S&V - The Outfit (IC thread)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
OOC: Groovy, back at'cha this evening, a bit more adulting to do today ...

Breaker breaker, we're at the clubhouse, come on back now...

Sam hears Yoster muttering ironically, but reminds him: "Hey, you know you can actually call them on one of those burner phones I got us last week ... "

*flashback effect* ... [OOC: Looking at the rules, let me know if I need to adjust this, anything I need to know about stress costs, creds, action rolls, etc.]

Last week, while shooting a few games at Jake's Pool Hall, Sam ran into Sneaky Pete, a small-time crook who doesn't quite have the smarts for his ambitions, but does have a talent to procure useful objects from time to time. "Peter!" Sam beams. "Last I saw you, we talked about you getting those, you know ... urner-bay one-phays ... Any luck?"

Sam hears Yoster muttering ironically, but reminds him: "Hey, you know you can actually call them on one of those burner phones I got us last week ... "

*flashback effect* ... [OOC: Looking at the rules, let me know if I need to adjust this, anything I need to know about stress costs, creds, action rolls, etc.]

Last week, while shooting a few games at Jake's Pool Hall, Sam ran into Sneaky Pete, a small-time crook who doesn't quite have the smarts for his ambitions, but does have a talent to procure useful objects from time to time. "Peter!" Sam beams. "Last I saw you, we talked about you getting those, you know ... urner-bay one-phays ... Any luck?"
We're getting something illegal, so 1 STRESS.

Pete says 'Sure, I know a guy ...'

A couple of days later he sidles up to you at the bar at Jake's and whispers "Got something for you - 180 creds. See me out back in 10 mins." He orders a drink from the bar then walks off.

You slip out the back entrance - You've known how to disable the fire alarm sensor for years - and meet Pete in the alley. He looks about, sees the alley is empty except for you and hands you a bag with six cheap handcomps (essentially smart phones) individually wrapped in plastic bags.

He says "They're clean. 30 credits each." (OOC: less than 2 CRED so you can afford it easily).

Last edited:
"Pete, you're my favorite, I don't care what anyone else says!" Sam hands him the money and takes possession of the burners. "Pleasure doin' business with you pal!"

"Pete, you're my favorite, I don't care what anyone else says!" Sam hands him the money and takes possession of the burners. "Pleasure doin' business with you pal!"
And thus concludes the flashback. Btw the party summary sheet lives here

That's an interesting onebox. I wonder if it can do that in editable mode.

[Back in the present ... ] "You still have that burner I gave you, yes?" Sam asks Yoster.

[Back in the present ... ] "You still have that burner I gave you, yes?" Sam asks Yoster.
Espa takes hers out.

"I still have mine at least. I think from the first call we should get some info on the people he thinks offed the Brigadier"

Voros Voros, Fenris-77 Fenris-77, Séadna Séadna, TheophilusCarter TheophilusCarter, Silverlion Silverlion, Smith Smith -

After a brief discussion you meet up back at the clubhouse.

OOC: Here's a summary of what you know so far -
  • The late brigadier was involved as a middle man in some shady arms deals. His colour sergeant, Sgt. Maj. Rocco (ret) was aware of his shenanigans to some extent but appeared not to be directly involved.
  • The sergeant appears to be working as a warden for the Brigadier's not inconsiderable estate, and lives in a building called 'The Annex'; a little examination of postal codes shows the Annex located on a property nearby the Brigadier's estate.
  • He also claims to know someone who has access to the Brigadier's account.
  • He is also of the view that Arjen can be bought off.
  • He thinks that there may have been foul play involved in the Brigadier's demise, as the other person killed (Jonatan Aleka-Paju) was one of the Brigadier's dodgy associates.
  • The Brigadier's nephew, one Arjen Maduani is some sort of bigwig in Naval Intelligence (NAVINT). He appears to have some but limited reach for domestic investigations.
  • The family is fairly close to some major movers and shakers in the political establishment.
  • Arjen, The Brigadier's Widow, the Sergeant and his P.A, plus various minor beneficiaries, are mentioned in the will; Arjen stands to inherit the largest portion.
  • Arjen and the Shora Kasugai, (The late Brigadier's P.A.) both clocked some of you when you went to view the body; Shora thinks Wawa may have been having an affair with the Brigadier.
  • Arjen is aware of the stolen box, having been asked to investigate it by the Brigadier's Lawyer.
  • There is a freighter called the Cuore d'Oro involved in this somehow.
  • The parcel you've just collected has instructions for a clandestine rendezvous on Casirim, an island to the south of Ilthar. It's still part of Nusantara, so there is no border between Ilthar and Casirim.
  • Casirim is relatively close to the Yasmun Archipelago, which is Cimmerian territory. Cimmeria has notoriously slack arms export legislation and is famously a source of illegal small arms throughout Nusantara and the region.
  • The Oasis Lounge and Port En Ete are preferred hangouts of Suvarov's crew.

