Ridiculous eBay Prices

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Skywalker

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Star Wars SAGA is overpriced when you can just get all the RCR books for usually less than half the price and they aren’t the annoying size of the SAGA books. The two systems are not that different.

I played and enjoyed RCR but it a very different ruleset to Saga. RCR runs a lot closer to D&D3.5 whilst Saga has elements from d20 Modern and D&D4. It’s this mix that many people liked and it is generally more well regarded than RCR and it got more comprehensive and even coverage in its supplement lineup.

I never knew that SAGA was that in demand in the aftermarket.

It’s always been in high demand in the secondhand market.

EmperorNorton

Legendary Member
Reaction score
KotOR was in high demand on the secondhand market even while it was still a live game. As far as I know it only ever got one print run, and it was the most popular time period outside of rebellion (hell might have been more popular than rebellion), and was published early in the life cycle of the game.

Also, yeah, SAGA was in my opinion the successor to the D20 Modern rules. D20 Modern and SAGA were the best iterations of the d20 system that WotC ever produced. And honestly the only d20 games outside of that that I think were as good or better were True20 and M&M.

Last edited:

chuckdee

Legendary Member
Reaction score
It’s always been in high demand in the secondhand market.
I guess I've been lucky- I've been able to get the main book several times over, and the other books I wanted, I was able to get them for not much more than original price- sometimes less!

Skywalker

Legendary Member
Reaction score
That is lucky but there are always exceptions for 2nd hand prices. KOTR and the Starship books are particularly highly demanded.

Endless Flight

Catch a Wave
Administrator
Reaction score
KotOR was in high demand on the secondhand market even while it was still a live game. As far as I know it only ever got one print run, and it was the most popular time period outside of rebellion (hell might have been more popular than rebellion), and was published early in the life cycle of the game.

Also, yeah, SAGA was in my opinion the successor to the D20 Modern rules. D20 Modern and SAGA were the best iterations of the d20 system that WotC ever produced. And honestly the only d20 games outside of that that I think were as good or better were True20 and M&M.

I found Modern to be better than SAGA overall. The math was off in SAGA. There were issues in Modern, like the unarmed combat rules that needed to be fixed that were better in SAGA. The condition track wasn’t bad but it wasn’t really necessary in the Star Wars setting.

EmperorNorton

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I found Modern to be better than SAGA overall. The math was off in SAGA. There were issues in Modern, like the unarmed combat rules that needed to be fixed that were better in SAGA. The condition track wasn’t bad but it wasn’t really necessary in the Star Wars setting.
I think the only real math problem is SAGA could be solved really simply by just having skill expertise scale with level rather than being a flat bonus. (force powers at low level could get REALLY disproportionately high skill checks that would wreck everything).

Endless Flight

Catch a Wave
Administrator
Reaction score
I believe defense scores far exceeded attack bonuses at later levels as well, if I’m not mistaken.

EmperorNorton

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I believe defense scores far exceeded attack bonuses at later levels as well, if I’m not mistaken.
I haven't played in forever. I'd have to dig out my old house rules. I wouldn't be surprised if I'd pasted over that somehow as well :tongue:.

Skywalker

Legendary Member
Reaction score
D20 Modern is good too, but still more rigid than Star Wars SE and it lacked the cinematic combats that Star Wars SE, as a precursor to 4e, managed to achieve.

The math was off, but only really at levels 1-3 and from level 15+, which is true of many 3e derived systems. However, I found it easier to fix in SWSE than earlier 3e systems as its more easy to port concepts from 4e and 5e given SWSE is closer to them. For example, you could just include a 5e proficiency bonus for attack, defences, and skills and the problem would be fixed almost entirely.

Endless Flight

Catch a Wave
Administrator
Reaction score
I mean, we can argue about this all day. All I know is that it’s not like any of the d20 games were better than D6.

EmperorNorton

Legendary Member
Reaction score
D6 is probably my "middle" star wars game. I actually like SAGA more, and the FFG Star Wars more. I like D6 a lot better though than all the other D20 iterations. I would never play a game of the first two editions of Star Wars d20 ever again.

Skywalker

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I mean, we can argue about this all day. All I know is that it’s not like any of the d20 games were better than D6.
I love WEG D6 1e and SWSE, but I can't really see how they are substitutes unless you run only one flavour of Star Wars. They are both excellent but they also both do different parts of Star Wars better.

Gabriel

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Nothing ridiculous about this one. I would actually go for this one if I didn't have some other stuff going on. I have heard of this book, but I have never seen it (not even a picture) of it before:

Edit: Then again, there seems to be a later printing with a different cover of the same thing on Amazon for a hair under $60, so maybe my excitement got the better of me. Still, very obscure little bit of Trek gaming.

Last edited:
Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com