AsenRG

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Heh, reminds me of my Phaserip Martial Arts Moves Name-Generator:

martial arts Movess are generated by first choosing or rolling for the Effect:

33724861218_9af41e180b_z.jpg

Then a name is generated for the Move using the following chart:

33720549478_0257ea144e_z.jpg

The Martial Artist can choose to roll a D10 for any combination of Style, Element, Form, Weapon, or Manoeuvre.

Ex: Tang Shi (The Jade Elbow) prefers short and to-the point names and thus rolls only for Element and Manoeuvre, getting a 3 and a 6, "Steel Chop". Lu Tang (The Cosmic Egg) on the other hand, prefers elaborate names for Moves that he proudly announces in combat, so he rolls on all 5 charts getting a 9, 8, 2, 10, and 2, or

"Dancing Storm Crane Fist Punch!"
It becomes even more amusing if you treat some of those as derived words, possibly even verbs:shade:!
"The Dancing Flaming Cobra Tails your Chops" FTW:grin:!

Also, it would actually be quite true-to-life. "Parting the Horse's Mane" is an actual technique's name after all, as are "Buddha's Warrior Pounds Mortar" and "Returning the Tiger to The Mountain"...and I've heard arguments that the correct translation of the latter should be "Throw the Tiger, Go Back to the Mountain":evil:!

Maybe having someone who knows something abot martial arts take a pass over would be good as well. Ninjas & Superspies was one of the books I looked at as a potential resource when doing research for the Martial Arts abilities in Phaserip, and when I tried to correlate the info to any other sources, I found out it was all just complete nonsense-gibberish. I got the impression the author just looked up some random Japanese words and then assigned them new, completely unrelated meanings under the assumption no English-speaking gamers would notice.
Well, how many complaints have you seen over it? And I do mean "over the years"?
That's probably close to the number of people who both noticed it, and cared:devil:!

People constantly saying, "hey this is the D&D planescape thing," would drive me right nuts.
"No, just the Planescape thing, thank you!"
I can repeat that all day long until they get the hint:thumbsup:.

Also, I was thinking that nobody considers Street Fighter a good system, and yet we have two people in this thread who think so! I keep being amazed:tongue:!

Malleustein

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Also, I was thinking that nobody considers Street Fighter a good system, and yet we have two people in this thread who think so! I keep being amazed:tongue:!
The fighting system for Street Fighter is good for one on one or team vs team. It's less impressive for freeform street fights because those pesky players end up wanting to do clever stunts all the time.

The skill system is workable if unremarkable, as was always the case for Storyteller System. Now, I find that entirely fine. I know it well, can decide on what traits to roll, difficulties and successes needed in my sleep. But I accept it is only there because White Wolf made the game.

The strength of the game really is the fighting system which (as long as you ignore all the supplements after Secrets of Shadoloo) is pretty balanced and a lot of fun.

SavAce

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The fighting system for Street Fighter is good for one on one or team vs team. It's less impressive for freeform street fights because those pesky players end up wanting to do clever stunts all the time.

The skill system is workable if unremarkable, as was always the case for Storyteller System. Now, I find that entirely fine. I know it well, can decide on what traits to roll, difficulties and successes needed in my sleep. But I accept it is only there because White Wolf made the game.

The strength of the game really is the fighting system which (as long as you ignore all the supplements after Secrets of Shadoloo) is pretty balanced and a lot of fun.
Yeah, that's the core of it for me. The 1 on 1 fighting system is just fun, and it's fun to see how you match up vs. other folks. No other RPG delivers the same satisfaction in that particular aspect. It's like when you watched Bloodsport and there are those scenes where they show other matches in the tournament and you're like "Who is that guy rolling around everywhere?" and maybe you get to fight that guy and see if rolling around everywhere is actually effective, hehe. Like Malleustein says, yeah, the skill system is just there. It does what it has to but isn't all that special. Sometimes I liken it to Car Wars. Like, in the Car Wars Compendium there are rules for detailing the character driving the car, a skill system, etc. Enough material to fill out an RPG, but not enough that you'd ever pretend this isn't about driving cars, racing cars, crashing cars and shooting cars with cars, and boy is that awesome! Street Fighter is more RPG than Car Wars, in my opinion, but I kinda dig the "Make a fun game about a cool activity. Once that is done, I dunno, add enough to support RPG play." design approach. Sometimes I almost think you could take a flavorful game, then take a Risus/Over the Edge approach to handle everything else & fill out the other activities you might RP.

