Scum and Villainy out-of-character (OOC) thread.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
(Apologies for the delay, got caught up IRL)

Kal got to know Steevo after his failed romantic tryst with a certain government official. Needing a driver for robbery he and a buddy were pulling, Kal offered Steevo the gig. Kal's other friend got shot in the resulting shoot-out but Kal and Steevo made it away with a tidy chunk of cred and blew it all on a drunken weekend.

Kal met Twitch in a bar on Freeside station, while the two of them were enjoying some R&R from their own respective recent jobs, both working with different crews at the time. Kal was already pretty drunk but he listened as Twitch went off in a huge tirade about how the path of human existence has led them to this exact moment, and how their destinies are intertwined to be in this bar, but utterly meaningless in the face of the universe as a whole.

Kal was humbled and had never felt so small in that moment. When he saw Twitch the next morning, Twitch had no recollection of the conversation and barely recognised Kal, admitting he was pretty hopped up on something profound. Kal didn't delve too much into what Twitch had said, as that nihilistic feeling of nothingness clung to him like a bad smell.

RE: XP, so am I approved for the +3XP I argued for, to be clear?

[ . . . ]
RE: XP, so am I approved for the +3XP I argued for, to be clear?
Yes go ahead. The XP from desperate positions are already marked on the character sheets here.

Can you check if you can edit the sheet?. I may need to figure out how to grant permissions on it. If not, update your character sheet from the link farm and tell me what changes you made, and I'll update the sheet.

I have an IRL D&D game tonight. Should be back around 11pm GMT.

Yes go ahead. The XP from desperate positions are already marked on the character sheets here.

Can you check if you can edit the sheet?. I may need to figure out how to grant permissions on it. If not, update your character sheet from the link farm and tell me what changes you made, and I'll update the sheet.
It's view only currently. You can set permissions so that anyone with the link can comment or edit, and you can also provide edit access via email/link.

I sent a request for edit access but I'm perfectly happy to just comment on it, if it's easier for you.

OOC: Looking at my options I agree with Nobby’s recommendations.
I rolled a 6, which leaves me at 2 stress.
I think in the fiction this is either Will doing work at an orphanage or doing logistical work for finding resources for the same.
I’ll take the time to train up my prowess, which I think is mostly work with resistance bands and other equipment on the ship.
OOC: Freeside Station is an old LFC facility that got squatted by Smegulons after the LFC was broken up. It's now run by a committee descended from its former management team and a bunch of smegulon representatives. Freeside has a substantial population of homeless smegs and would certainly have both formal and informal facilities for orphaned smeg kids. If Will has any connection with smegs he might be a semi-regular volunteer at the orphanages, perhaps teaching classes, taking child minding shifts or getting food supplies from various sources.

This is not an uncommon situation on old LFC orbital, asteroid or low-G world facilities as there are a large number of smegs who can't easily re-acclimatise to strong planetary gravity. The smegs have developed phenomenal skills in refurbishing old space facilities, spaceships or ground bases on Low-G worlds and re-purposing them for living.

Also, can you do your XP per the instructions in the OOC thread here.

Training

When you spend time in training, mark 1 xp on the xp track for an attribute or playbook advancement. Take a moment to tell everyone what this training looks like, or what you’re doing to sharpen these specific skills.

You should have a PM with an editable link to the sheet summary. Can you update both your character sheet (here) and the summary.

Freeside Passenger Concourse Module 2D

This is one of four modules holding the main passenger concourse. It is the main area for transients and adjoining modules hold commercial, hotel and other facilities.

Level 1
FreesideA1.png

Level 2
FreesideA2.png

Level 3
FreesideA3.png

Level 4
FreesideA4.png

Last edited:
Freeside Passenger Concourse Module 2E

This module is at the end of the spar. It has the main elevator and passenger reception.

Level 1
FreesideB1.png

Level 2
FreesideB2.png

Level 3
FreesideB3.png

Level 4
FreesideB4.png

Last edited:
Freeside Passenger Concourse Module 2F

Level 1
FreesideC1.png

Level 2
FreesideC2.png

Level 3
FreesideC3.png

Level 4
FreesideC4.png

Last edited:
Freeside Passenger Concourse Module 2G

Level 1
FreesideD1.png

Level 2
FreesideD2.png

Level 3
FreesideD3.png

Level 4
FreesideD4.png

Last edited:
Freeside station

The station has two spin gravity rings; the rings are made of 36 modules each, which have 4 levels, an upper mezzanine and a lower access level for plant such as life support, sewage handling and storage. The lower levels also have a large population of homeless smegs.

