S&V - The Outfit (IC thread)

Fenris-77

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
737
Reaction score
1,015
I'll be the heavy then. No dialogue from me but I'll keep my head on a swivel.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,971
Reaction score
4,455
Sam sits, projecting unthreatening friendliness. "That sounds fantastic. By all means, let's hear your offer."
Espa will sit down with Sam, waiting to hear what the gentleman says.
I'll be the heavy then. No dialogue from me but I'll keep my head on a swivel.
The man introduces himself as Sgt. Major Samidi Rocco (retired), formerly colour sergeant to Brigadier Madubani.

"Since you're here, you must have obtained some of the Brigadier's papers, perhaps from a certain safety deposit box. If the box contains what I think it does, I may be able to arrange help with certain items involving a bank account. This package you've collected should also contain a payment and instructions for a rendezvous. There should also be a will that substantially rearranges the disbursement of the Brigadier's legacy, and his nephew may find that quite interesting.

Does this ring any bells for you?"
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,971
Reaction score
4,455
'So sad,' I agree and give a sincere look of consideration.

'Wawa Loden, friend of the family...' I repeat to the woman with a meaningful glance downwards. 'I'll go pay my respects if you don't mind,' I say and put my hand on the arm of the man as a sign of sympathy before moving to view the body.
He looks at you briefly and then a bit longer. The older woman comes up to you looking quite angry and says "A friend of the family? I've never met you. What are you hoping to ..."

She is cut short by Arjen putting his hand on her arm and giving her a look; she stops talking and then leaves the room with him.

Shora stands there looking at you; then she looks over the rest of the party and says "Feel free to pay your respects." She starts to say something, thinks better of it, looks at you again, then leaves the room.
 

TheophilusCarter

Milliner and Haberdasher
Joined
Aug 15, 2017
Messages
2,558
Reaction score
4,382
The man introduces himself as Sgt. Major Samidi Rocco (retired), formerly colour sergeant to Brigadier Madubani.

"Since you're here, you must have obtained some of the Brigadier's papers, perhaps from a certain safety deposit box. If the box contains what I think it does, I may be able to arrange help with certain items involving a bank account. This package you've collected should also contain a payment and instructions for a rendezvous. There should also be a will that substantially rearranges the disbursement of the Brigadier's legacy, and his nephew may find that quite interesting.

Does this ring any bells for you?"
"Tubular Bells, friend!" says Sam. "So what's in this for you?"
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,971
Reaction score
4,455
"Tubular Bells, friend!" says Sam. "So what's in this for you?"
"Well, I am a beneficiary in the new will, but mainly I think there was some foul play in the Brigadier's death, and I want to find those responsible. I think we might also be able to turn a profit on the transaction that I suspect to be detailed in the package you have picked up. In return, I believe that Trei ... The brigadier had a bank account, and I can put you in touch with someone who can help you get the money back out of it. If I'm right, there will also be a payment in that parcel.

You may also want to consider throwing a bone to the Brigadier's nephew, one Captain Arjen Madubani. He's pretty senior in Naval Intelligence, and not someone you want to get on the bad side of. If there's anything incriminating in the box ... Let's say you might be better off with him owing you a favour."
 

TheophilusCarter

Milliner and Haberdasher
Joined
Aug 15, 2017
Messages
2,558
Reaction score
4,382
"All right," responds Sam. "Naturally, I can't promise anything until I run it by my associates, but I suspect they'll be interested. You sound like you've thought about this already, so how do you suggest we do this thing?"
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
8,061
Reaction score
12,230
Realizing the jig is up I quickly pay my respects silently at the casket and make my exit. I act though less like a con gone wrong and more as an embarrassed former lover.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,971
Reaction score
4,455
"All right," responds Sam. "Naturally, I can't promise anything until I run it by my associates, but I suspect they'll be interested. You sound like you've thought about this already, so how do you suggest we do this thing?"
"I'll arrange a meeting with the person who can access the account but it's about to get complicated. Trei's lawyer has asked Arjen to pull some strings and try to find the box. She will be under surveillance by now, and I don't think it's much longer before I pick up a tail."

