Ryuutama - a video review

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I found this one interesting more for the brief info dump at the start on Japaneese RPG culture than the game itself. Thanks for sharing.

It's a fantastically flavourful game - essentially the closest any game I know of has gotten to capturing the feel of a Miyazaki film

Would love to see more like it get a translation.

I have the collector's edition of it and it's just such a pretty book. I also like the idea of how status effects and your condition interact, and just the travel rules in general. It really makes just normal travel from place to place have some flavor and feel a little bit more interactive.

Got the PDF from the Kickstarter. Wish I'd have gotten a hard copy.

I've been wanting to port over some of it into D&D somehow...

I have a copies of the collectors and standard edition. Both are gorgeous.

Its a really cool game. Its actually quite brutal in play once you get into combat and the harvesting of body parts from things you kill. Almost as much as OD&D :grin: If you want something more honobono (Miyazaki), you may want to look at Golden Sky Stories.

My fondest memories of the game was that the ability to handle animals and trade in goods proved to actually far more useful than magic or combat even :smile:

What bits - the travel mechanics?
From what I remember, yeah. But also the general mood and "feel". XP for other things than killing stuff (more crunchy than just winging it with milestone XP).

The classes in the game are really nice, and represent an incredibly interesting change from the military-orientated classes of most fantasy games. You begin the game really feeling like a part of a community and a working world. And I can't think of any other RPG where being a farmer is arguably more advantageous than being a fighter.

That review misses a number of mechanics, such as how fumbles generate points that the group can spend like drama points.

It was the 3rd Japanese RPG translated to English: http://starlinepublishing.com/our-games/golden-sky-stories/

You play animal spirits who are trying to help people with problems.

There is a pretty cool supplement in which you play D&D monsters trying to help adventurers with their problems.

Ugh, I want to play that game so damn badly. The only time I got the chance, it lasted all of five minutes before the GM disappeared into thin air. :sad:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back