Ridiculous eBay Prices

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
The D&D books are being edited? I thought they just got disclaimered.
It isn't just d&D and it isn't just for the above reason. I swear I was reading someone talking about significant changes to a pdf they had on dtrpg getting a major overhaul and not having a way to get the previous version. It's a danger with all cloud based storage that only keeps the latest version.

It isn't just d&D and it isn't just for the above reason. I swear I was reading someone talking about significant changes to a pdf they had on dtrpg getting a major overhaul and not having a way to get the previous version. It's a danger with all cloud based storage that only keeps the latest version.

Tunnels & Trolls has made some changes to older PDF editions and, they say, upcoming print editions. There was a rather unfortunately named spell in editions 1-5. It is now called something else. These books bear a notation of the changes, as well as the reasons why.

That isn't the only change that was made, though. Prior to this, Flying Buffalo had changed some art in one of the old modules, for similar reasons, which I won't go into here obviously.

I only noticed that second one recently, there may be more changes to old T&T stuff that I haven't noticed.

If we want to get into changes to old books, it's probably best we stick to cited examples rather than generalities.

I agree, vague "they are changing things" need some actual examples to back it up. I know they added the disclaimers, but I haven't heard of any changes to the actual text of older edition pdfs.

If we want to get into changes to old books, it's probably best we stick to cited examples rather than generalities.
Fair enough. My point wasn't about the content but about change. Printed books are a fixed point in time. Especially older ones where errata and change had a much higher cost.

Changing a PDF is much easier. Cloud storage means what you think you have can change at any time.

Fair enough. My point wasn't about the content but about change. Printed books are a fixed point in time. Especially older ones where errata and change had a much higher cost.

Changing a PDF is much easier. Cloud storage means what you think you have can change at any time.
Your post was fine, and it led to someone giving a specific example. I just wanted to avoid your post leading to a lot of back-and-forth without specifics. It was more a preventative action than an admonition of your post.

Similar stuff happens with Anime and Manga. Cultural mores have changed quite a bit in Japan since the 80s and many re-releases have edited content. Since we often get the translations of the edited material you might never see the original art.

Yeah, I was really surprised we got the full uncut Elfen Lied manga from Darkhorse last year.

The 500 range is harsh, but concievable at least, for a game that was rare even when it first came out. 10K pounds though? I could put a downpayment on a mcmansion with that

The 500 range is harsh, but concievable at least, for a game that was rare even when it first came out. 10K pounds though? I could put a downpayment on a mcmansion with that
I'm curious now what the production run was. Was it more limited than the woodgrain OD&D?

I'm curious now what the production run was. Was it more limited than the woodgrain OD&D?

I thought it got recalled due to licensing issues, but I may be misremembering that, it was a long time ago, back in the Wild West days of TBP

I only noticed that second one recently, there may be more changes to old T&T stuff that I haven't noticed.

If you've spotted art changes it may also just be stuff to do with artist credits. According to Steve Crompton over on Trollbridge no other changes have been made to the text in the older editions.

Hi all. YES we did rename the spellname of "Y**** M****" to "Obey ME!" and then a few days later Ken asked me to add a short statement from him in regards to the change at the front of the 1st, 4th and 5th editions of T&T. No other changes have been made or are planned to be made to those books. So this is not part of some great plan to overhall the old books and make them politically correct. We changed that spell name as it really was offensive - end of story.

So this one's a one off. I have no problem with the change and see it as along the lines of Palladium removing *that* insanity table.

3,000 copies, at least according to Wikipedia: Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium - Wikipedia
Yep. It was 3000 copies. I got my copy at Gen Con UK in 2000, when they were delivered on the second day or something. I remember that the disclosure of their only being a 3000 copy run immediately made the sellers put the cost up - it was an instant collectors' edition.

For me, the ebay prices are a bit of a joke, not least because they also cost a bomb to get imported to NZ. Moreover, you can often simply take a PDF down to a local printers and make a better copy of the books yourself.

I bought Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium at GenCon as well. Had no idea that it would sell out so fast and become a collector's item. I like it because it's Dune and not a Dune knockoff. I haven't ever had much of a chance to actually play it, since my group is pretty much all fantasy, but it looks like a decent enough rules system. Reminds me of the Last Unicorn version of Star Trek RPG, and I think a lot of the same folks contributed to both.

