Root: Marauder Expansion Kickstarter

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Skywalker

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
The next (3rd) expansion for Root is out with two new factions and a new mechanic - hirelings. Hirelings are like mini-automated factions that are great for low player counts and also adding a comeback mechanic.

My local boardgame shop has this in stock, should I pull the trigger?

My local boardgame shop has this in stock, should I pull the trigger?
Yes. Root is a very good boardgame. You do need people who will replay the same game multiple times though or it will be frustrating. Each faction is very different and you do need to understand what they play like to play effectively against them. Some like the Vagabond faction take coordinated effort to stop which doesn't advance you while doing it. People playing really need to know what's happening or someone can run away with the game. I don't say it to scare you but it's much better for all involved if people are willing to invest some time into learning the game on a more than light level.

Root is one of my groups top 5 games.

Its a great game, though the assymetrical nature can be a hurdle for some people. The factions can take some getting used to and I have seen people often blame the game when they lose. As such, it works best if the following applies:

1. You play with 3 to 4 players.
2. The same group regularly plays the same game.
3. Group enjoys competition but not at the sacrifice of everything else (narration, variety, challenge etc).

I have bought everything for Root (including the RPG), so there's truth in that. I have resisted other Leder Games games though :smile:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back