Savage Worlds Pathfinder Adventure Paths

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
It occurs to me while I was ill - I had time to skim through Rippers and my first thought was much I didn't really care much for the Plot Point campaign. It wasn't that I didn't think it wasn't interesting, but your point about the linearity of it grated on my sensibilities. I appreciated having all the NPC's and their organizations stat-blocked etc. But I've always been enamored with the world of Rippers itself. It is tantalizing to me because of what I can do with it by implication.

It has a LOT of lovely sub-systems (Lodges), and of course the Rippertech and horror aspects. I always wanted (and will at some point) run a Rippers/Deadlands hybrid game.

But yeah - the plotpoint was ehhhhhh

Wait, Rise of the Runelords? Is that the deliverance themed AP?

There is one chapter that has a strong “Deliverance” overtone. Ogres in Pathfinder are pretty horrific.

That looks pretty interesting from a campaign node viewpoint. Is it a good campaign in play?

I'm pretty fond of it. The main thing to remember with most plot point campaigns though is that most of the adventures aren't super fleshed out. Some get more details than others, but some can just be a basic plot hook, where you encounter it, and some stats for NPCs involved.

So it really is very dependent on a GM to flesh it out.

I do think both the Sundered Skies one and the 50 Fathoms one have a lot of cool ideas in them though.

It occurs to me while I was ill - I had time to skim through Rippers and my first thought was much I didn't really care much for the Plot Point campaign. It wasn't that I didn't think it wasn't interesting, but your point about the linearity of it grated on my sensibilities. I appreciated having all the NPC's and their organizations stat-blocked etc. But I've always been enamored with the world of Rippers itself. It is tantalizing to me because of what I can do with it by implication.

It has a LOT of lovely sub-systems (Lodges), and of course the Rippertech and horror aspects. I always wanted (and will at some point) run a Rippers/Deadlands hybrid game.

But yeah - the plotpoint was ehhhhhh

Honestly, I hesitate to even call the one in Rippers a Plot Point Campaign. It doesn't feel like it has any of the hallmarks of what makes a plot point campaign a plot point campaign.

(I also was not fond of it, which sucked because I thought the rest of the material was good and the concept was cool).

50 Fathoms Plot Point is very expansive. There is a ton of room for any enterprise GM to go offroading as much as they like, while giving them mechanisms to push the urgency of the plot as needed.

I've never run it - but I've read it a few times and definitely appreciated it. Plus the setting is awesome! It's like Ravenloft... except instead of Gothic horror - you have Pirates of the Caribbean with more magic.

Yep, I just think that Savage Worlds wants more iconic settings to sell their brand in. Pathfinder may seem a little left-field, but its no different really for Savage Worlds doing Rifts. Both give SW a known setting that fits with their brand themes of 'fast, furious, fun'.

Not for me, though. If they did something like Legends of the Five Rings or 7th Sea for Savage Worlds, I’d be more interested.

I also think SW has a slight marketing issue, at the moment, that so many of their supplements and third party supplements are not up to date with their current edition.

Yeah I know Triple Ace plans to do a SWADE version of Hellfrost, but they have zero plans for a new Sundered Skies. And Sundered Skies is for Explorer's edition (with an update doc for Deluxe).

Yep, I just think that Savage Worlds wants more iconic settings to sell their brand in. Pathfinder may seem a little left-field, but its no different really for Savage Worlds doing Rifts. Both give SW a known setting that fits with their brand themes of 'fast, furious, fun'.

It's of great benefit to Pinnacle to do this because it shows the scale of their system in conjunction with using well known settings to showcase it. In this case it will cause the rising tide of new players to lift all the boats in the SWADE sea (ideally). There has been enough time from 3e D&D to 5e D&D where a lot of those players that entered the hobby will be looking for new stuff/systems but not be wanting to drift too far from their home roots. Rifts, now Pathfinder facilitates that. And its a win/win for everyone.

Not for me, though. If they did something like Legends of the Five Rings or 7th Sea for Savage Worlds, I’d be more interested.

100% with you on this. 7th Sea and LotFR are ***perfect*** for Savage Worlds. Granted SW already has a superb setting for pirate-fare - 7th Sea is still distinct enough to carve its own space, especially given that SWADE is practically a blank slate in that arena. 5 Rings? That's just a money-machine waiting to be turned on if they could get the license. If anything should dispel people's doubt about Savage Worlds (and of course it's not perfect) - it's the fact that Savage Rifts has found a lot of classic Palladium Rifts players getting on board. And few games have tribalists as hardcore as Palladium nerdzerkers (I might put Warhammer fans over them), and the two systems couldn't be further apart in design or complexity. It's not the system itself that's winning them - it's the fidelity the system does to the original material.

