S&V - The Outfit (IC thread)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
"OK, let's get moving in that direction," suggests Sam. "I'll call him while we're on the way, just to make sure he expects us ... "
Voros Voros, Séadna Séadna, Smith Smith, Fenris-77 Fenris-77, TheophilusCarter TheophilusCarter, Silverlion Silverlion -

Sam calls Syd and tells him to expect a package. It's after midnight when you roll into his shop. You back the van up into his shop and he closes the garage door.

Syd is curious and apprehensive. On one hand he's obviously bursting to know what the big secret is; on the other he's apprehensive about what he's about to get into.

On opening the van he climbs in and looks at the marking on the cage "Reseune - Federation made", he mutters. Looking in the viewport, he spots the rack of equipment at the back. "An APS-24 - what's that for?"

He stares at the contents of the cage and then you see a look of realisation dawn on his face. He looks at Ace, then at the rest of the party. "Where did you get ... No, I don't want to know."

Then, a few seconds later: "You want me to get these open, don't you."

"Can you do it?" Espa says curtly "Before we get into whether you will agree to"

"Can you do it?" Espa says curtly "Before we get into whether you will agree to"
He considers for a minute or so and then finally says "I think so."

Then he turns back to the party and says "I presume you've swept the van?"

"Swept it twice. You're not going to hurt my feelings if you do it again though."

I'll also offer to give him a hand if he thinks he can use another pair.

He considers for a minute or so and then finally says "I think so."
"Okay great, that's what I expected given the impression I got of you. Now for what price will you do it?" she says with a smile.

"Everyone alright?" I ask focused on the people, not the machine. "That looks to be a dangerous thing to get, and not easy to do."

"Hah, yeah Doc, it's plenty dangerous, I'm hoping for someone else."

"Hey, I'm always great!" says Sam to everyone / no one ...

"So, Syd, buddy, pal ... What's it gonna take? You know I'm always good to owe you one."

"Swept it twice. You're not going to hurt my feelings if you do it again though."
"Okay great, that's what I expected given the impression I got of you. Now for what price will you do it?" she says with a smile.
"Everyone alright?" I ask focused on the people, not the machine. "That looks to be a dangerous thing to get, and not easy to do."
"Hey, I'm always great!" says Sam to everyone / no one ...

"So, Syd, buddy, pal ... What's it gonna take? You know I'm always good to owe you one."
Syd considers a bit and then says "Ace and I go a way back; he says you're all good and I know he's good for his word. I'll do it for a full share."

He thinks for a moment and then says "Just a minute," going to another room. He comes back with what appears to be two sweeper devices with handheld aerials. "Just to make sure we didn't get any nasty surprises." He mutters.

He takes Yoster up on his offer and hands one of the sweepers to him. "Take the rear of the vehicle." Then he starts going over the front of the vehicle with thoroughness and efficiency that impresses even you. He's obviously swept stuff before. You're still going over the vehicle when he finishes.

He says "Yep, it's clean."

He fetches a pallet lifter. You notice that the faraday cage has pallet mountings on it.

"Let's get this into the dead room."

Last edited:
"You're the man, Syd!" exclaims Sam, and steps up to help move things if he can.
Syd shows you the dead room - it takes about 4m x 4m in the corner of the building and it's two stories tall. You help him get the faraday cage onto the pallet lift and push it into the dead room.

Syd says "I'll need to do a bit of homework. This might take a day or two. I'll call you when I've got something."

Voros Voros, Séadna Séadna, Smith Smith, Fenris-77 Fenris-77, TheophilusCarter TheophilusCarter, Silverlion Silverlion -

OOC: Does anybody want do do something in the meantime?

"Whew, that's a hard day's work, folks! I say we grab drinks, do some scheming in the meantime. Who's buyin'?" Sam asks optimistically ...

Lola puts out feelers among her circle of hackers, former boss and brother to see if we can figure out who pulled the original job and for what possible wider purpose they'd have that tech.

'Let's get that cocktail while I wait to hear back...' I say to Sam.

