Scum and Villainy in-character (IC) thread.

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
2,002
“How do we get a hold of them or do we know where they are?”
Mishra's suggestion was to ask around the market. The implication is that they're well known there and someone should be able to put you in touch.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
Ida heads to the Ikonian market intent on tracking down Kadrey and Anvil. Given the short distance she will walk and meet back with others later if they want to take the Rover elsewhere.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
2,002
Ida heads to the Ikonian market intent on tracking down Kadrey and Anvil. Given the short distance she will walk and meet back with others later if they want to take the Rover elsewhere.
[Map pending - you can see a low res map in the pic above]
The market has a series of large canopies under which vendors have set up stalls. As you walk in you see a variety of items: relic sellers (you have no idea whether they are genuine or fake) selling knick-knack sized finds. Vendors selling equipment, repair shops, assayers, a bureau de change, street food vendors, clothing vendors, personal electronics vendors, vendors selling consumer stuff of all sorts.

The market is busy with people haggling, buying and selling. Most of the folks here are human, but you see a few aferas, the inevitable garps, a few morlocks and even a couple of Katamari.

As you walk into the market, a scruffy looking gentleman, probably a beggar or vagrant, catches your eye and latches onto you before you can break off eye contact. He sidles up to you and says: "Greetings, good lady. Could you spare a credit or two for an unfortunate soul down on his luck?"
 
Last edited:

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
"Greetings, good lady. Could you spare a credit or two for an unfortunate soul down on his luck?"
"And greetings good Sir. I'm sure I could, but would you be able to tell me where two gentlemen by the names of Kadrey and Anvil are to be found? If you can, I'd have to pay you a finders fee" she says with a slight smile.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
2,002
"And greetings good Sir. I'm sure I could, but would you be able to tell me where two gentlemen by the names of Kadrey and Anvil are to be found? If you can, I'd have to pay you a finders fee" she says with a slight smile.
"Certainly, Madame. Why, I know Kadrey and Anvil as old friends. You can often find them around the market when they're not in the field. For a few credits I could surely take a message to one of them."
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
"Certainly, Madame. Why, I know Kadrey and Anvil as old friends. You can often find them around the market when they're not in the field. For a few credits I could surely take a message to one of them."
"How many credits to be lead directly to them Monsieur? I'm a bit wary of entering into a 'he-said she-said' messaging service, though of course I'm sure you'd make a fine go-between" she says this time with an outright smile.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
2,002
"How many credits to be lead directly to them Monsieur? I'm a bit wary of entering into a 'he-said she-said' messaging service, though of course I'm sure you'd make a fine go-between" she says this time with an outright smile.
"Why, I can take you to see Kadrey's stall. He may be there, although I haven't seen him this morning. No doubt we can find him or someone who can help you. As to my recompense, I'll be happy to leave that up to your largesse, madame."

He leads you to a stall that is currently empty and says "Alas, he is not present at this very moment. Perhaps I could ..."

At this point a woman in the neighbouring stall interrupts him and shoos him off with a cuff. He slinks away but continues to keep an eye on the proceedings. The woman says "Hey lady. What do you want with Kadrey?" She is obviously quite suspicious of you.

You notice one or two of the bystanders start to watch you.
 

Smith

Legendary Member
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
318
Reaction score
368
Kal will follow along with Ida, polishing off the last of the bowl in his hands. Throwing into a nearby trash receptacle, he wipes his mouth down. He'll be stood close but not wanting to steal the thunder from Ida's interactions.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
2,002
Kal will follow along with Ida, polishing off the last of the bowl in his hands. Throwing into a nearby trash receptacle, he wipes his mouth down. He'll be stood close but not wanting to steal the thunder from Ida's interactions.
You survey around the bystanders and notice that the altercation with Ida has attracted some attention. The locals appear to be a bit on edge for some reason and the woman mentioning Kadrey caused several of the people in the crowd - including a couple of nearby stallholders - to start watching. They look visibly nervous.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
496
Reaction score
729
"Hey, ya know I hate walking on dirt. Whenever you all are ready, we can move the car up to Ida in case stuff happens.

Steevo sits in the back of the car and starts poking around the news and such about the goings on at the starport and the hospital. If that doesn't turn a solid lead on Carr, he'll try hacking into the hospital record system.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
The woman says "Hey lady. What do you want with Kadrey?" She is obviously quite suspicious of you.

You notice one or two of the bystanders start to watch you.
Fearful the bystanders might be eavesdroppers, she moves closer to the woman and speaks in a low voice.

