Scum and Villainy in-character (IC) thread.

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
640
Reaction score
1,038
Steevo hears "Jump back outsystem" and his tension drains away. Ahh Space.

He queries the rest of the group, "Are we done on this planet for now? If we jump out and sneak in that will confuse them enough that they might forget about the hospital stuff."
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
6,041
Reaction score
8,568
Twitch has remained in his disguised location keeping a lookout for anyone else who might be out of place.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
2,997
Steevo hears "Jump back outsystem" and his tension drains away. Ahh Space.

He queries the rest of the group, "Are we done on this planet for now? If we jump out and sneak in that will confuse them enough that they might forget about the hospital stuff."
@Stan, @Séadna, @RuinZealot, @Bunch, @Smith -
Derryl looks at you and says "I think this can be done and I'm willing to cut you in for a share. That's 20%. Are you in?"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,818
Reaction score
3,983
"So if we jump in and out, land at your site and camo the ship, how long after landing until the items are onboard our ship? Also what do you expect the sale price to be? 20% of what are we getting here?"
 
Last edited:

Smith

Legendary Member
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
424
Reaction score
499
"Well, aside from us needing to do some legwork which is perfectly warranted, you're also keeping us on retainer for not doing other substantial work out of system if this is going to take weeks to get in motion. 20% seems a little low for that to cover our entire crew's additions to this gig."
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
2,997
"So if we jump in and out, land at your site and camo the ship, how long after landing until the items are onboard our ship? Also what do you expect the sale price to be? 20% of what are we getting here?"
@Stan, @Séadna, @RuinZealot, @Bunch, @Smith -

Derryl replies "It's hard to value but the estimates are that the complete set of statues would go for somewhere in the region of 100 million once we can get them clear of any legal entanglements - which means getting them certified offworld. The minor stuff from the site will probably sell for another million or so.

We're going to need you to help with the expedition. The number of people here that could be trusted not to sell the whole shooting match out can be counted on the fingers on one hand. Stel is one - he owes me a big favour and we can buy him off. Anvil and a couple of others can do the dig work. We're going to need some security and site work, and I'm offering you a full share to make it worth your while. Stel can be trusted to mind your ship and the sites I have in mind have places that can be concealed from recon sats and the mountains are very iron-rich, which will mask the ship from magnetic and gravimetric sensors.

Cataloging the site and packing the statues and minor items is going to take a few weeks. After that we've got to get them across country to a rendezvous point that you can get your ship into - one that's outside the ATC radar coverage. I know ZU class ships come with CG systems so we can land pretty much anywhere in the desert. ATC radar coverage stops about 700km south of the mountains and we can pick a location there."

OOC: You get the distinct impression that Derryl has done this sort of thing before.

@Smith -
Derryl looks at you and says "It's a full share. There are four other players - Elgin's grand daughter, Lar and myself, and Hatten, who put up the money for the original survey work. Depending on what they go for, I'm expecting a share to net something in the region of 20 million. That's more than your ship is worth.

We did think about getting a ship of our own, but we need a good crew, and you came recommended. You know your reference said 'They know what they're doing, they're good in a tight spot and they're not above getting their hands dirty.'"
 
Last edited:

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
640
Reaction score
1,038
"Hey, I'm ok with 1/5 of a big number for transport. The finders deserve their share."

Steevo looks around at the crew. "Are we ok with this? I don't like standing around in the dirt with a target on my back."
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
6,041
Reaction score
8,568
Assuming Twitch still hasn't seen anything out of the ordinary he'll get up join the group at the table.

"We doing this?" He asks Steevo
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,818
Reaction score
3,983
"Seems more than fair to me" Ida replies.

"However the civilization who carved these, what was their rough level of technology? Any security devices we might expect to atomise us?"
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
2,997
"Seems more than fair to me" Ida replies.

