Recommend me some new purchases

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
If you are going to be able to push your limits, the cost should go up as your rank goes up. Spending 50 is OK if you’ve got a Good rank. It doesn’t really seem ok if you have an Amazing rank, for instance.

Back to the OT.

I'm going to also tell you to check out Savage Worlds. Sadly, as I type this, the Adventure Edition corebook doesn't seem to be readily available. However, if you want to check it out, the previous "Explorer Edition" is currently available on Amazon for under $10 (softcover).

In the hardcover and semi-recent category, I'll toss out the suggestions of Fantasy AGE and Modern AGE. Fantasy AGE is about $20 on Amazon. It is a bit clunky, though. I haven't played Modern AGE, but I liked what I did read of it, and it's $30 on Amazon.

OK, I see, I hadn't considered that Not-FASERIP was allowing a player to actually temporarily increase their stats vs simply their chance of success with Karma.

OK, well, I am opposed ethically to the rule, but at least it makes sense now from a game perspective.
Ethically?

I'm not expecting exciting fiction, but the Explorer's edition doesn't seem to express the rules in the way that many fans do. HERO is hardly light reading (or very well written), but at least it gets across the interesting things you can do with the rules. If it wasn't for some of the fans who have given the rules some life I wouldn't have the slightest interest in the game.

dbm I can't read what is at your link without creating some kind of account.

dbm I can't read what is at your link without creating some kind of account.
You should be able to, at the bottom of the pop up asking you to login or create an account is an option to ‘continue to content’ or similar wording.

You should be able to, at the bottom of the pop up asking you to login or create an account is an option to ‘continue to content’ or similar wording.

I wasn't patient enough, I saw that sign in or make an account and bailed. This time I waited based on what you said and after 30 seconds or so it started to show the pages.

It has been years since I read through the Explorer's edition, but this does look to be an improvement. That or all of you pimping the game and taking the time to provide examples it has started to finally sink in.

There’s a whole bunch more optional detail in other sections of the book, too. In my opinion it is significantly better than Explorer edition, both in terms of how strong and expansive the core rules are and the way they are presented. I enjoyed Explorer edition, but there wasn’t enough to hold our group without a lot of expansion.

I genuinely feel you could play most any genre in that ‘action movie‘ level of capability just with the core book and have a lot of gaming with no extra cash required. I felt that aspect made it a good fit for the one-book buy-in Gringnr Gringnr was looking for.

The rulebook is in the process of being re-printed with the current errata included, which is why it is currently hard to find (with the C-19 complications to global production).

There’s a whole bunch more optional detail in other sections of the book, too. In my opinion it is significantly better than Explorer edition, both in terms of how strong and expansive the core rules are and the way they are presented. I enjoyed Explorer edition, but there wasn’t enough to hold our group without a lot of expansion.

I genuinely feel you could play most any genre in that ‘action movie‘ level of capability just with the core book and have a lot of gaming with no extra cash required. I felt that aspect made it a good fit for the one-book buy-in Gringnr Gringnr was looking for.

The rulebook is in the process of being re-printed with the current errata included, which is why it is currently hard to find (with the C-19 complications to global production).

I always felt like the Explorer's Edition was a "lite" rules version, like a cheap players book for those who already know the rules and just need the basics as a reminder. I never have seen "the full" version if there even is such a thing. What you and Ten Bones mentioned about expansion in the setting also makes a lot of sense, and appeals to me. That is one of the things I prefer about 3rd Ed HERO, the core rules were the same but each genre book tweaked them a little bit to better fit. As I've said I really want to like SW, Pinnacle offers a lot of interesting settings for it, and the system sounds like something I'd at least tolerate. I do like my crunch, but admit simplicity is also nice and SW seems to strike a nice balance.

I'll keep an eye out for the new printing.

Reactions: dbm
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back