RPG wish: Ill show you mine and you show me yours

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Have you tried Polar Fudge? Brainchild of our very own PolarBlues PolarBlues ? It's excellent. We played a session just recently and it went marvelously.
Thanks! I hope to run another Pub One Shot before long.

As it were, The Convenient Skill The Convenient Skill, go back a while in that loose, modern, Internet persona sort of way, Fudge circles being a fairly narrow affair.

I just thought of another RPG wish.

That all of the MeWe, Discord, Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, forums etc for various individual games were consolidated into one format. So Fudge, MiniSix/D6, Flashing Blades, or Everywhen for instance had only one central repository of new knowledge, ideas, links to blogs etc.

That would stop the fracturing of those games into smaller enclaves, and make them more vibrant, viable to new players and provide ongoing support, encouragement and advertisement for players and creators.

I just thought of another RPG wish.

That all of the MeWe, Discord, Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, forums etc for various individual games were consolidated into one format. So Fudge, MiniSix/D6, Flashing Blades, or Everywhen for instance had only one central repository of new knowledge, ideas, links to blogs etc.

That would stop the fracturing of those games into smaller enclaves, and make them more vibrant, viable to new players and provide ongoing support, encouragement and advertisement for players and creators.

That was what RSS was supposed to do.

Even worse.

"Noooo, stop injecting YOUR anti-social psycho-sexual problems into games we wrote about OUR anti-social psycho-sexual problems! You know what, we're writing the next edition with intrusive rules to stop you from doing that!"

MY psycho-sexual problems, Mr. two-succubus?
We'll be closing that loophole in 4th edition. Pervert.

Last edited:
The Green Lantern Corps RPG. There are a lot of really nice superhero RPGs out there that can model a single Green Lantern very nicely-- but I want a game that can model 4-6 different lanterns (from the same and/or different corps) in a satisfying way over the course of a full-length campaign.

Otherwise, there's just a whole lot of types of game that already exist... that I just want more of.
Have you looked at Blazon? It's not GL proper but it aims for that feel.

The original four (dralasite, vrusk, yazirian, sathar).

Superior to the typical "rubber-forehead alien", They were just strange enough to be interesting, but not so strange as to be difficult to play. They covered a good range of archetypes, had a Star Wars vibe without being Star Wars, and made for a tight little set. Future expansions added pointless aliens, so I forget about them.
How do you feel 'ape-bats that fly" (think gorrillas), Slimes with stretchiness somewhere between Dralasite and the Herculoids, Mantis-ant aliens? (or maybe spiders) cousins you might say to Star Frontiers?

MY psycho-sexual problems, Mr. two-succubus?
We'll be closing that loophole in 4th edition. Pervert.

Hey, I don't want any succubi, I was just criticizing your poor min-maxing skills! If you're going to trade in a soul, you should at least know what it's worth... or are you one of those innumerate art-school dropouts who thinks loudly sneering at "roll-playing" is enough cover for your lack of playtesting? :tongue:

How do you feel 'ape-bats that fly" (think gorrillas), Slimes with stretchiness somewhere between Dralasite and the Herculoids, Mantis-ant aliens? (or maybe spiders) cousins you might say to Star Frontiers?

I'm afraid this sentence is a little confusing.

I had a Crimson Skies setting for Warbirds all prepped and ready to go and my players said they didn't want to play pilots. "Oh. Okay then."

Have you given Warbirds a look?
Just working on a variant cover for the deluxe limited edition #1 of one copy of Warbirds I 'ordered' (okay, home printed and bound) the other day.

Standard or wrap around ultra limited edition nicked off the internet picture of Crimson Skies fanart edition?

1653646301269.jpg

Might still tweak/alter the cover as the title/blurb on the back were a bit of a guesstimate. Need to get the ruler out and try again. Also get the A3 printer up and running, that would make my life soooooo much easier.

The book itself is a bit of a tome with extra thick nice paper and thick (3mm greyboard) hardback cover. Also trying a new technique that requires me to have one less hand than the usual three to put this stuff together...

That reminds me to buy another gallon/vat/drum of PVA glue. Go through this stuff like crazy.

I desire for...

...Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies to get a revised edition, primarily to increase its production values and ditch the stock art.

