more likely as it is quite ornate with persian looking gold inlays on the blade, which is apparently a thing with Khyber swords. It had obviously been captured or acquired from its owner at some point, as it was quite a long way from home and had a locally made pewter scabbard in a completely different style - obviously not its original.

Unfortunately I don't have a picture to hand, but this is a picture of a similar sword. The blade is a bit wider than the one we have, and the handle on ours has a much wider T-part. Ours had a lot of engraving and gold inlay on the blade.

khyber1.jpg

Last edited:
A good video on Ridely Scott's amazing debut The Duelists which has very memorable and (to my uneducated eye) what feel like authentic sword fights.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back