He writes down an address and time on a card. "Bring the will and anything incriminating to the meeting. The first meeting will be with Arjen, and that's to sweeten him up with it. Don't try to extort him and don't let on that you have the safety deposit box - we can tell him that the documents were actually stored in files at the Annex. He will have agents watching the place. We can tackle the account after the dust settles on the will; he won't be able to keep the surveillance up indefinitely."

He continues "Thirdly, we need to have a look at the package. If it's what I think it is, we need to look at that and decide what to do with it."
 
Last edited:

TheophilusCarter

Milliner and Haberdasher
Joined
Aug 15, 2017
Messages
2,558
Reaction score
4,382
"All righty, then," says Sam. "Assuming my colleagues approve, I'll see you at the time and place. I don't like the sound of that 'tail' so let's be on our respective ways, shall we?"
 

Smith

Legendary Member
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
720
Reaction score
819
Realizing the jig is up I quickly pay my respects silently at the casket and make my exit. I act though less like a con gone wrong and more as an embarrassed former lover.
Brun tries to grab her on the way out in a firm yet non-hostile grab. She hisses "leaving so soon is likely going to raise suspicion. Throw up some bullshit about a distant connection." Brun releases her grip and goes to pay a military respect to the dead fellow, and pretends to care.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,971
Reaction score
4,455
Realizing the jig is up I quickly pay my respects silently at the casket and make my exit. I act though less like a con gone wrong and more as an embarrassed former lover.
Brun tries to grab her on the way out in a firm yet non-hostile grab. She hisses "leaving so soon is likely going to raise suspicion. Throw up some bullshit about a distant connection." Brun releases her grip and goes to pay a military respect to the dead fellow, and pretends to care.
You both manage to exit decorously, although you're pretty sure that the nephew Arjen clocked you. You drive off.
"All righty, then," says Sam. "Assuming my colleagues approve, I'll see you at the time and place. I don't like the sound of that 'tail' so let's be on our respective ways, shall we?"
Yoster whispers in your ear. "We need a contact number"
"And we need a contact number," says Sam.
Sgt. Rocco looks at you and says "Look up The Annex, Nawapur House in the directory. Ask for the warden - that's me. You should assume the line is being monitored, and for god's sage don't call from any device that can be traced to you. If you need to communicate with me in confidence, send a parcel addressed to Mr. Raitei c/- the Wrightsens. That's a farm supplies store and the proprietor is a former subordinate of mine. You should get a couple of drops there before the NAVINT people twig on."

He looks at you again and says "You like you've been in the Advisor brigades but you need to smarten up your tradecraft pronto."
 

TheophilusCarter

Milliner and Haberdasher
Joined
Aug 15, 2017
Messages
2,558
Reaction score
4,382
He looks at you again and says "You like you've been in the Advisor brigades but you need to smarten up your tradecraft pronto."
OOC: I'm not quite sure how to respond to that. If that's directed at us players, please be sure that I'm doing my best, given my lack of experience with this RPG genre. :smile:
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,971
Reaction score
4,455
OOC: I'm not quite sure how to respond to that. If that's directed at us players, please be sure that I'm doing my best, given my lack of experience with this RPG genre. :smile:
OOC: He's warning you that there may be some unsavoury folks - including but not limited to Arjen's NAVINT people - involved in this, and that he's has to assume that he's now under surveillance so be careful how you contact him. He thinks that you can bribe Arjen off with the will and the invoices and documents but you need to do that in a way that divorces them from the safety deposit box - reading between the lines he thinks he can do that. Having said that, I think I dropped the ball with the last one, as I now see I left it out of something he said previously.

See the updated:

 

Fenris-77

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
737
Reaction score
1,015
"We can spin a yarn that keep us in the clear on the bank job, I'm sure." says Yoster. "I can think of a couple of ways to get that done, and maybe drop someone else in the frame for us. We should talk it over with the whole crew."

"I also think we can manage the tradecraft," he adds.

OOC: I need to figure out where I can get my hands on some trash with Suvarov's and his crews fingerprints on it. I don't need much.

"Sam, I'm feeling like we should maybe move that van soon. I have no issue keeping the cage at my place, but I think the van can be put to better use."
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
4,107
Reaction score
6,457
Espa leans in to Sam and Yoster.

