Review of Silent Titans

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
I was supposed to get my pdf of this, will have to check my email.

I think Stuart's maximalist surreal approach is against the current of much of the OSR but I usually find the overall benefits make it worth it. Difficult-to-read maps doesn't sound good though.

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I was supposed to get my pdf of this, will have to check my email.
The PDF should already be available for you. You probably have a voucher in your email and your DriveThruRPG notifications. When you have a chance to read it, let me know what you think of the maps and the bullets.

Baulderstone

Reaction score
This looks pretty enough that I am strongly considering getting a physical copy when my next commission goes through.

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The art is really some of the best I've seen in an RPG. Maybe the best, but that's subjective, of course. If it didn't occasionally interfere with readability, I would have lauded it more highly. And like I say, I can see it leading to a fun campaign; certain a lot more whimsical than Veins of the Earth.

I went with the physical copy in the KS because I didn't want to miss out like I did on the first run of Blue Medusa, and Silent Titans looked like it would be just as good. I really wish Stuart hadn't gone HAM on bullet points, though. I took a screenshot of one page so folks can see whether or not it would bother them.

Here's a map:

I hope it's not inappropriate from an IP standpoint to reproduce these (I'll remove if anyone thinks so). Anyway, these screenshots should give you an idea of whether you have as much difficulty as I did with the usability of these. As you can see, the map is a gorgeous work of art, but I have a hard time figuring out how to navigate from location to location without reading the extended room descriptions (not pictured).

Baulderstone

Reaction score
I hope it's not inappropriate from an IP standpoint to reproduce these (I'll remove if anyone thinks so).om descriptions (not pictured).
I think a couple of sample pages is probably fine. It's not like anyone is going to be able to run the adventure from these. However, if Patrick is bothered by it, we can take them down.

The first page does illustrate your point. I generally like bullet points in an adventure, but the three layers of nesting bullet points make it a little more difficult to parse. It's not such a big deal that it is going to put me off buying it though.

As I contrast, I really like the use of bullet points in Gavin Norman's newest adventure, Winter's Daughter.
Partly it is the single layer of bullet points mixes with clear headers. It's also a digest sized page, so the it isn't quite as overwhelming. Over the years, I have come to the opinion that digest sizes work much better for any RPG book that you need to scan quickly at a table. There is a little more leading between each bullet point too, giving them more clarity.

I'm actually fine with the second page you showed. It's much easier to take those blocks of bullet points when they are scattered over the page.

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Reaction score
However, if Patrick is bothered by it, we can take them down.
Sounds good to me.
Partly it is the single layer of bullet points mixes with clear headers.
Yeah, I think the problem is that ST sometimes takes it too far.
It's much easier to take those blocks of bullet points when they are scattered over the page.
My problem with that page is not the bullets. It's the ability to actually use the map itself. I can't always tell what connects to what, which area a room description belongs to, or what the room's dimensions are. As an attempt to go for the one-page dungeon thing, or more likely the Blue Medusa thing of multiple layers of information, it doesn't quite work for me.

I think it's actually trying very hard to be very well-organized with information, and sometimes it works well and sometimes it goes too far and fails. But the reason I put these here was so people could decide for themselves, because you might have an easier time parsing this than I. And it's not like I'm regretting my purchase.

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. I'm going to buy this and mine it for ideas, much like I did with Maze of the Blue Medusa.

As I contrast, I really like the use of bullet points in Gavin Norman's newest adventure, Winter's Daughter.
Wow, I wish more content was presented so clearly; I can find the information I need at a glance. I'll be picking this one up, thanks.