Russ Nicholson has passed away. Rest in peace.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Gringnr

D6 Nutz
Reaction score
This is fresh news, making the rounds on gamebook related sites and Facebook pages. I heard of it from Scott Malthouse's post on Mastodon.

Nicholson's art was essential in forming my mental images of D&D as a kid. To this day, the Fiend Folio is my favorite OSR book of all time, artistically speaking.

A singular, irreplaceable talent.

Is this a Mandela Effect moment? I could have sworn I read news that he had passed months ago.

Sad news.

Man, that dude was sooo damn talented and original. I remember his art from when I was a kid and doing all those FF books. He really brought those pages to life.

If I had half the talent he had I'd be over the moon. RIP - fellow artist. :sad:

Like many others of a certain age, and UK born, my first step into the world of RPGs was through The Warlock of Firetop Mountain. It seemed interesting in concept but it was the artwork that really sold me on trying to read it. I was way behind the rest of my class in reading and writing at that time and my Mum used the book as a means to encourage me to try and read more. Her idea worked and that directly led to me getting a good education and a very good job. So I have both my Mum and Russ Nicholson to thank for that!

Also, to me, he is the definitive fantasy artist of the 80s and perhaps of all time.

RIP

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back