"However the civilization who carved these, what was their rough level of technology? Any security devices we might expect to atomise us?"
@Séadna, @RuinZealot, @Bunch, @Smith, @Stan -

Derryl looks uncomfortable for a moment: "Their technology was a sort of highly sophisticated bronze age but they were .. adept .. in the Way. I understand that you are a mystic yourself?"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,818
Reaction score
3,983
Derryl looks uncomfortable for a moment: "Their technology was a sort of highly sophisticated bronze age but they were .. adept .. in the Way. I understand that you are a mystic yourself?"
"I am...this both excites and worries me. The Way is manifold in its manifestations. This is both part of its beauty and a danger for the manner in which this race weaved the Way may have granted them abilities unique to themselves. Are there any writings they left behind related to Waycraft that I might study?"
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
2,997
"I am...this both excites and worries me. The Way is manifold in its manifestations. This is both part of its beauty and a danger for the manner in which this race weaved the Way may have granted them abilities unique to themselves. Are there any writings they left behind related to Waycraft that I might study?"
@Séadna, @RuinZealot, @Bunch, @Smith, @Stan -

"There are some fragmentary records. Most organic material is largely disintegrated as the extinction event was 700,000 years ago. Any lingusitic analysis is based on a small amount of fossilised or preserved material and some embedded inscriptions. There is a bit of translated literature but not a lot. There are a few artifacts that have been found that are infused with some residual charge of essential energy but again, not many.

I understand you've met Sutra Mishra. One of her colleagues, Engel Navathe, published several translations of works and analysis of signage and other inscriptions. There is a small amount that appears to be on the subject of applied mysticism but it's very fragmentary and if I recall correctly only some of it has been speculatively translated. He would be a good place to start.

Elgin's diary refers to several of his crew seeing an apparition and one (who claimed to be a sensitive) feeling some entity in the continuum, but he does't go into a lot of detail."
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,818
Reaction score
3,983
"Alright, well I certainly agree to this job.

I'll just look into this Way stuff a bit more myself before we get going. I'll get in contact with Navathe. I assume Elgin's diary is available somewhere? Relevant parts published maybe for academic reasons?"
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
2,997
"Alright, well I certainly agree to this job.

I'll just look into this Way stuff a bit more myself before we get going. I'll get in contact with Navathe. I assume Elgin's diary is available somewhere? Relevant parts published maybe for academic reasons?"
"The diary was published about 60 years ago and was a bestseller. It's still in print; you can buy it in bookshops. I've got a copy you can read. Sutra can put you in touch with Navathe, and she can get you a subscriber membership to the university library, which will have pretty much everything that has been translated.

Remember, this find is on a strictly need-to-know basis and Navathe doesn't need to know."
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
640
Reaction score
1,038
"Hmm, maybe we should start with grabbing a copy of the book, paying cash, on the way off planet. Special library membership might make someone curious and start looking at what we're reading."
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
6,041
Reaction score
8,568
"I like the idea of getting offworld. Get. Couple copies of the book. Any reason we couldn't just steal books from the library? " Twitch asks
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
2,997
"I like the idea of getting offworld. Get. Couple copies of the book. Any reason we couldn't just steal books from the library? " Twitch asks
OOC: Wonderfully skeezy. I like the cut of your jib.

Derryl does a bit of a double take and says "The library will be able to provide electronic copies of the translations and the originals. I think Sutra can organise that on your behalf."
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
640
Reaction score
1,038
Steevo looks mildly shocked. Theft and violence are often necessary. Illegal drugs are just part of Twitch's character. But libraries?

