RPG wish: Ill show you mine and you show me yours

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Magic World - the game that never was!

I think the rules-medium crunch was a sweet spot for the BRP rues that is under exploited.

If wishes were fishes: Reboot MW, but name it after the new core setting. Take a page from the Swedish BRP offshoots and use a roll under d20, and ruthlessly cull the still overly long skill lists...

Setting: A cross between a Game of Thrones, The Witcher, and Lord of the Rings. With Brothers Grimm fairytale style lore. Much more humancentric and lower magic defaults than stock D&D; with the Grimm fairytale vibe replacing D&D's inherent gonzo feel.

I'd use the heroic HP option so PC's start with 20-30ish HP, use XP buys instead of skill checks, armor as straight DR like RQ, and custom tune a magic system to suit. I'd even divvy it up into 3 books, with a players guide available in a smaller softcover format.

They key would be support. At launch 2 adventures should be available alongside a cool starter set. For the adventures I'd adopt the old TSR adventure format of a 20-30 pg scenario with a cardstock cover that doubles as a map with updated production values. 3-4 adventures per year. 1 outright splat every 2, and one AP every 2 years. If they get the setting right there is growth potential there.
OMG!!! I agree with pretty much most of your post here, down to every almost word typed
(except changing the core mechanic to a D20, I still prefer percentile dice when it comes to describing ability chances and such).

Other than that, your post is very much the creative kind of game production, design, setting, and flavour that I would have loved to have seen with Magic World.
Great stuff !!! :shade:

Last edited:
My wishlist at the moment looks something like this:
  • Easy to use setting tools for Mythras. I love this game to bits, but the toolbox nature of the book almost makes me give up. I'd kill for a supplement of 101 fighting styles, 101 Brotherhoods, Cults and Schools. Preferably with lots of "generic" fantasy options. And the feeling that there are so many traps when making your own stuff (be careful with some spells! don't allow certain mystical powers!) is exhausting. I want someone to spell out what spell should be available at each level of initiation. I play Mythras to get away from D&D-like fantasy, but I'm almost considering using Classic Fantasy just because it is so much easier to run out of the box.
  • A modernized version of RuneQuest Glorantha. I had high hopes for this game, but I think the system was a big let down. I sometimes compare it to D&D editions. I'd love if RQ got the 5e treatment: simplification, modernization, focus on the core ideas and getting rid of a lot of baggage. In stead we got a dressed up version of AD&D (to continue the D&D analogue). RQ 2 was a good game for it's time, but I'd be embarrased to put this on the table for my players today. Even if it is very pretty.
  • Everywhen Babylon 5. I'd kill for a glossy, well written version of this game.

agree with pretty much most of your post here, down to every almost word typed
(except changing the core mechanic to a D20, I still prefer percentile dice when it comes to describing ability chances and such).

Looking at many BRP based games; they divide by 5 so much it is really a wonder that outside of pendragon d20 roll-under has not become a more popular mod outside of the Swedish offshoots.

I want Magic World to be given a proper line what a game it could have been.

I see it as a missed opportunity, especially since BRP has been so developed over time that a revised MW could bring the 'rules modularity' that 5e promised early on and backed out of during playtesting.

A MW version of a "GM's guild' could be a rules module central... Want to add hit locations to your game? - Boom! rules module #36! Siege rules, alternate magic systems, etc... the list goes on.

But that will never happen, because RQ.

A modernized version of RuneQuest Glorantha. I had high hopes for this game, but I think the system was a big let down. I sometimes compare it to D&D editions. I'd love if RQ got the 5e treatment: simplification, modernization, focus on the core ideas and getting rid of a lot of baggage. In stead we got a dressed up version of AD&D (to continue the D&D analogue). RQ 2 was a good game for it's time, but I'd be embarrased to put this on the table for my players today. Even if it is very pretty.

It is my understanding that they did that due to the success of the 2e kickstarter... They thought that was where the market was. Which is true in a way - the market for the nostalgia and collector fanbase.

(In my opinion too many game companies of classic RPG IP do not take into account, and differentiate the collector aspect of the hobby from their active and future potential player base. There is also the balance one needs to strike between keeping your established fans happy, and making needed changes to attract new players...)

