Scum and Villainy in-character (IC) thread.

Smith

Legendary Member
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
430
Reaction score
506
you've git a citation at Meridani for reckless flying. If you can't lawyer out of that (better call Saul ...) then you might get clobbered for a fine of around 5,000 credits. (2 CRED).
Kal will do what he can to find a contact to ooze over in an attempt to shift the blame to another ship and cite it as mis-identification.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
644
Reaction score
1,045
ooc: sorry for the slow reply. Finally looking up the rules on my lunch hour.

Steevo finds that most of the damage to the rover is cosmetic. He patches the holes with filler and re-aligns the winch. The simple repairs exhaust some of the materials and he makes a note to get more dirtside.
ooc: spends 1 CRED on repairs.

During the quiet glory of space travel, Steevo spends a great deal of time in his bunk, laying on his stomach with his feet in the air. The time spend studying schematics relaxes him but he's seen all these materials before and it doesn't entirely make him stop thinking about the close calls at the hospital and starport.
ooc: clear 2 stress.
ooc: I count 1 more XP from triggers, plus the 2 from desperate rolls, so nothing to do with them until next time.
 

RuinZealot

Active Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2019
Messages
70
Reaction score
69
When you play a Muscle, you earn xp when you address challenges with force or threats.
1xp, I definitely leaned into violence when it made sense but it wasn’t a major piece.
Expressed your beliefs, drive, heritage or background
1xp, I definitely pushed a point of view of someone well versed with criminal activity.
Struggled with issues from your vice or traumas
0xp. It didn’t come up.

Total 2xp
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,922
Reaction score
3,040
ooc: sorry for the slow reply. Finally looking up the rules on my lunch hour.

Steevo finds that most of the damage to the rover is cosmetic. He patches the holes with filler and re-aligns the winch. The simple repairs exhaust some of the materials and he makes a note to get more dirtside.
ooc: spends 1 CRED on repairs.

During the quiet glory of space travel, Steevo spends a great deal of time in his bunk, laying on his stomach with his feet in the air. The time spend studying schematics relaxes him but he's seen all these materials before and it doesn't entirely make him stop thinking about the close calls at the hospital and starport.
ooc: clear 2 stress.
ooc: I count 1 more XP from triggers, plus the 2 from desperate rolls, so nothing to do with them until next time.
When you play a Muscle, you earn xp when you address challenges with force or threats.
1xp, I definitely leaned into violence when it made sense but it wasn’t a major piece.
Expressed your beliefs, drive, heritage or background
1xp, I definitely pushed a point of view of someone well versed with criminal activity.
Struggled with issues from your vice or traumas
0xp. It didn’t come up.

Total 2xp
I'm down with that. Feel free to update the character sheets and summary if you haven't already.

@Smith, @Séadna, @RuinZealot, @Stan, @Bunch

After a few weeks you get a message from Okon Derryl. It says they've procured for the expedition and arranged a site where you can land and conceal your starship at one of Stelios's holds. Apparently Hubba is furious but he has no idea where to find Derryl and his colleagues. There are, however, rumours going around town now.

He also attaches a file with the ephemeris of the ground view remote sensing satellites and a map of the ATC and air-search radar coverage. Upon analysis you can find a window of about an hour where you can get your ship down at a point around 2,500km from the Irulan Sea and fly to a hold in some mountains around 1.800km, some 500km outside the ATC radar coverage.

There are holos of the site and a schematic that looks like it was taken with a portable LIDAR kit. It shows an enormous cavern in the mountain that you could easily get a starship into; the accompanying blurb notes that the rocks around most of the mountain ranges around there are very rich in iron, and will effectively screen the ship from detection by magnetic anomaly scanners.

They want you to bring a broad spectrum camouflage net, which will conceal the ship from electromagnetic and radar sensors.

OOC: you can probably procure a camouflage net of this sort off the grey market.
 

RuinZealot

Active Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2019
Messages
70
Reaction score
69
I'm down with that. Feel free to update the character sheets and summary if you haven't already.

