Scum and Villainy in-character (IC) thread.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Kal flourishes his arms to present both himself and Will. "Ms Mishra, I am the one you spoke to over the comm, Mal. This is my associate, Phil. We were contracted by our mutual friend to deliver... Something. He failed to make the rendezvous, and he clearly has been forced to leave his home. Another crew came through and searched his place. He is likely in danger, so anything you can tell us that leads to us reaching him before this other group does will no doubt leave him in your debt."
Smith Smith, RuinZealot RuinZealot - Mishra looks at you for a bit, then seems to come to some conclusion about you.

"I don't know where he is or what his plans were. I do know that he and Okon have been trying to find the Elgin site for more than 20 years now. The only reason I can think Lar and Okon would bring in offworlders is that he wants to smuggle something off planet. Can't say I blame him - I'd rather do that than let Zawi and his thieving bastards get hold of them."

She pauses briefly then looks at you and continues.

"We all knew it was real. You see, what most people don't know about Elgin's find is that he brought back samples from one that fell over and broke. He took them here back when it was just a satellite research campus of NSU[1]. Prof Arkady did the analysis work for him, but Elgin disappeared before he had completed the work. From what we understand he just sat tight on it. When he died the report and samples were found in his office. We still have them."

She looks you up and down again, and then says

"Then, two days ago a couple of people came to my office and asked where I could find Lar Correia. There was something off about them - they kept asking where he was and they were quite threatening about it. In the end I got quite short with them and threatened to call security. I've got no idea who they are but there's something quite unsavoury about them."

"You don't look like you have anything to do with them. You don't look much like you have anything to do with the antiquities scene either. What is your involvement with this?"

Last edited:
"So why we drivin here?" Twitch asks.

OOC - last thing I have Twitch doing is following the pair until he lost them and then going back to the car. I haven't read the SPOILERS so as far as Twitch can tell he got in the car and was told to drive to this location by someone in the car
"

Ida turns to Twitch "Derryl got some gear from this place recently. I want to see what we can find out about him from the staff here. You want to head in with me? If not..." she rubs her stomach with a smile "...mind grabbing me something nice from over there" she points to the street food vendor.

Ida turns to Twitch "Derryl got some gear from this place recently. I want to see what we can find out about him from the staff here. You want to head in with me? If not..." she rubs her stomach with a smile "...mind grabbing me something nice from over there" she points to the street food vendor.
Séadna Séadna, Stan Stan, Bunch Bunch - While glancing at the street food vendor you notice a menu that's readable. It says:

Riz Saute (Fried Rice)
  • Légumes (Vegetables) Cr1
  • Protéine (Protein) Cr1
  • Oeuf (Egg) Cr1
  • Poulet (Chicken) Cr1.2
  • Chevre (Goat) Cr1.2
  • Chevre Betaal (Beetle Goat) Cr1.2
Ida walks into the shop, accompanied by whoever wishes to follow her.

The shop is little more than a warehouse with a counter. It has desert surivival equipment, surveying and comms equipment, tools, digging and archaeology supplies, what looks like farm supplies as well.[1]. The place has the look of a supplier to the trade. You notice a small cabinet mounted on the wall behind the counter with some firearms in it. There is a woman behind the counter reading a handcomp. When you walk in she glances up at you and does the slightest of double takes before smiling politely. She starts to greet you in French but the switches to Anglic.

"Bonj .err. Good afternoon madame. Would you like some help?"

1 - Acheron is on the edge of the arable zone - the region nearest the sea with enough rainfall and water table to make agriculture viable. Outside the zone is mostly desert with a few oases and a smattering of locations where (relatively) accessible artesian water makes moisture farming viable. Some nomadic herding is also practised.

Last edited:
Steevo buys one of each of the items below, figuring he can take the unchosen one.
  • Protéine (Protein) Cr1
  • Oeuf (Egg) Cr1

Steevo buys one of each of the items below, figuring he can take the unchosen one.
  • Protéine (Protein) Cr1
  • Oeuf (Egg) Cr1
Stan Stan -The vendor turns up his woks and starts cooking the fried rice. He starts with a patter and really strongly recommends the Chevre Betaal. He takes the protein from a packet labelled Protéines de Levure Cultivées en Cuve (Vat-Grown Yeast Protein). You don't recognise the brand, but it's most likely to be local. The eggs are genuine - he cracks an egg and fries it into an omelette in his wok before chopping it up and adding the rice. The vegetables appear to be frozen.