So how is the RQ2 based RQG doing attracting new players? At least PF2 is getting some 5e players to give it a look out of sheer boredom with 5e after a milquetoast start.

In my opinion, Chaosium read the market signals wrong. A much more streamlined system more akin to MW with a much reduced skill list , but keeping hit locations - Might have been better for getting newbies to give it a look.

But hey, like WFRP 4e it has great art. So all is forgiven...

In my opinion, Chaosium read the market signals wrong. A much more streamlined system more akin to MW with a much reduced skill list , but keeping hit locations - Might have been better for getting newbies to give it a look.

But hey, like WFRP 4e it has great art. So all is forgiven...
Pretty much. A modern, updated RQG could be just the thing to cater to players growing bored with D&D (just like in the seventies), but this game won't do at all. I took a long, hard look at RQG last time I changed rules system for my campaign, and when I placed the character sheet next to the RQ6 sheet it illustrated clearly the difference between an modern game and a outdated game.

As for listening to market signals, I'm not convinced they even tried. Chaosium wrote this game for themselves and for their own players - and just assumed that what appeals to RQ2 grognards, appeals to everybody.

But enough bitching. Those who like RQ2 have gotten RQG, the rest of us have Mythras, OpenQuest and Magic World.

I think that’s the great thing, we live in the golden age of gaming where not only is there a deluge of new products constantly but we have greater access to the older products than ever before! If a game doesn’t appeal chances are an equivalent that does is out there.

Wishlist? Should I share mine from drivethru? I don't have a list for a specific game or games. If I do I usually make my own however what I'm wanting now? A rule medium boarding on the light end mecha game that let's you do some decent customization without too much math/crunch and easy/quick to play. A retroclone of MSH that doesn't add so much as to be incompatible with MSH modules. Not that I plan on using them, but I like the option to be there and I've seen so many attempts that go a bit overboard.

A fun sci fi-action game about space exploration, rules light-medium with cool not just elves/orcs o reskinned as species, or too many furries (Look, I may COUNT for all I know as a furry) but even I get tired of just uplift X and run with it! Give me something MORE!

Also Drivethru just because :grin:

Mecha are definitely tough, I think the lightest I like to go is something like The Mecha Hack, which is a great convention game, but since we played a lot of Battletech in high school and the Army (I’ve still got the original box set somewhere) I tend to like more detail. The problem of course is finding something that works well both in the Mech and out of it. I’d still love to do a Pendragon type generational game in the Battletech Universe, probably pre Clan invasion since I stopped buying stuff after that event started and I don’t know the current lore well enough to do it justice.

Yes please. WFRP has been abused as a system. 4e really dropped the ball on this IMHO.

But hey, it has good art, so all is forgiven right?

Yes and no. It's good art in the sense that it looks technically competent and done by a professional, but I think misses the tone.

If it wasn't for frequently showing that Mohawked dwarf, witch hunter and germanic houses it would look like dnd art. By that I mean the recurring characters look far too heroic for my taste.

Another thing that bothers me is that one would think the appeal with wfrp would be to not play a heroic character or class (like dnd and countless other fantasy rpgs), but rather some medieval schmoe. But the art doesn't reinforce this. It still pushes the more "heroic" careers.

Anyway. Art is subjective. I like the 4e art, I just don't love it.

Yes and no. It's good art in the sense that it looks technically competent and done by a professional, but I think misses the tone.

If it wasn't for frequently showing that Mohawked dwarf, witch hunter and germanic houses it would look like dnd art. By that I mean the recurring characters look far too heroic for my taste.

Another thing that bothers me is that one would think the appeal with wfrp would be to not play a heroic character or class (like dnd and countless other fantasy rpgs), but rather some medieval schmoe. But the art doesn't reinforce this. It still pushes the more "heroic" careers.

Anyway. Art is subjective. I like the 4e art, I just don't love it.
Art is super subjective, I often get into disagreements with folks because I feel the original art in Holmes, B/X and the AD&D 1E core books is way more evocative than modern D&D art and it is one of the reasons, along with the play examples, that I still feel the original B/X is superior (for me) to OSE.

