S&V - The Outfit (IC thread)

TheophilusCarter

Milliner and Haberdasher
Joined
Aug 15, 2017
Messages
2,546
Reaction score
4,374
"Syd seems good for now," says Sam. "He wants us to get out there and start earning! Sounds like we have a few good ideas. I think it's just a matter of which one first. How about we start with the easiest money?"
 

Fenris-77

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
465
Reaction score
581
"I think we need more info before we dash off and do anything. We need to look into the arms thing to see who's involved, we might want to start working on a plan to spoof the bank biometrics, and we need deets on the protection racket. My vote would be to pursue whichever opportunity pops first," says Yoster. "We need names and locations I think. After that we can probably decide how to play things and get stuck in."
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
7,707
Reaction score
11,624
"It may be my paranoia talking but I wonder if Syd's 'accident' was an attempted hit by whoever pulled the original job,' I say. 'Either way, we may want to cash in on our stash quick before we attract either legit or underground heat.'
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,662
Reaction score
3,962
"It may be my paranoia talking but I wonder if Syd's 'accident' was an attempted hit by whoever pulled the original job,' I say. 'Either way, we may want to cash in on our stash quick before we attract either legit or underground heat.'
OOC: See:

 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
7,707
Reaction score
11,624
Lola searches the material for blackmail possibilites, being systemic she sorts it by risk and reward level (high, medium, low) to bring to the rest of the gang to make a decision.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,662
Reaction score
3,962
OOC: Ha, yeah. It's hard not to overthink con / heist genres ... :smile:
OOC: That's what the flashback mechanics are for. I think they're the real strength of the FITD system - it's designed to do competency porn and the flashback system lets you roleplay 20/20 hindsight without having to overthink the heist up front.
 

TheophilusCarter

Milliner and Haberdasher
Joined
Aug 15, 2017
Messages
2,546
Reaction score
4,374
OOC: Yah, similar flashback mechanics in the Leverage RPG, really neat stuff.
 

Fenris-77

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
465
Reaction score
581
"As soon as we have targets let's roll on some surveillance to see if there are security arrangements or the like the we can take advantage of with any of the principles." says Yoster. "I don't want to over prep a simple job, but exploiting weaknesses is always a good idea".
 

Smith

Legendary Member
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
665
Reaction score
722
OOC: Does Brun have any context to approach the parties related to the Brigadier's will from a non-invasive standpoint? What with a military background. She could also tap Lefty for a contact here
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,662
Reaction score
3,962
OOC: Does Brun have any context to approach the parties related to the Brigadier's will from a non-invasive standpoint? What with a military background. She could also tap Lefty for a contact here
You have two leads:
  • The names of the beneficiaries in his will: The P.A., the brother and the wife, also, the location where the embalmed body is on display.
  • A name and address for what looks like a rendezvous or maybe a drop.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
3,830
Reaction score
5,816
You have two leads:
  • The names of the beneficiaries in his will: The P.A., the brother and the wife, also, the location where the embalmed body is on display.
  • A name and address for what looks like a rendezvous or maybe a drop.
"Checking out that drop point seems like a good option. Few of us head there and check it out?"
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
1,067
Reaction score
1,442
"It may be my paranoia talking but I wonder if Syd's 'accident' was an attempted hit by whoever pulled the original job,' I say. 'Either way, we may want to cash in on our stash quick before we attract either legit or underground heat.'
"This was my concern, but not a way to send a message, unless you don't want the message actually sent, but just end the line of communication, that's more covert ops, than the sort of things criminals usually do--they want the notoriety, military? Not so much."

"If you'd like I can go to the body's locations and take a look if someone will back me up. Who can talk up a good heat while we're in there."
 

Fenris-77

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
465
Reaction score
581
"We have three talkers Vic, you, me, and Sam." says Yoster. After some thought he adds "Mostly Sam. Lola's good at sussing things out though, maybe she'd be a good pick there... plus shes got the computer mojo."
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
1,067
Reaction score
1,442
"Sam or Lola would be fine, I mostly need time to get a scan on my medkit, see if his death might have left some information behind we could utilize." (Ooc: Rest well Nobby!)
 

Fenris-77

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
465
Reaction score
581
OCC: So Sam and Vic are going to check out the body, while the rest of use check out the drop point? Just making sure we're on the same page. One of our two hacker types might want to go with Sam and Vic just in case that skill set ends up being needed. Three sounds like enough to check out the drop sight and do some poking around.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,662
Reaction score
3,962
@Séadna, @TheophilusCarter, @Fenris-77 -

You head off to the rendezvous point. It's a newsagent called Pavarta Lenart in one of the scungier parts of downtown Vetawa. The note has the location and a name to ask for. You're standing down the street from it What do you do?


PavartaLenart.png
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
3,830
Reaction score
5,816
Espa will nonchalantly come up along Passos St and turn into the Tulip Rose while glancing at Pavarta Lenart.
 

Fenris-77

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
465
Reaction score
581
I can roll.point. I'll wait until the other two have sauntered into position and then I'll go say your damn words.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,662
Reaction score
3,962
@Smith, @Voros, @Silverlion

Tonami.png

You drive to the late Brigadier's country house, in the hills just outside a village near Tonami. You drive up to the front of the house, and a sign has been set up directing mourners inside to pay their respects. You park your car in a space indicated by another sign and go in.

Inside is a reception room or lounge - this is quite a posh house. The reception is decorated in a conservative style, with a large glass wall opening onto the front garden. The window runs the entire height of the room with both the main floor and a mezzanine floor covering the front half of the room offering a view out of the window. It has the tinting active, keeping light levels in the room to a subdued level.

