Seeking Someone to teach me the Mythras Ruleset

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Templum Domini

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
As Mythras seems like both a fun system and the most popular system on this site, I've decided that to expand my presence here beyond griping and arguing (I'm really sorry about that, believe me), I am going to learn both the system and GMing in that system. Does anyone want to help me do so?

Also, I have to ask: Can Mage the Ascension and/or Mage the Awakening be played using the Mythras system instead of the WoD or CofD ones?

Edit: Alternatively, I'm also thinking of a game about Magical Boys and Girls.

I think one could convert the concepts of Mage to Mythras certainly - it might even be possible to port the magic system wholesale, though it would take a bit of effort (I have to admit that I am only familiar with Mage: The Ascension, not Mage The Awakening). Mythras itself has multiple magic systems - there are 5 just in the corebook (Folk Magic, Mysticism, Theism, Sorcery, and Animism), and then multiple supplements. As Mythras descends from the BRP family of games, it's child's play to port in any magic system from any of those related gamelines as well.

Here's a few things I found:

(that was just from a quick google, it's very possible there already exists a complete conversion of Mage's magic system, if not straight to Mythras, then BRP, somewhere online)

Get the free Imperative version and just have a look over the Skills and Combat section p.15-27:

Like most RPGs a small core of the rules cover 90% of use. Outside of combat most rolls will just be using p.15-16

I would say it'd take a good deal of work to bring Mage the Awakening into Mythras. Don't know about Ascension.

I think one could convert the concepts of Mage to Mythras certainly - it might even be possible to port the magic system wholesale, though it would take a bit of effort (I have to admit that I am only familiar with Mage: The Ascension, not Mage The Awakening). Mythras itself has multiple magic systems - there are 5 just in the corebook (Folk Magic, Mysticism, Theism, Sorcery, and Animism), and then multiple supplements. As Mythras descends from the BRP family of games, it's child's play to port in any magic system from any of those related gamelines as well.

Here's a few things I found:

(that was just from a quick google, it's very possible there already exists a complete conversion of Mage's magic system, if not straight to Mythras, then BRP, somewhere online)

Thanks, guys! I was already going with Magical Girls and Boys, but the links below will still be of great help!

Edit: I was also going to go with a world where instead of the current Pandemic, we get a Return of Magic like in Shadowrun.

Séadna Séadna , TristramEvans TristramEvans , sorry to double-post, but I've decided to go with a game set in 204X, two decades after the 'Fantasy Plague' swept through the world instead of Covid. Basically, this plague (also called the Witchplague), gave people powers, transformed a few of them into Elves, Orcs, Dwarves and Trolls, and also turned animals into monsters. Dragons also returned to the world like in Shadowrun.

Now the world is crapsack and about to fall apart, but the PCs (who are children from 13 to 16, by the way), get the power to fix it by transforming into Magical Girls and Boys with immense powers which make them the top of the Supernatural heap, and are tasked to do so, fighting corporations, governments, and militaries as well as Vampires and Dragons.

What would be your interest in such a game?

Sounds ike an interesing premise, maybe shades of Madoka Magica mixed with...well, I guess yeah, Shadowrun is the go-to example. Sounds like a lot of work as ar as world-building. What would be your reasons for using Mythras as opposed to a lighter anime-style system such as BESM or OAV?

Sounds ike an interesing premise, maybe shades of Madoka Magica mixed with...well, I guess yeah, Shadowrun is the go-to example. Sounds like a lot of work as ar as world-building. What would be your reasons for using Mythras as opposed to a lighter anime-style system such as BESM or OAV?

Mythras is popular here and I want to run the game here. Call me selfish, but that's the main reason - People here won't play BESM or OAV.

Ah. Well if your intent is to go with Mythras than I uggest beyond the core Luthor Arkwright might be one of the first thins you want to look at, as it's one of the few "modern/scifi" interpretations of the system. Also, I know Raleel Raleel has done some work on cybernetic rules for Mythras, which may be worth looking into.

Ah. Well if your intent is to go with Mythras than I uggest beyond the core Luthor Arkwright might be one of the first thins you want to look at, as it's one of the few "modern/scifi" interpretations of the system. Also, I know Raleel Raleel has done some work on cybernetic rules for Mythras, which may be worth looking into.

Yeah, I pinged Raleel on Discord, but he seems to be asleep.

If he's in the US, that's likely. It's 4 am here in Canuckistan

By the way, interested in being a player? I can't promise I'd GM the way you want (I lean towards storygaming, sadly for some people here), but I can and will accommodate the needs of my players...

Edit: Sorry for double-posting.