...Old School Essentials to actually deliver on its promise to do multiple genre treatments. It was actually my primary reason for backing it in the first place.

...a well done Fudge line with genre & setting treatments not unlike those coming out for Broken Compass lately. Fate does not count.

...both Ubiquity & PDQ to get a space opera game.

...a 1930's era pulp treatment (with minor hints of fantasy) done with Traveller (because I know it can be done).

There are a few times where I think this has worked out: Torg Eternity and Space 1889 are much improved with their new rulesets.

Rifts Savage World ruleset is a big improvement as well.

I also think the later rulesets for Paranoia are superior to the original ruleset.

I do wish the Top Secret reboot though had taken more from the underrated and still quite playable Top Secret S.I. ruleset.

My main wish would be an anniversary reissue of Ghostbusters. I was hoping Afterlife would be a big enough hit for this to be considered but it seems to have come and gone without a trace.

A good ruleset to play 60s and 70s New Wave sf would be awesome. There are a few games out there that touch on it, the incomplete Left Coast which is very PKD-inspired and another whose name escapes me right now because it is so generically titled and the artwork is so-so.

The sf game I couldn't recall is Daytrippers.

I think there are two options for the Huns. 1. Turn them into Magyars and keep the original geography. 2. Turn them into Seljuks and extend the Burgundians’ journey so as to follow Barbarossa’s route into Anatolia.
Personally I'd incline more to option 1, but 2 could be interesting as well.

All of this reminds me of another gaming wish: that Nocturnal would put out a Pendragon SRD, or alternatively just a stripped-down version (ala Mythras Imperative) with the basic rules and systems of the game. This would make it easier to have supplements based on other similar bodies of heroic literature--like the Byzantine Digenes Akritas, the Nibelungenlied, Beowulf, the medieval Alexander Romances, or for that matter the Iliad/Odyssey or a 'heroic early Roma ala Livy.' The supplements could concentrate on the setting and whatever tweaks to the rules or new systems are needed to fit it, rather than also reproducing the basic rules of game (as Paladin does).

Personally I'd incline more to option 1, but 2 could be interesting as well.

All of this reminds me of another gaming wish: that Nocturnal would put out a Pendragon SRD, or alternatively just a stripped-down version (ala Mythras Imperative) with the basic rules and systems of the game. This would make it easier to have supplements based on other similar bodies of heroic literature--like the Byzantine Digenes Akritas, the Nibelungenlied, Beowulf, the medieval Alexander Romances, or for that matter the Iliad/Odyssey or a 'heroic early Roma ala Livy.' The supplements could concentrate on the setting and whatever tweaks to the rules or new systems are needed to fit it, rather than also reproducing the basic rules of game (as Paladin does).
Yep, that makes sense.

A SRD would be a huge boon. I must admit, however, that the more I’ve dug into Pendragon, the less I care for it. That’s especially true for the Nocturnal version which seems overproduced. I’d much prefer the supplements you mention for BRP.

Going back to the Nibelunglied, and taking its date of composition to be c. AD 1200, were you specifically thinking of an eleventh century setting rather than twelfth century?

...Old School Essentials to actually deliver on its promise to do multiple genre treatments. It was actually my primary reason for backing it in the first place.
That's coming after he gets done with Dolmenwood, which was the whole reason he made OSE in the first place. I'm on his Patreon, and shares the current version there. It's very close to done at this point, so the genre books should start coming after that.

I'm afraid this sentence is a little confusing.
Well I'm working on a clone to a certian system but I don't own the IP, so it will need to be changed while trying to keep the spirit (understand this art I've taken online and I'm getting artists to work on it as I can. I do need artists who can do concept art so if you know any good ones let me know.

"Bat apes" think the sketch but with wings form of extra fingers on the front hands, two ears (not four) and no eyes, from a dark world--ape family+gliding/flying the Taziri inspiration.