Art is super subjective, I often get into disagreements with folks because I feel the original art in Holmes, B/X and the AD&D 1E core books is way more evocative than modern D&D art and it is one of the reasons, along with the play examples, that I still feel the original B/X is superior (for me) to OSE.
Seeing how I agree with you, we can conclude that art is not subjective but objective and our opinion is right!

Pretty much. A modern, updated RQG could be just the thing to cater to players growing bored with D&D (just like in the seventies), but this game won't do at all. I took a long, hard look at RQG last time I changed rules system for my campaign, and when I placed the character sheet next to the RQ6 sheet it illustrated clearly the difference between an modern game and a outdated game.

Well, for reasons outlined above I still think MW is the better vehicle for that.

But you are not wrong about the character sheets.

I had the same lament for the Witcher RPG that R.Tal put out. What a wasted opportunity...

As for listening to market signals, I'm not convinced they even tried. Chaosium wrote this game for themselves and for their own players - and just assumed that what appeals to RQ2 grognards, appeals to everybody.

Well that is a trap. Catering solely to hardcore fans has continuing diminishing returns. Just look at the current state of Hero and Grups...

And making the game you and you buddies play can end in disaster real quick; Look at 7th sea 2e...

But Chaosium is in a bit different place than those three. Because Call of Culthulu...

CoC is the bring home the bacon money-maker that allows Chaosium to delude themselves that there are thousands of people out there just waiting to play in the world of Glorantha...

One would be wrong.

Across all RPG media, the revealed preference is for players to play competent characters that contribute to group success.

One doesn't read William King and C.L. Werner and come away thinking,: "Yeah, that ratcatcher was a total badass..."

No. You want to be Brunner, or Felix, or heaven help us, Grotek.

More competent starting PC's is one of the few things 4e got right.

Agreed. Even when drawn with a lesser hand, I'll take art that is evocative and conveys a strong mood or emotion over a more technically proficient painted by the numbers spiky armored hero.

I know exactly what is on my wishlist!

- A VTT that is literally a VTT, where it's super easy to just drag and drop in a simple top down format. No combat rules or LOS or dynamic lighting...just maps and minis.
- AMSH (FASERIP) officially rereleased with stats for everything that came out from Marvel since it was discontinued. (I mean we're wishing, right?)
- A 1E SRD/OGL

My wishlist at the moment looks something like this:
  • Easy to use setting tools for Mythras. I love this game to bits, but the toolbox nature of the book almost makes me give up. I'd kill for a supplement of 101 fighting styles, 101 Brotherhoods, Cults and Schools. Preferably with lots of "generic" fantasy options. And the feeling that there are so many traps when making your own stuff (be careful with some spells! don't allow certain mystical powers!) is exhausting. I want someone to spell out what spell should be available at each level of initiation. I play Mythras to get away from D&D-like fantasy, but I'm almost considering using Classic Fantasy just because it is so much easier to run out of the box.

Mythras Classic Fantasy ticks alot of boxes here, it has the original AD&D flavour, yet the mechanics just make more sense.

• A modernized version of RuneQuest Glorantha. I had high hopes for this game, but I think the system was a big let down. I sometimes compare it to D&D editions. I'd love if RQ got the 5e treatment: simplification, modernization, focus on the core ideas and getting rid of a lot of baggage. In stead we got a dressed up version of AD&D (to continue the D&D analogue). RQ 2 was a good game for it's time, but I'd be embarrased to put this on the table for my players today. Even if it is very pretty.

Yeah I really wish RQG had used Mythras as a base and not RQ2.

The Gloranthan setting is really great in the current RQG edition, but the RQG character sheets are so cumbersome to look at, Chaosium totally missed the boat in this department.

Mythras Imperative would have been perfect for RQG. Especially the 3rd edition Mythras Imperative character sheet, (which is very trimmed down compared to the standard Mythras character sheet). RQ6/Mythras probably what I will use to run Glorantha these days - I think the RQG products will convert pretty easily, and the Mythras combat scenes will flow better..