"Uh, aside from the fact that libraries are the one government service that I like. They're the holy archivists of knowledge. It's also a simple matter of risk vs. gain. If we grab it ourselves it will be another eye on us."

ooc: edit as Nobby-W was posting at the same time.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
6,041
Reaction score
8,568
Y experience is libraries are about as hard to steal from as taking candy from a baby. Look man I'm not saying we keep them I'm just saying stealing them keeps them being listed as checked out. It's not like people go and check the stacks daily to see what's gone. Take em. Look at em of copy them and then drop them back off." Twich replies wondering if these folks are prepared for the life they've chosen.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
640
Reaction score
1,038
Take em. Look at em of copy them and then drop them back off." Twich replies wondering if these folks are prepared for the life they've chosen.
ooc: in college, there would be many stories of people who would take books critical for classes and move them. No one else could access them, it didn't show on their record, there was no risk of getting caught for stealing as they didn't leave the library, and were hard to find when misplaced in a million book library.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,818
Reaction score
3,983
"I'll take that copy of the diary and then we can get off world. I can contact Navathe when we get back before we head on the expedition"

OOC: Nobby would a flashback be a sensible way to handle this, i.e. if I see Way trickery or something else at the site related to the Way mentioned in these translated texts can I do a flashback to getting in touch with Navathe or being in the library and reading it? Avoiding going through the motions now.

Just asking to get a general feel for how the system is supposed to work.
 

Smith

Legendary Member
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
424
Reaction score
499
Quiet since his attempt at re-negotiation was shot down, Kal begins heading back towards the rover and shrugs. "Get the book, don't get the book, we can discuss on the way. Let's just get off planet for now."
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
2,997
"I'll take that copy of the diary and then we can get off world. I can contact Navathe when we get back before we head on the expedition"

OOC: Nobby would a flashback be a sensible way to handle this, i.e. if I see Way trickery or something else at the site related to the Way mentioned in these translated texts can I do a flashback to getting in touch with Navathe or being in the library and reading it? Avoiding going through the motions now.

Just asking to get a general feel for how the system is supposed to work.
@Séadna, @RuinZealot, @Bunch, @Smith, @Stan -

OOC: You can get a copy of the diary from a bookshop easily enough. From what Derryl says, you can probably ask Sutra to arrange getting electronic versions of the translated texts from the library; he gives the impression that there are some collections of them available in electronic form. She can send them to you - you have mailboxes on Denaspar, Isinor and Freeside Station at Ezra's Belt. Derryl has implied that he can arrange that. I'll assume that you've asked him and he's confirmed that.

We could do it as a zero cost flashback or just assume you've done it now, which would get some basic information; more extended research at the library might reveal something better but is a bit large for a flashback - more like an engagement in its own right. You might, for example, want to conceal your identity and do it incognito.

The idea of a flashback is that when you encounter something then you can flashback and retcon some preparation for it; you do it for things that you didn't know at the start of the engagement. If you're saying that you want to do some research then it's not responding in media res to something you didn't anticipate at the start.

The main cost for doing some research into translations of alien texts about the Way would be taking the time to do some research - the mental image I have of it is something like researching arcane texts in a Call of Cthulhu game. It's worth bearing in mind that you have some downtime coming up, which is an appropriate time to do that sort of research.
 
Last edited:

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,818
Reaction score
3,983
While on the way back to the ship Ida gets a copy of the diary in some local bookstore. Aboard the ship she'll contact Sutra for some electronic copies of the translated texts, prior to take off.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
2,997
@Séadna, @RuinZealot, @Bunch, @Smith, @Stan -

Clock6-6.png Search widens

After some further dicsussion with Derryl and Anvil, you make arrangements that he will contact you at Freeside Station in Ezra's Belt. He suggests a bookshop in Acheron, which turns out to have a copy of Correia's diary plus a couple of other titles that he suggests. You pack up your stuff and pile into the rover, driving back to the airfield at Meridani.

The airfield is pretty bare - it's got a pad big enough for your ship to land at, and some very basic facilities. As you pull into the field you see two ground cars parked near the Tranquility. Two morlocks and three humans are standing around your ship.

As you approach, one of them turns and looks at you; he says something to the others and they all turn to face you. They look like they weren't expecting you. You notice most of them shifting their hands into positions that look obviously like they're packing and making ready to draw weapons if there's trouble. One of them puffs up into an obvious power pose. He is tall-ish and heavy-set with dark hair and olive skin, matching the descriptions you've seen of Hubba.