@Smith, @Séadna, @RuinZealot, @Stan, @Bunch

After a few weeks you get a message from Okon Derryl. It says they've procured for the expedition and arranged a site where you can land and conceal your starship at one of Stelios's holds. Apparently Hubba is furious but he has no idea where to find Derryl and his colleagues. There are, however, rumours going around town now.

He also attaches a file with the ephemeris of the ground view remote sensing satellites and a map of the ATC and air-search radar coverage. Upon analysis you can find a window of about an hour where you can get your ship down at a point around 2,500km from the Irulan Sea and fly to a hold in some mountains around 1.800km, some 500km outside the ATC radar coverage.

There are holos of the site and a schematic that looks like it was taken with a portable LIDAR kit. It shows an enormous cavern in the mountain that you could easily get a starship into; the accompanying blurb notes that the rocks around most of the mountain ranges around there are very rich in iron, and will effectively screen the ship from detection by magnetic anomaly scanners.

They want you to bring a broad spectrum camouflage net, which will conceal the ship from electromagnetic and radar sensors.

OOC: you can probably procure a camouflage net of this sort off the grey market.
OOC: Would it be fair for me to handle this during a flashback, like when me and Ida were waiting for pickup?
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,922
Reaction score
3,040
OOC: Would it be fair for me to handle this during a flashback, like when me and Ida were waiting for pickup?
OOC: No need to; you can probably find somebody who can get you a line on one on Freeside or Densapar. There is probably nobody on Raquos who can source one big enough to conceal a starship. If there was, Derryl probably wouldn't have asked you to get one.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
6,099
Reaction score
8,671
Twitch stays out enjoying the local delights long enough to be an annoyance to his partners. After the tenth or so attempt to reach him he'll finally come out of his stupor to make his way back to the ship. But only after procuring some goodies necessary to make a long trip away in semi seclusion enjoyable.

Once back to the ship he will pour over the flight information given to him with surprising thoroughness. He's learned good times come to an end pretty quickly for those who fail to deliver consistently.
 

Smith

Legendary Member
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
430
Reaction score
506
"We can head to Freeside to find a net, I reckon. Plenty of folks there with a market-full of random crap for gigs like this." Kal taps his nose as he slumps into one of the galley chairs. "I can try and get a good bargain on one."
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,922
Reaction score
3,040
"We can head to Freeside to find a net, I reckon. Plenty of folks there with a market-full of random crap for gigs like this." Kal taps his nose as he slumps into one of the galley chairs. "I can try and get a good bargain on one."
OOC: You're on Freeside, in orbit around Babylon, the most populous world in Ezra's Belt.

Ezra's Belt has a large Smegulon population, which share the Smegs' universal propensity for personal empowerment. It's a nexus for smuggling, arms dealing, illicit starship mods and all sorts of nefarious derring do, alongside a lot of legitimate commerce. Freeside Station itself was essentially squatted by Smegs and is run by a council that has a large Smeg representation. This is tolerated by the authorities in Ezra's Belt because there isn't much of a central authority, just a bunch of domiciles that largely have their own governmental structures, behaving a bit like city-states.

Smegs also manufacture (and salvage) a lot of items themselves and there is a large and largely unregulated shadow economy amongst the Smeg population. They will also occupy old structures on remote worlds, refurbishing and extending them, and have been known to go to some trouble to conceal the existence and location of their domiciles.
 

Smith

Legendary Member
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
430
Reaction score
506
(Is there a market/bazaar on-station that I could wander around to see if any Smegs or other sellers have the wares I'm looking for?)
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,839
Reaction score
4,035
Ida will accompany Kal on the search through local markets.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,922
Reaction score
3,040
(Is there a market/bazaar on-station that I could wander around to see if any Smegs or other sellers have the wares I'm looking for?)
Ida will accompany Kal on the search through local markets.
OOC: Collateral on Freeside Station forthcoming, however I have an IRL D&D game tonight. Watch this space.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
644
Reaction score
1,045
Steevo stays near the ship, making sure the maneuver jets are properly aligned for tight moves in valleys and so they won't toss up too much dust.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,922
Reaction score
3,040
@Smith, @Séadna, @RuinZealot, @Stan, @Bunch

OOC: Wife is quite ill so D&D was a write-off last night. We ended up with a visit to A&E in the wee small hours this morning; attempting to work from home today but two spawn and my wife being sick makes the 'work' part of this a bit aspirational.