Attachments

• 276039879_10159967546502369_6901830790322539519_n.jpg
    276039879_10159967546502369_6901830790322539519_n.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 4
  • ArtBATAPEINSPIR.jpg
    ArtBATAPEINSPIR.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 4
  • original_fanmade_ben_10_alien__bloodbat__by_misakalovesyou_da3iqyc-fullview.jpg
    original_fanmade_ben_10_alien__bloodbat__by_misakalovesyou_da3iqyc-fullview.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 4
Others:

Attachments

• 91b011b65faf19bb9a8dfd9b56827c6d.jpg
    91b011b65faf19bb9a8dfd9b56827c6d.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 3
  • e88ff0f7877d4242fd9a2eeb96da2823.jpg
    e88ff0f7877d4242fd9a2eeb96da2823.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 245192652_419444479771291_4319222576975053666_n.jpg
    245192652_419444479771291_4319222576975053666_n.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Nepharite.jpg
    Nepharite.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 3
I may swap the mantis for more spider-taurs? But I like my own spider-peeps:

Attachments

• arachnid_alien_by_silverlion_d6gfae2-350t.jpg
    arachnid_alien_by_silverlion_d6gfae2-350t.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 3
Just working on a variant cover for the deluxe limited edition #1 of one copy of Warbirds I 'ordered' (okay, home printed and bound) the other day.

Standard or wrap around ultra limited edition nicked off the internet picture of Crimson Skies fanart edition?

1653646301269.jpg

Might still tweak/alter the cover as the title/blurb on the back were a bit of a guesstimate. Need to get the ruler out and try again. Also get the A3 printer up and running, that would make my life soooooo much easier.

The book itself is a bit of a tome with extra thick nice paper and thick (3mm greyboard) hardback cover. Also trying a new technique that requires me to have one less hand than the usual three to put this stuff together...

That reminds me to buy another gallon/vat/drum of PVA glue. Go through this stuff like crazy.
I like the dieselpunk X-wing.

I desire for...

...Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies to get a revised edition, primarily to increase its production values and ditch the stock art.

...a well done Fudge line with genre & setting treatments not unlike those coming out for Broken Compass lately. Fate does not count.

...both Ubiquity & PDQ to get a space opera game.

...a 1930's era pulp treatment (with minor hints of fantasy) done with Traveller (because I know it can be done).
You're in luck. Search for "Thrill of the Thirties" on Drivethru:thumbsup:.

A new RPG about the Amber epic from Zelazny, with :

- a proper system, meaning with dices
- a roster of the Princes and Princesses from the books AND a completely new gallery of characters, super interesting and integrated with the books' characters
- a new enemy, besides Chaos, for the players to confront
- an introductory module which kicks ass
- a campaign of 6/7 episodes to follow the introductory module
- gorgeous art, of course ! because... TRUMPS !, man ! Need I say more ?
- a masterful essay and guidelines for Game Masters about clever and meaningful ways to deliver thrills and adventures at the table for demi(?)-gods characters that can range and frolic in the whole of creation.

He, you asked me what I wished for :grin: !

I desire...
... A treatment of the Hyborian age using TFT as the core system
... A treatment of middle earth using original Pendragon as the core system
... Another wave of original Runequest revival that yields a few original-edition-compatible boxed sets
... A true megadungeon for TFT
... Expansion sets for original Behind Enemy Lines that deal with the Pacific, Eastern front, etc.
... A Nepoleonic-era game with breadth of vision and exciting themes

Something that mixes 'atomic horror' with the sort of mid-century scifi featuring plucky engineers and their fabulous machines (The Roads Must Roll).
Probably focused on some sort of 'Science Patrol' that investigates strange occurences... with a secret base, some gigantic superscience, alien artifacts, and lots of pep! A sort of atom-age Thunderbirds/Captain Scarlett versus kaiju and residual mad Nazi scientists... with maybe a touch of superheroes (victims of cosmic rays and alien experimentation).

There's an alternate campaign featuring clean-cut 50s youths sucked into a post-apocalyptic parallel reality... via some alien invation/artifact... bringing back ultra-tech to their own Earth prime... so an atom-age Fringeworthy sort of thing.

The rulebook would be peppered with exuberant ads for Radium cigarettes, whisky, and various 'atomic' household devices.

My wish list: A sci-fi game that does pretty much what the one I'm evolving now does.
  • Fairly anarchic universe - largely based around a party of adventurers with a fair amount of agency.
  • Some alien races - designed to be playable.
  • Psionic or 'force' abilities - somewhere between Traveller and Star Wars, but not Starfinder style Space D&D.
  • Blasterpunk technology - I made a word, I think.
  • Small, inexplicably cheap to run starships.
  • No Dis third party IP baggage.
You just described the Spacemaster Privateers setting. The Interstellar Confederation is losing their second war with the Jeronian Empire after a short peace that allowed the Jeronians to steal the technology they didn't have. In response, the ISC starts handing out letters of marque and a mark ten laser to any one who's got a ship.

