Rings of Power Discussion Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
My S.O. thought there was serious romantic chemistry between Galadriel and Mr Wonderful ("What the fuck are you waiting for? Kiss her already!"). When she saw the reflection on the water, boy was she pissed!

I still think this show would have been better if it was titled:

Galadriel: Warrior Princess

These tweets perfectly explain just how badly written this show is...

1666020066633.png
1666020104536.png
1666020150281.png
1666020187479.png
1666020223793.png
1666020271425.png
1666020305948.png
1666020341752.png
1666020382151.png

Not quite sure about all the content outlined here (believing that Sauron is repentant? Nah), or what some of it directly relates to, having not watched a lot of this but from what I'm reading here and elsewhere, Sauron being this guy just makes no sense. Too much has been left to chance; hardly any of this was in Sauron's control or gift to manipulate, it was just a series of random events with no plan - at least from Sauron. Actually, it could have made more sense for show-Galadriel to be Sauron. But it does seem like these show writers really have learnt their 'craft' at the feet of Bad Reboot and Jar Jar Abrams; its a car crash. Apparently its going to be over 2 years before the second series is released; for the sake of Tolkien's legacy here's hoping it gets quietly forgotten and cancelled.

Last edited:
I've been chewing on the series for the past couple of days and had some thoughts.
While I feel like it definetly could have been done better, I liked the Galadrial/Sauron story.
I feel like when Galadrial had found him, Sauron had given up and was sailing back to Valinor to turn himself in to the Valar, then he got ship wrecked and picked up by the Numenoreans. Still despondent he tries to settle as a smith, but Galadrial keeps pushing him to be "king".
He starts to regain his hope when Mount Doom blows up and creates a perfect place to build a massive Orc army, but not quite enough to fully commit.
What really reignites his hope is the revelation of the rings, game-changing tools for him to completely dominate Middle-Earth. So now that he has a place to start over, and the path (using rings of power to dominate everyone) he's filled with hope.
I think that him telling Galadrial she can be queen to help keep him in check was just him trying to seducer her with promises of power to keep her from blowing his new plan.
I like this interpretation because Galadrial's blind drive to destroy the enemy made her oblivious to the fact that she was the one who reignited his desire to conquer and destroy.

Other things I liked:
Khazad-dum uses giant mirrors to light up underground farms.
Mithril was created by the Simiril during a battle with the Balrog of Moria. (Doesn't explain how it's found in Numenor which is something I recall reading about).
The Entrance to Khazad-dum is not grandiose, which I feel fits with the Dwarves reclusive nature.
The Entrance to Valinor is cool.
Numenor is pretty cool aesthetically.
Proto-hobbits and their rocking hair.

Things I thought could have been done better:
Galadrial's acting felt a little too unnatural.
Gandalf going from barely able to talk to a master speaker felt a little rushed.
I felt that Pharazon should have been a member of the royal family instead of some random advisor.
Showing the Balrog hanging around the Mithril felt like a missed opportunity to not show it and build some tension.

Thing's that I'm disappointed about:
They only forged the 3 elf rings, where are the rings for men and dwarves?
The whole Elves are loosing their immortality plot thread.

Thing's I'm deeply disappointed about:
Beardless Dwarf Woman.

So Sauron becomes evil because he gets rejected by Galadriel? He becomes a Dark Lord because he’s an incel?

Topical, but this show is bullshit.

I think the writers should consider Tolkien’s ultimate influences when they are filling in motivations for major characters. I haven’t seen these episodes yet, but to me it would seem that him seducing Galadriel would just be a ploy to expand his power and he would kill her at a moment’s notice. Sauron would not be concerned with getting affection from someone else.

These tweets perfectly explain just how badly written this show is...

View attachment 50781
View attachment 50782
View attachment 50783
View attachment 50784
View attachment 50785
View attachment 50786
View attachment 50787
View attachment 50788
View attachment 50789

Not quite sure about all the content outlined here (believing that Sauron is repentant? Nah), or what some of it directly relates to, having not watched a lot of this but from what I'm reading here and elsewhere, Sauron being this guy just makes no sense. Too much has been left to chance; hardly any of this was in Sauron's control or gift to manipulate, it was just a series of random events with no plan - at least from Sauron. Actually, it could have made more sense for show-Galadriel to be Sauron. But it does seem like these show writers really have learnt their 'craft' at the feet of Bad Reboot and Jar Jar Abrams; its a car crash. Apparently its going to be over 2 years before the second series is released; for the sake of Tolkien's legacy here's hoping it gets quietly forgotten and cancelled.
Who did those? They're brilliant!

So Sauron becomes evil because he gets rejected by Galadriel? He becomes a Dark Lord because he’s an incel?

Topical, but this show is bullshit.

Not really, he tries to seduce/corrupt Galadriel to join him as his Queen as he believes that his domination of Middle Earth is for its own good, a common attitude among tyrants. He's pretty clearly the Dark Lord from the get-go, I mean he was the secondhand man of Morgoth, fought wars, schemed to create Mordor, etc.

Last edited:
Who did those? They're brilliant!

I'll try and find out. Got 'em off a mate who shared them so will check to see if he know. Definitely off Twitter though. I agree they're great; really point out that Sauron didn't plan anything and that the setups make zero sense. Again, the writers have come from the school of Jar Jar Abrams. And it shows.

Not really, he tries to seduce/corrupt Galadriel to join him as his Queen as he believes that his domination of Middle Earth is for its own good, a common attitude among tyrants. He's pretty clearly the Dark Lord from the get-go, I mean he was the secondhand man of Morgoth, fought wars, schemed to create Mordor, etc.
Ah ok phew. For a second there I was… okay I have so many mixed feelings. Can someone please tell me if this is good or not LOL

So, apparently the dwarf king in Rings of Power is played by an actor who played a drug dealer in Ozark who was betrayed and murdered by his wife. So, I'm totally using that somewhere, a dwarf king who started out as a drug dealer who will get betrayed and murdered by his wife.

Just bizarre.

In Tolkien's lore, during the Second Age, Sauron is akin to a character with a lot of similarities to Loki

In his 'fair guise of Annatar' he lives in Eregion for a few hundred years with the Elves, creating the high artisans Order with Lord Celebrimbor, before pulling off the Ring Forging heist

He was certainly in the game for the Long Play

It's quite a remarkable deviation how the tv series does this

I see that Season 2 is down for 2024, but I think at this rate the wind may not be in the sails by then...

Article here

Last edited:
Just bizarre.

In Tolkien's lore, during the Second Age, Sauron is akin to a character with a lot of similarities to Loki

In his 'fair guise of Annatar' he lives in Eregion for a few hundred years with the Elves, creating the high artisans Order with Lord Celebrimbor, before pulling off the Ring Forging heist

He was certainly in the game for the Long Play

Showing the Second Age from Sauron’s point of view is tight!

So, apparently the dwarf king in Rings of Power is played by an actor who played a drug dealer in Ozark who was betrayed and murdered by his wife. So, I'm totally using that somewhere, a dwarf king who started out as a drug dealer who will get betrayed and murdered by his wife.
I feel like that's a Shakespeare play.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back