Most of the public commerce area is in 'A Ring'. There are some station admin and security offices which are largely off-limits to the public, but most of A-ring is open. B-Ring is mainly manufacturing and back office facilities and accommodation for station staff and permanent residents.

A-Ring gets seedier and seedier the further away you get from the public concourse.

Arabel Bar

Arabel.png
Description
The Arabel bar is a small bar on level 4 of Pod 2G of Freeside station. Like most station facilities it is small and intimate. Five booths and four tables, plus a bar with a few stools at the bar allow the Arabel to serve about 50 patrons at once, plus a few standing.

Who is there
The bar is mostly frequented by spacers and some regulars from station residents. It has been there as long as anyone can remember, but was purchased by Shel Tanaka about 15 years ago. Now he is a fixture at the station.

Appearance
Screens above the bar and on the opposite wall play a variety of broadcast programming with subtitles. One screen has a schedule of departures and arrivals. Sometimes the screens play video from cameras on the outside of the station. The interior décor is neutral, with some pictures of scenes from the Ezra's belt system on the walls. Some smeg paraphenalia is mounted on the walls as decoration.

What's available
The Arabel serves synth and imported drinks plus a few other mild narcotics. A small robo-kitchen allows basic meals or snacks to be served.

Who's who
Shel is the owner; his 2IC is Minnie (Minerva) who is also present most of the time. The other waiters are Cathy, Maggie, Terry and Teil, who work various shifts.

I'm sorry, I'm drawing a blank on what I wanna do at this planet, other than we need camo.

I'm sorry, I'm drawing a blank on what I wanna do at this planet, other than we need camo.
It's just a shopping trip. Really the episode was an expository piece to show the Smegs' shadow economy. it's introducing a significant piece of the 'verse, kind of a Chekov's gun.

Last edited:
Acadia

Acadia is one of the major nations on Cyrus, and had a pro-independence government during the first Cyrus Wars. The government was taken over by a Commonwealth-backed loyalist coup.

Acadian Legion

The Acadian Legion was a pro-independence revolutionary movement formed out of separatist factions of the armed forces, civilian volunteers and various other Cyrus nationalities and offworld contingents. After Commonwealth forces suppressed the Acadian separatist forces in the first Cyrus War the legion was largely destroyed. 'Resolute' Legions formed out of remains of the Acadian Legion remained on Cyrus and continued underground guerilla resistance activities. Many people who had been identified by Commonwealth intelligence agencies were captured and imprisoned, executed or mind wiped by Commonwealth forces. Others managed to flee Cyrus into the Neutral Zone, outside of Commonwealth reach.

7P49S

A model of orbital concealment net manufactured in the Commonwealth up to about a generation ago. It's appreciably heavier than current models and comes in 10m x 30m or 10m x 50m sections that clip together. Held up with poles, it can be used to conceal a ground installation or other item on the surface from most remote sensing.

Thermal buildup is handled by a peltier system feeding evaporative cooling pipes. While this makes it heavier than current models it is considered to be more efficient overall. These are connected to a heat sink that is buried in the ground or placed somewhere that it can disperse heat.

The system can be powered by a variety of sources, but the most common for atmospheric use is a standard ABFC (air-breathing fuel cell) generator with each panel using about half a kilowatt. Covering a starship would use three or four panels.

A control unit can be programmed with various camouflage patterns, and an EW unit can emulate neutral radar reflections from the ground. The whole assembly with four nets, the power plant and control/ECM equipment weighs about a three quarters of a ton.

Patella and Associates

Patella and Associates is a financier that offers loans to free traders and other space-going enterprises, at interest rates that reflect the risk in such ventures. They are based out of Ezra's Belt, with offices in Freeside station. They have a syndicate of investors, the identities of whom are not entirely clear, and also act as an insurance brokerage.

Cargo Protocol

Normally stevedores at the port will load or unload cargo, but will require a signature from the ship's load master to take responsibility that the cargo has been secured correctly. Traditionally this is a form, colloquially known as a 14C after the old LFC cargo documentation.

Tamura People

A sandfolk clan, originally based around the Irulan sea but driven into the deep wastes by a pogrom some 90 years previously. The tribe has split into various holds, based around sources of water that can support moisture farming, or other industries such as mining. The Tamura don't have a lot of love for the authorities.

