Ridiculous eBay Prices

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I don't have the impression of even the first edition of the MM is that rare.

There’s an auction for the Deck of Many Things from Dragon on E-Bay. It was ho to around $26 last time I checked.

Meanwhile, for $7 you can BIN a copy of the issue with the cards still bound in.

Hmmm. I thought that lot of Street Fighter RPG stuff would go for a lot higher considering its rarity. Very surprised it didn't reach triple digits.

Hmmm. I thought that lot of Street Fighter RPG stuff would go for a lot higher considering its rarity. Very surprised it didn't reach triple digits.
I don't think it was ever popular though.

Didn't catch the final price, but when it was floating in the fifties, eBay was trying to promote the core book-- just the core book-- for $59.95.

Did you do anything for the BGC books? I still have those. I never got to use them in play, but I remember the lore in them was good.
The closest was Benjamin Wright doing a write-up of my Bubblegum Conundrum website as an online resource in the back chapter of BGC:EX.

I’ve known about this on DriveThruRPG for a while now, but since it’s currently on sale I thought I’d finally let you know about it.

I fear clicking on it to see what a POD edition costs.

CD0175D2-09D0-4D07-946E-E8CEAE476115.jpeg

I’ve known about this on DriveThruRPG for a while now, but since it’s currently on sale I thought I’d finally let you know about it.

I fear clicking on it to see what a POD edition costs.

View attachment 40418
I just checked and you can get POD without the $,1500.00 discount apparently.

Just for laughs I thought I'd take a look, and it is there so KS backers can get it for cost with a discount code.

Yeah, it's more DTRPG's fault than the designer.
Dumb question, perhaps, but my understanding is publishers agree to/ask to be part of a sale. Wouldn’t the publisher have made a point to ask to be involved in this sale so we could get this amazing discount?

Dumb question, perhaps, but my understanding is publishers agree to/ask to be part of a sale. Wouldn’t the publisher have made a point to ask to be involved in this sale so we could get this amazing discount?
I know sometimes things are included as part of a sale that should not be, and are listed with zero discount. I'm not really sure how that happens.

In this case, the product isn't really on DTRPG. Usually, they have it hidden from others. In this case, however, it had to be there in order to be able to order the physical copy for kickstarter delivery. Usually, if you go to the page for such things, it will say that product doesn't exist. I think the sale conflicted with that, showing the product.

But I could be totally wrong.

lol at Noble Knight's ridiculous markups.

Don't think I've ever seen this go for higher than eighty dollars in the BGG market and this isn't even a near mint copy.

lol at Noble Knight's ridiculous markups.

Don't think I've ever seen this go for higher than eighty dollars in the BGG market and this isn't even a near mint copy.

My only experiences with Noble Knight have been “Oh, yeah, we have that listed for sale, but we don’t have it for sale,” as well as “We didn’t mention if everything was included, we’ll say we’ll check on that for you and never get back to you.”

As the latter was part of the few things I really would like to add to my RPG collection, and wanted since the 90s, it left me with an intense dislike of then.

My experiences with Noble Knight have been great. But then again, I've only bought recently used or retail stuff from them. I want to get the Renegade Legion stuff, but their prices are pretty high- I'm not sure if those are market prices, though.

My experiences with Noble Knight have been great. But then again, I've only bought recently used or retail stuff from them. I want to get the Renegade Legion stuff, but their prices are pretty high- I'm not sure if those are market prices, though.
I was trying to buy some subscriber editions of West End Games’ Infiniverse newsletter for Torg. Subscribers got a customized insert page in their copies of the newsletter, none of which were reprinted when West End Games released the individual issues in PDF, or when the current rights holder did a bundle PDF of all of them.

That, the 1989 Gen Con promotional eternity shard with business card, and the Waldenbooks Torg display are the white whales of my gaming collection.

I was trying to buy some subscriber editions of West End Games’ Infiniverse newsletter for Torg. Subscribers got a customized insert page in their copies of the newsletter, none of which were reprinted when West End Games released the individual issues in PDF, or when the current rights holder did a bundle PDF of all of them.

That, the 1989 Gen Con promotional eternity shard with business card, and the Waldenbooks Torg display are the white whales of my gaming collection.
I like Torg... but not that much.

I like Torg... but not that much.
I’m a fanboy for WEG’s version. It’s my favorite RPG of all time. I have a bunch of promotional stuff from back in the day, from the poster to the prospectus to the one-sheets sent to dealers to post as ads for individual books. I even have the painting for the cover of Space Gods.

i tried expanding my art collection fir Torg beyond that. One artist has never replied back to me, and my experience with another left me convinced he was on drugs when he….I was going to say “Responded,” but is writing someone 52 times in six hours six months after you were given their e-mail considered a response?

Man do I miss all my old Renegade Legion stuff. I loved it and hoped it would sell better than it did. This new version from the Kickstarter that's Interceptor doesn't really interest me.

I had some issues with Noble Knight Games but they were good about correcting the issue so I can't really complain much, to be more on topic. heh.

I'm sure they're fine on more recent stuff. They just seem weirdly unaware of the market value of older games, considering their business. There's only a tiny handful that follow the "old = expensive" model. Half of them go for less than a modern game.

I'm sure they're fine on more recent stuff. They just seem weirdly unaware of the market value of older games, considering their business. There's only a tiny handful that follow the "old = expensive" model. Half of them go for less than a modern game.

I have noted that they will take new information into account. A lot of their Hero System 5E products were going for high prices; when I pointed out to them that the Hero Games store had a lot of them for half cover price, I saw their prices drop as well.

Man do I miss all my old Renegade Legion stuff. I loved it and hoped it would sell better than it did. This new version from the Kickstarter that's Interceptor doesn't really interest me.

