Retro gaming

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Bunch

The other Mods are geese!
Reaction score
Anyone into it? I'm currently replaying the 1984 C64 classic Questron. Why? Because it was cool and I need to record the ending.

Flash back to the mid 80's when me and my two friends played this for days. Late one night I'm grinding along and accidentally end the game. My buddies are so pissed. Now I have a chance to go back and show them what they missed.

All the time. I mostly use Dosbox and a ZX Spectrum emulator.

Currently playing the old sim game Rockstar. It's great. You can bang groupies and take heroin so very true to life.

I was playing Arcade classics like Tempest and the entire Infocom text adventures were available on iOS and although often annoyingly difficult they are also a lot of fun. But one of the iOS updates broke them in my phone but they still work on my iPad.

Last edited:
Did similar to yourself Bunch, cleared some old Commodore and Amiga games recently. The old Megatraveller game for the Amiga was a highlight.

Did similar to yourself Bunch, cleared some old Commodore and Amiga games recently. The old Megatraveller game for the Amiga was a highlight.
I had MT 1&2 for PC back in the day. Not sure I ever played them but I made a ton of characters.

I have a number of older games on my GOG account as well. Interesting to see what games still stand up today. Ultima: Martian Dreams and Darklands stand up well whereas I found Eye of the Beholder absurdly clunky.

Last edited:
A few years back I replayed Ultima I and II which were still fun. Odd quirks exists that made even more amusement. I think in U I ships can be walked on without entering and at one point I'd build continental bridges by stringing the together

I can't count the number of times I've played the Phantasie trilogy and the SSI Gold Box series over the years. I count among my "greatest" achievements finally beating Buck Rogers XXVc Countdown to Doomsday, 22 years after first starting it on an XT clone.

I use a variety of "new" platforms, including an Nvidia Shield Portable, a Retrostone (allwinner/orangepi hybrid portable), a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with X-Arcade tankstick, and an Open Pandora, depending on what I'm playing. Oddly, I don't use PCs, phones, or tablets for emulation (or really gaming in general) anymore.

I had a couple of classic arcade game collections for the PS2. Unfortunately not compatible with PS3 or 4 and the PS2 took a dump years ago. I haven't seen these offered for PC or a current console. Some of those games, even the lesser known are still a lot of fun to play. Battle Zone, Food Fight, Beer Tapper, Burger Time, as well as the classic Pac Man, Space Invaders, Galaga. I never have seen the original Frogger or Donkey Kong offered.

I saw these 1/2 size arcade consoles at Walmart, I'm seriously tempted to get one.

https://www.walmart.com/browse/video-games/classic-arcade-gaming/2636_1101552_4530062

I've got an emulator version of the old Dynamix Silent Service WW2 Pacific submarine simulator. As far as I'm concerned that is the greatest submarine game ever made. A perfect mix of realism and game play. Their Aces over the Pacific and Aces over Europe also still stand among the best combat flight sims.

I recently joined a Shadowrun 1st through 3rd edition Facebook group. Apart from the usual comment trolling, it's been a good page and reminded me why I used to love to play the older Shadowrun games. :smile:

I play Pac-Man on my iPhone occasionally.

I used to play Tecmo Bowl II and III on an SNES emulator quite a bit ive years ago or so.

I had a couple of classic arcade game collections for the PS2. Unfortunately not compatible with PS3 or 4 and the PS2 took a dump years ago. I haven't seen these offered for PC or a current console. Some of those games, even the lesser known are still a lot of fun to play. Battle Zone, Food Fight, Beer Tapper, Burger Time, as well as the classic Pac Man, Space Invaders, Galaga. I never have seen the original Frogger or Donkey Kong offered.

I saw these 1/2 size arcade consoles at Walmart, I'm seriously tempted to get one.

https://www.walmart.com/browse/video-games/classic-arcade-gaming/2636_1101552_4530062

I've got an emulator version of the old Dynamix Silent Service WW2 Pacific submarine simulator. As far as I'm concerned that is the greatest submarine game ever made. A perfect mix of realism and game play. Their Aces over the Pacific and Aces over Europe also still stand among the best combat flight sims.

A lot of classic arcade games are now avaialble for PS 3 and 4.

Just picked up King of Dragon Pass on GOG. Managerial/RPG set in Glorantha. It's amazing; I can't believe I've only just discovered it.

Just picked up King of Dragon Pass on GOG. Managerial/RPG set in Glorantha. It's amazing; I can't believe I've only just discovered it.