Last edited:

- A VTT that is literally a VTT, where it's super easy to just drag and drop in a simple top down format. No combat rules or LOS or dynamic lighting...just maps and minis.

Have you considered Tabletop Simulator on Steam? I use it like that all the time.

A modern, updated RQG could be just the thing to cater to players growing bored with D&D (just like in the seventies), but this game won't do at all. I took a long, hard look at RQG last time I changed rules system for my campaign, and when I placed the character sheet next to the RQ6 sheet it illustrated clearly the difference between an modern game and a outdated game.

Yep I agree with everything you typed here.

I did likewise comparing the RQ6 character sheet to the RQG character sheet, and just groaned.
I have one player who will love it, and two players who will look at it and their eyes will glaze over. The RQ6/Mythras sheet may even do that to them, but they'll handle that much better than the RQG character sheet that is in the RQG book, it feels straight from the late 1980s when games wore heavy crunch as a sign of maturity.

I started playing RQ2 as an early adolescent in late 1985, which probably makes me a grognard compared to the trendy WotC players, but I have also played many systems since then. BRP remains a familar favourite of mine, but it could do with a tidy up around the edges - I think both OpenQuest and Mythras do quite a good job of this.

Considering that Lawrence Whitaker and Pete Nash were outsourced and on board during the earlier development of RQG, it was absolutely astounding when they were asked to step down - I would of thought the Chaosium in-house staff would have only been too happy for Loz & Pete to smooth out the mechanics whilst the rest of the Chaosium team focused on the setting lore and product direction etc.
But alas that axe fell -
But enough bitching. Those who like RQ2 have gotten RQG, the rest of us have Mythras, OpenQuest and Magic World.

Enough bitching? But this is a wishlist! heh heh
It's a "If Wishes Were Fishes' kinda thread !!!
Some of us BRP fans didn't want the core Characteristic changes for the stat blocks in the current Call of Cthulhu edition!
Some of us BRP fans want the new Gloranthan setting lore and aesthetics, but want to have RQ6/Mythras as the system!
Some of us BRP fans want Magic World to be published with a Dolemwood or DCC vibe!
We can't whinge at BRP Central anymore, because Chaosium staff pretty much run it now!
We can't whinge at RPGnet because it'll offend someone, and we'll get three-day bans for every post!
We can whinge at The RPG Site, but we fear we'll create a mob which'll end up storming the Chaosium Office in Ann Arbor!
We need to have our dreams heard somewhere !!! :shade:
heh heh :grin:

Last edited:

- AMSH (FASERIP) officially rereleased with stats for everything that came out from Marvel since it was discontinued. (I mean we're wishing, right?)
- A 1E SRD/OGL
For the VTT look At Runehammer’s and OwlBear Rodeo
There are fan sites that have stated out all the newer stuff, for Marvel & DC & others, for both FASERIP and DC Heroes
OSRIC has differences from 1E but it’s fairly close. Not perfect I agree.

Yes, there are other options. I'm not a fan of the idea that RQG should have been something very different from RQ2. Change too many things and the things that make RQ appealing to me lose out. Shrink the skill list and the variety of qualifications for cults can be lost. Change how cults work (RQ3 I'm looking at you) too much and the appeal goes away for me. Now sure, for me, I'm happy that RQ1 and RQ2 are back in print. I don't need RQG. BUT RQG means new scenarios will be much easier for me to use than scenarios for some other BRP variant, and especially, the stat blocks will be usable with fewer changes (Important, so valuable are stat blocks that I HATE the later RQ modules where all the trollkin or whatever have the same stat block - I liked those packs of all different trollkin - so a scenario can at least be a bunch of stat blocks for me even if the scenario is horrible).

From what I can tell, RQG has been popular and has led to a resurgence of RQ play. How is that any kind of failure? And really, would a different rule set have actually brought MORE folks into playing in Glorantha (we don't need a "different" RQ for non-Glorantha play, BRP options abound).