One of the down sides of contracting is no sick pay.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
6,099
Reaction score
8,671
@Smith, @Séadna, @RuinZealot, @Stan, @Bunch

OOC: Wife is quite ill so D&D was a write-off last night. We ended up with a visit to A&E in the wee small hours this morning; attempting to work from home today but two spawn and my wife being sick makes the 'work' part of this a bit aspirational.

One of the down sides of contracting is no sick pay.
Hope your wife feels better soon.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,922
Reaction score
3,040
@Smith, @Séadna, @RuinZealot, @Stan, @Bunch

You all know Shel, proprietor of the Arabel Bar in pod 2G of A-Ring. The Arabel is a seedy bar on the bottom level of the main concourse area and is frequented by spacers. Shel is known to most spacing regulars who transit through Freeside.

Shel knows everyone. He is an excellent starting point for enquiries - both legit and no-questions-asked.

OOC: The one-boxing seems to have a glitch but the links still go to the correct place.




 
Last edited:

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,839
Reaction score
4,035
Ida heads to Arabel Bar to speak to Shel. She'll stop first when she enters to get a feel for the place and try to identify Shel before she speaks to him by speaking to some of the Robo-kitchen staff should they appear in the main bar.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,922
Reaction score
3,040
Ida heads to Arabel Bar to speak to Shel. She'll stop first when she enters to get a feel for the place and try to identify Shel before she speaks to him by speaking to some of the Robo-kitchen staff should they appear in the main bar.
You've met Shel before on numerous occasions as the Arabel is a regular haunt of the Tranqility's crew when on Freeside. He's Cyrus-born and has Acadian Legion tattoos on his organic arm (his left arm is cyber). As you enter the bar you can see him tending bar, as is normally the case when he's in. He recognises you as you enter and greets you warmly. Although you know he always greets his regulars, this feels genuine.

He says "Ida my dear, what can I get you?"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,839
Reaction score
4,035
"I'll have some synth-whiskey" Ida says casually.

"Say Shel, we're looking to get something to make our ship a little less conspicuous. You know where I should go around here for that? Or who I should talk to?

And how's business?"
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
6,099
Reaction score
8,671
Twitch will join Ida and get some quality grub.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,922
Reaction score
3,040
"I'll have some synth-whiskey" Ida says casually.

"Say Shel, we're looking to get something to make our ship a little less conspicuous. You know where I should go around here for that? Or who I should talk to?

And how's business?"
Shel gets a bottle labelled 'Glenwhilley' and pours you a double. For a synth it's not bad, although there aren't really any notes to the flavour.

He says "Business is pretty good these days - we're getting a lot of free traders through." Then he thinks for a bit, leans in and says sotto voce "I thought the Tranquility had a 17C system. What sort of things are you after - upgrades or something else?"
Twitch will join Ida and get some quality grub.
Shel says "We've got some bacon from Denaspar - made from actual pigs - and hydro vegges. How about a real B.L.T. sandwich and a pint to wash it down?"

@Séadna - he turns to Ida and asks "Can I get you anything to eat - say, are the rest of your crew coming?"

OOC - @Smith, @RuinZealot, @Stan ^ ^ ^ ^
 
Last edited:

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
6,099
Reaction score
8,671
"ooh yeah! I haven't had real bacon in months! Set me up!" He asks doing a drumroll on the bar counter.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
6,099
Reaction score
8,671
"ooh yeah! I haven't had real bacon in months! Set me up!" He asks doing a drumroll on the bar counter.
After ordering Twitch will look around at the other patrons and see who might be sociable.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,922
Reaction score
3,040
"ooh yeah! I haven't had real bacon in months! Set me up!" He asks doing a drumroll on the bar counter.
Shel pulls you a pint of Stellar Arts and calls to the kitchen "Mandy, can I have a BLT for Twitch here?"