"It's about a mutual acquaintance. I fear he might be in a bit of trouble. I thought they should know"
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
Twitch enjoys the mixture of stimulants and narcotics entering his system.

"Got it. I'll trail Ida." He pulls the car as close as he can to Ida.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
2,002
"Hey, ya know I hate walking on dirt. Whenever you all are ready, we can move the car up to Ida in case stuff happens.

Steevo sits in the back of the car and starts poking around the news and such about the goings on at the starport and the hospital. If that doesn't turn a solid lead on Carr, he'll try hacking into the hospital record system.
You've driven to the university, picked up Kal and Will and returned while Ida peruses around the market.
Twitch enjoys the mixture of stimulants and narcotics entering his system.

"Got it. I'll trail Ida." He pulls the car as close as he can to Ida.
You can't really get into the market as such as it has a fairly busy crowd of people. While you could drive the Rover in (vehicles can be driven in to pick up or drop off goods) it would attention. You can drive to the side of the road by the market and can see Ida from the car, although the crowd is dense enough that you can't really see all of the detail of what's going on. If Kal or Ida calls for help you can be there pretty quickly though.
Fearful the bystanders might be eavesdroppers, she moves closer to the woman and speaks in a low voice.

"It's about a mutual acquaintance. I fear he might be in a bit of trouble. I thought they should know"
Clock6-3.png Suspicion in the crowd. You can make a SWAY or CONSORT attempt to get Marta onside.

Marta says "Well, you're obviously not Hubba's people. I'm listening."

The roll is RISKY with STANDARD effect.

@Smith - Kal can assist with this for an extra die (backing vocals maybe?)
 
Last edited:

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
Suspicion in the crowd. You can make a SWAY or CONSORT attempt to get Marta onside.

Marta says "Well, you're obviously not Hubba's people. I'm listening."

The roll is RISKY with STANDARD effect.

@Smith - Kal can assist with this for an extra die (backing vocals maybe?)
Using SWAY, result with @Smith 's help is 1,6. See here.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
2,002
Using SWAY, result with @Smith 's help is 1,6. See here.
Clock6-1.pngSuspicion in the crowd

The woman looks a bit less suspicious and hostile - you appear to have been convicing enough. She eyes you thoughtfully and says "You're obviously not Hubba's people. Maybe you are who you say. I know some people - I'll arrange a meeting this evening. Come to Rick's after 9. Sit in one of the booths away from the band. Somebody will find you."

She pauses for a moment. "Keep a low profile. Hubba has eyes and ears all over the place."

Kal uses his most smouldering look to assure Marta that we mean business.
@Smith After putting on your best smouldering looks, Kal notices the beggar has disappeared. A little scanning and you see him walking quickly away through the crowd.
 
Last edited:

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
Ida will return to Twitch and the others at the Rover and inform them about the meeting.

OOC: What time is it currently?
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
2,002
Ida will return to Twitch and the others at the Rover and inform them about the meeting.

OOC: What time is it currently?
Early afternoon. Just after lunch.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
"Will we check out the Dumarest hotel?" Ida says to the others. "I'll return here if we're getting short on time"

OOC: See below
 
Last edited:

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
2,002
"Will we check out the Dumarest hotel?" Ida says to the others. "I'll return here if we're getting short on time"
OOC: The drive to Nusantara is the better part of 1,000km. There isn't enough time to get there and back for this meeting. Even driving to Meridani and taking a shuttle to Nusantara is going to give you a couple of hours there at most, and that's assuming perfectly optimal timetables.

Map:
 
Last edited:

RuinZealot

Active Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2019
Messages
64
Reaction score
64
“Well, if we have time to kill we could try Okon’s secure number. I don’t see how that draws any attention to us. Steevo, might be best if you handle the encryption. Probably something short and obscure like:
Hey, having a hard time getting a hold of you. We’re on planet looking for work. Let me know if you need anything?”
Will shifts about in the back of the car.
”I could stand to stretch my legs. We’ve been in this car all day, it’s like being under burn.“
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
496
Reaction score
729
"Good idea"

Steevo sends a message to Okon. "Dirtside. A friend bailed on us. Looking for something to do or work on. Wanna meetup?"
 