Alright. Resources. The discord is going to be the best start. You have the link. Largely because if you are at +15 time zones from me, we are rarely going to overlap well. You are looking to hit up @nigel_clarke on the Mythras discord particularly, because he runs starter games. Normally not your genre, but mechanics will be there. There are others as well, and a lot of folks who can answer questions. The traffic can be fairly high at times, but there are many good people to learn from

I see Tristram found the mage links. The short of my view is that you can use sorcery, and essentially going to have 10 skills - 1 for each of the spheres that are used much like shaping and 1 for arete that is used like invocation in the core. Without the big core book, you are going to be constructing it entirely on your own.

as for Shadowrun, Google “raleel jsnead Mythras Shadowrun” for a good thread and some work I’ve done on my site. However, if I had had the forthcoming (like… really soon now) Destined superheroes supplement for Mythras, I might have not done anything but just used that. There are also cybernetic rules in one of the M-space books (Mythras third party sci fi) and I think some in the newly released Rubble and Ruin (third party Mythras post apocolyptic). The super easy options include using folk magic as cybernetics and creature traits as cybernetics (the latter is a little more core rule book focused).

make sure you know about the Mythras Encounter Generator and notesfrompavis.com. Both are great resources, and the latter has lots of chest sheets for new GMs and players. Also, make sure you understand passions well. I strongly suspect they will match your playstyle well.

Loz Loz might have some experience with something in this vein and know something I’ve forgotten. His groups have done some pretty out there stuff with Mythras.

honestly, as far as BESM and OAV, I know nothing about them but I also think the pub is likely to have some people that play that. The Big Purple probably has a pile as well.

Alright. Resources. The discord is going to be the best start. You have the link. Largely because if you are at +15 time zones from me, we are rarely going to overlap well. You are looking to hit up @nigel_clarke on the Mythras discord particularly, because he runs starter games. Normally not your genre, but mechanics will be there. There are others as well, and a lot of folks who can answer questions. The traffic can be fairly high at times, but there are many good people to learn from

I see Tristram found the mage links. The short of my view is that you can use sorcery, and essentially going to have 10 skills - 1 for each of the spheres that are used much like shaping and 1 for arete that is used like invocation in the core. Without the big core book, you are going to be constructing it entirely on your own.

as for Shadowrun, Google “raleel jsnead Mythras Shadowrun” for a good thread and some work I’ve done on my site. However, if I had had the forthcoming (like… really soon now) Destined superheroes supplement for Mythras, I might have not done anything but just used that. There are also cybernetic rules in one of the M-space books (Mythras third party sci fi) and I think some in the newly released Rubble and Ruin (third party Mythras post apocolyptic). The super easy options include using folk magic as cybernetics and creature traits as cybernetics (the latter is a little more core rule book focused).

make sure you know about the Mythras Encounter Generator and notesfrompavis.com. Both are great resources, and the latter has lots of chest sheets for new GMs and players. Also, make sure you understand passions well. I strongly suspect they will match your playstyle well.

Loz Loz might have some experience with something in this vein and know something I’ve forgotten. His groups have done some pretty out there stuff with Mythras.

honestly, as far as BESM and OAV, I know nothing about them but I also think the pub is likely to have some people that play that. The Big Purple probably has a pile as well.

Sorry for the delay, I was busy making this:

Can you tell me what you think?

I'm seeking stronger glasses /better eyes so I can read the book but I guess that's a different problem.

Last time I ran Runequest was the chainmail bikini /nipple tassles of death version. Since then mongoose has had a pile of my cash (though it looks like the stuff was sold in a wife enforced purge).

Can anyone post up a short history /difference between versions?

I'm seeking stronger glasses /better eyes so I can read the book but I guess that's a different problem.

Last time I ran Runequest was the chainmail bikini /nipple tassles of death version. Since then mongoose has had a pile of my cash (though it looks like the stuff was sold in a wife enforced purge).

Can anyone post up a short history /difference between versions?

I think bigger font is the single most requested improvement to Mythras.

I think bigger font is the single most requested improvement to Mythras.
Yeah this. I think they've got the blueprint with Lyonesse; it's just about perfect.

RQ 6 did seem to be more generally readable
oh, it for sure is. the reduction in the font allowed for the physical book to be MUCH smaller, and therefore less expensive. the Mythrasization of Monster Island didn't reduce the font size and it is a lot easier to read, even without glasses.

@ Templum Domini

As Raleel advises, Nigel Clarke is doing great things with introductory games for Mythras. The genre doesn't matter; but getting familiar with how Mythras does things is the best place to start.

