RPGs That Should Exist - 2021 Edition

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I'm late to the party, so please forgive me some...
Figure we could use a new thread for this, the old one's long gone, an sort of bogged down in a lot of posts before we really got into the wing of things.

49999194632_1ea87262b5_o.png
Ok, yes, but WHY IS IT MADE WITH ROLEMASTER?!
Um...weren't some of the toys based off of Battletech?
Hey! I loved that show! It also helped give rise to Disney's Tailspin cartoon!
I've been to a few of those college halloween parties. They don't end well.
My collection of Mad Max Car Wars stuff:

1st Edition:
View attachment 36043

2nd Edition:
View attachment 36044

2nd Edition Expansion:
View attachment 36045

The GURPS RPG:
View attachment 36046
If you don't know about it, you really should go download Atomic Highway off of DrvethruRPG right now.
They just Kickstarted something almost exactly like this. No, really.
Just watching this again. It's not brilliant (Tom Hardy grunts through it) but seems obvious fodder for RPGs. Can't remember if anyone done one...

mad-max-rpg.png
Atomic Highway. Free. On DriveThruRPG. Right now. You can build characters, customize vehicles, and be playing in 20-30 minutes.
Yeah, I went there. This is the game that made me almost hate that Mistborn exists. Almost. :hehe:

View attachment 38040
This. And all the damn boardgames that aren't Spycraft 3. Seriously.
This exists. It's not Victorianna. It has its own system. It's a pretty good line.

That looked like one my crew used to use for MERP back in the day. Don't get me wrong, I like MERP and VsDM but I would want to play the Legend of Zelda with something lighter in rules and tone.

This is a game I would kill to have been a real thing back in the 80's. Obviously it would have been a British game.

What system would it have used? My money is on either a BRP derived product, a version of Advanced Fighting Fantasy or Dragon Warriors.

Or it might have its own system probably simple and D6 based.

I had the first series Mauler, Sloth, Infiltrator, and Banshee. IIRC we got them at a Rose's that was going out of business.

Also, I had a TON of Exo-Squad stuff.

Oh, man, speaking of "RPGs That Should Exist" I should photoshop up a EXO Squad RPG book cover. Also, mad respect for the Exo-Squad cartoon love. It really is the western Gundam (even down to paralleling the Western Front of WWII while Gundam paralleled the Eastern Front)

Also, mad respect for the Exo-Squad cartoon love. It really is the western Gundam (even down to paralleling the Western Front of WWII while Gundam paralleled the Eastern Front)

Yeah, it came at exactly the right time for me, when I hadn't yet discovered anime, but I'd given up on Saturday morning cartoons just a few years before. And suddenly here is this epic war drama that is honestly really maturely written about some pretty complex moral issues. Don't know how many pre-adolescent viewers picked up on the allegories inherent in a genetically-engineered slave race revolt told from the POV of good people on the sorta-badder side, but it was paced well with the action and left the deeper stuff to subtext most of the time.

But this most radical thing about it was that it was long-form storytelling. That's so common for TV shows today but, outside of soaps, super rare at the time. Episodic entertainment ruled. And Exo-Squad used it so well, crafted this satisfying story with real character arcs and consequences to actions that played out naturally, and still make every episode count and leaving the viewer wanting more. I still wish we had gotten more, but the initial premise got a satisfying resolution at least.

Yeah, i came at exactly the right time for me, when I hadn't yet discovered anime, but I'd given up on Saturday morning cartoons just a few years before. And suddenly here is this epic war drama that is honestly really maturely written about some pretty complex moral issues. Don't know how many pre-adolescent viewers picked up on the allegories inherent in a genetically-engineered slave race revolt told from the POV of good people on the sorta-badder side, but it was paced well with the action and left the deeper stuff to subtext most of the time.

But this most radical thing about it was that it was long-form storytelling. That's so common for TV shows today but, outside of soaps, super rare at the time. Episodic entertainment ruled. And Exo-Squad used it so well, crafted this satisfying story with real character arcs and consequences to actions that played out naturally, and still make every episode count and leaving the viewer wanting more. I still wish we had gotten more, but the initial premise got a satisfying resolution at least.
Man, I so love Exosquad.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back