Reboot that game!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
A Mythras version of Empire of the Petal Throne.

Conan. Mythras. everyone's desire! even Mankcam Mankcam !

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea for Mythras (this is gonna be a theme, isn't it?)

DC to stop farting around and put out a proper 4th edition of DCH. They own the game so there’s only the cost to basically get an editor and update the rules.

tenor.gif

Rifts

No pew pew energy weapons. Or make them much less common.

No elves and dragons and fantasy stuff. Make it all weird aliens and horrifying monsters.

More post-apocalyptic ruin-delving for advanced pre-Rifts tech.

Coalition just as bad, only less skulls. Tone down the death’s head motive a notch — or ten.

A magic system that bites back. Sure, you can draw a ton of power from that ley line but it’s gonna fuck you up.

Ninjas & Superspies

Rewrite everything with up-to-date info on both martial arts and the world intelligence landscape (can we agree that BedrockBrendan BedrockBrendan is the man to head this project?).

Clean up cybernetics and mystic martial arts stuff.

Introduce NPCs, factions, scenarios.

Deadlands

No alt-hist.

No ghost rock.

Tone down the steampunk several notches.

Mostly Wild West types vs. horrific monsters and undead with an impending supernatural apocalypse brewing on the background.
YES to all of these.

Rifts

No elves and dragons and fantasy stuff. Make it all weird aliens and horrifying monsters.

Coalition just as bad, only less skulls. Tone down the death’s head motive a notch — or ten.

A magic system that bites back. Sure, you can draw a ton of power from that ley line but it’s gonna fuck you up.
At this point you may as well write your own game and setting and call it something else. Have you ever seen Waste World?

oh, another. Marvel Heroic returning. i don't know. if that is a reboot to do it with a system that is nearly 100% compatible. but i wanted to see the MCU along side the rpg
This rebuilt in Cortex Prime (With options to sub out/in some of the different subsystems, like slotting in relationships) would be a dream. I'm still sad we never got the Age of Apocalypse book.

This rebuilt in Cortex Prime (With options to sub out/in some of the different subsystems, like slotting in relationships) would be a dream. I'm still sad we never got the Age of Apocalypse book.
is at least a start. We are discussing our next game tonight or in a few weeks, and I expect this will be on the list, if not coming out on top.

At this point you may as well write your own game and setting and call it something else. Have you ever seen Waste World?

In vague terms, yes. Some great ideas there.

To save Rifts, you must destroy Rifts.

I don’t know about “saving” — I actually enjoy vanilla Rifts well enough — but that’s how Od go about it.

And not everyone's ideas need to mesh, I was working on something last summer. A game about the Thunder Warriors from the pre-history of Warhammer 40000 before the got turned into super soldiers. Just techno barbarian warriors in powered armour and their warbands throwing down in the ruins of Earth. It could easily look a bit more like Rifts. Heck The Emperor and Emperor Prozak are pretty indistinguishable at that moment in history.

I absolutely wish we could see some reboots for Marvel Super Heroes, DC Heroes, James Bond 007 and In Nomine Satanis/Magna Veritas (the French version translated), all with minor tweaks and an uplift in full colour art. I’d probably add Judge Dredd and the 2000AD series, although that is in print - I just wish it had been better done. Michael Moorecock’s Stormbringer and the whole Eternal Champion series would be great..

I also wish they could redo Mage: The Ascension, stripped down to playing the ‘Traditions’ just as classifications of Paradigm rather than organizations, and making it clear that their beliefs are, in some ways at least, monstrous. Indeed, I kinda wish we could strip down the entire game and start again - but it is what it is now.

Oh, and Dune........nope, that wish has been granted already! Got it yesterday! ::grin:

Last edited:
Conan. Mythras. everyone's desire! even Mankcam Mankcam !
1617421457456.png
1617421097496.png
1617421484101.png

Yes yes yes !!!!
You can't get more Mythras than the Thurian/Hyborian Age, it's a perfect fit !!!
It's almost a crime against humanity that TDM never had this licence!!!
:grin: :thumbsup:

(Yeah yeah we know that I don't mind Conan: An Age Undreamed Of either, and certainly happy to play it. Modiphius 2D20 does suit the mix of grittiness and pulpiness quite well.
But I really would of preferred Mythras to have done it. After all, BRP has been my favourite system for the past thirty-five years, and if forced to pick one game engine, then Mythras is the one!)

Last edited:
I would make a much bigger deal of the Rifts and portals to other worlds. My focus would be less on the shithole of Rifts Earth and far more on invading otherworldly demonic realms. The multi-dimension aspect of Rifts was one that was largely squandered over the years, and to me it was one of the major draws of the setting. My Rifts would be less Rifts: Earth and more about the web of Rifts and dimensions. It would be much more megaversal.
"Yeah, I've been told that Earth is like the ass-end of the Multiverse, but I really like that down-home feeling you get here."