The Brigadier is lying in a casket on a stand in the middle of the room, with several floral wreaths laid at the casket. You can see a man with a very lawyerish air in a suit standing around watching an animated conversation between two women. The younger appears to be somewhere in her thirties and the older maybe 70 or 80 but with extensive anagathic treatment. The are giving each other cold stares and drop their voices when you enter the room. Talking with the lawyer is another gentleman who bears some family resemblance to the late Brigadier.

When you enter the room the women turn briefly to look at you and continue to spit tacks at each other in low voices. The man talking to the lawyer takes a longer look at you then walks over to you. He has a distinctly military air about him, but he's wearing civilian clothes and appears to be in the habit of dressing in this way.

introducing himself as Sanjo Madhubani, he asks "And you are ...?"
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,662
Reaction score
3,962
Espa will nonchalantly come up along Passos St and turn into the Tulip Rose while glancing at Pavarta Lenart.
You take a seat in the pub and order a pint. The pub gives you a decent view across the street to the newsagent.
I can roll.point. I'll wait until the other two have sauntered into position and then I'll go say your damn words.
You enter the newsagent and ask a sullen looking gentleman of about 60 behind the counter. He looks at you and then goes to collect a parcel, handing it to you. You notice him looking a bit uneasy.
@Séadna -

You notice a tall gentleman, perhaps 60 or 70 years of age get up suddenly and walk out of the pub purposefully. He's obviously still quite fit and has a definite military bearing about him - you'd guess that he had spent most of his life as career military.
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
7,707
Reaction score
11,624
'Friends of the family,' Lola puts out her hand with a bright smile. 'Wawa Loden. So sorry to meet under these sad circumstances. I hope we haven't come at a wrong time to pay our respects?'
 

Fenris-77

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
465
Reaction score
581
Yoster is going to put his hands on his blaster and his large shiv, but he'll wait to see how shit shakes out.
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
1,067
Reaction score
1,442
Since introductions are being handled by the others I'm going to step up, and give a proper salute of respect, and let my eyes examine the body. If the other two keep everyone busy, I'll do a covert medical scan.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,662
Reaction score
3,962
Yoster is going to put his hands on his blaster and his large shiv, but he'll wait to see how shit shakes out.
Sam accompanies Yoster, smiling, his chin expressing friendly confidence.
A tall gentleman of about 70 enters after you, catches your attention and says "I think we may have something to discuss. Would you care to pop down to the Tulip Rose with me?"

His demeanor suggests a career military background, and the way he's holding his right hand suggests that he's packing heat.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,662
Reaction score
3,962
'Friends of the family,' Lola puts out her hand with a bright smile. 'Wawa Loden. So sorry to meet under these sad circumstances. I hope we haven't come at a wrong time to pay our respects?'
The gentleman shakes your hand, and you notice the two women glance at you. He looks at for you a moment quizzically and then glances at the older woman, who shakes her head slightly and gives him a blank look. He turns to you and then says politely "I don't believe that we've met; my name is Arjen Madubani, Trei's brother. Trei's passing is such a tragedy, don't you agree?"

The younger woman breaks off her conversation and comes over to you. She appears to be somewhere in her 30s, quite attractive and impeccably groomed and dressed - obviously accustomed to dressing in this way routinely. You notice that she's giving you something of a green eye and appears to suspect you of playing hide the sausage with the late brigadier. This suggests that she may have also been a bit more than just a personal assistant to him. She says, quite coldly, "Funny - I don't think we've met, either. My name is Shora Kasugai, personal assistant to the late brigadier, and you are ... ?"
Since introductions are being handled by the others I'm going to step up, and give a proper salute of respect, and let my eyes examine the body. If the other two keep everyone busy, I'll do a covert medical scan.
The other people in the room are distracted with Lola long enough for you to get a visual analysis, although a backscatter scanner is too large to wield discreetly in a setting like this. The body is heavily embalmed and filled in with reconstruction compound, suggesting some significant trauma which is consistent with the official story of his colliding with a truck.
 
Last edited:

TheophilusCarter

Milliner and Haberdasher
Joined
Aug 15, 2017
Messages
2,546
Reaction score
4,374
A tall gentleman of about 70 enters after you, catches your attention and says "I think we may have something to discuss. Would you care to pop down to the Tulip Rose with me?"

His demeanor suggests a career military background, and the way he's holding his right hand suggests that he's packing heat.
"Well, sure!" says Sam, appearing completely unthreatened, while hoping that Yoster is on high alert, just in case. "I hear they have good mojitos there!"
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,662
Reaction score
3,962
@Séadna, @TheophilusCarter, @Fenris-77 -

The gentleman accompanies you down to the Tulip rose. He's clocked both you and Yoster, and notices Espa as you go back into the pub. He motions you to his table and gestures for you to sit down. He's obviously ready for trouble but doesn't appear to be intending to start it.

"I think you may have some items that I want," he says, "and I think we can come to an arrangement that might be mutually beneficial.

Shall we have a chat?"
 

TheophilusCarter

Milliner and Haberdasher
Joined
Aug 15, 2017
Messages
2,546
Reaction score
4,374
Sam sits, projecting unthreatening friendliness. "That sounds fantastic. By all means, let's hear your offer."
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
7,707
Reaction score
11,624
'So sad,' I agree and give a sincere look of consideration.

'Wawa Loden, friend of the family...' I repeat to the woman with a meaningful glance downwards. 'I'll go pay my respects if you don't mind,' I say and put my hand on the arm of the man as a sign of sympathy before moving to view the body.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
3,830
Reaction score
5,816
Espa will sit down with Sam, waiting to hear what the gentleman says.
 
Top