Last edited:
Stan Stan The vendor finishes cooking the rice and hands you a bag with three portions wrapped in paper. You notice a television going in the background and you notice a news cast on it. As you look at it you notice the tail end of an article about a shooting in the Dumarest Hotel at Nusantara Starport. There is a caption on the article indicating that the victim survived but is in critical condition in hospital. Then it cuts to a police spokesman who says that they can't comment on the case at the moment.

The news then cuts to something about city politics in Nusantara. It's discussing some event in a court case about land rights for First Wave settlers, although it's not clear about what the significance is. The article cuts to an interview with one Ralt Kurtoglu, who says something about 'Dries' having the same rights as everybody else. There are a couple more talking heads.

Last edited:
Smith Smith, RuinZealot RuinZealot - Mishra looks at you for a bit, then seems to come to some conclusion about you.

"I don't know where he is or what his plans were. I do know that he and Okon have been trying to find the Elgin site for more than 20 years now. The only reason I can think Lar and Okon would bring in offworlders is that he wants to smuggle something off planet. Can't say I blame him - I'd rather do that than let Zawi and his thieving bastards get hold of them."

She pauses briefly then looks at you and continues.

"We all knew it was real. You see, what most people don't know about Elgin's find is that he brought back samples from one that fell over and broke. He took them here back when it was just a satellite research campus of NSU[1]. Prof Arkady did the analysis work for him, but Elgin disappeared before he had completed the work. From what we understand he just sat tight on it. When he died the report and samples were found in his office. We still have them."

She looks you up and down again, and then says

"Then, two days ago a couple of people came to my office and asked where I could find Lar Correia. There was something off about them - they kept asking where he was and they were quite threatening about it. In the end I got quite short with them and threatened to call security. I've got no idea who they are but there's something quite unsavoury about them."

"You don't look like you have anything to do with them. You don't look much like you have anything to do with the antiquities scene either. What is your involvement with this?"
Eyes wide, Kal sighs. "Well, you've got us pegged, we have been tasked with helping get ... certain items off-world and out of the hands of 'those thieving bastards at the ministry'," he says, using finger quotes. "I take it Okon and Lar are very close, there's no chance of a partner's quarrel going on? You say you don't recognise the goons who tried to shake you for information, so I assume they aren't people you'd know from the ministry? Or does this 'Zawi' character like to just hire any ol' slab of muscle?"

Kal looks to Will and tries to catch his attention. "Phil, any chance you have some of that footage we grabbed? I just want to confirm that the goons we saw turning Lar's place over are the same that came here."

Eyes wide, Kal sighs. "Well, you've got us pegged, we have been tasked with helping get ... certain items off-world and out of the hands of 'those thieving bastards at the ministry'," he says, using finger quotes. "I take it Okon and Lar are very close, there's no chance of a partner's quarrel going on? You say you don't recognise the goons who tried to shake you for information, so I assume they aren't people you'd know from the ministry? Or does this 'Zawi' character like to just hire any ol' slab of muscle?"

Kal looks to Will and tries to catch his attention. "Phil, any chance you have some of that footage we grabbed? I just want to confirm that the goons we saw turning Lar's place over are the same that came here."
OOC: Mention RuinZealot RuinZealot in the post when you're talking to the character and he'll get a notification, e.g. RuinZealot RuinZealot - ...

Nobby-W Nobby-W , Smith Smith
OOC: I’m going to assume it’s okay to have a flashback to get the footage from Stevo. Depending on the stress cost I can edit.

“Sure. Give me a moment to pull it up.” After some tapping he locks his handcomp to only access the video and hands the company over to Kal.

Nobby-W Nobby-W , Smith Smith
OOC: I’m going to assume it’s okay to have a flashback to get the footage from Stevo. Depending on the stress cost I can edit.

“Sure. Give me a moment to pull it up.” After some tapping he locks his handcomp to only access the video and hands the company over to Kal.
Smith Smith, RuinZealot RuinZealot - It's a zero-cost item. Steevo has found some frames that show their faces well enough and taken captures. He can easily have sent the files to you, or you can message him and ask him to send them.

Mishra looks at the photos on your handcomp. She starts a little and stares at the screen for a few seconds.

"That's them. Those are the people that came and harassed me yesterday. Do you have any idea who they are?"

Seeing your blank looks she thinks for a moment and says "I think you need to get in touch with Okon Derryl. He might have some idea. They might also be after him. If Lar and Okon really have found Elgin's site and somebody's got wind of it the wastes will turn into a brawl. If Zawi gets involved ... Allah have mercy."