Tantalus mountains

A broken, scattered mountain range in the deep wastes, some 1,500km south of the Rampart mountains. The Tantalus range is high enough to drive precipitation, so there are quite a few aquifers in the region, supporting moisture farming and other civilisation.

Stelios ('Stel') Garr

Stelios is the current tribal hetman of the Tamura people, and is a friend of Okon Derryl's.

Is Cor coming with us? Is he fully healed?

Will?

I’d need a downtime to heal. It’s a level 1 harm, so I can hobble on it.

Is Cor coming with us? Is he fully healed?
Yes he is. He's been in hospital on Freeside and he's in reasonably good shape.
Will?

I’d need a downtime to heal. It’s a level 1 harm, so I can hobble on it.
As the boy says, there's a doctor at the hold. It's splinted up now, and if it's still not healed you may have to wait a few days at the hold.

What do I need to do to heal it?
Yes he is. He's been in hospital on Freeside and he's in reasonably good shape.

As the boy says, there's a doctor at the hold. It's splinted up now, and if it's still not healed you may have to wait a few days at the hold.
What would I need to do to heal it?

What do I need to do to heal it?

What would I need to do to heal it?
It's just a sprain. Keep your weight off it for a few days and let it heal by itself. The ship has portable medkits with drugs that will reduce inflammation, and splint the ankle to keep it stable. It will go away by itself unless you do something to aggravate it. The travel will have the effect of a downtime unless something happens to interrupt the healing process. Just making a sensible GMing decision over strict adherence to the mechanics.

Last edited:
Verkonian

An alien species found scattered in several settlements across known space. Some of the settlements had maintained records indicating that they were a part of the precursor civilisation, a race descended from organic drone units adapted to be self-sustaining. There is also some implication that they were based on one of the uplifted races. Verkonians are named after Dr. Bryant Verko, who headed the contact expedition that established relationships with the species.

Physically, they are about 1.5m tall and weigh about 40kg, with grey-brown skin (will fill out more at some point but think something like trad Greys).

The Verkonian authorities maintain that there are Verkonian colonies that maintain space travel capability, although non in known space. They also state that they have a policy of a strict moratorium on technology transfer.

Although they have a hard-wired genetic imperative to maintain several cultural values based around keeping a society alive for millions of years (which is considered direct evidence of their artificial origin) the inflexible nature of the design has meant that many colonies failed and there are relatively few remaining. Archaeological remains of the colonies can be found in several locations, of which the best known is the Dobachan site.

Some fragmentary historical records remain, including records of various uplift programmes in different systems.

I like it. It's giving Rhaquos and its inhabitants lots of colour.

sorry, I've had a really busy week at work (ramping up on a new project) so I've been quite distracted!

going to be out of the country for the next few days, family emergency

DM only. Pulling some stuff out from one note so it's available for reference here.
1583392208639.png

1583392251417.png

1583392357106.png

1583392462524.png

1583392591216.png

1583392719282.png

1583392800214.png

MoistureFarm1.png

MoistureFarm2.png

Last edited:
Psychodactyl

A large flying carnivore about the size of an eagle, native to Rhaqous and found around most mesas and mountainous areas. It flies on membranous wings, giving it a superficial resemblance to Terran prehistoric pterosaurs. It hunts in small packs, occasionally solitary. They are territorial and aggressive and will defend their nests, which they usually make on top of mesas. They will also attack and vandalise inanimate objects such as vehicle fittings or unattended equipment, giving it the locals' nickname of Psychodactyl. The bite carries bacteria that are capable of causing sepsis in humans, making them somewhat dangerous.

Stabilised Adobe construction

Adobe formed from loessic soils (soils formed from silt-rich windblown sand) can be stabilised with Calcium Hydroxide to form a relatively cheap soil-cement analog. These soils are commonly found in the hills around the Rampart mountains and Calcium Hydroxide can be manufactured cheaply from limestone deposits using a GCF (gas-core fusion) furnace. Adding about 7-8% calcium hydroxide turns loessic soils into a cement-like mix that is strong and resistant to abrasion.

As the materials are cheaply available and can be easily constructed on frames by hand, they are widely used in the badlands where the poor roads and rough terrain make bringing in concrete printers infeasible or prohibitively expensive.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back