You just described the Spacemaster Privateers setting. The Interstellar Confederation is losing their second war with the Jeronian Empire after a short peace that allowed the Jeronians to steal the technology they didn't have. In response, the ISC starts handing out letters of marque and a mark ten laser to any one who's got a ship.

I used to have Spacemaster (in fact my dad used to have a Standard Vanguard Space Master) and if you squint and hold your head just right you can see the influences on my current work.

Privateers is an entirely different setting than second edition's empire. It has animal people because they wanted the races to be easy to pick up and play. The Jeronian Empire was ruled by the Falar (lion guys) who are very predatory and war like by nature ("If god hadn't meant us to fight she wouldn't have made us perfect.") but a recent coup by the previously pacifist, vegetarian Kagoth (bear guys) turned to a quick and bloody war. The tech is pretty advanced with shields, reactionless thrusters, and zero-point energy and blasters are the dominant weapon.

Last edited:
My RPG wish would be for Warhammer Fantasy RolePlay to get a complete OSR overhaul. And by that I mean an epic trimming down of the rules and a reformatting / new layout of the fluff and adventures.

I kinda did that :grin: (because I wanted an OSR ruleset to run the Enemy Within campaign, the one for the 3rd edition of the game).

384686.jpg

I'd like to have Earthdawn with another ruleset (Age of Legend is a bit too Earthdawn for dummies for my tastes).

A mix of Gangbusters and Ironsworn. Solo gangster/cop killing for the win.

A sort of atom-age Thunderbirds/Captain Scarlett versus kaiju and residual mad Nazi scientists...

This sort of reminded me of another RPG wish - a UFO/XCOM game that manages to strike that fine balance between incorporating the research/base elements but without going so far to replicate XCOM so hard that the rules become an unusable nightmare (Contact, I'm side-eyeing you). It would be a tricky balance to work out - the writers would have to remember that RPG systems are run by people, not computers.

Maybe have the players each control a heroic solider PC and a few mook soldier NPCs but also each get a say in the overall organization control in a between-missions Base phase, like Mutant: Year Zero's Ark. To replicate the feel, you need to start overwhelmed but eventually research, build, and equip you soldiers with captured alien (or alien-derived) tech to better level the playing field. The GM would need rules to run a secret Doom Tracker to escalate stages of the invasion keyed on how well (or not) the player org is doing.

Bonus points if the game is designed in such a way that suppliments could be produced as modules you could swap in to replace the alien invaders with other escalating paranormal threats, such as the Mythos, ghosts, demons, a global conspiracy, or even other sets of aliens, all with their own tech to capture for research and their own Doom Tracker to drive a campaign.

Gave it some thought and turns out I have quite the list!

I filed some of these under “stuff I’d write myself if I was wealthy beyond mundane concerns for sustenance”. Ranked more or less in order of how badly I want each.

A WFRP2 retro-clone including a few choice innovations from Zweihänder and WFRP4, but with a strong WFRP1 aesthetic, and a 40K (1st edition, 1980s Rogue Trader) inspired SF supplement.

A Cthulhu ruleset using a seriously pared down Mythras as a basis, with the Tenacity system, and the 1920s core setting, churning out PCs at classic CoC levels of ability and competence while still allowing for appropriately lethal pulp derring-do.

A Traveller ruleset that uses Classic, Mongoose and/or Cepheus as a basis but is as complete and features the same breadth and depth of subsystems as T5.

Formal and complete Mythras conversions for Conan, Tékumel, Dark Sun, ASoIaF (with variant MRQII Empires rules for house and fief management) and the classic SW third party setting, Totems of the Dead.

More Mythic Earth settings for Mythras. Warring States China. Thirty Years’ War Germany.

An edition of ACKS with Heroic Fantasy Companion classes and casting as default, and extended consequences for failed casting. (I love you DCC but creating new spells and patrons for you is a frickin’ nightmare.)

Ravenloft: Masque of Red Death for D&D5.