As you pull up to the the ship, they approach the rover and Hubba struts towards you, waving you to stop. As you pull up, he says 'Ahhh. You must be the crew of the Tranquility'. As he spots the automed his expression changes.

He continues 'And I believe that's my business partner you have in the back of your rover.'

The thugs look nervous and shifty.

OOC: Perhaps think about a flash back that you might have done - For example, brought some toys along with you and dropped one of the party off, or maybe reconnoitred the field before driving up. It's perhaps worth noting that the ship is remote-able with a portable console like the one in Aliens. Alternatively, as the saying goes - Han shot first.

It's just occurred to me that mechanically we should have started this with an engagement roll. For the moment I'll just fudge it and say it was a success with complications. Hubba and his goons have worked out that the offworlders poking around might be the crew of the Tranquility and has come out with his goons to take a look at the ship.
 
Last edited:

Smith

Legendary Member
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
424
Reaction score
499
Kal keeps his arms clearly raised just above hip-height, his luscious coat billowing in the breeze behind him as walks slowly forward in front of the others. He will quietly say to the others, "Just like on Lushun."

"Curious as to how you refer to the inhabitant of this automed, a very injured individual, as your business partner. Who exactly do you think this is? And who exactly, are you, waiting by our ship?"
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
2,997
Kal keeps his arms clearly raised just above hip-height, his luscious coat billowing in the breeze behind him as walks slowly forward in front of the others. He will quietly say to the others, "Just like on Lushun."

"Curious as to how you refer to the inhabitant of this automed, a very injured individual, as your business partner. Who exactly do you think this is? And who exactly, are you, waiting by our ship?"
@Séadna, @RuinZealot, @Bunch, @Smith, @Stan - Hubba starts in a villain's-expository-speech tone.

"I have obtained a share in the venture with the find you're all so keen to keep a secret - and I know where it is. Although I hardly need him anymore, Mr. Correia is my business partner now and it would be churlish to deny him the fruits of his labours."

Hubba looks even more pleased with himself than usual.

"It would seem that you have abducted him, from intensive care no less, and appear to be in the process of taking him offplanet against his will. We can do business together; I shall have need of experienced smugglers such as yourselves, and perhaps we might form a longer-term business partnership.

As for your ship, we have merely been waiting for you to come back to it so we could have a little chat.

Really, it is time that Mr Derryl came to terms with his new company structure. Mr. Correia will be in safe hands here, and you need not spirit him offplanet. It would be a terrible pity if your indiscretions came to the attention of - say - the Gendarmerie."

Hubba now puts on a sort of schmoozy salesman air

"We can be antagonists or we can be partners. Really now, there's no need to be enemies. We can come to an arrangement that benefits everyone. Take some time and think about it, but don't tarry overlong.

I'll be in touch - perhaps at Freeside Station where the factor first made contact with you?"

OOC: It's fairly obvious that Hubba has been filled on a lot of detail about the venture by someone.
 

Smith

Legendary Member
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
424
Reaction score
499
OOC: Can I push a group flashback for setting up on the approach to this meeting? We scouted ahead and saw some goons and are in a combat ready mode. Fuck this guy, let's wipe him out and deal with those consequences later.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
640
Reaction score
1,038
Steevo pokes his head out of the rear window while doing something with his hands.

"Hey Mr. Hubba. No offense meant. Our business contact was shot by someone unknown to us. It stands to reason they might try to finish him off so we removed him from the situation. To be frank, we still don' t know who shot him. For all we know, it could have been you. For his sake, he'd probably be safer off planet where no one could get to him. Obviously, we mean him no harm or we would have killed him in the hospital. If you would be so kind as to leave your contact information, we'll be in touch as soon as we are back in system so we can discuss arrangements."