Last edited:
"OK, one thing we need to do is establish some distance from the bank job. Oddly, most of the truth should serve, since we weren't in on it anyway. My thought there would be to claim that we interrupted some kind of deal at a tech contact's place, he was dead an a pair of goons jetted out the back when we came in. There were a handful of boxes in the back under a tarp (the four we have open), so we grabbed them and made legs. We obviously have no idea about a fara-whatsit cage or anything else. I think we probably put someone else in the frame for stealing the van originally." says Yoster.

Espa leans in to Sam and Yoster.

"Think we should find out more about this Cuore d'Oro ship?"

OOC: Cross game continuity Nobby I noticed
You're right in the middle of Startown, so spending a couple of evenings hanging out in free trader bars in the Central Startown area nets you some broad goss about the Cuore d'Oro:

The Cuore d'Oro is an old Fraternity class hauler, one of the last built and long since freehold. The owner and captain are well known, colloquially referred to as as Roz and Andy in free trader circles - nobody ever seems to refer to them as anything else. According to the grapevine they've been the owners of the Cuore d'Oro for half a century and have been an item for most of that time.

They're quite well known, fixtures in the free trader scene and active in one of the major free trader guilds (the Independent Merchants' Association) and are Cyriates (native to Cyrus). In the past, they have been quite vocal in their support for independence, and there was a rumoured incident where the RoSaS (A Commonwealth external security agency) attempted to sabotage their ship.

They are rumoured to be smugglers, although this is pretty common in free trader circles. There are also rumours that they're involved in providing support to pro-separatist militant groups on Cyrus.

"OK, one thing we need to do is establish some distance from the bank job. Oddly, most of the truth should serve, since we weren't in on it anyway. My thought there would be to claim that we interrupted some kind of deal at a tech contact's place, he was dead an a pair of goons jetted out the back when we came in. There were a handful of boxes in the back under a tarp (the four we have open), so we grabbed them and made legs. We obviously have no idea about a fara-whatsit cage or anything else. I think we probably put someone else in the frame for stealing the van originally." says Yoster.

'Good to have a backstory but let's not share it unless pressed,' I say.

'So do we head to the rendevous, scout the ship or visit the Oasis to see if we can find out more?'

'Good to have a backstory but let's not share it unless pressed,' I say.

'So do we head to the rendevous, scout the ship or visit the Oasis to see if we can find out more?'
"No, not at all, but we should be able to tell the same simple story in a pinch" replies Yoster. "As for what to do, the rendezvous is actual business - contacts and income, so I'd be for that first. We have to do both though, so whatever the crew wants. One asshole one vote, right?" Yoster grins and puts himself another whiskey.

OCC: So we need an approach, and maybe some leverage for this meeting. A couple of things occur to me. One, we need to decide exactly what stuff from the box we're handing over, we do need some kind of distance from the actual heist (see above) and we need to think a little but about tradecraft and security. Arjen clocked three of us at the funeral, so maybe those three shouldn't show face at the meeting. We perimeter security for the meet anyway, so that's probably ok. Perhaps we want to look at electronic and physical security for the meetsite to see if there's something we can do to tilt the odds in our favor. I know Yoster would feel better if he knew Brun was covering with a long gun, for example, or that we had some electronic fingers into security and surveillance at the site.