Last edited:
Steevo pays for the food and thanks the vendor, hoping none of the mystery ingredients will get them sick, which is why he avoided some of the meats. When he gets back, he tries to look up the shooting story. He's most interested in the name of the victim. If there are any pics, he'll see if they match anyone from the security footage

Smith Smith, RuinZealot RuinZealot - It's a zero-cost item. Steevo has found some frames that show their faces well enough and taken captures. He can easily have sent the files to you, or you can message him and ask him to send them.

Mishra looks at the photos on your handcomp. She starts a little and stares at the screen for a few seconds.

"That's them. Those are the people that came and harassed me yesterday. Do you have any idea who they are?"

Seeing your blank looks she thinks for a moment and says "I think you need to get in touch with Okon Derryl. He might have some idea. They might also be after him. If Lar and Okon really have found Elgin's site and somebody's got wind of it the wastes will turn into a brawl. If Zawi gets involved ... Allah have mercy."
"Do you have a means we can get in touch with him? He could be in danger." Kal implores.

"Do you have a means we can get in touch with him? He could be in danger." Kal implores.
Smith Smith, RuinZealot RuinZealot - Mishra opens her desk terminal and looks through something - probably an address book app. "He lives way out of town and doesn't advertise the location. I have an old comm net address for him, but I'm not sure it's up to date. Ask around any of the antiquities vendors or suppliers at the market. They will be able to put you onto someone who can get in touch with him."

She looks at some notes "It says don't send unencrypted messages to the address. Okon-Derryl-23a@ZoneNet.rep.zone, but it's 20 years since I sent anything there."

Last edited:
Steevo pays for the food and thanks the vendor, hoping none of the mystery ingredients will get them sick, which is why he avoided some of the meats. When he gets back, he tries to look up the shooting story. He's most interested in the name of the victim. If there are any pics, he'll see if they match anyone from the security footage
Stan Stan - You open your handcomp and do a search through the news, finding a brief news flash article. The article states that police responded to a call at the Dumarest Hotel Nusantara Starport where one person was found shot. Police have not yet released the name of the victim, although the press release stated that he was in stable but critical condition in hospital. Several video clips are shown, including one of police examining a Zakila SUV that looks like the one driven by Correia.
OOC: Ping Séadna Séadna and Bunch Bunch when you state your next actions.

Last edited:
The shop is little more than a warehouse with a counter. It has desert surivival equipment, surveying and comms equipment, tools, digging and archaeology supplies, what looks like farm supplies as well.[1]. The place has the look of a supplier to the trade. You notice a small cabinet mounted on the wall behind the counter with some firearms in it. There is a woman behind the counter reading a handcomp. When you walk in she glances up at you and does the slightest of double takes before smiling politely. She starts to greet you in French but the switches to Anglic.
"Hello there" Ida says approaching the desk "I'm investigating a recent disappearance, your store turned up as a small possibility. You open to a quick chat, shouldn't take too long?"

If there is a positive answer:

"I'd like to ask you about a list items, what they might be used for and if you can remember anything about the customer. I already know the first two, but it's no harm to double check. Also might get the old memories firing"

"Hello there" Ida says approaching the desk "I'm investigating a recent disappearance, your store turned up as a small possibility. You open to a quick chat, shouldn't take too long?"

If there is a positive answer:

"I'd like to ask you about a list items, what they might be used for and if you can remember anything about the customer. I already know the first two, but it's no harm to double check. Also might get the old memories firing"
This is a RISKY sway roll with STANDARD effect. You can PUSH for an extra die if desired.

Last edited:
Result was a single 6
6 = Success

The shop keeper is called Ines Yamashidi. She knows Okon Derryl and Lar Correia - they're regular customers and Okon Derryl was here a few days ago buying some odds and sods. She has a comm address for Lar Correia but no contact details for Okon Derryl. Mainly he pays cash. Okon Derryl has a house down a blind canyon somewhere out to the southwest of town. Beyond that she doesn't know how to contact him.

She suggests that you ask around the market for Anvil or Kadrey if you can't find Okon Derryl.

You know Steevo is outside with the pics from the security camera footage on his handcomp. Last you saw he was heading over to the Riz Sautee vendor.

Last edited:
Smith Smith
OOC: I think we have enough to go on if you want to leave.
Smith Smith, RuinZealot RuinZealot - Mishra, looking increasingly concerned, says "Alhamdulillah - I hope this isn't the shit-show I fear it is. Find Lar or Okon. Go now. Please tell me if they're OK. As salamu alaikum."

