Reboot that game!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Traveller.

3D. Real near space basis. Rules for world gen better approximating reality (but still with a convenient shorthand) and all thrust based gravity (no magical grav plates).
While we all know the problems with reaction drives from a practical stand point, I always find it hard to accept fuel for jump but not for real space.

While we all know the problems with reaction drives from a practical stand point, I always find it hard to accept fuel for jump but not for real space.
You don’t really need to burn fuel to travel in conventional space - you just need momentum, and maybe a thrust or two if you want to change direction. It’s only when you take off or land, which requires you to overcome the planet's gravity with thrust that you need any fuel.

There is a chapter on this sort of stuff in the Traveller Companion.

Incidentally, we’ve started seeing a few previews of the upcoming new box set of 2300AD.

Last edited:
You don’t really need to burn fuel to travel in conventional space - you just need momentum, and maybe a thrust or two if you want to change direction. It’s only when you take off or land, which requires you to overcome the planet's gravity with thrust that you need any fuel.

There is a chapter on this sort of stuff in the Traveller Companion.

Incidentally, we’ve started seeing a few previews of the upcoming new box set of 2300AD.
As long as you don't mind needing years to get anywhere in system and centuries to get out of it.

As long as you don't mind needing years to get anywhere in system and centuries to get out of it.
In normal circumstances you are right - from the basis of real space travel - we are normally talking about vast distances, even for light speed.

However, there is one speed faster than light speed: nothing.

There is nothing stopping you jumping, which essentially puts the craft into ‘nothing’ space, from or to any particular point in any space in Traveller - so you don’t need to get that far out till you choose to jump. Jumping consumes an enormous amount of fuel, of course, but there is usually still a small amount in your craft left for the normal space stuff, which takes a lot less by comparison and is abstracted accordingly.

Never mind exhaust velocities :grin:

No, I think we actually agree. All I'm saying is that it offends my sensibilities to have jump use fuel and not maneuver.

Traveller.

3D. Real near space basis. Rules for world gen better approximating reality (but still with a convenient shorthand) and all thrust based gravity (no magical grav plates).

Is actually The Expanse RPG

Traveller.

Have you looked at Orbital 2100?

If Sol is not big enough for you, this gem (PWYW!) can make for a fun campaign. (And do check out Stellagama's everything else. Omer is one of these guys I wish could run a game for me because our tastes line up in so much.)

A Reboot of Planescape with a proprietary system build from the ground up to match the setting , utilizing the original art (and since this is a complete fantasy) new art by DiTerlizzi.

For the system, I picture a cross between Everway and Lady Blackbird.

Keep most of the original world-building, even reformatting the original text (minus the AD&D 2e system elements) re-released in a series of comprehensive hardcover books.

The core rules featuring the original campaign boxed set + The Planeswalkers Handbook.

A Traveller's Guide to Sigil, featuring a combination of In The Cage: A Guide to Sigil, Uncaged: Faces of Sigil, and The Factol's Manifesto

The Manual of the Planes I
featuring a combination of Planes of Law, Planes of Chaos, and Planes of Conflict boxed sets.

The Manual of the Planes II featuring a combination of The Inner Planes, A Guide to the Astral Plane, and A Player's Primer to the Outlands sourcebooks.

The Manual of the Planes III featuring a combination of Hellbound: The Blood War, Guide to the Ethereal Plane, and On Hallowed Ground.

The Planar Bestiary featuring a combination of Monstrous Compendium: Planescape Appendix volumes I, II, and III, with stats redone for the new system.

The planes and their cosmology are such an integral part of D&D I'm not sure you could use them with any other system. But a customized D&D might be the thing.

People constantly saying, "hey this is the D&D planescape thing," would drive me right nuts.

People constantly saying, "hey this is the D&D planescape thing," would drive me right nuts.

Presuming they did. It's not as if -- even back in the day when many a gamer recognized them -- I ever got a slackjawed "hey your gameworld is on the Judges Guild maps."

And if I had, it'd have been a positive win. I've no objection to the Captain Obvious types pointed out to me, in advance.

lol, I uh, don't game with the sorts of people who would say something like that constantly.

I imagine those would be the same sorts that if you tried to play an OSR game with them, they'd just constantly sit there and say "this is just like D&D"

I think the only reaction would be to pat them on the head and say "Yes Timmy, here, have some Cheetohs"

lol, I uh, don't game with the sorts of people who would say something like that constantly.

I imagine those would be the same sorts that if you tried to play an OSR game with them, they'd just constantly sit there and say "this is just like D&D"

I think the only reaction would be to pat them on the head and say "Yes Timmy, here, have some Cheetohs"
Did I ever tell the story about the guy who came into my store and announced that all these other games were just ripping off Warhammer?

Is actually The Expanse RPG
The expanse has 2 qualities from that list, but it's not Traveller.

