Sci-fi Military Life Path Character Gen

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Necrozius

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Oof that's a long Topic Title.

I want to run a short campaign with Savage Worlds. The PCs are going to be squad members in a setting akin to Starship Troopers (book OR movie) or Warhammer 40K's Imperial Guard.

The thing is, I want to skip the boot-camp, fresh recruits bonding sessions and handle all of that in Session Zero using a life path mini-game or something.

I would like the players to define their character's key experiences, how they bonded, how they ended up in their roles, where they got their scars etc...

Does anyone know of a resource or game that has such a thing for such a specific genre?

I really like Beyond the Wall and, theoretically, whatever I've heard of Traveller's system.

Thanks!

EDIT: while the system is Savage Worlds, I more want to generate background fluff and character traits rather than stats. Some of this system could guide player choices on abilities, though.

Lifepath character generation for Savage Worlds is an interesting idea.

Savage Rifts dips its toes into it with the Hero's Journey tables.

I'll see if I can sketch something tonight when I get home. :smile:

Do you want random tables? Standard starting PC array?

Lifepath character generation for Savage Worlds is an interesting idea.

Savage Rifts dips its toes into it with the Hero's Journey tables.

I'll see if I can sketch something tonight when I get home. :smile:

Do you want random tables? Standard starting PC array?

G'ah I forgot about Savage Rifts! Gotta have a closer look at that. They're in the Player's Guide, right?

I suppose random tables are good. Unless there are other innovative ways to do life-path character gen out there.

I guess I'm wondering if any other military RPGs out there have something like this to handle bootcamp.

Mongoose Traveller 1e has about my favorite life path system of chargen with life event and mishap tables, which are good for forming connections with other player's characters.

I'm very curious about it: Traveller is legendary. Do you know if it has a more militaristic-themed part of the life path?

Sure, Traveller Book IV Mercenary and Book V have advanced character creation and rules for military campaigns and Striker has rules for miniatures battles.

Traveller V has advanced character creation as core but is waiting on a much needed errata and clarification update.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back