"Think we should find out more about this Cuore d'Oro ship?"

OOC: Cross game continuity Nobby I noticed
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,971
Reaction score
4,455
[ . . . ]
OOC: I need to figure out where I can get my hands on some trash with Suvarov's and his crews fingerprints on it. I don't need much.
OOC: It wouldn't take a lot of digging to find out which pubs or other establishments they frequent, and perhaps bribe someone to retrieve their glasses or some such. We can start a little side-thread for it.
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
8,061
Reaction score
12,230
Lola waits for Brun not far from the entrance within sight of other mourners, smoking a holo-cig and giving an appearence of being emotionally shaken.
 
Last edited:

Fenris-77

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
737
Reaction score
1,015
OOC: It wouldn't take a lot of digging to find out which pubs or other establishments they frequent, and perhaps bribe someone to retrieve their glasses or some such. We can start a little side-thread for it.
Sure. I dont even want glassware. A couple of soda cans would do the kind if thing that might get left in a van by mistake, say.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,971
Reaction score
4,455
Sure. I dont even want glassware. A couple of soda cans would do the kind if thing that might get left in a van by mistake, say.
It doesn't take you a lot of digging to find out a couple of their preferred watering holes - the Oasis Lounge and Porte En Ete.

OasisLounge.png
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
1,225
Reaction score
1,620
I eventually head back to those who came with me. "I've paid my respects. If you wish to do the same."
 

Smith

Legendary Member
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
720
Reaction score
819
OOC: The funeral crew seems ready to bow out and regroup, we didn't do so hot here :tongue:
 

Fenris-77

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
737
Reaction score
1,015
OCC: IDK, maybe a lighter touch. We have lots of skills for surveillance and computer shenanigans. Maybe we should throw a net around him and do some digging. See if we cant dig something up between where he goes and who he sees and what kind of records and history we can dig up. Weve got a meeting, so it might be useful to have a better idea who were dealing with. Mostly how dirty and ruthless is he?

I'm working on a plan to shift the blame for the robbery off us too. We can discuss once were all back in the same room.

IC: "Rendezvous at the clubhouse, time for dastardly plans"
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,971
Reaction score
4,455
Lola waits for Brun not far from the entrance within sight of other mourners, smoking a holo-cig and giving an appearence of being emotionally shaken.
I eventually head back to those who came with me. "I've paid my respects. If you wish to do the same."
OOC: The funeral crew seems ready to bow out and regroup, we didn't do so hot here :tongue:
You manage to exit decorously, although you've got the nagging suspicion that the nephew Arjen clocked you. You drive off.

The good news is that you don't appear to have picked up a tail.
 

Fenris-77

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
737
Reaction score
1,015
OCC: Maybe the people who were at the funeral shouldn't go the meet? Or be in disguise. Or somewhere with a sniper rifle. Or something...
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
8,061
Reaction score
12,230
I send an encryted msg. to the others to find out where they are.
 
Last edited:

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,971
Reaction score
4,455
OCC: IDK, maybe a lighter touch. We have lots of skills for surveillance and computer shenanigans. Maybe we should throw a net around him and do some digging. See if we cant dig something up between where he goes and who he sees and what kind of records and history we can dig up. Weve got a meeting, so it might be useful to have a better idea who were dealing with. Mostly how dirty and ruthless is he?

I'm working on a plan to shift the blame for the robbery off us too. We can discuss once were all back in the same room.

IC: "Rendezvous at the clubhouse, time for dastardly plans"
"And drink!" Sam enthuses ...
Some digging in public information nets a couple of bulletins in military journals that mention Rocco in context with Madubani, implying he's pretty much what he says on the tin. There's a notice of his retirement from about 15 years ago but otherwise there's not much online presence.

There appear to be no public records on Arjen Madubani at all.
Espa leans in to Sam and Yoster.

"Think we should find out more about this Cuore d'Oro ship?"