Lofgeornost

Vulpine Again!
Reaction score
What I find interesting about this is that whilst my changes were very much about reworking the fluff, most of yours appear to be about changing the rules.

O.K. here's an example of the latter, though I don't think many people would like it. I would be happy with a reboot of Dark Sun that would strip out the metaplot and really all of the development of the timeline after the initial box set. But the reboot would also:
  • Return to the original conception: there are no D&D races in the game, except humans--all non-humans are unique to the setting.
  • Rethink the city-states somewhat. Each tended to be (1) quite different from the others in culture and (2) pretty clearly linked to one or another terrestrial analogue. I'd be happier with a couple of cultures spread across all of the city-states, developed in more depth.
  • Make the tone more sword-and-sorcery and morally grey; campaigns likely aren't going to be about overthrowing evil overlords or ending slavery as an institution.
I'm agnostic as to system. My own preference would be for a D100 version, but you could make this work with Savage Worlds or many different systems, including 5e, I would think.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Well, how many complaints have you seen over it? And I do mean "over the years"?
That's probably close to the number of people who both noticed it, and cared!

Outside of a few Rifts enthusiasts in Junior High, I have never met a person IRL who plays any Palladium games. They obviously have their own gaming subculture, but I have no firsthand knowledge of it. So I couldn't really answer that. But just like a Japanese-language RPG about the American Old West that had abilities like:

Jockstrap - how likely you are to fall off a bull when riding it
Cheese Burrito - your ability to milk cows
Houston - your skill with a rifle

....I'd assume most gamers might aspire to something slightly better

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Reaction score
Jockstrap - how likely you are to fall off a bull when riding it
Cheese Burrito - your ability to milk cows
Houston - your skill with a rifle

....I'd assume most gamers might aspire to something slightly better
You're talking about a culture of people who are prepared to run a campaign straight for two years in order to finish on a horrible pun, mind you.

David Johansen

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I've run a lot of Heroes Unlimited since I opened my store. I've really learned to hate it properly. Mind you I can say the same about fifth edition D&D.

What I want to run is Mechanoid Invasion Book 3. Somehow when I tell people about the Mechanoids. Back in the day I tried to sneak them into a Star Wars d6 with the player characters running into a badly damaged star destroyer that was broad casting an SOS. "Be careful," the first officer warned when hailed, "They're still out there." Next session someone else was DMing :grin:

The Mechanoids are what Cthulhu loses sleep over.

SavAce

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Mechanoids are from Robotech aren't they? What's a Mechanoid?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mechanoid_Invasion

They are their own thing. The Mechanoid Invasion was the 1st Palladium RPG, made while Kevin was gearing up to make Palladium Fantasy. They are basically a race of mechanical things that you can think of as like... take a race of biological folk, and have some of them cyber up & genetically modified to become more capable and make space exploration possible, etc. have them do amazing things that benefit those that made them, only for them to be feared as they grow more capable and less "normal"/relatable. Then they finally have enough of the rejection and develop an enduring hatred of all biological life based on the folks that made them being unable to relate to them, fearing them, and giving 'em a collective, umm, mental issue about it.

David Johansen

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Close but not quite. The Mechanoids were created by humanity and they are squishy looking blobs in cybernetic exoskeletal suits. And they were great at space exploration and came home far more technologically advanced than their makers. But the mechanoids reproduce by cloning and there's a bit of a mental stability issue and due to repeated mistreatment and rejection by humanity in the beginning, they hate humanoid life forms. They have friends and allies like the bug-like Dioni. But the mechanoids are also psionics, they don't use radios for communication and they have a host of psychic powers. And they get off on human suffering, which is really your only hope because they're only ripping up your world for kicks to provoke you. It's your sun they're strip mining for a power core. They strip mine stars. Their ships are the size of North America, you never see them in those ship size comparison videos. The bomb they built to destroy the universe is three times the diameter of Jupiter. Anyhow, they've come to your world and there's a little black spot on the sun today.

chuckdee

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Bushido cleaned up, with character generation that makes sense and a slightly less opaque system, is ripe for a retro clone.
You might take a look at Wave Man. Reminds me a lot of it, but stripped down to the basics.

David Johansen

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Mind you, I'm pretty sure the secret origin of The Mechanoids is that Kevin listened to Black Sabbath's I Am Iron Man once too often.

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com