On a related note, we should probably figure out what we want here. I guess the plan is to hand over the will and some other documents as a goodwill gesture? Are we trying to make a friend, or just keep the heat off? IDK...

[ . . . ]
On a related note, we should probably figure out what we want here. I guess the plan is to hand over the will and some other documents as a goodwill gesture? Are we trying to make a friend, or just keep the heat off? IDK...
OOC: Keeping the heat off is a minimum, but beyond that it's hard to see what else you might have to offer him right now - so the only likely outcome in the short term is to keep him from making trouble for you. To speculate:
  • To get him off your back you have to be perceived as not-a-threat and preferably someone he owes a favour to.
  • He probably has access to his own muscle if he needs that, so he's unlikely to want to employ you as assets.
  • You might be able to sell information to him, but establishing that relationship would take time and under the circumstances is not the best way to approach him right now. You could initiate it later on by turning up with something reasonably impressive - that didn't involve his late uncle - enough times for him to view you as someone worth cultivating a long-term relationship with.
  • OTOH, You could get on his radar and make an antagonist of him.
  • if you piss him off, you've just incurred the wrath of a major security agency.

Voros Voros, Séadna Séadna, Smith Smith, Silverlion Silverlion, Fenris-77 Fenris-77, TheophilusCarter TheophilusCarter -

OCC: So we need an approach, and maybe some leverage for this meeting. A couple of things occur to me. One, we need to decide exactly what stuff from the box we're handing over, we do need some kind of distance from the actual heist (see above) and we need to think a little but about tradecraft and security. Arjen clocked three of us at the funeral, so maybe those three shouldn't show face at the meeting. We perimeter security for the meet anyway, so that's probably ok. Perhaps we want to look at electronic and physical security for the meetsite to see if there's something we can do to tilt the odds in our favor. I know Yoster would feel better if he knew Brun was covering with a long gun, for example, or that we had some electronic fingers into security and surveillance at the site.

Can we agree on the plan, and then we can move to an engagement roll.

OCC: I'm fine with a gift of the documents and some polite conversation. Maybe he's an asset later, maybe not, but i don't see any profit in rubbing his rhubarb. Social approach with some solid security in reserve would be my vote. Sorta We found these documents, they belong to you, and we decided on the balance that simply returning them was the best option... ?

OCC: I'm fine with a gift of the documents and some polite conversation. Maybe he's an asset later, maybe not, but i don't see any profit in rubbing his rhubarb. Social approach with some solid security in reserve would be my vote. Sorta We found these documents, they belong to you, and we decided on the balance that simply returning them was the best option... ?
I'm cool with that.

I'd rather ask for some $$ in exchange, that's how blackmail works but if everyone else wants to go for the long game I'm fine with that.

Voros Voros, Séadna Séadna, Smith Smith, Silverlion Silverlion, Fenris-77 Fenris-77, TheophilusCarter TheophilusCarter

Engagement roll: 2D6 = (6, 4). You are in a CONTROLLED position.

Smith Smith, Silverlion Silverlion and Voros Voros are casing the joint; there is a large forested area behind the annex; you infiltrated the area early and have managed to secret yourself in it. One of you can watch the Annex, one can watch the road, and one can watch either the Estate or cover the rest of the party.

Séadna Séadna, TheophilusCarter TheophilusCarter and Fenris-77 Fenris-77 are going into the Annex to meet the Sgt. Major. You drive up and get out of the ground car. Rocco greets you cordially and invites you in.

There is a rover - presumably belonging to Rocco, and two other ground cars. Incongruously, one is a sports car, a Cristi.Annex.png

I keep an eye on the road. If it exists and is relatively safe I will try and hack into the local camera/security for the surrounding neighbourhood.

I'll play driver and body guard, walking a step behind Sam and looking alert but unconcerned.