I'd recommend Mythras Imperative, as others have done, but also 'Shrine of the Traitor Gods' which is a highly structured beginners' scenario for Mythras designed to introduce the concepts to complete beginners.

I also HIGHLY recommend Inwils' YouTube channel which has countless playthroughs, rules explanations, How Tos, and even a Lyonesse game run by me... a fantastic resource.

For your Magical Boys & Girls setting, you should also find After the Vampire Wars very useful, as it also deals with awakened races following a devastating confrontation.

Good luck on your journey into Mythras!

For your Magical Boys & Girls setting, you should also find After the Vampire Wars very useful, as it also deals with awakened races following a devastating confrontation.
After The Vampire Wars is the first thing I'd look at for using Mythras as any sort of World of Darkness 'homage'... though it takes a different approach (monsters out of the darkness and into the light... kinda like True Blood) that I'd probably choose to ignore.
IIRC it uses a version of John Snead's magic system from Enlightened Magic... so sortakinda aimed at real world magical notions vs. the wiz-bang stuff of most fantasy games.
I'm not sure how that compares to either version of Mage though.

Last edited:
RQ 6 did seem to be more generally readable
My dream is that someday Mythras will be re-released in a font type that doesn't make my eyes go on strike. Some day and hopefully before I die. Such a solid system. Font type and boldness of something like how the Savage Worlds books are written would be blissful for me.

I think this Mythras-based, updated version is what people are referring to.
Oh, thought it was the old BRP one. Interesting, need to snag that now. lol. Thanks Nick.

Edit. Oh, yep need to order this. I'm waiting on a couple of M-Space adventures to finally print and ship so I'll wait until those are done. DriveThruRpg can be persnickety at times when I have multiple orders open I've found. :/ They shipped half of the last pod's and I'm waiting on others to ship still. (grumble)

p.s: I don't even want to get into my current issue with Noble Knight Games and a preorder I have that's still open months later.

Last edited:
After The Vampire Wars is the first thing I'd look at for using Mythras as any sort of World of Darkness 'homage'... though it takes a different approach (monsters out of the darkness and into the light... kinda like True Blood) that I'd probably choose to ignore.
IIRC it uses a version of John Snead's magic system from Enlightened Magic... so sortakinda aimed at real world magical notions vs. the wiz-bang stuff of most fantasy games.
I'm not sure how that compares to either version of Mage though.

I am no longer planning to run Mage, sadly.

I'm planning to run something else.

I'd noticed... but meant it more as a general comment about Mythras doing such a thing, if a person wanted such a thing. Which a person might not.

Ah, well, Mage (both versions) tries to align itself with IRL occult/magical traditions, with varying successes.

I redid the Homebrew Rules:

Homebrew Rules:

Mortal Selves:

Your Mortal Self is a teenager, 13 to 16, who is preferably Human (although other races like Elves or Orcs are permitted). As we are using the free rules in Mythras: Imperative (accessible through the Thedesignmechanic website), we are not using age categories. Nevertheless, use basic logic and common sense when making your character and do not give them Skills or Careers which they should not have (and if you give them Courtesan, expect a ban).

We will be using thePoint Build’ option in Mythras: Imperative (the Free Rules) where players assign Characteristic scores from a predetermined pool of 75 points. Characteristics cannot be lower than 3 (8 for Int and Size) or higher than 18. However, because you are teenagers, you cannot increase your Size beyond 9.

All characters start with the Civilized Culture.

Transformed Forms:

You’re kids, yet you need to fight without getting riddled with bullets, conduct diplomacy with adults without getting laughed at, and hack into secure networks to get cash or information you need to survive. How can you do that? By transforming into your ideal self, of course!

A Magical Boy/Girl’s ‘Transformed Form’ is better, faster, stronger, and has access to skills and expertise you do not have. This is represented by a second character sheet representing one’s Transformed Form, which you can transform to by spending one Action Point and one Power Point. Note that there is a time limit imposed by your Power Characteristic; if your POW is 18, you can spend 18 hours as a Magical Boy/Girl; if your POW is 3, you can only spend 3 hours, and so on.

The Transformed Form is represented by a second Character Sheet which has a whopping 110 points for Characteristics, and unlike Mundane Selves, you can spend as much of it on Size as you want. Transformed Forms also get a free Combat Style related to your ideal self’s appearance (for example, a Viking-themed Transformed Form will know how to use an ax, a shield, a longsword, and spear), the ‘Magic’ Skill at 50% (which can be increased by spending points), and a modified version of the Inherent Armor (Superpowers, Mythras Initiative) which is equal to half one's Constitution Characteristic instead of one-third and immune to Armor Piercing ammunition (Mythras Firearms) or the ‘Bypass Armor’ Special Effect (Mythras Initiative).