Savage Worlds conversions for Warcraft/WoW and Unhallowed Metropolis.

A decently crunchy but not unwieldly unarmed martial arts system for Savage Worlds so I can get a Ninjas & Superspies, Street Fighter or Bloodsport game going on.

A streamlined retro-clone of MEGS DC Heroes 3rd complete with a serial-numbers-filed-off “Who’s Who” catalogue of superheroes and supervillains. (Why doesn’t every supers RPG have one?)

People mentioning mentioning a streamlined set of Mecha rules that works in and out of the titular vehicles is an itch I didn't really know I had but sign me up now!

Others:

1) I'd love a non-diceless game for Amber and/or LoGaS that scales and has been designed for those multiversal type of games. It would have to hit a very sweet spot regarding the system mechanics for me (not too handwaivy but also not heavy either) and would come with a plethora of optional ideas and philosophies behind the powers and cosmology that you could build your own campaign from. And great artwork too.

2) An Exalted system that works. All of them are too bloated, even that latest revised one they're doing/done, and I have Godbound but it just isn't Exalted. Again, it's the mechanics that are critical so it would need to be balanced with rules for playing different Exalts within the same PC circle, would need to scale across differing power levels, and would absolutely be able to produce mechanically interesting antagonists quickly and easily. It would also need to cut back on the amount of exception-based mechanics too but still retain the usage of Charms and spells, etc.

I'm sure there are others but its those two aswell as the Mech one that spring to mind.

Last edited:
A streamlined retro-clone of MEGS DC Heroes 3rd complete with a serial-numbers-filed-off “Who’s Who” catalogue of superheroes and supervillains. (Why doesn’t every supers RPG have one?)

Pretty much what I've been running for years. (Since about 2013 or 14 I think, maybe sooner. We switched from Golden Heroes to DC Heroes 3e/Blood of Heroes SE (same thing, better rules shitty art but 3e wasn't much to write home about either).

Acting Value + 2D12 vs
Opposing Value + 2D12

If acting value is equal to or higher than opposing value, you have a success (of some kind). Look on the red column with the difference. Apply that to Effect Value.

Effect Value - Resistance Value = Result APs

The number in the red column also counts as column shifts for knockback.

Hero points work different. You buy extra D12s. The original two dice you roll will fail if you roll 3 or less now (as opposed to 2 on 2D10).

This does away with the table, the 'I have many more HP therefore I will outbid you and win at pretty much everything', no column shifts etc. It makes things faster. Like, seconds to figure out RAPs. Most of the time I don't bother looking anything up, just type. The main thing is that - effectively - every AP is it's own column and does away with the criticism of 'characters looking the same' or effectively being the same when they operate on the same column. After all, each AP is supposed to double the last amount so someone with 4 Dex should be better than someone with 3 Dex.

Example:

Sun Girl is a good guy NPC (450HP) whereas Blood Diamond is a bad guy and way out of SG's league (1350HP). Still, the plucky heroine isn't going to let that stop her!

No hero points are being used!

GM: Sun Girl swoops about over the street. There are cars everywhere and people running/screaming/pointing phones and the heroine looks to that direction. The jewellery store is missing its front and glass is everywhere. An alarm is ringing out but because of the gridlock traffic and fender benders the cops will be minutes away.

Sun Girl (SG): I float down to around fifteen feet off the floor at a distance where I can look inside. Do I see any sign of who did this?

GM: No perception check required! The villain of the piece is a seven foot tall guy almost as wide and built like a pro wrestler with deep red skin which clearly isn't natural. His back is to you and he's CRISHING glass to get at jewellery and anything that looks valuable for a quick score. There are shop assistants on the floor curled up and covering themselves with their arms. A guy in a suit is lying at a funny angle on his face against a wall.

SG: This isn't good! I can't fire in case those bystanders are hit! I yell out "Hey! Red goon! You want something bright and sparkly, how about me?". I hope he'll turn around, and when he does, I use my FLASH power on him!

GM: The 'Red Goon' does indeed turn about, and he sneers. "Go away kid. You ain't in my league. few are. No one has ta get hurt. I just need ready cash." Rolls 1D12 each for initiative... 2d12+0 5 Sun Girl (23),1Blood Diamond (22). You act first!