"I'm going to keep an eye on the estate, do be careful!" I alert the others. "I don't want to try and patch up unnecesary bullet holes."

Espa will similarly look nonchalant and submit to being searched if asked. She'll take a quick scope of the Annex as she approaches. Floors, general appearance, etc.

Sam steps up confidently, fully expecting to be searched at some point, and planning on coopering.
I'll play driver and body guard, walking a step behind Sam and looking alert but unconcerned.
Espa will similarly look nonchalant and submit to being searched if asked. She'll take a quick scope of the Annex as she approaches. Floors, general appearance, etc.
You drive up to the Annex. It's a two story house of an architectural style that suggests it's about a century old, and appears to be of reinforced concrete construction. There are a couple of other out-buildings and a gravel driveway out the front of the building.

Rocco is waiting for you and greets you cordially. He gestures you to enter the house, and appears to make a point of brushing aside his jacket to briefly show a gauss pistol, a well worn P40 by the look of it. It's a gesture to show you that he's on the level, and expects you to behave the same - ready for trouble but not out to start it.

He offers you refreshments - coffee or various beverages including a bottle of Singularity 12 year (a nice Karresish Whiskey), of which he pours himself a glass, and says:

"I'll get to the point. Arjen knows about the stolen box, but there are quite a few of the Brigadier's papers on file here at the Annex, and we can convince him that the will was here all along.

The invoices and other items are a bit harder to explain away. You'll have to convince him that they were sold to you or something like that."

He pauses to let that settle for a few seconds, and then gets up and walks out of the room. Shortly after, he comes back with a woman in her thirties. He introduces her as Shora Kasugai, the late Brigadier's personal assistant.

She greets you politely, and then says "I believe you have a pass card for the Brigadier's account. Can I take a look at it please?"

Last edited:
I keep an eye on the road. If it exists and is relatively safe I will try and hack into the local camera/security for the surrounding neighbourhood.
"I'm going to keep an eye on the estate, do be careful!" I alert the others. "I don't want to try and patch up unnecesary bullet holes."
OOC: I'll assume that Smith Smith is keeping an eye out in the forested area behind the Annex.

OCC: I'm going to let Sam take the lead here. While he's formulating a response I'll focus on Rocco and Shora - body language, tone, that sort of thing to see if I can decide if they're giving off any bad vibes

OCC: I'm going to let Sam take the lead here. While he's formulating a response I'll focus on Rocco and Shora - body language, tone, that sort of thing to see if I can decide if they're giving off any bad vibes
OOC: They appear to be on the level - they've got something you want, you've got something they want and appear to be trying to work together with you to make a few bob. Rocco wants a share of the account, and thinks Shora is the key to it as she has authority on it. Shora will no doubt want a share as well. They appear to view this as a win-win situation and don't seem to be expecting you to do anything rash.

Espa will do a quick visual check around the room for cameras while Sam starts talking.

Espa will do a quick visual check around the room for cameras while Sam starts talking.
You noticed a security camera outside the door, and another in the entry hall, but there doesn't appear to be any in the lounge that you're in now.

She greets you politely, and then says "I believe you have a pass card for the Brigadier's account. Can I take a look at it please?"
"Sure thing," replies Sam. He snaps his fingers at Yoster. "Be a good lad and show the lady the pass card."

"Sure thing," replies Sam. He snaps his fingers at Yoster. "Be a good lad and show the lady the pass card."
Shora takes a look at the card and says "Yes, this the account." The thinks for a few seconds and says "Shall we discuss shares then?"

OOC: Since Sam seems to be hanging back before he takes the negotiating lead, I'll start.

"Why certainly, what sort of arrangement do you have in mind?" says Yoster. "We considered some other options, viable options, but in the balance this seemed to be the friendliest way to approach things. Who doesn't need friends who understand each other?"

OOC: Dude, I posted less than an hour before you did ... But by all means! :grin:
OCC: Sorry, I missed your post. :grin: I think I failed to refresh properly or something. Anyway, we're on the same page. We'll go with your post as canon.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back