You also get 1 extra Luck Point, have unlimited ammunition (when using ranged weapons) and all melee weapons can inflict two Special Effects when rolling higher than one’s opponent instead of just one. As for Ranged Weapons, their appearances are only cosmetic, meaning that a Bow and a Rifle can have the same damage.

Once per encounter, you can roll your strongest Passion to automatically heal one-third of your Hit Points, keeping yourself in the fight. On a Critical Success, you heal all wounds, even Maiming, unless told otherwise by the GM.

For non-combat use, your Transformed Form also has a ‘Transformed Career’, which allows you to distribute a full 300 points to the career’s listed Standard Skills and whatever Professional Skills were chosen. However, those Skills can only be accessed when transforming into your Magical Boy/Girl form and those cannot be enhanced with Bonus Points. This penalty applies even when your Un-transformed and Transformed Forms have the same Career.

Transformed and Mundane Deaths:

When your Transformed Form dies, you revert to your Mundane Self immediately; said Mundane Self is uninjured until it itself suffers damage. If your Mundane Self dies, you die unless resurrected, which will take a major sub-quest to accomplish. Note however that Resurrection is a possibility - There is something cosmic looking out for you!

One thing I didn't expect to see Mythras being used for was "magical boys and girls"...:shade:
But of course, Mythras can do that, too:grin:!

Which ones, exactly?
Fair warning, I might not be the right person to ask about what he thinks about grim games:grin:!

This:

Mythras Custom: Hope’s Refuge (Magical Boys and Magical Girls)

It is the year 204X, two decades since the Arcanomorphic Plague swept through human society, leaving no corner of the world untouched. The first sign of the Return of Magic, the Plague turned ordinary humans into Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Vampires, and Halflings, while creating new monsters from plants and animals. Not only that, but intelligent creatures long-thought myth such as Dragons, Cherubim, and Djinn have been unsealed from the Earth, causing more chaos on Earth.

Now, things have begun to settle down, as governments rebuilt themselves, vaccines were developed to stop the Plague from changing one’s species involuntarily, and sorcerers and theurgists tapped onto new sources of power to benefit mankind. However, the shock and trauma of the Return of Magic have caused Humanity to lose faith in itself, in the progress and cooperation which made the success of the modern world possible. And when faith in progress and cooperation are lost, the abyss whispers.

Crime and terrorism are rising, politicians and corporations are cooperating together to loot the planet’s natural resources, and legal slavery has returned in some countries. Cults have risen up to worship dark powers which call for blood and suffering, monsters ravage the globe. Despite everything Humanity is doing, all feel like they can fall apart at any moment.

But there is hope in the unlikeliest of places. A group of children who had been kidnapped as ‘sacrifices’ by a malign coven has been bestowed power overwhelming, a power which can allow them to transform into their ‘ideal selves' in order to Restore Hope to the world. This task is great, the perils overwhelming. However, they cannot go back to what lives they have - They only have the future.

This is my first Mythras game, and the first one I am GMing. However, it won’t be my last. The premise is simple: Basically, Magical Boys and Girls in a world gone mad. It will be a combination of Shadowrun, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and the Original Fantasy web novel Sailor Nothing (the more hopeful parts, not the edgelord parts), where hope is existent but not easy to reach.

I knew that I'm just the wrong person to ask:grin:!

...let's just say that to me, the above reads as hopeful...granted, mainly due to the last paragraph:thumbsup:!
The rest of it is what I call "standard setting-building". Did I mention I like cyberpunk, BTW?

Oh, and I'd only object to the introduction of fantasy species:tongue:!
I mean, I thought it was lame back when I read Shadowrun for the first time. Haven't changed my opinion since then:devil:!

Let's just say I recommend getting another opinion as well:shade:!

I knew that I'm just the wrong person to ask:grin:!

...let's just say that to me, the above reads as hopeful...granted, mainly due to the last paragraph:thumbsup:!
The rest of it is what I call "standard setting-building". Did I mention I like cyberpunk, BTW?

Oh, and I'd only object to the introduction of fantasy species:tongue:!
I mean, I thought it was lame back when I read Shadowrun for the first time. Haven't changed my opinion since then:devil:!

Let's just say I recommend getting another opinion as well:shade:!

I was inspired by Shadowrun, yes.

I love Shadowrun, but I don't know what the purpose i here, in having the fantasy races, especially since you introduced a vaccine to prevent them on top of that, and it seems like they aren't intended for player characters anyways, as you already have the "Magical Boy/Girl" thing going on. Do they play some role in the setting that I'm not seeing?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back