Yes, there are other options. I'm not a fan of the idea that RQG should have been something very different from RQ2. Change too many things and the things that make RQ appealing to me lose out. Shrink the skill list and the variety of qualifications for cults can be lost. Change how cults work (RQ3 I'm looking at you) too much and the appeal goes away for me. Now sure, for me, I'm happy that RQ1 and RQ2 are back in print. I don't need RQG. BUT RQG means new scenarios will be much easier for me to use than scenarios for some other BRP variant, and especially, the stat blocks will be usable with fewer changes (Important, so valuable are stat blocks that I HATE the later RQ modules where all the trollkin or whatever have the same stat block - I liked those packs of all different trollkin - so a scenario can at least be a bunch of stat blocks for me even if the scenario is horrible).

From what I can tell, RQG has been popular and has led to a resurgence of RQ play. How is that any kind of failure? And really, would a different rule set have actually brought MORE folks into playing in Glorantha (we don't need a "different" RQ for non-Glorantha play, BRP options abound).
But all the cool kids only play 5E!

I only kid a little, aren’t they doing a 5E Talislanta? It’s interesting that Palladium decided to go Savage Worlds instead of 5E as they potentially lost money in that but I guess it lets Kevin keep the idea his houseruled D&D is better than the original. Mind you I quite like Savage Worlds unlike many here.

For the VTT look At Runehammer’s and OwlBear Rodeo
I'll check it out!
There are fan sites that have stated out all the newer stuff, for Marvel & DC & others, for both FASERIP and DC Heroes
Oh yeah - I've got them bookmarked. :smile: I just wish it would become official again - assuming they get the old designers back.
OSRIC has differences from 1E but it’s fairly close. Not perfect I agree.
Yeah - as a publisher, I'd be giddy to put out "official" 1E content since my heart will always belong to 1E.

I'll check it out!

Oh yeah - I've got them bookmarked. :smile: I just wish it would become official again - assuming they get the old designers back.

Yeah - as a publisher, I'd be giddy to put out "official" 1E content since my heart will always belong to 1E.
To be fair that is exactly what OSRIC was meant to do, not be a stand along game but to allow publishers to publish 1E compatible material without running afoul of WotC.

Hey man, you might want to take a look at FASERIP

This site is really impressive and might have everything you are looking for.

By 1e do you mean AD&D?

Thanks! And yeah, I know the fan sites for FASERIP and I visit them all! No question. I just have dreams of Marvel being on board and getting a stream of new official content. Which won't happen - hence the wish. ;)

And yeah - AD&D 1E. OSRIC, as mentioned, is fantastic. My thing is just I missed my chance to publish actual AD&D 1E products cause I was just a kid. Hence the "wish" I could do it officially now that I have the means.

And yeah - AD&D 1E. OSRIC, as mentioned, is fantastic. My thing is just I missed my chance to publish actual AD&D 1E products cause I was just a kid. Hence the "wish" I could do it officially now that I have the means.
You might want to take a look at Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea, recently rebranded to Hyperborea. It isn't a straight clone like OSE's excellent B/X treatment but the creator, Jeffrey Talanian, was Gary Gygax's protege in his final years and the game has solid AD&D bones. It is easily my favorite fantasy setting; imagine AD&D with all the Tolkien-derived elements replaced by Howard, Lovecraft, and Clark Ashton Smith. Also, Talanian writes better High Gygaxian than Gygax.

Added: An official Mass Effect RPG based on a decent set of rules D6, True20, AGE, really I think True20 is the best fit, but my least favorite of the three, d6 makes loads of sense though.

I'd love to see an official Savage Worlds or 2d20 version of Shadowrun (similar to Pathfinder for Savage Worlds). While we're dreaming it would be even cooler to roll back the timeline of this game to the second edition era...or hell just a full on reboot. Maybe the license would allow for a few supplements and some adventure modules. A Bug City campaign would be sick! ...We can dream.

OMG!!! I agree with pretty much most of your post here, down to every almost word typed

Other than that, your post is very much the creative kind of game production, design, setting, and flavour that I would have loved to have seen with Magic World.
Great stuff !!! :shade:
Same here, with same caveat:thumbsup:!

I'd love to see Free League pick up the Ghostbusters license, partly to avoid seeing the IP shoehorned into 5e, but mostly because it would be great to see the whole trilogy covered by one game and the Year Zero engine is a d6-pool system similar to the original d6 Ghostbusters RPG.

