Settings you wish had an RPG treatment

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Stargate. The series of novels that predate the original movie. Ra was the only alien and all the other 'gods' are his high-ranking human lieutenants who have fallen to squabbling over the remains of his empire.

My favorite settings are ones that I would actually wish never got treatments because those favorites that have gotten treatments are usually done--to my perspective--poorly. The publishing need to create so many limited spectrum niche-IP-setting games is astonishing. Most, not all, could be done perhaps better as sourcebooks for existing games.

Let's take any or all of John Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy. Does The Thing need its own game? Or would it be better served by merely a campaign book for CoC (or better still) Delta Green? Ditto for Nada and Frank in They Live.

Homebrewed version of existing settings is kind of like misheard lyrics. Sometimes, the lyrics someone makes up to fill in what they can't interpret are better than the actual words written for the song. Sometimes, anyway.

Stargate. The series of novels that predate the original movie. Ra was the only alien and all the other 'gods' are his high-ranking human lieutenants who have fallen to squabbling over the remains of his empire.
Also totally covered by Tri Tac’s Fringeworthy years before.

There is a Stargate RPG. It's 5e, but the information is nice. Not sure if it has anything from the novels, though.

There is an unofficial Thundarr treatment for Mutant Future, you can find it linked on the right hand side of the Savage Aftermath blog
http://savageafterworld.blogspot.com
There was also an unofficial Thundarr game based on the engine from Over The Edge and one of the Cartoon Action Hours setting books has a serials filled off version.

None of these ever really get to the heart of the matter of what would be required for running a proper Thundarr campaign in my view. Unless one is just running the odd one-shot, the device that Thundarr and co are riding across America and just accidentally stumbling onto a Wizard each week isn't really going to fly. It is all very random. It requires a bit more world building to sustain an ongoing game in my view. We get glimpses in the odd episodes that the different Wizards are aware of each other and somewhat organised. Putting a bit of thought into that and into how Thundarr's team get their intelligence on the Wizards would go a long way towards making that wonderful gonzo setting really playable.

Yeah, I've spent too much time thinking about this.

I've always thought that a ROM or Micronauts game would be a blast. The latter has such a rich universe, thanks to Marvel's now-classic comics, and it lends itself to various grades of darkness depending on how one likes one's SF.

And ROM's just cool. Come on, wouldn't you want to play a Spaceknight?

ROM as described in the Marvel comics? With the alien dire-wraiths and such? That'd be awesome. It forever amuses me that they spun a one-off and story-less toy into such a cool cosmic epic.

So is anything with gates just a rip-off? Eclipse Phase has them too, and it has a totally different feel and such.
If you google Fringeworthy and Star Gate you'll find plenty of people that feel the movie is awfully like the RPG.

Locke and Key and Another Life are ones that seem to be workable as an RPG situation.

This one could be hard, but something like it can be interesting... Archive 81 All games with time travel elements can be problematic. However, one that could be done is Outlander (Book or TV series (and the TV series is pretty close to the book) )

If you google Fringeworthy and Star Gate you'll find plenty of people that feel the movie is awfully like the RPG.

As a member of Team Tri-Tac, both sides saw it as a losing battle and a waste of money - as whoever won would actually lose.

Venture Brothers
The Tick

Heck they are almost a shared universe

Thundarr
Archer

Yes! Then I could annoy the players by doing bad impersonations of... THE MONARCH!

Monarch_8289.jpg

Yes! Then I could annoy the players by doing bad impersonations of... THE MONARCH!

Monarch_8289.jpg
Look no further:

As I prepped (and began to play) a game based on Tales of the Gold Monkey — using Mercenaries, Spies & Private Eyes — I found myself wanting stats and setting information compiled by someone who knows the source material better than I do. A nice little guide with major NPCs' numbers, including a mini-gazetteer, would be more than enough.

However, they'd really earn bonus points if they made a boxed set with maps and stuff, plus a replica of Jack's false eye.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back