Smith

Legendary Member
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
318
Reaction score
368
Returning to the rover, Kal scans the crowd for the beggar. "There's eyes in the crowd, that other gang might have some people trailing us now. We should probably stay mobile in the meantime."
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
2,002
Clock6-2.png Made by Hubba's men

“Well, if we have time to kill we could try Okon’s secure number. I don’t see how that draws any attention to us. Steevo, might be best if you handle the encryption. Probably something short and obscure like:
Hey, having a hard time getting a hold of you. We’re on planet looking for work. Let me know if you need anything?”
Will shifts about in the back of the car.
”I could stand to stretch my legs. We’ve been in this car all day, it’s like being under burn.“
"Good idea"

Steevo sends a message to Okon. "Dirtside. A friend bailed on us. Looking for something to do or work on. Wanna meetup?"
The system returns an indicator that shows the message was successfully delivered to the local mailbox.
Returning to the rover, Kal scans the crowd for the beggar. "There's eyes in the crowd, that other gang might have some people trailing us now. We should probably stay mobile in the meantime."
As you walked away you could see the beggar walking out of the market. You could make him out crossing the A19 and hurrying down an alley on the other side of the road. He was taking something out of a pocket, but you couldn't see what.

@Séadna, @Smith - The woman has gone back to her stall; it has a small sign that says 'Marta's Buy/sell'. One or two of the locals glance at Ida and Kal but appear to lose interest fairly quickly. You can't see anybody obviously watching you.

@Bunch - Everyone has piled into the car. Where do you want to go?
 
Last edited:

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
2,002
Clock6-4.png Made by Hubba's goons.

@Stan, @Bunch, @RuinZealot, @Séadna, @Smith - you spend about 20 minutes faffing about deciding what to do.

A small street kid comes up and hands you a note. It says: 'A couple of Hubba's goons have just turned up into the market. There are people here who will rat you out. Better make yourself scarce.'

Looking across the market you can see a couple of thuggish types - one human, one morlock - looking around the market.

OOC: Alexandjr 'Hubba' Dejaart.
 
Last edited:

Smith

Legendary Member
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
318
Reaction score
368
Kal quickly reads the note, and thanks the kid with a nod and some cred chits. "We should just start driving now unless you want a confrontation. Some fella called 'Hubba' is looking into this matter, and we are inexorably involved in said matter. Can we just start moving before they find us?"
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
Twitch starts driving away from the market. "Where to boys?"
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,421
Reaction score
3,323
"Well we've the meeting tonight, will we just wait for that and head to the hotel tomorrow morning?"
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
2,002
Kal quickly reads the note, and thanks the kid with a nod and some cred chits. "We should just start driving now unless you want a confrontation. Some fella called 'Hubba' is looking into this matter, and we are inexorably involved in said matter. Can we just start moving before they find us?"
OOC: See above for link to entry in OOC thread.
Twitch starts driving away from the market. "Where to boys?"
You start driving away. Make a HELM roll to pull into the traffic discreetly but quickly. The traffic around the market is quite heavy with lots of double-parked vehicles and pedestrians and motor scooters on the road. As they are looking for you about 30m away this is a DESPERATE roll with STANDARD effect. You can PUSH for an extra die at the expense of two stress. You could take a DEVILS BARGAIN, potentially barging something out of the way, which may bring HEAT onto you for reckless driving. Other party members could assist by shooing passersby out of the way, but would have to make their own way to a rendezvous point.

OOC: Note that you get XP for desperate rolls.
"Well we've the meeting tonight, will we just wait for that and head to the hotel tomorrow morning?"
What do you want to do in the meantime?
 
Last edited:

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
Twitch is going to PUSH (-2 stress) himself through the drugs he's just ingested to focus and try to drive quickly and nonchalantly through the busy streets.
(Dice roll 6,6,5 bit of overkill)
He pulls away gliding through the streets with ease. The stimulants keep his reflexes on the razors edge
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
2,002
Twitch is going to PUSH (-2 stress) himself through the drugs he's just ingested to focus and try to drive quickly and nonchalantly through the busy streets.
(Dice roll 6,6,5 bit of overkill)
He pulls away gliding through the streets with ease. The stimulants keep his reflexes on the razors edge
Clock6-2.png Made by Hubba's goons (note the clock went backward).

Slick, Slick, Slick. You're a veteran of the crowded streets of Vetawa and this is amateur hour by comparison. You pull away into the traffic without disturbing anything and get in front of a truck, obscuring you from sight. Just as you pull in, you see the two thugs come out of the market and scan around, finding nothing. +1 XP for the desperate roll. +1 Gambit for the critical success.