I had some issues with Noble Knight Games but they were good about correcting the issue so I can't really complain much, to be more on topic. heh.
That new stuff just has the name. Hard pass.

I recently reacquired some Renegade Legion and a Crimson Skies stuff. For the RL stuff, there was a seller who had a storage room full of sealed product. Seller name is 13stingray13

still has stuff listed

I recently reacquired some Renegade Legion and a Crimson Skies stuff. For the RL stuff, there was a seller who had a storage room full of sealed product. Seller name is 13stingray13

still has stuff listed
Thanks! I take it on ebay?

I looked into selling some stuff to Noble Knight a while back when they were looking for TSR items. The PDF on their site of "most wanted" items stated:

Knight's Most Wanted
And now, we present to you a rotating selection of games our kingdom is temporarily paying a premium for

They wanted to pay a pittance to resell for an outrageous amount. For example they wanted to buy very good condition copies of the Forgotten Realms Atlas for $10, but at the time they were selling very good copies for $120. I mean I get you need to make a profit, but 12 times what you are willing to pay me? And that's your "premium" offer?

I looked into selling some stuff to Noble Knight a while back when they were looking for TSR items. The PDF on their site of "most wanted" items stated:

They wanted to pay a pittance to resell for an outrageous amount. For example they wanted to buy very good condition copies of the Forgotten Realms Atlas for $10, but at the time they were selling very good copies for $120. I mean I get you need to make a profit, but 12 times what you are willing to pay me? And that's your "premium" offer?
My impression is that their entire business model is based on both buying from and selling to people who don't know the market price. Either that or people with large amounts of disposable income who don't care how much they pay as long as they don't have to deal with ebay auctions etc.

Sorry. Yes, he is on eBay.
(huge mental twitch) I am so tempted to contact him and ask him for one of everything to replace all my old Renegade Legion materials. After what I spent last year on gaming and with my vow to bring down the spending to half of what I spent last year I think I'm gonna stay strong and resist this one. (sigh)

A bit of digging into what sellers on the geekmarket (which has a combination of serious sellers and hobbyists) think about Noble Knight and the takeaway is this:

They will massively lowball you on prices. It's only ever really worthwhile if you're willing to take store credit instead and even not always then.

The main thing they have going for them is convenience, especially if you're wanting to shift a bulk lot of games. You'll make much more on Ebay, local groups, Craig's List etc.

They use automated bots to bid (people are pretty sure but don't have proof of that). As a rule of thumb, NK seems to almost never go over half of what they'd sell it for in store so that can be gamed.

They have the same business model as Troll & Toad used to, before T&T moved solely into ccgs. This may suggest that RPGers and boardgamers are simply too savvy for this to be sustainable.

(huge mental twitch) I am so tempted to contact him and ask him for one of everything to replace all my old Renegade Legion materials. After what I spent last year on gaming and with my vow to bring down the spending to half of what I spent last year I think I'm gonna stay strong and resist this one. (sigh)
He has listings for it. I don't see a few things (Centurion, most tellingly), but I got Prefect, Interceptor, and Leviathan in a lot for $50. The boxes are damaged, but I don't care. He has listings for Prefect and Leviathan separately for $25 new, but no Interceptor. He also has this crazy thing with new versions of all 3 - packaged 2per for $130.

There's lots of books, too!

Listing of all that he had:

chuckdee chuckdee Oh trust me I found him and reviewed everything he had, then sighed deeply and remembered that I spent roughly $9.4k last year on gaming alone. So I'm working on restraint for the first six months of this year. lol
Sweet Summer Child. You don't want to know how much I spent last year. I don't want to know how much I spent last year.

Anyone have any idea how Wayne's Books compares to Noble Knight?

I've got several crates of gaming stuff that I've been trying to sell online for years and getting tired of trying, of course I haven't tried to sell on eBay or anything like that, just on forums. I wish there was a gaming equivalent of BrickLink which is the go to place for buying and selling Lego outside of eBay. It's nice you can see current asking prices and 6 month sales history.

I have noted that they will take new information into account. A lot of their Hero System 5E products were going for high prices; when I pointed out to them that the Hero Games store had a lot of them for half cover price, I saw their prices drop as well.

that is what drives me nuts about too many lgs and driving me to make more and more purchases through Amazon or Drivethrurpg.

The store should be doing their own research on prices. Not be schooled by the average customer. Or worse hoping no one says anything and keep the prices high on purpose.
One store I stopped going too the owners seemed lost imo. I told them their was a 3.5 and new edition of WOD coming out and they seemed totally clueless about it. Yet tried to pass themselves off as experts in the field because they drove to get the new product directly from the distributor.

My impression is that their entire business model is based on both buying from and selling to people who don't know the market price. Either that or people with large amounts of disposable income who don't care how much they pay as long as they don't have to deal with ebay auctions etc.
Unfortunately that business model works with gamers who dislike going online.
Most gamers are on the know about prices as we do our research before selling. Luckily I have only bought and not too rare items.

It was like how the only store in my area with a used section became greedy with it. Advanced 1E D&D books and later would go for 10-20$. Suddenly the all jumped to 30$ and more. I wanted to buy a copy of Grewhawk Adventures yet it was at 40$. Beaten, yellow paged, spin held in place with yellower scotch tape. You expect me to pay almost full cover price get out of town. The. They wondered why their sales dropped. Sorry just because we are gamer geeks we ain’t stupid.

I don’t recall the specifics but he was pretty open and willing to customize a set of products that I wanted.

Not RPG related, but I saw this listing and... well, you'll see...

Dang, now I wish I’d saved the Orgone Energy Amplifier E-Bay kept recommending when I searched for Silent Mobius. More to the point, I wish I’d saved it when it was listed for a four-figure sum.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back