(Reviews) Loremaster's Guide for AiME

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Necrozius

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I finally got my copy of the Loremaster's Guide for Adventures in Middle Earth.

While I've only skimmed it and read a few parts, I would like to begin by sharing my first impressions. I'll add more as I get through it.

So far, I really like it. Some things that really stood out to me:
  • Stat blocks for NPCs, each with mechanical tie-ins with the "Audiences" rules for interaction and reputation. I have to re-read how this system works in the core book, but I like how AiME handles this concept.
  • Stat blocks for Adversaries. Sure one could just use the D&D 5e Monster Manual, but I honestly would like to see how this game publisher would tweak monsters to better fit Tolkien's world. I love the choices included in this book. For any gaps, I'm sure that the core MM for D&D would suffice. But this gives the DM a good start.
  • Rules for Journeys, especially the DIY templates. After reading the Player's Guide, I swore that I'd use the journey system with other games and now I have the tools to make my own without too much effort.
  • Magic item creation. Lots of ideas and effects in here. Only skimmed them but I'm excited to make my own.
  • Advice on getting the theme/mood "right". There are nice sections devoted to advice to the DM on making the game "feel" like it's part of Tolkien's world. I especially liked the sidebar on how to properly handle the Deux ex Machina scenes that we all know of ("the Eagles are coming!"). Very nicely done.
I'll have more to say soon, but I'm curious about how others feel about this book.

Which system do you prefer and/or handles Middle Earth adventuring better; The One Ring or 5e?

I'm not sure. AiME has ported over all of the ideas that I liked from the One Ring into my favourite edition of D&D. It's hard to say.

EDIT: slightly longer answer:

I like the One Ring, but I have limited memory slots in my brain for game mechanics. I know 5e really well, so that's why I chose AiME because of the borrowed concepts from the other game.

I honestly don't know which is "better", but, to me, 5e is enriched by AiME.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back