I think that's the core strength of Savage Worlds. I already know it can chew up Pathfinder, so it'll be good to get more eyes and hands on Savage World using familiar settings where the system can showcase itself to both players on each side of the fence.

I also think SW has a slight marketing issue, at the moment, that so many of their supplements and third party supplements are not up to date with their current edition.

Yeah. I'm not certain it may not be a better thing to let these larger settings heat things up a bit more? I could be wrong. Once the meathooks get in, I'm sure the curiosity of more in-house Savage Worlds settings might get a lot more traction. But that said - those developers should be making that SWADE conversion right now. Hellfrost is a must. I hope Beasts and Barbarians does an actual SWADE edition too... but I'm no so certain.

Is Golarion an iconic setting? I always saw it asthe typical “kitchen sink” setting.

“ Egyptland is over here, snd here we have Vikingland and over here is Oriental-Adventures-land and....”

Maybe it’s been around long enough so that’s iconic?

I think the idea is great insofar as attracting new players to the Savage Worlds ruleset. I guess in my PF1e experience I’ve always seen Golarion as pretty meh.

Reactions: TJS
Is Golarion an iconic setting? I always saw it asthe typical “kitchen sink” setting.

“ Egyptland is over here, snd here we have Vikingland and over here is Oriental-Adventures-land and....”

Maybe it’s been around long enough so that’s iconic?

I think the idea is great insofar as attracting new players to the Savage Worlds ruleset. I guess in my PF1e experience I’ve always seen Golarion as pretty meh.
Well, it's a setting brand, at least, that Savage Worlds wants to tap into.

I'm pretty fond of it. The main thing to remember with most plot point campaigns though is that most of the adventures aren't super fleshed out. Some get more details than others, but some can just be a basic plot hook, where you encounter it, and some stats for NPCs involved.

So it really is very dependent on a GM to flesh it out.

I do think both the Sundered Skies one and the 50 Fathoms one have a lot of cool ideas in them though.

Yeah, most PPCs are really just skeletons. Which I love. I use that open space to hang the meat of my characters' lives and subplots on.

I've ran two PPCs: Necessary Evil and currently running ETU...and NE is the best campaign I ever ran and ETU may top it.

In my experience, it's really easy to use adventures written for other editions in SW. Stat blocks are pretty much the same across editions.

This, one million percent. I've ran all the 12 to Midnight adventures in my ETU campaign, and those were from when weapon bonuses to damage was flat pluses and not dice.

Ridiculously easy to do if you understand anything about Savage Worlds.

I wish the Earthdawn Savage Worlds would have been better done. Would love to see a 2nd edition done with SWADE by a competent author.

I won't pick on that one specifically, because I haven't read it, but there's been more than a few books put out by people who barely understood Savage Worlds and figured out there was a fanbase starved for content a few years ago.

Damn, kickstarters can be expensive. $300 for everything print. Though ~250 people have already gone for that. Everything digital is $75. I'm not sure if I want everything digitally or just the core book.

Digital rewards are this April, so they must already be done with the writing.

Waaay too expensive for my blood. Going all digital I guess. That $50 + shipping hardback core book is rough for 256 pages.

Their business model has certainly changed in recent years.

$300:closed:

Last edited:
Backed at the digital gm level. I’m down for the corebook and bestiary, I don’t really care about Runelords at the moment.

Waaay too expensive for my blood. Going all digital I guess. That $50 + shipping hardback core book is rough for 256 pages.

I mean, it is 8 books.

plus the bells and whistles.

But living that VTT life, I don’t need shit in print, so digital it is for me.

7th Sea and L5R with ways to make Savage Worlds rules reflect the different Fencing Schools and Martial Arts would be awesome. A game that takes the unique 7th Sea and L5R content and shoehorns it into existing Savage World rules (ie, how they did everything before Savage Rifts) would be worthless.

Yeah, most PPCs are really just skeletons. Which I love. I use that open space to hang the meat of my characters' lives and subplots on.

I've ran two PPCs: Necessary Evil and currently running ETU...and NE is the best campaign I ever ran and ETU may top it.

This, one million percent. I've ran all the 12 to Midnight adventures in my ETU campaign, and those were from when weapon bonuses to damage was flat pluses and not dice.

