Resource Manager Installed (Questions/Comments about Content!)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Endless Flight

I have the power!
Administrator
Reaction score
I purchased and installed the Resources Manager thanks to the generous donations of our community. If you do not know what a Resources Manager is, here is a quote from Xenforo, the company that created the forum software that we use:

The XenForo Resource Manager is an add-on that allows you to manage resources such as files and tutorials or other article-like content along side your normal forum. The aim is allow content such as files to be listed with a focus on the initial content rather than discussion surrounding it.

Basically, you can upload files such as jpg, png, pdf, zip, etc. to the site so that others may download them. You can also link to offsite resources, such as content you may be selling elsewhere.

As for the feedback I'm looking for; I need to create categories to slot content into the right areas. Since this is catered to RPGs, I'm looking for suggestions like say (maps, guides, character sheets, etc.) Thank you!

Is it already installed and ready to play with? Without some more context on what it's going to look like it's hard for me to make meaningful suggestions.

Yes, it is. Any registered member can add resources.

I'll provide a link for those who are interested in how it works: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/. This is xenforo's website resources manager. People upload things like forum styles, add-ons, how-to guides, and there are other options.

For this website, I would think things like maybe creations members have made and wish to share, like maps, drawings, write-ups, homebrew campaign settings, character sheets, etc. Things that RPG players enjoy.

Categories... Personally, I would break everything down by genre. That makes it easier for people to find what they're looking for instead of dumping everything into one or two categories, and things like maps are generally only useful for one or two genres.

1. Fantasy RPGs (then add sub-categories for character sheets, maps, and other (guides, settings, etc.))

2. Historical RPGS (then add sub-categories for character sheets, maps, and other (guides, settings, etc.))

3. Modern RPGs (then add sub-categories for character sheets, maps, and other (guides, settings, etc.))

4. Science-Fiction RPGs (then add sub-categories for character sheets, maps, and other (guides, settings, etc.))

5. Super-Hero RPGs (then add sub-categories for character sheets, maps, and other (guides, settings, etc.))

6. Generic and Other RPGs (then add sub-categories for character sheets, maps, and other (guides, settings, etc.))

Genres like horror and urban fantasy would fit into modern, fantasy, or science-fiction depending on setting.

Just my idea anyhow. Hopefully, someone will have a better suggestion. :grin:

I'd probably lump things like Historical and Fantasy together, and Superhero and Modern together, because things in each category all follow basically the same internal logic; a floor plan for a castle is just as valid in a fantasy game as a historical game, frex, and superhero games tend to take place in environments superficially very similar to modern-day.

Thank you for that input, Ladybird!

I'd probably lump things like Historical and Fantasy together, and Superhero and Modern together, because things in each category all follow basically the same internal logic; a floor plan for a castle is just as valid in a fantasy game as a historical game, frex, and superhero games tend to take place in environments superficially very similar to modern-day.
I'll second this. While breaking resources into a categories is good, it can get too fiddly. If a resource could just justifiably fit in three different categories, then it becomes easy to look in the wrong place.

Let me also say that this is a great addition. One of my favorite things about BRP Central is all the great files available there, and with the community here, this place should have a some fantastic resources of its own soon enough.

Here's the thing. I have it broken down into RPGs/Fantasy and Historical and then RPG/Supers and Modern, with all the same subcategories. Would you guys like it better if I just used the categories like Alternate Rules, Settings, Supplements and then had prefixes for say Modern RPG, Super RPG, Historical RPG, etc? Not sure if anyone understands what I am saying.

Either way works. Personally, I look for "game" and then whatever type of file I was looking for. Say I was looking for a FASA Star Trek RPG character sheet. I would look for Star Trek first. Since it's by genre though, I'd go to RPGs/Science-Fiction, and then look for a character sheet. That's me though and I'm rather... singular. So either way works fine. :grin:

Here's the thing. I have it broken down into RPGs/Fantasy and Historical and then RPG/Supers and Modern, with all the same subcategories. Would you guys like it better if I just used the categories like Alternate Rules, Settings, Supplements and then had prefixes for say Modern RPG, Super RPG, Historical RPG, etc? Not sure if anyone understands what I am saying.
Yeah, I get what you are saying. Then again, I spent all day designing a database, so this is exactly the kind of thing my brain is already fixated on. I think the system works as it is. I'm a lot more likely to come start a search by genre, then tunnel down, rather than looking for optional rule and only then deciding on the genre.

Genre feels right. Is it possible to make multiple indexes where you can tag something as both Fantasy and Character Sheet and Tunnels and Trolls?

Genre feels right. Is it possible to make multiple indexes where you can tag something as both Fantasy and Character Sheet and Tunnels and Trolls?

You can put several tags on a resource (just like a thread) but you cannot put one resource into two categories.

My suggestions for categories:

Castle - ancient, medieval and fantasy RPG resources
City - modern, pulp and superhero resources
Graveyard - horror resources
Astrolab - science fiction and space opera resources
Tavern - miscellanious stuff that doesn't fit in other categories

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back