MSH? Oh yeah. I'd change only a few things (organization, adding the point build rules, and make modeling a CLEARLY explained default character generation for PC's), adjust Karma awards upwards. Maybe (and that's a very big maybe, add in that when power rank of an attack, and power rank of a defense clash---a red feat does damage anyway. Probably only an amount equal to the next rank up, minus the defense.)

GURPS: I've thought for many years now that the worst mistake SJ Games made was in not putting GURPS Lite at the beginning of the book, with a giant honking 24-pt colored banner saying "These are all the core rules necessary to play the game. Everything else in the book after this is OPTIONAL! They can greatly enhance a game, but you don't need them to play. Have fun!"

Empire of the Petal Throne: A system worthy of the setting. (Not that anyone was doing it better in 1975, granted.) The same for Runequest.

MERP: An entirely different approach. Given that Rulemaster's the foundation, sure, but the actual setting material was dripping in Monty Haulist/dungeon fantasy notions of everything with vicious traps, giant locks and magic treasure in every nook and cranny. Short of Nazi orc stormtroopers and elves screaming "WAAAAGHHH" and toting panzerfausts, it'd be tough to come up with elements less faithful to Tolkien's milieu.

And for something I wouldn't touch ... well. Some of you have mentioned Arduin. But I don't think Arduin's rebootable. It's very much an artifact of the 70s: the whole gonzo zeitgeist of multiverses and all. To quote myself from a discussion of long ago:

Mm ... to be honest, I don't think an Arduin d20 supplement would really work, not in the sense of the original. Those of us on this thread were all there, when it was a different, "cowboy" era in gaming. Dave Hargrave, like numerous others of the era, looked at a set of rules at which we'd laugh ourselves hoarse nowadays if a ten-year-old had invented them, and created a whomping heap of Stuff to match. In the Bay Area multiverse of the day, when characters would skip from Bigglestone to Gemignani to White to Walker to Hargrave and back, cross-pollinated by combined runs at conventions, such a hodgepodge was inevitable, not merely de rigeur.

Those days are over. Proprietary worlds weren't typical back then; now it's the multiverses that have vanished. Rule sets are well defined, and there's no stone left unturned. It wasn't so much that Hargrave designed a terrific world -- Glorantha and Tekumel showed how THAT was done. It's that he was an iconoclast in an era where iconoclasm was cool, the first published multiverser in an era where multiverses were the happening thing, the first author to deal with sexuality and tech/fantasy crossovers, a standard bearer of the high entropy campaigns for which statting out class powers for 100th level characters wasn't self-evidently absurd.

A new Arduin would be cool for nostalgia value, perhaps, but gamers who weren't there then just wouldn't see anything groundbreaking in it, I think.

Traveller.

3D. Real near space basis. Rules for world gen better approximating reality (but still with a convenient shorthand) and all thrust based gravity (no magical grav plates).

I'd reboot Tekumel with something like the version of PbtA from The Sword, the Crown, and the Unspeakable Power. Mostly because I'd want to play it as natives not fresh of the boat types and SCUP does a great job with the politics and secrets side of things.

The first is that I'd make TWERPS a point system where you get 15 points and Strength costs 3 and skills/spells cost 1. You could get 5 extra points by by taking disadvantages. I'd keep the counters and maps because they're funny and a big part of the game's appeal
Can't help but think that a point-buy TWERPS is entirely contrary to the point (and joke) of the game. If you're making the point system a joke in itself then it ought to be either absurdly simple - you have one point to spend - or optional and impenetrably complicated. Anything else veers dangerously close to being useful and making TWERPS like other games.

I know that there were extra rules added over time, but I don't think any of us really meant them to make the game more balanced or realistic.

MSH? Oh yeah. I'd change only a few things (organization, adding the point build rules, and make modeling a CLEARLY explained default character generation for PC's), adjust Karma awards upwards. Maybe (and that's a very big maybe, add in that when power rank of an attack, and power rank of a defense clash---a red feat does damage anyway. Probably only an amount equal to the next rank up, minus the defense.)

It would be sweet if we got Anniversary reissues of MSH and DCH like we got for Star Wars WEG.

Rifts

Ninjas & Superspies

Rewrite everything with up-to-date info on both martial arts and the world intelligence landscape (can we agree that BedrockBrendan BedrockBrendan is the man to head this project?).

Deadlands

No alt-hist.

No ghost rock.

Tone down the steampunk several notches.

Mostly Wild West types vs. horrific monsters and undead with an impending supernatural apocalypse brewing on the background.

I like the cut of your jib!

GURPS: I've thought for many years now that the worst mistake SJ Games made was in not putting GURPS Lite at the beginning of the book, with a giant honking 24-pt colored banner saying "These are all the core rules necessary to play the game. Everything else in the book after this is OPTIONAL! They can greatly enhance a game, but you don't need them to play. Have fun!"

This is more-or-less what I was going to say. Take GURPS 4e & present it in a way that's less like drinking from a firehose.