Miranda (Mandy) comes out of the kitchen a few minutes later with a B.L.T. She puts it on a plate on the bar in front of you and enters something in a handcomp. The B.L.T. doesn't disappoint.
After ordering Twitch will look around at the other patrons and see who might be sociable.
There are about a dozen or so patrons in the bar at the moment. It's mid-afternoon local time, after the lunch crowd and before the end of the day shift. The other patrons appear to be mainly spacers. There is an older couple wearing shipwear bearing a monogram Cuore d' Oro sitting in one of the booths; three crew members from the Empress Theodora at one of the tables and two people wearing captain's and purser's insignia from the Alhamdulillah in one of the other booths. The rest of the patrons look like spacers - mainly smegs - but are wearing shipwear with no identifying insignia with the exception of two of the other patrons also look like smegs but don't appear to be ship crew.

The captain and purser of the Alhamdulillah are looking at a handcomp and appear to be discussing business, as do the folks from the Cuore d' Oro' The rest of the patrons seem reasonably open and friendly and the bar has a pretty good vibe going.
 
Last edited:

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,922
Reaction score
3,040
"A camo net" Ida says on the quiet "broad spectrum"

OOC: That include visual spectrum out of curiosity?
Shel thinks for about half a minute, says "You need to conceal a ship from orbital surveillance?" He appears to know a bit more about the topic than he's letting on. Again, you notice the Acadian Legion tatts.

Then gets out a notepad and writes something on it.

Andros Casmini
Level 4, Pod 4F
B Ring.

OOC: Yes. The camo nets have e-ink chromatophores in various wavelengths, plus an active thermal compo system and a surface ionisation field that absorbs radar. It's not quite predator level, but you can tune it with programs to fool various outline recognition algorithms. The tech will let you fly a UAV over an area and then tune the canopy to replicate the exact terrain with enough fidelity to fool most remote sensing systems.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,839
Reaction score
4,035
Shel thinks for about half a minute, says "You need to conceal a ship from orbital surveillance?" He appears to know a bit more about the topic than he's letting on. Again, you notice the Acadian Legion tatts.

Then gets out a notepad and writes something on it.

Andros Casmini
Level 4, Pod 4F
B Ring.
Ida eyes the note.

"Thanks Shel"

She downs the drink and pays double as a thank you and heads to B-Ring.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,922
Reaction score
3,040
Ida eyes the note.

"Thanks Shel"

She downs the drink and pays double as a thank you and heads to B-Ring.
To get to the B-Ring you have to take the elevators to the hub and walk down to the elevators for B ring. Although the hub used to be zero-G, some artificial gravity tracks have been installed allowing the path to be walked.[1] You get into the elevator up to Sector 2 of B-ring and walk to the address given.

The precinct mainly seems to consist of small commercial premises and looks quite seedy and run down. You can see a few homeless smegs sitting about on the public seating. One of them tries to beg some change from you.

You find a door labelled 'Andros Kasmini - Outfitter'. It has a door chime that you can hear when you press it. Eventually an intercom comes on and you can see a face in the comms screen. He sees your garb, does a poorly suppressed double take and says "Hello Ma'am. Can I help you?"
__________
1 - OOC: There are also some AG tracks in the docks but artificial gravity systems use quite a lot of power and therefore cooling capacity so older spin gravity stations tend not to retrofit more than is necessary.
 
Last edited:

Smith

Legendary Member
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
430
Reaction score
506
(Sorry, been quite sick over the weekend).

Kal would have gotten a bite to eat too, and heads with Ida to the B-Ring. He tosses some loose change towards the beggar with a nod. "All I've got, mate."

At the door, he shimmies into frame on the comm screen. "Hello, we are potential customers looking to survey your stock."
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,922
Reaction score
3,040
(Sorry, been quite sick over the weekend).

Kal would have gotten a bite to eat too, and heads with Ida to the B-Ring. He tosses some loose change towards the beggar with a nod. "All I've got, mate."
You sashay into the bar a few minutes after Ida and see Twitch's BLT. Bacon looks quite good - it doesn't turn up off planet that often so when you ask Shel for one. He calls "Mandy, Make that two BLT's."

Mandy hands you one wrapped up in paper a few minutes later. It's as good as it looks.