SG: I Flash zap him, and because I need to zap him good, I'll go for a critical blow! (Rolls Dice) 2d12+0 5,10+0 = 15 + AV15 (Flash)= 30!

GM: No burnout this time!

SG: Groan. Yeah, that dampened my spirits last time. Hope my luck holds out!

GM: Rolls dice 2d12+0 3,4+0 = 7 + AV9 (Dex)=16. You tried a Crit Blow. That's +4 to Opposing Value. Total is 20. (looks on red column) Your total of 30 minus Blood Diamonds' 20 is 10 points. That's +4 Effect. Your effect of 15 +4 is 19 less Blood Diamonds' Dex of 9 which is reduced further by -6 because of the Crit Blow... 19 minus 3=16 RAPs! Blood Diamond is blinded and reduced to 0 Dex for 16 phases (just over a minute). He cries out and starts flailing about! Energy Absorption doesn't reduce this because it's not damage as such, and another power (Shade) would be need to protect from your sun like blazing light! However you see he's getting closer to the petrified store workers...

SG: Eeep! I bet this guy weighs more than a truck! I shout "Quick! Get out of there! He can't see!"

GM: They don't need telling twice and scramble to their feet as the blinded villain crashes about, sending a display stand flying! One of the workers, a lady in a suit, turns. "But what about Mr Carruthers?" she cries. She must be referring to the guy lying weird against the wall, face down. He might be in a bad way. Currently Blood Diamond is blocking you from getting to him!

SG: I can't blind him any more than he is, and if I miss or can't get through his hide with my blast I might hit the Carruthers guy! Uh oh! Time to get up close and - I hope - not personal! I hover into the store and land gently then try to make my way around the villain to get at the downed guy...

GM: Perception check for the bad guy as you land on broken glass... Int 5 plus 2d12+0 5,11+0 = 16 (21) vs Dex 8 - Modifier (standing on broken glass - it's unavoidable) 4 + 2d12+0 1,5+0 = 6 (10). That's 11 points difference. Will 5 + 5 (EV10) vs your Dex less modifier (8 - 4 for the glass) so 4 = 6 RAPs. The bad guy whirls about! He's looking right at Sun Girl and rubbing his eyes with one hand, raising a huge meaty fist with the other! "You think ya so clever, huh? I ain't some dumb brute ta beat up an' throw back in jail! I'm BLOOD DIAMOND, and you, lady, are about ta find out ya WAY outta your league!"

... and the battle continues!

Going back to the Nibelunglied, and taking its date of composition to be c. AD 1200, were you specifically thinking of an eleventh century setting rather than twelfth century?
To clarify, when I mentioned 11th-century I had in mind the details of social organization, technology, costume, etc. rather than anything else. The poem as we have it was probably composed ca. 1200, but IMO looks backward to earlier heroic literature rather than to contemporary chivalric romance--the contrast with the roughly contemporaneous Parzival is striking. So a slightly 'archaic' setting in terms of the types of castles, armor, legal codes, etc. makes sense to me, though one could use the H.R.E. in the late 12th century perfectly well. I think a slightly archaic setting also allows for the incorporation of material from the Norse material, like Thidreks Saga, more easily.

I have been pondering this all week. At one time I thought I had too many ideas. Then I realised I hadn't any.

And then I remembered Walker: Texas Ranger. I'd run and/or play the heck out of that. I know I could use pretty much any urban fantasy system (Mythras with After The Vampire Wars would be perfect) but I'd want an official version with a foreword by Chuck Norris, and a facsimile of his signature on the inside page.

To clarify, when I mentioned 11th-century I had in mind the details of social organization, technology, costume, etc. rather than anything else. The poem as we have it was probably composed ca. 1200, but IMO looks backward to earlier heroic literature rather than to contemporary chivalric romance--the contrast with the roughly contemporaneous Parzival is striking. So a slightly 'archaic' setting in terms of the types of castles, armor, legal codes, etc. makes sense to me, though one could use the H.R.E. in the late 12th century perfectly well. I think a slightly archaic setting also allows for the incorporation of material from the Norse material, like Thidreks Saga, more easily.
Yes, I think that is spot on.

I feel that would largely defeat the point of a mecha game, though. Really, what mecha fans want is to play angsty teens having epic battles in giant robots.

Change my mind.
So, Masks for the Teens and ...er....Battletech for the Mechs?