I still can't afford a Woodgrain OD&D. Maybe I can trade my Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium for one. :grin:

what's this Woodgrain OD&D folks keep talking about?

This isn't an e-bay thing, but since there is no similar thread for Amazon...

On Amazon (US), a hardback copy of Runequest Classic will run you a minimum of $65 for used; a new copy at least $139. All of these are from Amazon Markeplace sellers; Amazon itself doesn't stock the book.

It's in print at Chaosium. They will sell you a new hardback for $19.99, less than the softback ($24.99).

On Amazon (US), a hardback copy of Runequest Classic will run you a minimum of $65 for used; a new copy at least $139. All of these are from Amazon Markeplace sellers; Amazon itself doesn't stock the book.

It's in print at Chaosium. They will sell you a new hardback for $19.99, less than the softback ($24.99).

Browsing Amazon for RPG books, you can relatively easily find some really stupid prices. Sometimes you don't even have to browse. Amazon will point it out for you.

I just got an email from Amazon recommending me a copy of BESM 3e. What is the price of this tremendous deal I'm being offered?

$768.57

Sure Amazon, I'll get right on that.

Last edited:
Anyone want to bid on a copy of Mage: The Ascension Tarot deck for $474.95? There are zero bids, but 12 watchers who are probably waiting to see if it sells for that much.
One at that price is my limit.

been thinking of giving up my Planescape boxes for PoD books. Could easily sell them for a tidy profit as well as paying for the purchases.

been thinking of giving up my Planescape boxes for PoD books. Could easily sell them for a tidy profit as well as paying for the purchases.

I wasn't a fan of Planescape. But I do like Spelljammer. One of these days I'm going to snag the POD version, but back when I was hunting for it, I realized that I really wanted the box set. Luckily, I got a deal of a mint set for something like $40. I have no idea how much they run now.

I had always intended to get a replacement War Captain's Companion. But it can be difficult getting one of those complete with all the papercraft ships for a decent amount.

I say go for it yet also keep don't sell your set for too much as one can get them in POD cheaper. At the very least they need to be in mint to very good condition.

I’ve never heard of this game before but I would never spend that much on what I see.

I wouldn't go in for that much either. Then again, it's a game I've never heard of that has no significance to me. It seems in remarkably good condition? I'm guessing it was originally a box set and the box is unaccounted for? Although in 1981, it may have been a baggie game, as that wasn't unheard of.

Anyone ever hear anything about this one? It isn't in the Age of Ravens History of Superhero RPGs either. Not that I consider that comprehensive, but it did include quite a few obscure ones.

I bought the PoD version from Chaosium when they had a sale a month or two back. The prints came out very nice and I recommend them. Runequest had black and white artwork and mostly text, so there really isn't much of a difference between the original and the PoD version.

I’ve never heard of this game before but I would never spend that much on what I see.

In the same real as this has anyone ever heard of an RPG called SuperWARRIOR! It's a fit matrix printout I've had since the mid to early 80's. I can't recall if it was some friend of a friends home creation or an "actual" rpg. Anyone?

I was window shopping on ebay when I came across a seller who was selling a DTRPG reprint book for about twice what DTRPG sells it for. To be fair, they do say that it's a reprint, but they don't say where the got it. I see this kind of thing a lot when browsing for RPGs, so I continued on.

Then I saw another listing. It was another reprint book. It was also about double the DTRPG price. The listing did describe it as a reprint, but no information on where it originally came from.

Then another, and another, and another. All were by the same seller. So I looked at their store.

They seem to do pretty brisk business reselling DTRPG POD books. It seems they price them about 150% to 200%, charge a bit of shipping, and list LOTS of titles. The images all seem to be of items in hand by the seller, and there don't seem to be any provisions in the listing for large shipping delays. So, I guess they just order tons of books from DTRPG and resell them.

Most of their feedback is positive, except for one where the buyer seems to have realized that they were paying collector's prices for a POD version.

Obviously, I'm not harmed by this. I haven't bought from them, and don't have any immediate intentions of doing so. So, I have no dog in this fight. But is their practice a good or a bad thing? Are they providing a reasonable service in some way I don't see? Or are they just profiting on gamers who don't know the place they could buy this stuff for cheaper?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back