I actually took The Expanse for a spin last year and the system didn't work for me. But I'm still supporting it because it is one of dreadfully few SFRPG that doesn't resort to magical artificial gravity.

Top Secret, but set during WWII. I need a mainstream WWII game (with no weird world II options :tongue:)!
My character, of course, would be a Nick Rivers look-alike :grin:
Boot Hill redone as a Frostgrave-style miniature game. With miniatures of course and loads of campaigns (as Frostgrave).
I think Dracula's America: Shadows of the West already does something like that. You'd need to tone down the supernatural, but the core rules would work just fine.
So, I'd do a merged Gangbusters, Boot Hill, Dawn Patrol system for a bit broader period. Make it three compatible games, each with gang management rules and a bit of a wargamey edge.
That would be awesome!

Did I ever tell the story about the guy who came into my store and announced that all these other games were just ripping off Warhammer?

... and probably didn't change his tune even after you showed him publication dates, eh?

I don't know what moronic deity programmed confirmation bias into our DNA, but he needs his ass kicked.

I imagine you must have some great stories from the store. I remember my time working in a comicbook shop as a teen, just the bizarre ones we got.

Looking at my own collection as it stands, I’d also wish that there was a new edition of Ars Magica - with a simpler overall system and pulling back on the depth of the Mythic Europe setting a bit (literally by making the setting separate from the core game, so that it could be used in any fantasy setting centred on wizards).

There was a mooted Gumshoe version, based only on the House Inquisitor (Guernicus), which I would have been interested in - but I could see that sort of system extending to the whole game.

I’ve mentioned the others I’d like to see in a previous post on the thread, but I would also note I am pleased to see Everway return too.

Planescape has been mooted as one of the three ‘classic' D&D settings that Wizards of the Coast has announced as releases in the coming year. Ravenloft has already been released, of course.

A reboot of Greg Stafford's Prince Valiant system with dice instead of coins, adapted to Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain...

50012309261_9980bd105e_c.jpg

(Though I'd probably drop the "Storytelling Game", even though it was the first RPG to use that moniker, it might give the wrong impression these days)

I want to reboot Justifiers (which I mentioned up thread) but now with Mechanoids thrown in!

That's right Betas! You're the best the corps can come up with but guess who just showed up on the edge of the galaxy?!? Mechanoids! You thought you were hot shit until a 3ton psychotic biomechanical monstrosity with daddy issues showed up to ask "why don't you love me!?!?"

Do you have what it takes to stem the onslaught? Probably not.

I want to reboot Justifiers (which I mentioned up thread) but now with Mechanoids thrown in!

That's right Betas! You're the best the corps can come up with but guess who just showed up on the edge of the galaxy?!? Mechanoids! You thought you were hot shit until a 3ton psychotic biomechanical monstrosity with daddy issues showed up to ask "why don't you love me!?!?"

Do you have what it takes to stem the onslaught? Probably not.
Send in the goose uplifts!

I'd go for a Vernor Vinge approach there and have sentient packs of geese, each with 4 to 6 members that share a single consciousness.

I want a less gonzo version of Gamma World.

I know Mutant Year Zero exists, but... it's not Gamma World.

The least gonzo edtition of Gamma World was 6th, which Wizard's licenced to White Wolf. It's a full blown D20 system, didn't really appeal to me. It's still Gamma World, but the weirdness was toned down and the "science" updated from 1960 drive in movie to more contemporary SyFy tecnhoballe. It's still available on Drivethru.

Looking at my own collection as it stands, I’d also wish that there was a new edition of Ars Magica - with a simpler overall system and pulling back on the depth of the Mythic Europe setting a bit (literally by making the setting separate from the core game, so that it could be used in any fantasy setting centred on wizards).

I think I might reboot Ars Magica into three parts. One book would simply be the magic system and other core rules, perhaps with some changes to make combat a bit more interesting for non-mages. The second would be about covenants and the Order of Hermes. The third would be other Mythic Europe stuff, including information on the divine, diabolic, and faerie, the bestiary, etc. That way you could use the basic system in other settings, or play mages in Mythic Europe without covenants and the Order of Hermes backstory, and not purchase the parts you didn't want.

How about a reboot of Paul Elliott's Warlords of Alexander, a D100 game focusing on the Age of the Successors after Alexander's death? It's a fascinating period with lots of room for adventures. The game's foundation is solid, but it's a bit sketchy--it was a free game, so I'm not complaining. The reboot would offer more detail, though, and particularly more fantasy options for people who wanted them, like an expanded magic system based on Hellenistic occultism. I'd also want some supplements dealing with particular regions in more depth and detail.

There's a fan-made FitD hack of Ars Magica that looks interesting. That might not be the system everyone would want, but it's always useful to see how someone deconstructs a system for any kind of reboot or hack.

Edit: It is somewhat unfortunately titled Ars in the Dark, which is far too close to Arse in the Dark for my tastes.

I would have gone with something Ars Tenebrae or something like that if I were picking a name.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back