Rolling the Dice On A Target

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

David Johansen

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Here's a concept for getting varied results on a die roll that I will probably never use as it falls into the hated category of "stupid dice tricks."

The dice are rolled on a target in the center of the table. It may just have a bullseye and rings or it might be broken into quadrants or even sectors. The part of the target the die lands in determines additional effects like and, or, but, if, and while. The player may orient the target before rolling but the dice must be thrown into the target not from within it. The target could be a dice tray with edges and bouncing off the edge might also be a requirement.

Has anyone seen this one anywhere else before?

Here's a concept for getting varied results on a die roll that I will probably never use as it falls into the hated category of "stupid dice tricks."

The dice are rolled on a target in the center of the table. It may just have a bullseye and rings or it might be broken into quadrants or even sectors. The part of the target the die lands in determines additional effects like and, or, but, if, and while. The player may orient the target before rolling but the dice must be thrown into the target not from within it. The target could be a dice tray with edges and bouncing off the edge might also be a requirement.

Has anyone seen this one anywhere else before?
I think Vornheim has a mechanic where you roll on the page and the location is where the effect of the dice takes place.

Interesting. I was thinking d8s and d10s would be best as they have a clear pointer on them.

Something like this?

20181129_120100166_iOS.jpg

Black Hack 2e has a hit location randomizer where you drop dice on a page and where it lands on the target image is where they get hit, and there's a similar randomizer for what village contents.

In the LotFP scenario Scenic Dunnsmouth you generate a village map by rolling a bunch of dice on a blank piece of paper.

I think as a resolution mechanic, anything that depended on the position the dice land would wind up frustrating. Some players would be better at aiming than others. And don't allow throwing multiple dice one at a time... Dice bowling was bad enough back in the day, now we have dice croquet...

Now the drop dice table idea is neat and if Scenic Dunnsmouth isn't that, but is actually using the dice positions as the map, that's cool also.

Attached is a photo of the human target sheet and transparent scope reticle sheet from the FGU game Merc.
It's been a long time since I looked at it but I believe as a sniper you had the option to move that transparency around a target to specify where you are aiming. Then you roll 2d6 and subtract/add any modifiers. You want low to hit the center.
You should notice there are two reticles one large and one small. There's also a sheet with various vehicles in profile.

Attachments

• PXL_20201120_203356275-01.jpeg
    PXL_20201120_203356275-01.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 0
Yeah, Milennium's End by Chameleon Eclectic used a variation on that.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back