It would be sweet if we got Anniversary reissues of MSH and DCH like we got for Star Wars WEG.
The WEG Star Wars Anniversary rerelease was brought about by several factors. FFG owned the license for Star Wars, but Nocturnal Studio Games, owned by Stewart Weick had recently bought the entire WEG company, and was set on remarketing the D6 line. He approached FFG to make a pitch for an Anniversary edition at some stage, and FFG were also persuaded on the grounds that it might quash the production of unlicensed WEG Star Wars product circulating the internet still, which also gave clear indication there was a market for it.

If somebody had the same leverage for MSH and DCH, then it would be great. The systems haven’t dated much at all, and simply a new paint of full colour gloss and these games would be successful releases, I think.

This is more-or-less what I was going to say. Take GURPS 4e & present it in a way that's less like drinking from a firehose.

Yep. We've all heard the stereotypical why-I-don't-like-it screed: "GURPS is too complicated!!!!" (Coming from D&D fans, with 700+ pages of rules, this always brings raucous laughter to my lips.) And we all know how far exhortations of "Who's forcing you to use every rule?" gets us.

An opportunity lost when 4th edition was published, alas.

Yep. We've all heard the stereotypical why-I-don't-like-it screed: "GURPS is too complicated!!!!" (Coming from D&D fans, with 700+ pages of rules, this always brings raucous laughter to my lips.) And we all know how far exhortations of "Who's forcing you to use every rule?" gets us.

An opportunity lost when 4th edition was published, alas.
GURPS isn't complicated. Its just laid out in the ugliest, least reader friendly way possible.

Like RQIII, a game that is literally written in 1.2.3 numbered paragraphs is less dull to read.

And not everyone's ideas need to mesh, I was working on something last summer. A game about the Thunder Warriors from the pre-history of Warhammer 40000 before the got turned into super soldiers. Just techno barbarian warriors in powered armour and their warbands throwing down in the ruins of Earth.
The Unification Wars would be a blast to play! You can throw in psykers & mutants into the mix then flavor with post-Apoc tropes to taste. This is a worthy project good sir. Doesn't even have to be 40k if you are worried about the lawyers.

Can't help but think that a point-buy TWERPS is entirely contrary to the point (and joke) of the game. If you're making the point system a joke in itself then it ought to be either absurdly simple - you have one point to spend - or optional and impenetrably complicated. Anything else veers dangerously close to being useful and making TWERPS like other games.

I know that there were extra rules added over time, but I don't think any of us really meant them to make the game more balanced or realistic.
The point system is just there to make it more of a GURPS parody. The only disadvantage is "disadvantages" if you write it on your character sheet you get 5 points. The other thing is that randomly rolling one stat is just a little too one sided.

Ninjas & Superspies

Of course he is:grin:!
A Mythras version of Empire of the Petal Throne.
YES!!! Or even better, a Mythras version of Swords and Glory...
Ain't gonna happen, I suspect. But it would be cool.
GURPS isn't complicated. Its just laid out in the ugliest, least reader friendly way possible.

Like RQIII, a game that is literally written in 1.2.3 numbered paragraphs is less dull to read.
I agree most strongly. Even my hack of determining your stats in an "advantages/disadvantages", stats, skills order has been able to speed up chargen significantly! What if the actual publishers had actually tried making it more reader-friendly?
An opportunity lost, I agree:thumbsup:!

Exalted. I was hoping that 3rd edition would simplify the rules and fix some of the edge cases. Instead it became more complex. Two kinds of XP? Who needs that?

I'm not sure what system I'd move it to - I've heard that Godbound does a pretty good D20 version of it, but somehow I think dice pools are more in the spirit of the game.

Exalted. I was hoping that 3rd edition would simplify the rules and fix some of the edge cases. Instead it became more complex. Two kinds of XP? Who needs that?

I'm not sure what system I'd move it to - I've heard that Godbound does a pretty good D20 version of it, but somehow I think dice pools are more in the spirit of the game.
I'm still struggling with the same question. What system to move Exalted to?
Over the years, I've tried Exalted itself in different edition (the quickstart included), GURPS, LotW, d100, my own diceless blend of Stalker, Amber and some other system I no longer remember the name of, Savage Worlds, OMNI, ORE...and possibly others I'm forgetting now for not lasting long enough.
I think next time I'd just try with something like a FKR-influenced approach and see how this goes:grin:!

Ninjas & Superspies

I take that as high praise butcher. Thank you. That book has such a high reputation, I think the pressure would be too much for me :smile:

I take that as high praise butcher. Thank you. That book has such a high reputation, I think the pressure would be too much for me :smile:
Oh, I'm also voting you in for that fictional remake of Ninja & Superspies, so you're not off the hook yet:devil:!

Besides, it's a fictional idea which we all know isn't about to become reality (unless Butcher or me win a whole bunch of money on a random ticket, or something). Why are pulling out of that:grin:?

And hey, you still have it easier than TDM. We've already nominated them to deal with some of the toughest IP holders out there:tongue:!

Traveller.

3D. Real near space basis. Rules for world gen better approximating reality (but still with a convenient shorthand) and all thrust based gravity (no magical grav plates).
2300AD?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back