I'd love to see Free League pick up the Ghostbusters license, partly to avoid seeing the IP shoehorned into 5e, but mostly because it would be great to see the whole trilogy covered by one game and the Year Zero engine is a d6-pool system similar to the original d6 Ghostbusters RPG.
Funny enough there is a pretty extensive Savage Worlds Ghostbusters hack that plays pretty well. It obviously is a different feel from the WEG d6 game but I was impressed when I played it once at a convention.

(for the purposes of this thread we used pregens which are yet another character generation option that I don’t mind as long as I get to provide the personality of the character)

Edit to add I thought I was in a different thread, exit stage left :ooh:

Funny enough there is a pretty extensive Savage Worlds Ghostbusters hack that plays pretty well. It obviously is a different feel from the WEG d6 game but I was impressed when I played it once at a convention.

(for the purposes of this thread we used pregens which are yet another character generation option that I don’t mind as long as I get to provide the personality of the character)

Edit to add I thought I was in a different thread, exit stage left :ooh:
No harm, no foul. Everybody has their preference when it comes to an IP's RPG system. Like I said, the shoehorning of IP into 5e is a crime against gamerkind, in my opinion. While Highlander and Pacific Rim are smaller IP in the grand scheme of licensing, they do deserve their own unique systems, or at best, a more appropriate existing system. What those systems are, I don't know, but 5e ain't it.

Judging by the lack of response to my thread asking for recommendations, what I really want is a high school RPG that plays it vanilla rather than being urban fantasy set in a high school setting. Apparently there aren't any. :p

Annoyingly, I actually wrote one with my friends when I was 12 but it's been lost in the mists of the time. The main thing I remember about it was that the classes were based on British high school tropes from Skool Daze and Grange Hill; there was a bully, a tearaway, a geek and a "wheeler dealer".

The other thing I remember is that the wheeler dealer randomly generated their main line of business on a d100. 01-05 was "sweets." 00 was "heroin". We had perhaps taken the wrong lessons from the prominent "Just Say No" campaign of the time.

Judging by the lack of response to my thread asking for recommendations, what I really want is a high school RPG that plays it vanilla rather than being urban fantasy set in a high school setting. Apparently there aren't any. :p

Annoyingly, I actually wrote one with my friends when I was 12 but it's been lost in the mists of the time. The main thing I remember about it was that the classes were based on British high school tropes from Skool Daze and Grange Hill; there was a bully, a tearaway, a geek and a "wheeler dealer".

The other thing I remember is that the wheeler dealer randomly generated their main line of business on a d100. 01-05 was "sweets." 00 was "heroin". We had perhaps taken the wrong lessons from the prominent "Just Say No" campaign of the time.
It isn't exactly what you want, but Bubblegumshoe is a teen detective RPG that Ken Hite worked on along the lines of Veronica Mars. I don't own it, but it might at least be a source of inspiration.

There are so many cheap and quick rpg's out there now I wish there was a good rpg based on Mass effect. Apparently some f'in suit somewhere decided he didn't want one made.

As for systems to run it in given the later games were gear heavy I'd say gurps or BL23C.

I would not want a cheap d20 clone for MERPG.

Well, you might want to follow Tollenkar on the TFT Discord. He's making one about 1980's high schools.

I believe there was a Z/X Spectrum Grange Hill game. I thought we were playing RPGs to escape the horror of 1970s state education. It was probably the least likely genre to flourish.

Not exactly as you want but as others have said:
Bubblegumshoe
Kids on Bikes
Tales from the loop
Things from the flood
Dark places & demogorgons
The dare (sentinel hill press)

I desire...
... A treatment of the Hyborian age using TFT as the core system
... A treatment of middle earth using original Pendragon as the core system
... Another wave of original Runequest revival that yields a few original-edition-compatible boxed sets
... A true megadungeon for TFT
... Expansion sets for original Behind Enemy Lines that deal with the Pacific, Eastern front, etc.
... A Nepoleonic-era game with breadth of vision and exciting themes
All of those sound great!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back