When you throw the change to the begger, he says "Thank you, sir," and pockets some of it, leaving the rest in a battered cap in front of him. He's shaking a bit and looks like has a case of the DTs.
At the door, he shimmies into frame on the comm screen. "Hello, we are potential customers looking to survey your stock."
@Smith, @Séadna -

Andros does another half-take and says "Well, you'd better come in then." You hear a click and the door opens.

The office is very small, with little more than a desk and a swivel chair with some storage behind the desk. You notice a safe, a lockable cabinet for papers, a drinks cabinet and some shelves with various items behind the desk. The desk a deskcomp, a few papers and various items of stationary and other knick knacks including a small animated globe of Cyrus.

There are two chairs in front of the desk; Andros motions you to the chairs.

"So, how can I help you?"
 
Last edited:

Smith

Legendary Member
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
430
Reaction score
506
"We are looking to purchase a camo net, broad spectrum. We don't want anything orbital to be able to see where we park. Heard you might be able to help us?"
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,922
Reaction score
3,040
"We are looking to purchase a camo net, broad spectrum. We don't want anything orbital to be able to see where we park. Heard you might be able to help us?"
@Smith, @Séadna -
Andros thinks for a minute then spends a few minutes consulting his deskcomp.

He says "I have some 7P49S units in storage here." What sort of ship do you need to conceal?
 

Smith

Legendary Member
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
430
Reaction score
506
"ZU transport," Kal says with a grin, knowing this model is typical with smuggling-types. His last crew had used one. "You got enough sheets in storage to cover that size?"
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,922
Reaction score
3,040
"ZU transport," Kal says with a grin, knowing this model is typical with smuggling-types. His last crew had used one. "You got enough sheets in storage to cover that size?"
@Smith, @Séadna -

Andros says "I have three control units and twenty 30m strips in storage here. I should think you'd need about four to cover a ZU."

He punches some figures into a calculator app on his deskcomp and comes back with "I can do that with an ABFC generator for 13,500 creds" (OOC: 2 CRED)
 

Smith

Legendary Member
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
430
Reaction score
506
Fighting the urge to let his jaw drop to the floor, Kal cracks his neck ever so slightly and smiles as pleasantly as he can muster. "Andros, my new friend, I believe we can try to come to an arrangement here. My group needs this to complete a current job, after which we will have plenty to pay in return. I propose we pay half now and owe you extra after the fact as you'd be doing us a favour."

Kal leans back in his chair to be as forthcoming as possible. "Whether that extra be hard cash, or a favour in return, I am open to your thoughts."

(Basically offering 1 cred now, 2 later, or 1 later and us do him a favour)
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,922
Reaction score
3,040
Fighting the urge to let his jaw drop to the floor, Kal cracks his neck ever so slightly and smiles as pleasantly as he can muster. "Andros, my new friend, I believe we can try to come to an arrangement here. My group needs this to complete a current job, after which we will have plenty to pay in return. I propose we pay half now and owe you extra after the fact as you'd be doing us a favour."

Kal leans back in his chair to be as forthcoming as possible. "Whether that extra be hard cash, or a favour in return, I am open to your thoughts."

(Basically offering 1 cred now, 2 later, or 1 later and us do him a favour)
He's looking a bit iffy. You can tell that he's heard of you so you're not a complete unknown but he's weighing up his thoughts about when he might get paid the balance. Make a RISKY Sway roll with STANDARD effect.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,922
Reaction score
3,040
(SWAY 2d6 5,2 )
@Smith, @Séadna
5 = success with complications

Andros asks you to excuse him as he goes outside the office with his handphone. You hear a brief conversation and then a few minutes later he comes in with a quiet but somewhat unsettling looking gentleman that he introduces as 'Mr. Patella'.

He explains that Mr. Patella is a financier specialising in loans to small starship crews and similar enterprises. Mr Patella has offices in this precinct and is willing to arrange a loan to cover the cost of the goods. He has a contract ready for the loan, at a generous 33% APR.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,922
Reaction score
3,040
"I think we should take it" Ida whispers to Kal as she watches the animated globe of Cyrus.
@Smith - ^^^^^

OOC: Mention anybody else in the post with a reference to their handle to get the notifier to ping them. Not everybody has notifications enabled for postings in watched threads.
 
Top