[semi OSR] Galactic Dragons: Immortal Heroes of the Celestial Aether

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Dammit Victor

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
That hella pretentious mouthful is the title of the game I'm currently developing-- started off as an attempt to blend the mechanics of Dragonfist and AD&D Player's Option with a much simpler (more BECMI-like) base mechanic. Along the way, it's picked up some elements of ICE and Palladium games, and drifted somewhat further away from its D&D roots-- but it's still a d20-based system.

The heart of the Galactic Dragons system are the proficiencies and "options". Characters get a bunch of proficiencies up-front from their race, class, and background, and then an additional proficiency each odd level. They get a smaller number of options up-front from their class and race, and then one additional option from each at a much lower frequency, every 4-6 levels or so.

I'm having some trouble with the class system at the moment, because the way I have it laid out-- with what classes do. mechanically-- there's really only room for the Warrior, Rogue, and Magician classes. While each of these can have subclasses a la AD&D or 5e, I'm not seeing a clear design space for separating out a Priest class from the Magician, or Bard from Rogue, or so on.

Right now, each class grants the following items:
  • Hit Dice: d6 to d10
  • Combat Bonus: +0 for Magicians, +2/3 for Rogues, +5 for Warriors.
  • Spell Bonus: +0 for Warriors, +2/3 for Rogues, +5 for Magicians.
  • Fort/Ref/Will saving throw bonuses.
  • Class Options
  • Starting Proficiencies
  • Proficiency Bonuses: certain proficiencies and proficiency ranks have additional bonuses for members of different races/classes

I am thinking that I would like to separate Priests from Magicians, and possibly further, and I'm pondering some kind of Paladin/Warlock option. Not sure I see how it fits into this structure, however, especially given the variety of different Priests and Warlocks I should like to represent.

I should note that I am also considering the possibility of a generic version of this system, for more traditional D&D play rather than my Spelljammer/Boot Hill/Oriental Adventures default setting.

If I correctly understand your concern, your options are either
  1. to settle on these other classes being subclasses of the three classes you've begun with,
  2. to increase the number of mechanical levers you have to work with (increasing your list of 7),
  3. to increase the number of options within one or more mechanical levers you have to work with, or
  4. to use a combination of the above.

It seems you are rejecting the first option of relying on subclasses.

The second option is adding to the list of mechanical levers (hit dice, combat bonus, spell bonus, etc.). You could easily incorporate the concept of a class defense bonus.

This gives you an additional lever upon which to separate one class from another. In addition, this lever is one, like the attack bonus, has multiple scales you may rely on. This likely requires revisiting a bunch of math which you may or may not feel is worth it in order to allow you to differentiate the classes.

The third option would be to incorporate another scale into your levers that take scales, such as the combat and spell bonus. This is also a wonderful math exercise but gives you an additional scale to work with so that you create room for additional classes.

And, then obviously, all of the above for the win!

That hella pretentious mouthful
I believe you've misspelled "hella A W E S O M E mouthful":smile:
That said, given that I know absolutely nothing about Dragon Fist, but I believe I got the gist of the setting and game you want, I'd just keep the three classes as they are and allow customization through class options, proficiencies etc.
Since you're giving many upfront as it were, there should be no problem for a character who wants to play a Bard to choose to play a thief and select the "Bardic Music" class option; or for someone who wants to play a Holy character to select the "Ordained Holy Warrior" class option.
Perhaps You could make a list of "general" class options everybody can take.

It might actually be arguable that priests could be closer to rogues, and I'm not just saying that as a staunch atheist. The reclusive holy men might qualify for the "magician" level of power/martial ability, whereas others might just be warriors, maybe with some special ability.

Heck, if this has Eastern influences, the distinction is pretty meaningless anyway. That's one D&D-ism that doesn't need to be retained. The DragonFist Wizard/Cleric equivalents weren't really worth it, and could easily be handled by a "kit" based approach to a single class. Or if you're OSR AF, with a single class and style and/or "rulings" and/or random tables.

Heck, if this has any real world influences, the distinction is pretty meaningless anyway.

Fixed it for you ;)

Crypts & Things uses Akrasia Akrasia 's fix of doing away with the Cleric and folding all divine magic into the Magician's spell list.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back