Roll20 Etiquette

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

PolarBlues

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I posted a game recruitment advert on Roll20, first time ever. I've got my first response. The potential players is asking where to post his "application".

What is an application in Roll20 context? What is it I should be doing when looking at game sign ups? I kind of assumed it would be first-come first-served, sort of like sign ups at real life convention games.

Any other Roll20 ettiquette points and common practices I should be aware of?

I posted a game recruitment advert on Roll20, first time ever. I've got my first response. The potential players is asking where to post his "application".

What is an application in Roll20 context? What is it I should be doing when looking at game sign ups? I kind of assumed it would be first-come first-served, sort of like sign ups at real life convention games.

Any other Roll20 ettiquette points and common practices I should be aware of?
I think other GMs who've done it more develop screening processes to weed out players who don't fit well with their style. So try to understand what you want in a player. Do they need to be willing to do heavy role playing? Are you looking for beer and pretzels level playing? Is combat a focus and if so how much do you want to have to hand hold them through their turn? What level of rules knowledge do you expect? Can they accept it if you deviate from rules as written to make the game run the way you prefer? What material do you allow/deny?

Those sorts of things. Then there are social expectations. Do you use things like X cards etc? Do you want people to refrain from non game chat in the session? What about politics?

Basically I think you want to give them your expectations and they are providing you their expectations.

Yea, "application" usually just means a chat conversation with the person, at least that's all I've ever done.

I did one time do a drop in game and actually got some decent folks. Unfortunately they didn't come back for another game and all we really did was roll up Cold Iron characters, but it was still a very pleasant evening and a nice surprise.

Many times folks don't respond to me after I respond to their "application." I think a lot of players fire off a bunch of applications and then take the first one that invites them. Other players may simply ghost you when you ask questions that suggest to them the game isn't a good fit. Only once or twice has someone responded that the game didn't seem like a good fit.

But I've got several players I really enjoy playing with that I've met through Roll20.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back