Last edited:
Smith Smith, RuinZealot RuinZealot - Mishra, looking increasingly concerned, says "Alhamdulillah - I hope this isn't the shit-show I fear it is. Find Lar or Okon. Go now. Please tell me if they're OK. As salamu alaikum."
Smith Smith
Will tells Mishra “If those guys bother you again, call us.” with a serious tone to his voice.
“Let‘s get going Kal. It’s going to be a long night.”

Smith Smith
Will tells Mishra “If those guys bother you again, call us.” with a serious tone to his voice.
“Let‘s get going Kal. It’s going to be a long night.”
RuinZealot RuinZealot - Mishra does a bit of a take when you say this and then says "You ... look like you can handle yourselves. I don't know who those people were but I hope you know what you're doing."

Last edited:
Nodding with thanks, Kal says "thank you for the help, Mishra. I apologise for the deception, we weren't sure if we could trust you. We'll do what we can." As he and Will head downstairs and exit the building, Kal speaks up, "I think this job is going waaay overboard. We gotta save our mark just to start the job? I'm expecting some serious danger pay outta this."

Steevo waits in the car and plays Star Align until everybody gets back.

Nodding with thanks, Kal says "thank you for the help, Mishra. I apologise for the deception, we weren't sure if we could trust you. We'll do what we can." As he and Will head downstairs and exit the building, Kal speaks up, "I think this job is going waaay overboard. We gotta save our mark just to start the job? I'm expecting some serious danger pay outta this."

Will grunts. “We’re going to have to deal with those guys who seem to be ahead of us, if we aren’t fast. So you might earn that danger pay.”

I imagine we get back to the car shortly after that conversation.

Will does a quick scan of the area, anyone who looks too serious or out of place here before heading in.

Steevo waits in the car and plays Star Align until everybody gets back.
Have you read this? https://www.rpgpub.com/threads/scum-and-villany-in-character-ic-thread.3695/post-131547

Will grunts. “We’re going to have to deal with those guys who seem to be ahead of us, if we aren’t fast. So you might earn that danger pay.”

I imagine we get back to the car shortly after that conversation.

Will does a quick scan of the area, anyone who looks too serious or out of place here before heading in.
You go back to where the rover was parked and it's not there. A quick call to Steevo ( Stan Stan) fills you in on where they are.

Last edited:
Twitch waits in the Rover. "Want a little?" He asks Steevo getting a little mix of stimulant and narcotic into a snuff wrapper.

Stan Stan, Séadna Séadna, Bunch Bunch, Smith Smith, RuinZealot RuinZealot - I've got an IRL D&D game tonight and will be back about 11pm GMT. Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves. You can assume that you've piled into the Rover and picked Kal and Will back up - or have a confabulation in the rover and take actions based on that and can discuss with each other on the comms. When I get back in I'll respond.

Ida heads back to the others.

"Well turns out Derryl and Correia are regulars here. Derryl was here recently. No contact details for Derryl, but she does have a vague idea of where his house is, to the SouthWest. She said to ask in the market for a pair called Anvil or Kadrey. Steevo, think we should see if she knows the guys on the footage? Also see when she last seen Correia and especially Derryl and compare it to the timestep of him leaving in the Zakila.

Oh and how's the food?"

Twitch takes his hit before Ida returns. "Not sure about the food. I was just about to grab some. You want me to pick something up for you while you ask around?"

"No thanks on the hit. From the guy I got three orders fried rice. There's protein, legumes, and egg. I thought those would be the least risky forms of planetside food. Pick what you want, I'll take what's left."

Steeevo unpacks the food as he listens to Ida. "That's good info."

Steevo gets out of the car and starts heading inside, talking as he goes.

"Oh get this, I happened to see on the news there was a shooting Dumarest Hotel near the Nusantara Starport. Big deal right? But there was a car that might of been Correia's. If you want I try to get more info. Police systems are tricky. but hospital EMRs are really variable in quality, we might get lucky."

ooc: trying to tie everyone back together.

Hey, we are a few minutes away, like gathering info in parallel. Crap, I forgot to get you any food. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess. But you can have half of mine. Anyway they found Derryl and Correia are regulars here. Derryl was here recently. Some peeps named Anvil and Kadrey involved. We're about top show the shoppy some faces to see if things synchronize. And bonanza of coincidences, I happened to see on the news there was a shooting Dumarest Hotel near the Nusantara Starport. Big deal right? But there was a car that might of been Correia's"

"Oh yea, how did things go on your quest?"

Last edited:
Ida heads back to the others.