Thanks for the reference--I didn't know about that project. It looks very interesting!

It also reminds me of another of my RPG desiderata: a Pendragon game that it based on the Nibelungenleid rather than Arthurian Romance, with the 'real world' cultural background derived from 11th-century Germany.
I’ve had some unavoidable downtime so amused myself by having a go at this. Although system neutral it should plug-in to Paladin: Warriors of Charlemagne.

Last edited:
I like a lot of these rules-light punk games. But I'd like more lore from the creators + a few more simple rules that don't leave big gaps during play.

A.C.E. - Love the rules and concepts. But I'd like a lot more genre material in the extra books (as opposed to an adventure).

WFRP - I'd LOVE to see an amalgamation of 1e + 2e (the best from each essentially). I don't think 5e got this right (IMHO).

I'd really like to see some more from the dudes that did 'Beyond the Wall' and 'Through Sunken Lands' just because they do the coolest OSR stuff.

Terminator + Sla2 industries with a simplified system. And a rollback to SLA 1e lore and expanded.

I'd love to have seen the original Contested Ground Studios come back to do an A/State 2e (just expanding and refining the mechanics on the original).

I'd love to also see what the original Kult creators would do with another version of Kult.

What's the solution to these conundrums? Me having to write my own stuff. Not that it will be good per se, but it will be stuff that I'd want to play and run. :smile:

Last edited:
Now without illos.
Thanks for posting this--I'm looking forward to reading it.

It also gives me some impetus to get off my duff and start creating some of the things I wish were out there.

Reactions: SJB
2) An Exalted system that works. All of them are too bloated,

Well, there are the Two variant Qwixalted rules sets: Qwixalted-Jarvis, and Qwixalted-Daiklave

They are based on early Exalted quickstart rules, and then expanded out into "rules lite" version(s) of exalted.

You can still find them for free online.

WFRP - I'd LOVE to see an amalgamation of 1e + 2e (the best from each essentially). I don't think 4e got this right (IMHO).
A WFRP2 retro-clone including a few choice innovations from Zweihänder and WFRP4, but with a strong WFRP1 aesthetic, and a 40K (1st edition, 1980s Rogue Trader) inspired SF supplement.

Yes please. WFRP has been abused as a system. 4e really dropped the ball on this IMHO.

But hey, it has good art, so all is forgiven right?

Regarding Chaosium, I have a love/hate thing going on here. I love what they do, but IMO they have also made some unfortunate misteps as well.
Call of Cthulhu 7E should of kept core characteristics at their usual scope (3D6) like they are in every other BRP game.
RuneQuest: Adventures In Glorantha should have been continued using Mythras as per original plan!
MagicWorld should have been rebooted (perhaps under the title "Magick Wyrld') and have a dark fairy tale flavour setting

Magic World - the game that never was!

I think Chaosium has consistently missed the boat here. I also think it is subconsciously intentional as they are the RQ company, and they never really want to promote something that might get bigger than RQ...

I think the rules-medium crunch was a sweet spot for the BRP rues that is under exploited.

If wishes were fishes: Reboot MW, but name it after the new core setting. Take a page from the Swedish BRP offshoots and use a roll under d20, and ruthlessly cull the still overly long skill lists...

Setting: A cross between a Game of Thrones, The Witcher, and Lord of the Rings. With Brothers Grimm fairytale style lore. Much more humancentric and lower magic defaults than stock D&D; with the Grimm fairytale vibe replacing D&D's inherent gonzo feel.

I'd use the heroic HP option so PC's start with 20-30ish HP, use XP buys instead of skill checks, armor as straight DR like RQ, and custom tune a magic system to suit. I'd even divvy it up into 3 books, with a players guide available in a smaller softcover format.

They key would be support. At launch 2 adventures should be available alongside a cool starter set. For the adventures I'd adopt the old TSR adventure format of a 20-30 pg scenario with a cardstock cover that doubles as a map with updated production values. 3-4 adventures per year. 1 outright splat every 2, and one AP every 2 years. If they get the setting right there is growth potential there.

Of course in 20-20 hindsight they should have been doing all this back in 82', but of course RQ. And because of Chaosium's RQ fetish we will never ever see a version of MW rebooted the way it would need to be.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back