RPG settings that really fascinate you, even if you will probably never run them

Oh, I really enjoy my smartphone. I just don't like making phone calls.

And concerning my work, I just don't want them to assume they can reach me anytime anywhere. They'll have to phone me at home and see if I'm home or feel like picking up, or try reaching me by email. It works miracles on requests for working extra hours, which I hardly get anymore.

giphy.gif

I remember at one time, I was moving and one of the places I was looking at was right across from the complex where I was contracting. I immediately told the realtor, lets move on, sight unseen. Because if I was across the street, it would be implied that I was the closest for calls where someone had to go in.

I remember at one time, I was moving and one of the places I was looking at was right across from the complex where I was contracting. I immediately told the realtor, lets move on, sight unseen. Because if I was across the street, it would be implied that I was the closest for calls where someone had to go in.

before I bought my house I lived directly across the street from the office. Too much traffic to walk but I had no excuses when it snowed or iced over.

And concerning my work, I just don't want them to assume they can reach me anytime anywhere. They'll have to phone me at home and see if I'm home or feel like picking up, or try reaching me by email. It works miracles on requests for working extra hours, which I hardly get anymore.
I'm shocked the company didn't just give you a cell phone.

They tried to get me one. I demurred enough that they gave in. Passive resistance is something I practice. Like when they wanted to send me to India again, I passively resisted by saying that I had some family things and could only go for a week.

The last connection the nanobot bodied transhumans of Neo-Sophia 2020 have to their former humanity.
:grin:
You caught me there:thumbsup:!
I do this too. :grin:
Copycat:shade:!

I get that, man. But don't tell me you're taking seriously a post where I claim as a merit playing RPGs...while posting on the RPG Pub:tongue:?

Pens? You newfangled types. Quill and ink is the real RPG experience.
Quill and ink? Heh, when I was starting to play we only had charcoal and the bark of trees to write on! And we had to make the charcoal by burning up the rest of the tree!

Intimidating:shock:? I'll never understand that idea about Eclipse Phase, though you're not the first to express it!
IME, at least the first edition is about as complicated as Unknown Armies 2e with defined skills, different weapons with their own damage rolls, a simplified mental stability system and a meta-resource (called "mojo" or something). Because that's what it is, in a nutshell...:thumbsup:
I'll clarify then - the system looks fairly straightforward to run, but character creation is intimidating. If I was going to run it, I'd probably tell my players to just tell me about their character and I'll crunch the numbers for all of them.
You're outludditing me:shade:?
Challenge aacepted:thumbsup:!

And I can do one better...

I also play some RPGs with analog technologies like dice, books, pens and paper:devil:!
Bah. I specifically wrote an RPG I could play with only my fingers! And not even very many of those!

It's low-skilled work. I don't need a phone for work. They tend to call you to ask if you can start working earlier when it's busy or, more common, when they're suffering from one of their baseless panic attacks. As long as they don't know I have a cell phone they'll assume I'm not home if I don't pick up. They have actually given up on trying to reach me by phone and usually send me an email now. I'm much better at saying no by email. Also, since there's no obligation to check your mail and reply at all, I sometimes just don't bother responding. Last time I responded I mailed that starting earlier didn't fit in with the current schedule of our household anymore. I haven't been asked again since then...

Now that we're forced to wear mouthmasks at work I am going to refuse all requests to work extra hours. Better to spend as little time as possible in a false security environment.

They tried to get me one. I demurred enough that they gave in. Passive resistance is something I practice. Like when they wanted to send me to India again, I passively resisted by saying that I had some family things and could only go for a week.
I haven't thought of a way to passively resist the obligatory wearing of mouthmasks yet...

Tenchi Muyo

AngelaWhite 01r.jpg

One of the first anime series I loved, a great setting for an RPG with plenty of hooks for characters and adventures, moreover I think the Guardians of Order RPG is easily one of the best presentations of an IP in a licensed game and the best iteration of the BESM system, which was once one of my favourite systems.

But very unlikely I'd ever find a gaming group for this. My generation didn't take to anime the same way as the ones after it, and my particular group is not the kind to respond well to a pitch of "a comedy sci-fi romance that mixes Star Wars with Teenagers from Outer Space"

Tenchi Muyo

View attachment 22908

One of the first anime series I loved, a great setting for an RPG with plenty of hooks for characters and adventures, moreover I think the Guardians of Order RPG is easily one of the best presentations of an IP in a licensed game and the best iteration of the BESM system, which was once one of my favourite systems.

But very unlikely I'd ever find a gaming group for this. My generation didn't take to anime the same way as the ones after it, and my particular group is not the kind to respond well to a pitch of "a comedy sci-fi romance that mixes Star Wars with Teenagers from Outer Space"
Well, it sounds ridiculous in a good way, so...good luck finding a group for it:smile:!

I'll clarify then - the system looks fairly straightforward to run, but character creation is intimidating. If I was going to run it, I'd probably tell my players to just tell me about their character and I'll crunch the numbers for all of them.
Yes, it takes a while to make a character:wink:.
I suspect this might be part of the reason why dying in the setting is so damn hard:shade:!

Bah. I specifically wrote an RPG I could play with only my fingers! And not even very many of those!
It would make you the superior luddite if it existed in a non-electronic form:devil:!

I suspect this might be part of the reason why dying in the setting is so damn hard:shade:!
That'll suit my group, who like to cultivate their characters like a prize rose bush.

I'd love to run EP, but we've just come off a Shadowrun campaign and I suspect there's too many points of similarity to from one to the other.

I'm also feeling the urge to go back to Genius: the Transgression for some lighthearted gonzo fun, and that urge is a little stronger.