Ridiculously easy to do if you understand anything about Savage Worlds.
The problem with a Plot Point Campaign is just that, it’s a skeleton. Who needs an outline of an adventure? If I have to fill in NPCs, Maps and lots of background stuff, what the hell am I paying Pinnacle for, an idea? Ideas are like opinions and assholes, everyone has them and most of them stink. It‘s the execution of the idea as a runnable scenario that they should be selling.

The problem with a Plot Point Campaign is just that, it’s a skeleton. Who needs an outline of an adventure? If I have to fill in NPCs, Maps and lots of background stuff, what the hell am I paying Pinnacle for, an idea? Ideas are like opinions and assholes, everyone has them and most of them stink. It‘s the execution of the idea as a runnable scenario that they should be selling.

I can't speak to the plot points structure as well, as I am usually a player when we do savage worlds, but I can say most of the Savage Worlds books I have are quite good quality and have been worth the purchases for sure.

I'm not interested in backing cause I want to hear what people think about the way the rules are implemented before I buy. That said, if it does sound interesting at that point, I could see myself getting the core book and the bestiary.

7th Sea and L5R with ways to make Savage Worlds rules reflect the different Fencing Schools and Martial Arts would be awesome. A game that takes the unique 7th Sea and L5R content and shoehorns it into existing Savage World rules (ie, how they did everything before Savage Rifts) would be worthless.

Pirates of the Spanish Main specifically had different fencing schools in it. I didn’t own the book, so I can’t speak to the implementation, but they were there.

I'm not interested in backing cause I want to hear what people think about the way the rules are implemented before I buy. That said, if it does sound interesting at that point, I could see myself getting the core book and the bestiary.

Back when I was one of the cool kids, I would have had a manuscript to review already.

Pirates of the Spanish Main specifically had different fencing schools in it. I didn’t own the book, so I can’t speak to the implementation, but they were there.

That was the first Savage Worlds book I got and the one that piqued my interest in the system (which is what eventually led me to find a local savage worlds group). I thought that book was great for the time. If I recall it came out at the height of the d20 boom, and it just felt so much more full and flavorful than a lot of the material I was buying by the bucket load. The art was great, the setting material was wonderful. I can't comment on the mechanics as much because it is actually one of the Savage Worlds books I've had the least table time with (just proved harder to get a pirate campaign off the ground than I thought). But it definitely made an impact on me.

They’ve figured out there’s fuckton of money to be made these days off Lifestyle Geeks who buy stuff as an identity signifier. Also super-elite platinum-priced stuff like Matthew Lillard’s Beadle and Grimm versions of D&D is a wealth status symbol and the new midlife crisis purchase. Which is fine, let the rich do rich. The problem is when you get an outfit like Frog God charge ridiculous prices for everything, not just the collector stuff.

I’m gonna guess Paizo either had a steep licensing fee or is taking a cut off the top, too.

I mean, it is 8 books.

plus the bells and whistles.

But living that VTT life, I don’t need shit in print, so digital it is for me.

Yup.

From my perspective (and more importantly, my wife’s perspective) $300 for 8, very thin, books and some puff-filler archetypes, bennies, oversized deck of cards etc. is a rough sell.

Wallet sizes vary, of course.

Rise of the Runelord adventures: 80-96 pages each.
Rules 256 pages.
Bestiary “over 100” pages
Adventure in gm screen 32 pages.

I bet you are right about that licensing fee....

Last edited:
Yup.

From my perspective (and more importantly, my wife’s perspective) $300 for 8, very thin, books and some puff-filler archetypes, bennies, oversized deck of cards etc. is a rough sell.

All my purchases have to go through the wife justification process, so I can understand this. Individually it would probably be easier but having to commit to all of them, does make it a bigger purchase.

Yup.

Wallet sizes vary, of course.

There’s a few reasons I only went digital (and I’m not sold on needing the campaign, but I do very much want the core and bestiary in my collection).

All my purchases have to go through the wife justification process, so I can understand this. Individually it would probably be easier but having to commit to all of them, does make it a bigger purchase.

Well, it’s not like this stuff won’t be available after the Kickstarter, either. Pinnacle has never Kickstarted something that didn’t get a public release.

Well, it’s not like this stuff won’t be available after the Kickstarter, either. Pinnacle has never Kickstarted something that didn’t get a public release.

I think that makes a major difference. Usually I just wait until after the kickstarter anyways to buy stuff.

Yeah, those books are probably Pinnacle sized books. A 256 hardbound, 6 80-96 page softbounds, and whatever the Bestiary is at Pinnacle size ain’t worth 300. Even GW would be coming in at 250 for that, and GW uses full size. A significant part of the cost is all the widgets and swag.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back