Steevo watches closely to Hubba's reaction to the embedded accusation.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
2,997
OOC: Can I push a group flashback for setting up on the approach to this meeting? We scouted ahead and saw some goons and are in a combat ready mode. Fuck this guy, let's wipe him out and deal with those consequences later.
Absolutely you can do this. You still hit the scene driving up to Hubba but you can do it with weapons drawn if you want. I think a good shootout would be quite therapeutic. If you want to do this, come up with a plan and we'll play the flashback out.

Roll three dice for an engagement roll.
 
Last edited:

Smith

Legendary Member
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
424
Reaction score
499
OOC: Kal is specifically looking for them to let their guard down before he starts blasting by fanning his blaster at the three of them - Just like on Lushun
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,818
Reaction score
3,983
OOC: Can I push a group flashback for setting up on the approach to this meeting? We scouted ahead and saw some goons and are in a combat ready mode. Fuck this guy, let's wipe him out and deal with those consequences later.
OOC: Sounds good to me. Guns loaded etc
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
2,997
Ida will glance around for objects to fling into Hubba.
Fortune roll 2D = 4,4 Partial success

You can see an attaché case on the back seat in one of the cars; the doors are open so you can use telekinesis to get it out and throw it at Hubba. It's not a direct line so you would have to make an attack roll to hit.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
2,997
Steevo pokes his head out of the rear window while doing something with his hands.

"Hey Mr. Hubba. No offense meant. Our business contact was shot by someone unknown to us. It stands to reason they might try to finish him off so we removed him from the situation. To be frank, we still don' t know who shot him. For all we know, it could have been you. For his sake, he'd probably be safer off planet where no one could get to him. Obviously, we mean him no harm or we would have killed him in the hospital. If you would be so kind as to leave your contact information, we'll be in touch as soon as we are back in system so we can discuss arrangements."

Steevo watches closely to Hubba's reaction to the embedded accusation.
@Séadna, @RuinZealot, @Bunch, @Smith, @Stan

Hubba definitely reacts when you drop the veiled hint. By the time you finish he has turned a delicate shade of puce and looks about ready to explode. The goons see this and start to move their hands towards concealed weapons.

He gets some control of himself and looks at you like he wants to murder you on the spot.

"I'm afraid that my Mr. Correia is needed here. I have people taking care of Derryl, and ... " - His eye twitches a bit - "We already know the location of the find, so we don't really need you." His voice drops to a whisper. "Nobody will miss a bunch of two-cred smugglers."

The thugs look really tense. Both of the Morlocks skin visibly changes colour.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
6,041
Reaction score
8,568
Flashback--

Twitch rolled out of the vehicle as they reconnoitered the landing pad checking for police presence. Seeing obvious no police hanging around the ship he sneaks as close as possible to it without drawing attention. Should he find an opportunity while they are distracted he'll slip into the ship and prep it for a quick takeoff....
 

Smith

Legendary Member
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
424
Reaction score
499
OOC: If we can time it right, the ship suddenly taking off combined with Ida's force fling is a perfect distraction for bolts to start flying!
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
2,997
Flashback--

Twitch rolled out of the vehicle as they reconnoitered the landing pad checking for police presence. Seeing obvious no police hanging around the ship he sneaks as close as possible to it without drawing attention. Should he find an opportunity while they are distracted he'll slip into the ship and prep it for a quick takeoff....
The field is covered with scrubby vegetation and there is a berm around the landing pad that allows you to sneak up on it unseen. You can get to the berm easily. Make a SKULK roll to sneak up to the ship undetected. Teamwork with the other players distracting Hubba's crew will give you an extra die.
OOC: If we can time it right, the ship suddenly taking off combined with Ida's force fling is a perfect distraction for bolts to start flying!
That would be the teamwork ...
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,818
Reaction score
3,983
OOC: Assumed SCRAP to aim the telekinesis. 0D so pushed myself for 1D. Result was 3
 
Top