It would make you the superior luddite if it existed in a non-electronic form:devil:!
Well obviously the actual game is chiselled into a set of standing stones I raised in my yard!
And I had to walk ten miles in the snow, uphill both ways, to fetch 'em from t'quarry...

That'll suit my group, who like to cultivate their characters like a prize rose bush.
One of the authors had mentioned something similar on TBP. So yes, you seem a natural fit:grin:!

Well obviously the actual game is chiselled into a set of standing stones I raised in my yard!
And I had to walk ten miles in the snow, uphill both ways, to fetch 'em from t'quarry...
Pfft, you have stone quarries at only 10 miles? You lucky bastards! We had to write in the sand before we discovered, so of course we had to opt for high-lethality systems, because your character sheet never survived the first rain:tongue:!

Hm. Tekumel's been on my list for decades, of course, but if I were to start over ... I think I'd use one of Lois McMasters Bujold's settings: either the Sharing Knife milieu or her World of Five Gods. Both are excellent and fuel for much thought.

Hm. Tekumel's been on my list for decades, of course, but if I were to start over ... I think I'd use one of Lois McMasters Bujold's settings: either the Sharing Knife milieu or her World of Five Gods. Both are excellent and fuel for much thought.

I'd like to see a World of Five Gods RPG. As far as I know, the only one of Bujold's setting to be gamified is the Vorkosigan universe, and that for GURPS.

No one wants to play Night Witches with me. The setting: All female Russian WWII biplane pilots.

Night-Witches-kickstarter.jpg

I tried it at a convention a few years back and loved it. I printed out custom cards and handouts for it, and preached about it to anyone who'd listen, but only got "MEH". Maybe my enthusiasm was annoying.

I found it compelling and intense. Sure, it's a SUPER focused game, but what it does I felt it did right. A perfect implementation of the Apocalypse World engine, in my humble opinion.

Official game site

No one wants to play Night Witches with me. The setting: All female Russian WWII biplane pilots.

View attachment 23020

I tried it at a convention a few years back and loved it. I printed out custom cards and handouts for it, and preached about it to anyone who'd listen, but only got "MEH". Maybe my enthusiasm was annoying.

I found it compelling and intense. Sure, it's a SUPER focused game, but what it does I felt it did right. A perfect implementation of the Apocalypse World engine, in my humble opinion.

Official game site
Can't abide Apocalypse World myself, but if you need some inspiration or to sell the setting to your friends, Sabaton just put out a cool video on the Night Witches yesterday.

Can't abide Apocalypse World myself, but if you need some inspiration or to sell the setting to your friends, Sabaton just put out a cool video on the Night Witches yesterday.
Thank you for the video link. That was awesome (I already knew a bit about the Night Witches, thanks to a couple of Garth Ennis mini-series from a few years back).

Last edited:
Wow I have a lot of the games in this thread. Most of them have survived, my rpg book purges throughout the years.

Skyrealms of Jorune: I ran a game of this back in the day. Don't remember of it, other than the combat mechanics being a bit cumbersome. Also, I hadn't fully understood the setting. This resulted in one of the player's, who had borrowed my book to read, corrected the fact that humans could not just eat the native food. We all had a laugh about that.

Mechanical Dream: I had to read the setting part of this, a coupe of times, before fully grasping it. Skywalker Skywalker I have the stuff you wrote for this game, and it was a good help, when a ran a short campaign of this game. So thank you.

Eclipse Phase: I have the 1e of this. Couldn't make sense of the character creation system, so just gave up.

Kult: Divinity Lost: I have some very personal gripes about this game. I suffer from schizophrenia, and therefore I don't like how that illness is used in this game. Further the way the setting is described, is very eerily similar to the various hallucinations and delusions I suffer from. Therefore I don't find it particularly enticing to either run or play this game.

One setting/game I have and find interesting but never played is this:

1602519884857.png

One setting/game I have and find interesting but never played is this:

View attachment 23197

Did you know that the Scottish rpg/game company Handiwork Games is working on a new edition of aIstate?

The company is ran by the great fantasy artist Jon Hodgson (of TOR, AIME and Beyond the Wall).

Did you know that the Scottish rpg/game company Handiwork Games is working on a new edition of aIstate?

The company is ran by the great fantasy artist Jon Hodgson (of TOR, AIME and Beyond the Wall).

No didn't knows that. The rules for this 2E seems based on Forged in the Dark, which is generic version of Blades in the Dark.

Even though I'm not a big fan of PBtA games, I do find the BitD an interesting game. This is only based on reading the rules though.

Will definitely follow this, so thanks.

No didn't knows that. The rules for this 2E seems based on Forged in the Dark, which is generic version of Blades in the Dark.

Even though I'm not a big fan of PBtA games, I do find the BitD an interesting game. This is only based on reading the rules though.

Will definitely follow this, so thanks.

We're running a PbP game of the Forged in the Dark game Scum and Villany and I'm quite enjoying the system. Just the right mix of lightness and crunch for me.

I like historical gaming, and in particular historical gaming where the myth and magic that people of the time believed in is actually real. Strangely this seems to be a genre even less popular than straight historical gaming.

"Tis NOT a werewolf! He wears a mask!"
"Squire Jenkins???"
"And I wouldst hath done it, 'twere you not for you meddling childer!"

I like historical gaming, and in particular historical gaming where the myth and magic that people of the time believed in is actually real. Strangely this seems to be a genre even less popular than straight historical gaming.
I usually prefer historical fantasy, meaning I like the culturally and historically appropriate myth and magic to be actually real. A notable exception would be westerns, which I prefer straight. Though it doesn't have to be strictly historical, I don't like alternate timeline stuff.

Last edited:
Degenesis, i really want to read the setting but it is just time really.
Have same problem with DnD stuff - too much setting detail. I just need bare bones.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back