"Whew, that's a hard day's work, folks! I say we grab drinks, do some scheming in the meantime. Who's buyin'?" Sam asks optimistically ...
Lola puts out feelers among her circle of hackers, former boss and brother to see if we can figure out who pulled the original job and for what possible wider purpose they'd have that tech.

'Let's get that cocktail while I wait to hear back...' I say to Sam.

There's a Nocturnes nearby, which affords 24hr nosh and a reasonable selection of grog. You could retire there, rest yourselves and get something to eat and drink.

Nocturnes.png

Lola sends out the encrypted msg to her contacts with a few taps on her cybertech and then puts her hand under Sam's arm to accompany him to Nocturnes.

"Right! Off for a bit of refreshment. Keep in touch Syd. Anything odd just let us know"
Lola sends out the encrypted msg to her contacts with a few taps on her cybertech and then puts her hand under Sam's arm to accompany him to Nocturnes.
It's a short distance down to Nocturnes. There is a car park out the back where you can park your motorbikes and other vehicles, although Yoster has been dispatched to find somewhere to hide the van.

Voros Voros - A couple of hours later you get a message back.

Somebody's overheard some police comms - there's a rumour that the police have arrested someone they think is associated with the robbery but it's unconfirmed. The source also thinks the others have either gone to ground or gotten offworld.

After I've found a solid place to stash the van I'll circle back to Nocturnes.

Sam is ready to head in and order a Chernobyl Sour with extra cherries. "So, any ideas? Next steps?"

Sam is ready to head in and order a Chernobyl Sour with extra cherries. "So, any ideas? Next steps?"
You sit down to enjoy your drink and some pub snacks. In a moment of consideration you think to put a couple of fingers of local Scotch on the tab for Yoster.

After I've found a solid place to stash the van I'll circle back to Nocturnes.
You know Madhi the watchman at the old ABV yard and occasionally pay him backhanders to store vehicles out of sight. After that you unobtrusively walk back to Nocturnes. Sam has gotten a whiskey for you and has been thoughtful enough to avoid Loch Lomond and find an almost-passable local Scotch-ish dram. You know he's heard you grumble about this stuff before but you also know it's probably the best you'll get here at Nocturnes.

ABVYard.png

"Danka for the right pick on the grog, Sam" say Yoster, raising his glass in salute. "So, ladies and gentlemen, what in the dark of the void are we going to do now?". Yoster takes a sip of his drink. "I'm still pretty keen on the idea of a frame job of some kind..."

Meanwhile, Yoster is famished and waves a server over. "I'll start with the Soto Betawi and cup of tea, and then the Babi Pangang with steamed rice, and an order of Bakso on the egg noodle".

Meanwhile, Yoster is famished and waves a server over. "I'll start with the Soto Betawi and cup of tea, and then the Babi Pangang with steamed rice, and an order of Bakso on the egg noodle".
A girl shows up - one of the college kids by the look of her - and takes your order. "Babi's off" she says - "We have Ayam Goreng or Kalio ..." She looks over her shoulder at a screen on the wall "Or satae Lapia Snail or the burger menu.", she says, pointing at another screen. "Would you like a side of veges or frits with that?"

Last edited:
"Nothing for me, young lady," responds Sam - not that she was asking - "Never eat and drink at the same time, that's my motto."

To Yoster: "The frame job is sounding interesting. Got anyone in mind?"

"Ayam Goreng is fine as long as the oil's clean, make it hot, and I'll have the frits, and a side of Sambal, thanks".

"Ayam Goreng is fine as long as the oil's clean, make it hot, and I'll have the frits, and a side of Sambal, thanks".
The server comes back a little while later with your order. It's pretty standard Nocturnes fare - mediocre but more-or-less edible. The sambal tastes like it's based on chicken liver but it's still fairly hot. It goes nicely on the soto and frits and the tea washes it down. You're feeling pretty good after that.

@Sam "Yeah, we have our own immediate problems that could be solved with a frame up, putting them in for doing what we're doing right now. Suvarov or the Yatu. Manufacture a little evidence, have the van and boxes found in the right place, spread a few rumors, I think it's doable. Kinda depends on what's in the boxes though." Yoster thinks for a second, "Depending on how easy the contents will be move quietly and safely I think our options might change a lot."

