Real World Inspirations for Fantasy Locales

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
It's near Talkeetna, coordinates are
62.0393, -150.0858.

The original owner spent 10 years working on it. After he died, it sat abandoned for another 10 years, before the new owner started renovations and repairs on it.

That's one way to spend your free time. I'd rather read a good book or game personally.

It's near Talkeetna, coordinates are
62.0393, -150.0858.

The original owner spent 10 years working on it. After he died, it sat abandoned for another 10 years, before the new owner started renovations and repairs on it.
Well, going to be up that way late in the week. May get to stop & see for myself.

And "near" Talkeetna is... well we're funny about distances here. It is technically closer to the official map center of Talkeetna than the official map center of MatSu... maybe we'll ask a resident which one is closer.

I'm getting acrophobia just looking at the thing. Clearly building codes are a bit different in Alaska.
Well its mainly local enforcement & codes so if you're far enough from town or just flat off the road system...

That reminds me of Norway's stave churches

Stave10.jpg

The National Wallace Monument near Stirling in Scotland.

View attachment 48355
That tiny spiral staircase on the side there is vertigo inducing. Not only is it steep and high with arrow slits open to the elements, but the monument itself sits on a high bluff, furthering the wow I'm high up feeling.

Family trips kinda harsh your posting up. However, its at mile 92 but don't bother driving. You can only see the top room from the top of a bridge southbound. Ground level you can't get within 3/4 of a mile or so, there's a fence & gate. Not a "please don't" one you can heave a snowmachine over or scup a little 4-wheeler under either, a decently serious one you need to be in half decent shape to climb. Plus it sounds like construction hit a major pause and the place is actually unsafe now. Serious rust on the locks too.

Somwhere in the Alps
Alps-with-castle-in-fog.jpg

No idea about this one
blasted-heath-meteor-mountain.jpg

This one has the photographer's name
blasted-heath-twister.jpg

Eurasian steppe somewhere as I recall
blasted-rock-guy.jpg

A few years ago I was collecting pics for a travelog of a setting I was building. It was to be presented as an excerpt or highlight reel from an in-world book as written by a semi-exiled semi-adventurer semi-noble of dubious origins. Figured pics and short one-two paragraph entries of entertaining writing were the only way to get people to actually read anything about the setting.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back