"Well turns out Derryl and Correia are regulars here. Derryl was here recently. No contact details for Derryl, but she does have a vague idea of where his house is, to the SouthWest. She said to ask in the market for a pair called Anvil or Kadrey. Steevo, think we should see if she knows the guys on the footage? Also see when she last seen Correia and especially Derryl and compare it to the timestep of him leaving in the Zakila.

Oh and how's the food?"
Stan Stan, Séadna Séadna - Steevo and Ida walks back across to the shop. Ines is still there and greets you with a cheery 'Hello again.' When you show her the photos on Steevos handcomp a look of contempt grows across here face. "I 've seen them before. Local wideboys - I've seen them shaking down stall owners in the market for protection. I think they might be working for Dejart. Low life scum."

Twitch takes his hit before Ida returns. "Not sure about the food. I was just about to grab some. You want me to pick something up for you while you ask around?"
You happen to glance across the road and the street food vendor catches your eye. He starts up his patter and calls across "Try the Chevre Betaal. It's unique to Rhaquos. You'll love it!"
"No thanks on the hit. From the guy I got three orders fried rice. There's protein, legumes, and egg. I thought those would be the least risky forms of planetside food. Pick what you want, I'll take what's left."

Steeevo unpacks the food as he listens to Ida. "That's good info."

Steevo gets out of the car and starts heading inside, talking as he goes.

"Oh get this, I happened to see on the news there was a shooting Dumarest Hotel near the Nusantara Starport. Big deal right? But there was a car that might of been Correia's. If you want I try to get more info. Police systems are tricky. but hospital EMRs are really variable in quality, we might get lucky."

ooc: trying to tie everyone back together.

Hey, we are a few minutes away, like gathering info in parallel. Crap, I forgot to get you any food. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess. But you can have half of mine. Anyway they found Derryl and Correia are regulars here. Derryl was here recently. Some peeps named Anvil and Kadrey involved. We're about top show the shoppy some faces to see if things synchronize. And bonanza of coincidences, I happened to see on the news there was a shooting Dumarest Hotel near the Nusantara Starport. Big deal right? But there was a car that might of been Correia's"

The rice only takes a little over 5 minutes to cook. You could easily pick up another two.

Last edited:

"Wow, helluva coincidence. Spoke to the academic, got a potential lead on who is driving this other gang - the ministry of antiquities or some other fancy foo-fah group. Sounds like they have a stranglehold on antiques in the area and are likely smuggling them off to a black market. She gave us some intel on where to go to find out how to get in touch with Okon, and said he is our best bet, pretty much. Would need to head to some antique vendors at the market. Also gave us a net address to mail him at, but not to send un-encrypted messages. Gah this is a lot to be saying, are you guys close? We can head in your direction." Kal takes a breath and looks at Will, "oh, yeah get us some food too would ya? Will looks famished."

"Yea, I'm an imperfect narrator. Being in one place would help. We'll pick you up in ten minutes. With Food"

"Will said they got info that also points to the antique vendors. We're to dock with them once we have more food"

Steevo jumps out of the car to get orders of legumes and protein. Once he's back in the car, he nods that they can take off.

"Yea, I'm an imperfect narrator. Being in one place would help. We'll pick you up in ten minutes. With Food"

"Will said they got info that also points to the antique vendors. We're to dock with them once we have more food"

Steevo jumps out of the car to get orders of legumes and protein. Once he's back in the car, he nods that they can take off.
Stan Stan, Bunch Bunch, Séadna Séadna - You drive back to the university and pick up the rest of the party, meeting up with Kal and Will.

Leads so far:
  • Zawi and ministry (unlikely)
  • Dejaart's gang (more likely but how did they find out?)
  • Okon Derryl
  • Okon Derryl's associates Kadrey and Anvil.
  • Shooting at Dumarest Hotel.

Last edited:
"Well I think confronting Dejaart's boys isn't likely to lead to much. They were there to find things out like we were and more so we can hardly question them and expect it to go well.

What about we speak to Kadrey and Anvil and then head to the hotel, before finally speaking to Derryl if we manage to get a hold of him?"

Pesar Ikonia Market

Séadna Séadna, Stan Stan, Smith Smith, Bunch Bunch, RuinZealot RuinZealot - You've been directed to ask around the market to get hold of Okon Derryl and/or his associates. The market is not far from Terres Desolees. it's next to two main highways. You can drive there in a few minutes and start asking around.

The Riz Sautee is pretty good by street food standards with a fairly spicy curry-ish seasoning. The rice has a reasonable amount of stir-fried vegetables and protein added - the vendor isn't skimping on ingredients. It's not necessarily the best you've ever tasted but certainly not the worst either.

What are you doing?

TerresDesolees.png

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back