"If it's simple money or similar then a frame job sounds fine Yoster. As you said though let's wait to see the contents. They could be mind bowing" Espa says signalling for a drink.

"If it's simple money or similar then a frame job sounds fine Yoster. As you said though let's wait to see the contents. They could be mind bowing" Espa says signalling for a drink.
The server comes across and takes your order. "What would you like, Madame?," she asks.

OOC: There could be all manner of things in the boxes - time will tell.

"I was actually thinking that the more mind blowing the contents the more interested I might in having someone else take the blame."

"I was actually thinking that the more mind blowing the contents the more interested I might in having someone else take the blame."
"And maybe more interested in taking all of it for ourselves?" she says laughing.

The server comes across and takes your order. "What would you like, Madame?," she asks.

OOC: There could be all manner of things in the boxes - time will tell.
"I'll have a burger please. Any will do" she says to the server.

Smith Smith, Séadna Séadna, Voros Voros, TheophilusCarter TheophilusCarter, Silverlion Silverlion, Fenris-77 Fenris-77

"And maybe more interested in taking all of it for ourselves?" she says laughing.

"I'll have a burger please. Any will do" she says to the server.
The server taps something into her handcomp and then walks off; she comes back a few minutes later with a passably good burger - One thing Nocturnes can do reasonably well.
"Nothing for me, young lady," responds Sam - not that she was asking - "Never eat and drink at the same time, that's my motto."

To Yoster: "The frame job is sounding interesting. Got anyone in mind?"
You contemplate the job for a bit and then realise that it's nearly dawn and you're quite tired.

OOC: if you want to do anything in the meantime, speak out. Otherwise ...

Fast forward a few days and Sam gets a call from Syd. He's gotten one of the cases open.

Oh goody goody, let's see what big daddy crime got us for our birthday"

Sam contacts the rest of the crew, and makes arrangements to meet at Syd's whenever he's ready.

Smith Smith, Séadna Séadna, Voros Voros, TheophilusCarter TheophilusCarter, Silverlion Silverlion, Fenris-77 Fenris-77

Oh goody goody, let's see what big daddy crime got us for our birthday"
Sam contacts the rest of the crew, and makes arrangements to meet at Syd's whenever he's ready.
You all arrive at Syd's in fairly short order.

Syd has a burned out box on a workbench. He indicates it and says "Some of them are fitted with self-destruct devices. Unfortunately I lost one. Whatever it was, it just had papers in it."

"However," he continues, "It took a few days of poking at it, but I got this one open."

Inside the box are several items. Some bundles of cash, an envelope labelled "Last Will and Testament of Brig. Sir Trei Madubani", a card and passbook wallet for an account at a bank called "Sansha-Lillias Banking Corporation", several pieces of documentation for various business transactions.

Closer inspection suggests that the account for the pass card and book has about 100,000 Lillias creds, (worth about 75,000 Solars), in it. However, you would need to fake biometrics of someone authorised on the account to withdraw money from it.

The will is of very snarky wording, leaving money to several women who appear to be widows of officers killed in the line of duty, some assets to his wife, and items left to his P.A., some assets to his brother and some to one Sgt. Major Samidi Rocco, who appears to have been his colour sergeant.

The business documents are interesting. After a bit of examination, the late Brigadier seems to have been making a tidy living acting as a middle man in some rather shady arms deals. There's is also a handwritten note with an address in a Vetawa suburb and a name, plus some notes about a merchant vessel called the Cuore d'Oro.

Syd also slides a tablet across the table, showing a news article from a couple of days ago. It's an obituary of the late Brigadier, who seems to have died in a tragic accident. The obituary waxes lyrical about his military career and charitable works with the families of veterans. Syd has also bookmarked a couple of other items, both news articles about the tragic accident - the Brigadier and another gentleman were killed when their ground car was involved in an accident with a truck that lost control and crushed both of them. The accident was put down to human error on the part of an inexperienced truck driver.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back