You're now driving North on the A22 South Irulan Highway. According to the map it will take you south of the Irulan sea, out through the wastes and eventually to a town called Ishval, which is about 1,500km to the southeast of here.
 
Last edited:

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
2,002
@Stan, @Bunch, @RuinZealot, @Séadna, @Smith - You drive for a while and come to a rest stop. There is a fuelling/recharging station, a flitter pad and what looks like a small outdoor food court with a few street food outfits and a hole-in-the-wall branch of Apollo's looking incongruous in the location.

Signage offers charging, fuel cell mix (methanol/ethanol fuel for air-breathing fuel cells) and various other services. The station appears to also have a small general store and a rather scungy looking motel with a few rooms and a capsule bank. A bored attendant or security guard (it's not obvious which) is sitting in a plastic armchair outside.

Surrounding the rest stop is a small cluster of houses and some marginal farmland; there is probably an underground aquifer close enough to the surface to support moisture farming. A couple of large crawlers are parked in a paddock next to the station and there are a couple of ground cars in the forecourt on the charging posts.
 
Last edited:

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
496
Reaction score
729
Now that they are out of immediate trouble, Steevo is going to start hacking into the starport hospital's records to to see if their contact is there and if they're alive. If he can't hack it, he'll call and try social engineering, pretending to be a brother who just got to the planet and heard he might have been in an accident.
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
2,002
Now that they are out of immediate trouble, Steevo is going to start hacking into the starport hospital's records to to see if their contact is there and if they're alive. If he can't hack it, he'll call and try social engineering, pretending to be a brother who just got to the planet and heard he might have been in an accident.
You don't get far with the records - they don't appear to have an online connection to the public network. You can attempt a SWAY roll to get some information from reception. This is a RISKY roll with STANDARD effect. You can PUSH for another die.
 
Last edited:

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
496
Reaction score
729
ooc: add a push.

Steevo tries to get through his dislike of phone conversations to make a call to the hospital. Hopefully, his anxiety bleeds into the call and is read as concern.

"Hi, um, can you help me? I landed yesterday and can't find my brother. Lar. He isn't returning my calls. He usually calls me as soon as I land.We always meet at the Dumarest Hotel. The hotel was acting weird. I tried the news as a last resort. I found out there was some kind of violence at the hotel. That must be why they were weird. The news showed my brother's car. Well, I think it's his car. Please tell me my brother is ok. Oh, our last name is Correia. Can you connect me to him? Please and thank you."

die roll: 3,4
 

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,346
Reaction score
2,002
ooc: add a push.

Steevo tries to get through his dislike of phone conversations to make a call to the hospital. Hopefully, his anxiety bleeds into the call and is read as concern.

"Hi, um, can you help me? I landed yesterday and can't find my brother. Lar. He isn't returning my calls. He usually calls me as soon as I land.We always meet at the Dumarest Hotel. The hotel was acting weird. I tried the news as a last resort. I found out there was some kind of violence at the hotel. That must be why they were weird. The news showed my brother's car. Well, I think it's his car. Please tell me my brother is ok. Oh, our last name is Correia. Can you connect me to him? Please and thank you."

die roll: 3,4
Clock8-1.png On the authorities' radar - this incident is likely to get reported if Lar Correia is under a police guard.

4 = Success with reduced effect. The receptionist taps something into a computer, pauses and says "I'm sorry sir, but we can't discuss Mr. Correia." Then she stops and says "I'm not at liberty to talk about this. You will have to contact the police."

It would appear that the receptionist has inadvertently given away that the patient is indeed Lar Correia.

+2 STRESS.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
496
Reaction score
729
Steevo mumbles, "Umm, ok. Thank you."

Then to the car. "Hey people, it looks like Lar is alive in a hospital in Nusaftra. Probably got shot at the Dumarest hotel."
 

Smith

Legendary Member
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
318
Reaction score
368
"Well, shit. It's doubtful that the goods are with him, practically speaking, but I would imagine he's stashed them somewhere. I have no idea how ... lax the authorities are here but if the Ministry is behind this and are able to effectively handle a black market of antiquities under the planet's nose then I don't hold much hope that Lar is safe at the hospital." Stretching his legs as Kal paces around the rover, he leans on the car and speaks through the window again. "Maybe we should think about focusing on talking to him to get the info for the stash, maybe even break him out and save him ourselves if he's the one paying us. I am beginning to think that maybe getting to him is more important, or just as important, as this meeting we have. We might have to split up if we want to do both."
 
Top