OOC: Cross game continuity Nobby I noticed
From public shipping records, it's a Fraternity class medium hauler registered on Cyrus originally but currently registered at Ezra's Belt. The listed owner is Roslyn Sukarno and the captain is listed as Andrej Torodov.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
4,107
Reaction score
6,457
From public shipping records, it's a Fraternity class medium hauler registered on Cyrus originally but currently registered at Ezra's Belt. The listed owner is Roslyn Sukarno and the captain is listed as Andrej Torodov.
Espa tries to find its usual itinerary, is it just Denaspar to the Belt and back, or more varied.
 

Fenris-77

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
737
Reaction score
1,015
I send an encryted msg. to the others to find out where they are.
Breaker breaker, we're at the clubhouse, come on back now...

OCC: We need good encrypted comms for the whole team if we don't already have such a thing.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,971
Reaction score
4,455
OCC: Is this as significant as it seems? It seems to me like a big flashing neon sign that says "I'm a bad mother hubbard".
OOC: Ask the others what Sgt. Maj. Rocco had to say about him.
 

Fenris-77

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
737
Reaction score
1,015
OOC: Ask the others what Sgt. Maj. Rocco had to say about him.
OCC: Yoster was there with Rocco, he just said he wasn't a guy you wanted to be on the bad side of. That could mean a lot of things. Maybe he's just well connected intelligence or maybe he's dirtier than a hobo's underwear...
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,971
Reaction score
4,455
OCC: Yoster was there with Rocco, he just said he wasn't a guy you wanted to be on the bad side of. That could mean a lot of things. Maybe he's just well connected intelligence or maybe he's dirtier than a hobo's underwear...
OOC: So here's a summary of what you do know and can find out trivially.

Rocco seemed to think that NAVINT weren't someone you want to tangle with but that Arjen could probably be bought off. If the guy's involved in the spook services then from an OPSEC perspective they may well be a bit overzealous in cleaning up anything that might leak information - the only thing you could find by name was his university yearbook from 2703.

There is a bit of Hello Magazine type ra-ra about the Brigadier's family online, especially now he's dead and folks are publishing obituaries. From what you could find about the Brigadier, the family is related to the Tandrapratnas, which puts them close to the murkier depths of the political establishment, with implications of Skull-and-Bones or Bohemian Grove types of backroom dealings.

NAVINT isn't the KGB - it is a military intelligence agency that wouldn't normally have any interest in something like a small-time crime syndicate - but Rocco seemed to be of the view that they were best not trifled with, suggesting that he thinks Arjen has some reach. He also seems to think it's possible to stay off their radar by keeping Arjen sweet and looking like something that's not worth his time. Arjen is not a policeman and probably has bigger fish to fry; mounting a large scale investigation of a small-time crime syndicate is well off his manor and may even raise eyebrows he's prefer not to get raised.

One can say Arjen is very much of the manse and probably has fingers in pies, but is otherwise a man of mystery. On the other hand, you're not totally without leverage either.

He's just clocked three of you at the viewing.
 
Last edited:

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,971
Reaction score
4,455
Breaker breaker, we're at the clubhouse, come on back now...

OCC: We need good encrypted comms for the whole team if we don't already have such a thing.
This seems like a good opportunity for a flashback to obtain something - at a minimum some burner phones.
 

TheophilusCarter

Milliner and Haberdasher
Joined
Aug 15, 2017
Messages
2,558
Reaction score
4,382
OOC: That's probably something Sam would have done. So how do we kick off a flashback?
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
2,971
Reaction score
4,455
OOC: That's probably something Sam would have done. So how do we kick off a flashback?
OOC: Think of the flashback mechanics as a way to implement Ocean's 11: the role playing game. You retrospectively come up with preparation as you need it based on the situations you get in, effectively retconning the events into the past. A flashback could cost 0-2 stress, depending on how complex or fraught it is. You can't undo the present situation with the flashback, only come up with some prep. Then, if the flashback is something that requires a bit of play through (e.g. finding the right guard to bribe), we can run it as a sort of retrospective.

In this case, start with outlining what you've done to mitigate the situation you're in now. For something like burner phones, it could be as simple as just buying them off somebody on the street who sells stolen ones with cloned or forged IDs; it's not hard to imagine your party having this sort of contact. This one is a pretty straightforward flashback that your group would be in a position to do fairly readily.
 
Last edited:
Top