It has been out on iOS for a while, we have a thread on it here. I downloaded it to my work iPad but keep forgetting to bring it home to play on.

for purposes of this thread, how old is "Retro"?

Yeah, how old is 'retro', and are we purely talking computer / console games, or tabletop rpgs as well?

Originally I was referring to the games of my childhood so the 80's and before but let's open it up to pre Internet say before 2000.
I was also referring to video games but let's open that up to since about same time board games began to see a significant transformation.

All games pre 2000ish. Sound good?

Some ten years ago I had emulators and vast ROM libraries for the Sega Genesis (Mega Drive here and in the EU), SNES and Neo Geo.

There was a ton of crap, but playing through Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past was so exhilarating. Such a great game!

Nowadays the only oldie I have "on tap" over at Steam are the D&D-branded Capcom side-scroller beat 'em ups (Tower of Doom and Shadows Over Mystara) which I adore. And I'm a sucker for retro designs from Broforce to Legend of Grimrock. But this thread is making me want to go back to the ROMs...

One of my all time favorite video games, maybe my favorite, is Fur Fighters. Released for Sega Dreamcast in 2000, and for PlayStation 2 in 2001. The game is a hoot from start to finish. The PS2 version had better animation and voices, but they both play exactly the same.

5 animals, each with unique abilities have to rescue their kidnapped parents.

Challenging, expansive, engaging and at times surreal. Lots of clever references.

Last I checked, a straight port was available for the iPad.

Here are a few videos that give you a glimpse of what it's like, but just a glimpse. There is so much more.

Great freakin' game.

I used to be a civ nut and still occasionally play Freeciv, but the AI in 2.6 doesn't seem to work properly. These days I can't play first person shooters without getting motion sickness - I even had to give up on The Stanley Parable. However, I did play Descent and Descent 2 from gog.com a few years ago, a blast from the past.

A couple of decent retro titles that have gone open-source are Star Control: The Ur-Quan Masters and Warzone:2100. WZ2100 is a command-and-conquer style RTS game with a 3D viewpoint and a 2.5d mechanic (you can build flyers but they all travel NOE). It's interesting for its large tech tree and reasonably rich play - you can design and build different types of vehicles by selecting the chassis, suspension and payload (weapon or otherwise). I think there are still a few folks doing online games with it, although development is pretty slow these days.

I've been into retro video games before it was cool.

I still play Atari 2600 games on my Atari 7800. I buy new homebrew Atari 5200 and Colecovision games (sometimes, but mostly I just download freely available homebrew and load it on my flash carts).

I remember during the SNES/Genesis days seeing a Funcoland advertisement and calling them up in an attempt to get some of the slightly older NES RPGs and adaptations of golden age arcade games. The guy on the other end actually laughed at me for wanting "obsolete" games and suggested I "upgrade my game system."

I haven't been playing a lot lately, but I have been spending time with the homebrew Atari 2600 game Juno First.

I play Pac-Man on my iPhone occasionally.

I used to play Tecmo Bowl II and III on an SNES emulator quite a bit ive years ago or so.

There's a group out there dedicated to supplying rom hacks of Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES with the latest rosters every year. That's dedication I can appreciate.

I've been replaying games that technically count as retro, even if they're not to me.

A new version of the first-person shooter Blood was released which brings modern system compatibility and higher-resolution support, and it's just as fun as it was when originally released.

Also been working my way through the original Wizardry, via the PlayStation port that was only released in Japan. And once I can grab a new charger for my MacBook Air, I'll finally get around to finishing Pool of Radiance. I promise.

Also have an Atari 5200 hooked up in my basement - need to print off some replacement controller overlays and get some quality time in with Star Raiders.

I'm a huge fan of video games old and new, and have a special soft spot for NES-PSX era JRPGs. Dragon Quest IV is one of my favorite games of all time (The iOS/Android version is the definitive version imo, as it is a port of the DS remake, and unlike the DS version, actually translated the Party Talk dialogue from the JP version). Final Fantasy I didn't get as attached to until 7 though, as I had a Genesis rather than an SNES. The other of the big three (SMT) I'm also a big fan of, but I think its height really started in the PS2 era.

Mostly mentioning those three series is a leadup to showing off my mashup tattoo:

18519481_1434088729970939_6683418281875831135_n.jpg

Also I still have a picture from when I was in Akihabara last with a giant King Slime behind me.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back